• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3) - No Riddler

Status
Not open for further replies.
_dementia said:
She's such a horrible actress though.

I liked her Rachel a lot more than Maggie's. I felt there was some actual charm there and some chemistry between her and Bale; Maggie on the other hand had no emotional resonance at all. When she died I absolutely did not care. There was no weight behind that whatsoever.

Discotheque said:
LOL@ Buckethead wanting some cheerful push it to the limit 80s style film. What's even more ridiculous is that he's asking for that in a NOLAN BATMAN thread.
I never said that.
I just pointed out the ridiculousness of taking a show from one spectrum to another as further proof of Mann's giant ego.

effzee

brandonh83 said:
I liked her Rachel a lot more than Maggie's. I felt there was some actual charm there and some chemistry between her and Bale; Maggie on the other hand had no emotional resonance at all. When she died I absolutely did not care. There was no weight behind that whatsoever.

Exactly. Maggie is a superior actress but she never really played Rachel anywhere near how Rachel was portrayed in the first movie.

Also I just how love how information will start trickling out slowly now. I remember following the making of the TDK here on GAF and it was a lot of fun. Summer 2007 I went to see the Simpsons movie with no idea that the teaser trailer would be attached. I remember jizzing in my pants watching that.

DMczaf

I wish Katie didn't go batshit insane in 2005. It would have made her death a lot more meaningful in TDK since we've been with her since Batman Begins. Katie slapped Bruce! TWICE!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DMczaf said:
You mean technology like using IMAX cameras?
smiley_smug.gif

Technology so hardcore no one can follow.
Imax is hardly cutting edge and has been around forever.

effzee said:
Exactly. Maggie is a superior actress but she never really played Rachel anywhere near how Rachel was portrayed in the first movie.

It was just too much of a disconnect for me. I'm not proclaiming that Katie is a fantastic actress, but I don't think Maggie is either (at least not in TDK) and Katie had the character established already from the first film. Sometimes there is just more than a technically better performance and I find this to be a good example.

If Katie were playing Rachel in TDK and Bale's script and acting was better in relation to her character and their overall character development, I probably would have felt something when she blew up. But all I saw was Maggie Gyllenhaal blow up, who spent the better part of the first half of the film being a floozy and leading Bruce on.

DMczaf

Remember when Katie went on Letterman during Batman Begins's release week and promoted War of the Worlds? :lol

Oh Katie.

I actually enjoyed Katie's portrayal quite a bit.

One criticism of Katie is that she's too cutesy whatever, but Maggie totally
came off as hyper-feminine. I didn't really get a strong/intelligent lawyer type vibe from her.

Partly due to the writing, but I don't know her posture and whatever with Harvey was always so... weird.

Why did yall bring up the Rachels again?

DMczaf said:
I wish Katie didn't go batshit insane in 2005. It would have made her death a lot more meaningful in TDK since we've been with her since Batman Begins. Katie slapped Bruce! TWICE!

truth

maggie was alright but just for the sake of her dying katie would have added a much greater punch

Nizz

DMczaf said:
I agree with this post so much. I mean, her character was going to meet her end anyway. They should have just kept her in. That's always bothered me.

Not too big on the movie title, but it'll probably grow on me. I think Nolan could make The Penguin work in his movie. Cast Philip Seymore Hoffman as an eccentric weapons dealer. He doesn't need penguins with little rockets attached to their backs. :lol

2012 is going to be crazy. New Batman movie as well as a reboot of my favorite comic hero ever, Spiderman. :D

JaseMath

I don't care for the title either, buy honestly, this movie could be called, "Batman: Hugs and Hive-Fives" and I'd still stand in line for three hours for the midnight show.

Rich!

JasonMCG said:
I don't care for the title either, buy honestly, this movie could be called, "Batman: Hugs and Hive-Fives" and I'd still stand in line for three hours for the midnight show.

Uh yeah, I wouldnt. Fuck that.

I'd book the tickets online a week beforehand and then just waltz in on the night

JGS

Banned
Buckethead said:
I actually enjoyed Katie's portrayal quite a bit.

One criticism of Katie is that she's too cutesy whatever, but Maggie totally
came off as hyper-feminine. I didn't really get a strong/intelligent lawyer type vibe from her.

Partly due to the writing, but I don't know her posture and whatever with Harvey was always so... weird.

Why did yall bring up the Rachels again?
Agreed.

I lean toward Katie because she was first. I think Maggie is the better actress, but saw no chemistry between her, Harvey, or Bruce.

soyboy

I'm kind of sad that we'll never see a "World's Greatest Detective" film. They really need to play up that Batman just isn't a dude who beats up criminals but also a master detective who can outwit his foes.

soyboy said:
I'm kind of sad that we'll never see a "World's Greatest Detective" film. They really need to play up that Batman just isn't a dude who beats up criminals but also a master detective who can outwit his foes.
If the Riddler was in it that title would be perfect.

Leunam said:
Do people forget that Bane is actually incredibly smart and knows Batmans true identity or do they just not know?
People still think he's just some juiced up guy, but really, he doesn't even use venom in the comics anymore.

Bane is a fantastic villain. I'd love to see him obserb (stalk) Batman like he did in Knightfall, and slowly break him!

People, seriously, read up on Bane. He's Batman's equal on many levels.

PhoenixDark said:
Nolan>Cameron confirmed again

14a3as.jpg

As for the title...it makes sense to use Rises, but it's still horribly clumsy and inelegant. I think Batman Begins worked because it was short and sweet, and we hadn't had a "normal" Batman title in over a decade. I mean, Batman Forever? What the hell did Batman "Forever" even mean? Or Batman and Robin? That movie wasn't about Batman and Robin...it was about Arnold cracking ice jokes and Bat-nipples. Prior titles for the sake of titles, really.

I suppose my biggest issue with "-Rises" (beyond how clumsy it is) is that I don't want to see some sort of golden revelation or embrace of Batman by the end. I'd much prefer something akin to Knightfall, where the people of Gotham embrace Batman not because they need him, but because there are far, far, far worse things than him. Like Bane and Azrael.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom