• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3) - No Riddler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

Do people forget that Bane is actually incredibly smart and knows Batmans true identity or do they just not know?

Miguel

badcrumble said:
you are literally just listing these because they were in the burton/schumacher films

32ztcwn.gifb363_o.png

My reaction... to his post then reading your comment

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
vicissitudes said:
IMO, the really iconic Batman villains are: Joker, Two-face, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, and maaaybe Bane. These are the villains everyone recognizes.

Until the Shumaker films, no one knew about Bane, Two Face, or Poison Ivy other than the comic people. The Iconic 4 were Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman, and maybe Mr. Freeze if you want to add a 5th and that was because those 4 were the primary ones in the Adam West Batman, where none of those other enemies made appearances. No one but fanboys knew who Lando was playing in the first two Burton Batman films.

Xater

Title should have been The Dark Knight Returns, even if it has nothing to do with the comic. The Dark Knight Rises is just meh. I will rub one out to this news anyway.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Sir Hamish said:
Harley Quinn would be awesome as a crazy Joker impersonating serial killer and would be a nice parallel to the Batman impersonating vigilantes at the start of the Dark Knight. It could highlight how the Joker's madness is 'infecting' people from behind bars in the same way that Batman is inspiring people.

You can't have Harley Quinn without the Joker. It just wouldn't work.

jett

D-Member
Mr. Sam said:
I personally look forward to a Batman franchise that is neither camp, nor gothic, nor gritty. One where you could have, I dunno, Killer Croc in it and have him be taken seriously. And a Batsuit with grey in it. The suit in Arkham Asylum is how it should be done. And have Mark Hammill play The Joker.

Yeah. Awesome.

AA has fucking awful art design. Nothing about that game is visually pleasant.

Xater

Evlar said:
I would love this, but I doubt it will ever happen.

I will love Nolan even more if he actually gives us Lazarus pits.

Personally I had no problem with him being this more supernatural stuff into the series.

Mr. Sam

HarryDemeanor said:
Please have the Penguin be in this film.
I've read rumours that he was going to be in the second as a British arms dealer. I think he'll play a secondary villain role if he is featured.

And yes, more of Cillian Murphy's scarecrow would be great.

brianjones said:
Riddler seems like he would tread similar ground as the joker to me, but how would be possibly top the joker?

The Riddler is as similar to the Joker as the Joker is to the Scarecrow (besides the fact that they both wear green). The Joker is all about a disregard for the rules and chaos. The Riddler is all about careful planning. Their methods are actually quite different.

Night_Trekker said:
I'm not crazy about the title, but what are you gonna do? I'm sure the movie itself will be worthwhile.

I'm worried about the villain, though. Especially the talk of returning characters... eventually they're going to have to deal directly with the Joker again, and those are going to be some big shoes to fill (RIP Ledger).

Yes I'm wondering about that...I would not like to see scarecrow or Ra's play a big part in this movie (where else can they go with these characters?), the Joker isn't returning, and Two-face is presumably dead...so I hope that part isn't referring to the villains.

Zzoram

If they go for one of the really fantastical villains I think Clayface would be better than Mr. Freeze. Clayface would be fucking terrifying in a live action movie and fit the dark tone better.

Zzoram said:
Catwoman is awful and Riddler is too similar to the Joker.

Poison Ivy and Mr.Freeze are too fantastical for the more realistic Nolan films. Bane has always been a pretty minor villain, he's got big muscles, that's not exactly interesting.

Maybe Nolan will pull out a more cerebral comic book villain that can be grounded in reality.
god, you can always tell who watched the burton/schumacher films and didn't read the comics. Bane is a pretty fucking awesome villain in the comics and the Riddler is basically not at all like the Joker. It just happens that in Batman Forever, both Two-Face and the Riddler are played as stupidly hammy characters, and in Batman and Robin, Bane is played as a muscular guy with basically no brain.

In the comics, the Riddler is a supremely intelligent and manipulative guy who is hamstrung by his own idiosyncrasies and Bane is just as brilliant as he is strong. They're actually villains with a lot of potential.
jett said:
That's not gonna happen.

Whoever Nolan uses will probably be similar in name only. I'm envisioning a Scarecrow-like situation for TDKR.

Personally Nolan has exhausted my two favorite bat-villains(Ra's and Joker), so I really don't care which villains he utilizes.

Except Catwoman. Catwoman is stupid.
Are you sure you want to express any preference about this film instead of just sniping at what other people might like to see? I mean, that'll potentially make it harder to unconditionally love whatever the end product ends up being before you've even seen it :p

Title should be: The God Damned Batman.

I really wanted the Riddler in this one. I'm excited to see who he thinks is a better fit for the movie though. Manbat?

exarkun

Can't believe people are really saying the title is bad. Its a movie. With a title. And the fact that it made it to page 5 with mostly "shitty title" is saddening :(.

Title sounds good, and I'm just sad we won't see it for a while. Such a tease.

jett

D-Member
DrForester said:
Until the Shumaker films, no one knew about Bane, Two Face, or Poison Ivy other than the comic people. The Iconic 4 were Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman, and maybe Mr. Freeze if you want to add a 5th and that was because those 4 were the primary ones in the Adam West Batman, where none of those other enemies made appearances. No one but fanboys knew who Lando was playing in the first two Burton Batman films.

This is the absolute truth.

Arucardo

Leunam said:
Do people forget that Bane is actually incredibly smart and knows Batmans true identity or do they just not know?
Most people probably just don't know it. I keep hoping that Hardy will be playing Bane :D .

Mr. Sam

jett said:
AA has fucking awful art design. Nothing about that game is visually pleasant.
Really? I thought it was a fairly happy balance between camp and gritty. Well, except for the fact that everone - except the Joker and the women - is built like a brick shithouse. The Joker's design is literally the design from the animated series mixed with the one from the movie. Anyway, I'm talking too much.

Cheesy title. I swear I or somebody else posted this title months ago too when we were riffing on names for the sequel.

Well....it's clear he's going to focus more primarily on Batman's redemption in this flick, as the second was kind of his downfall. Main villain will be the public I guess, with the actual villain being secondary.

Bleuck title though.

jett

D-Member
badcrumble said:
god, you can always tell who watched the burton/schumacher films and didn't read the comics. Bane is a pretty fucking awesome villain in the comics and the Riddler is basically not at all like the Joker. It just happens that in Batman Forever, both Two-Face and the Riddler are played as stupidly hammy characters, and in Batman and Robin, Bane is played as a muscular guy with basically no brain.

In the comics, the Riddler is a supremely intelligent and manipulative guy who is hamstrung by his own idiosyncrasies and Bane is just as brilliant as he is strong. They're actually villains with a lot of potential.
Are you sure you want to express any preference about this film instead of just sniping at what other people might like to see? I mean, that'll potentially make it harder to unconditionally love whatever the end product ends up being before you've even seen it :p

Hey, if Nolan decides to go ahead with Catwoman I'll trust his decision, but I'd rather not have her. Right now I'm pretty happy my prediction of no Riddler came true! :p

And shit, if people are allowed to suggest mind-numbingly retarded titles, I'm entitled to state how I feel about a potential villain. :p

BowieZ

Banned
If they really had to recall the title of "The Dark Knight," couldn't it just have been another night/knight pun? Knightfall seems passable.

Also I wonder if it really is just a decoy title to hide the eventual title which hints more at the story?

Xater

Zzoram said:
If they go for one of the really fantastical villains I think Clayface would be better than Mr. Freeze. Clayface would be fucking terrifying in a live action movie and fit the dark tone better.

Killer Croc? He was also rumored not too long ago.

DrForester said:

I thought two-face has always been a prominent villain. I agree Bane is pretty minor/obscure which is why I added maaaybe and Poison Ivy might have been a more obscure villain. Honestly I'm basing this off of various Batman cartoons in the past and general cultural references so I could be wrong.

Busty

Banned
Xater said:
Killer Croc? He was also rumored not too long ago.

Killer Croc would never work in Nolan's bat universe.

You may as well have aliens invading if that's the case.

In other news James Cameron has set Avatar 2 & 3 as his next films, they will be re....

--oh yeah, that's right, no one gives a fuck.

watatatow

Sounds more like the title to a prequel than a conclusion to me.

I liked the "Gotham City" title from those fan posters much better. Oh well.

Evlar

Banned
They could do Sandman (the old Sandman, not Gaiman's). It would be the perfect opportunity for an Inception tie in! Even the title makes sense... Batman is waking up from a dream within a dream!

Zzoram

The only reason I think Clayface would be better than the other fantasticals is because a shapeshifter would fit Nolan's tone better.

Huh. Calling it The Dark Knight Rises makes it sound like "The Dark Knight 2", kinda making BB the black sheep of the three. Shit I'd rather call it "Batman Ends" over this.

Xater

Busty said:

In other news James Cameron has set Avatar 2 & 3 as his next films, they will be re....

--oh yeah, that's right, no one gives a fuck.

I absolutely think you could make Killer Croc work. He could not be the main villain of course. Mor elike a better henchman.

jett

D-Member
watatatow said:
Sounds more like the title to a prequel than a conclusion to me.

I liked the "Gotham City" title from those fan posters much better. Oh well.

"Gotham City" carries no meaning. TDKR is obviously closely related to whatever the movie is about.

longdi

Banned
Dark Knight Rising is much better.

Stupid title, TDK was not really good for repeated viewing, i hope TDKR is less crime caper and more goth supervillian like BB.

Leunam

Busty said:

Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo have shown that it could work (Joker). Croc resembles a disfigured human with scaly skin who has embraced the animal like tendencies his appearance implies.

Still don't get how BB is so good for repeated viewing, it's aging terribly. After his training especially.

I'll applaud Nolan if he goes for more ambition. But yeah, most likely he'll go back to Batman Begins :(

Here's the thing about no Riddler: I don't see any other Batman villain working nearly as well. Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Clayface, Manbat, Calendar guy, they're all way too wacky. Catwoman...she's basically a female version of Batman, with opposite motivations. Not much potential there. Penguin, black mask, and bane could work okay I guess.

besada

Banned
Evlar said:
I would love this, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Honestly it makes perfect sense to me. Other than the Lazarus pits, Ra's al-Ghul is one of the most grounded Batman villains, and one of the only ones who's actually as skilled and as dangerous as he is. In addition, you get to add another major star to your film without worrying that they're going to come off as ridiculous. Toss in a super-hot Talia and you've got a Batman film that Nolan can rock without sliding into the costumed villain morass.

I don't think he'll do it, either, but I wish he would. I can't think of another villain who really fits into the more serious Nolan world, other than KGBeast whose name and obscurity make him a difficult addition. There are plenty of lower-powered Batman villains, but few that don't have either stupid names (Catman, Mad Hatter, Maxie Zeus,etc.) or super powers (Ivy, Killer Croc, Clayface[who I'd like to see anyway], Bane, etc.)

DMczaf

jett said:
"Gotham City" carries no meaning. TDKR is obviously closely related to whatever the movie is about.
This thread will be the Ledger as Joker thread for title announcements, except were getting shitty title ideas instead of "I want Depp!"

jett

D-Member
longdi said:
Dark Knight Rising is much better.

Stupid title, TDK was not really good for repeated viewing, i hope TDKR is less crime caper and more goth supervillian like BB.

goth supervillain huh

And there was a reason TDK was such a huge success, hint: repeated viewings.

Futureman

DrForester said:

Huh? The animated series was pretty huge on Fox and that aired from 1992-1995.

I'm pretty sure all those villians were in the animated series and I knew who they were. I wasn't really into the comic books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom