• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

omgkitty

682_box_348x490_DF_original.jpg
683_box_348x490_DF_original.jpg

684_DF_box_348x480_original.jpg
123_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

swoon

yea they are all great (and most of the "World cinema" box is good to great despite how awful that tile is)

nashville, grey gardens and citizen... are classics, sorry ya'll didn't get yet another blu-ray copy of robocop!

omgkitty

yea they are all great (and most of the "World cinema" box is good to great despite how awful that tile is)

nashville, grey gardens and citizen... are classics, sorry ya'll didn't get yet another blu-ray copy of robocop!

I just want Le Samourai damnit

codhand

RIP Karen Black, but not a fan of nashville the film, the city is awesome, based on my one short visit :p

mccabe and mrs miller needs a blu ray stat

swoon

i like the city of nashville somewhat less, though i guess my folks live in brentwood and i gotta drive into the city which is a drag.

the movie is rather perfect.

big ander

damn guys. Nashville is one of the best movies ever, fullstop. incredible. Old commentary, sure, but a doc and a Haskell essay's enough for me.
The "world cinema" box (just have to tell myself that Marty's more than conscious of the connotations of that categorization but can't think of another way to make the foundation self-explanatory to those who fund it) looks interesting, remember people in here or in the movies thread talking about The Housemaid very positively. My problem with it is this dual format deal...$100 for 9 discs sounds alright, but I'm not ever going to use the 6 dvds part of it so when you think $100 for 3 discs of 6 movies it sounds like a slightly worse deal. Still pretty good, will have to see.
Have seen neither of the others. Grey Gardens sounds fascinating. Citizen Under Suspicion is an italian crime film from the 70s, and I've loved the handful of those I've seen. and it has an awesome cover. Seems a pretty cool month to me.

swoon

The "world cinema" box (just have to tell myself that Marty's more than conscious of the connotations of that categorization but can't think of another way to make the foundation self-explanatory to those who fund it) looks interesting, remember people in here or in the movies thread talking about The Housemaid very positively. My problem with it is this dual format deal...$100 for 9 discs sounds alright, but I'm not ever going to use the 6 dvds part of it so when you think $100 for 3 discs of 6 movies it sounds like a slightly worse deal. Still pretty good, will have to see.e.

it's like so bad though - and then not even giving the discs the dual disc treatment really just reinforces the second class nature of the films, especially when all criterion does is release "world cinema"

not to mention all cinema is of the world, see also jhumpa lahiri's recent comments on her being an "immigrant writer"

big ander

it's like so bad though - and then not even giving the discs the dual disc treatment really just reinforces the second class nature of the films, especially when all criterion does is release "world cinema"

not to mention all cinema is of the world, see also jhumpa lahiri's recent comments on her being an "immigrant writer"
I hadn't even though about the fact that this is being labeled "world cinema" as if Criterion normally focuses on one nation...bleh. so disheartening.
definitely reading up on lahiri.

"Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project" is just a plain bad title. Don't these guys know Wim Wenders has as much of a stake?

All that said, way to upstage MoC's previous WCP announcement. Looks like the costs of licensing Nashville have reduced its supplements somewhat, but the package looks impressive (and it's been 13 years since the first DVD release). Grey Gardens Blu and Investigation looks like good future buys, too. Nothing to complain with the covers this month—that's one kickin' American flag.

This will be the first instance of Alan Rudolph in the Collection; the day they release The Moderns, Mrs. Parker, or any of his myriad films will be a great one. Of course, there ought to be more Altman first (The Long Goodbye's still without a Blu!).

Kind of weird that Criterion isn't going to release a single Kurosawa film in 2013. I would have really liked an Ikiru upgrade at least. Oh well.

omgkitty

Always when I'm low on money! Bastards! Going for Rossellini Bergman set and Autumn Sonata regardless.

Edit: Prices aren't live yet. Everything is showing regular price for me.

Edit edit: Code for the discount is INGRID

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't believe The Squid And The Whale isn't on Criterion.

Well, I got Colonel Blimp, Brazil, Late Spring, Mystery Train, Life Is Sweet, and To Be Or Not To Be. Went in blind on that last one... but hell, Jack Benny.

My haul:

Rossellini Bergman
Maitresse
Threepenny Opera
Blast of Silence

Two films I can't view on Hulu and two that are fairly loaded and ought to be out-of-print sometime in the near-future. Crazy awesome that this happened so soon!

ngower

No money for this one. Super bummed—just recently made a BR upgrade, so was hoping to upgrade my favorite titles. ;_;

Yeah, Lionsgata owns the Region 1 rights for many of CC's OOP titles, and StudioCanal's their European affiliate—they've basically taken away video rights to minimize sales competition. That's the main reason Criterion still hasn't Blu-ed Ran.

Anastasia

Just picked up:

Eclipse Series 17:
Nikkatsu Noir

Eclipse Series 11:
Larisa Shepitko

Eclipse Series 26:
Silent Naruse

50% discount + $10 credit I totally forgot I had + free shipping + no tax = *feelsgood*

cj_iwakura

Yeah, Lionsgata owns the Region 1 rights for many of CC's OOP titles, and StudioCanal's their European affiliate—they've basically taken away video rights to minimize sales competition. That's the main reason Criterion still hasn't Blu-ed Ran.

That Japanese 'let's minimize availability to increase profit!' logic in full effect.

Hey, it works on some people. I'm contemplating buying Breathless just because there are rumors that it's going out of print and to Studio Canal.

I can't believe The Squid And The Whale isn't on Criterion.

Well, I got Colonel Blimp, Brazil, Late Spring, Mystery Train, Life Is Sweet, and To Be Or Not To Be. Went in blind on that last one... but hell, Jack Benny.

Very clairvoyant for a blind man. Also Lubitsch, Carole Lombard and one of the greatest comedies of all time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone think Withnail and I will come out on Criterion blu, or is it not theirs anymore and I should just get that standard version on blu?

swoon

Anyone think Withnail and I will come out on Criterion blu, or is it not theirs anymore and I should just get that standard version on blu?

thier dvd didn't have any extras that i remember and was awful looking as well. i'd get the new blu, it looks great and is super cheap.

I just picked the up The Blob (for Halloween), The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, and Slackers. Feel free to weigh in on these purchases.

Colonel Blimp is one of my favorite films of all time. Haven't seen Slacker or The Blob (though I own both), but it's already a good purchase just because of how hot Colonel Blimp is.

Top Bottom