• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3) - No Riddler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

What an amusing thread.

Title sounds fine to me, though I probably would have preferred something with "Gotham" in it, just because that's what I've had bouncing in my head for a while. Caped Crusader and Shadow of the Bat sound awful, I don't know what some of are you smoking.

This was my favorite:

brandonh83 said:
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Breaking Dawn

see was that so hard?

:lol

jett said:
"Gotham City" carries no meaning. TDKR is obviously closely related to whatever the movie is about.
The best titles are always the one that straightforwardly sum up the plot and major themes of the film. The Assassination of Bruce Wayne by the Coward Selina Kyle.

Ashodin

Government-man said:
What kind of title is that? The dark knight returns? How does that fit into

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

That just fucks up the symmetry.

Fixed, and

2 words

3 words

4 words

numerical progression.

Xater

vicissitudes said:
Here's the thing about no Riddler: I don't see any other Batman villain working nearly as well. Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Clayface, Manbat, Calendar guy, they're all way too wacky. Catwoman...she's basically a female version of Batman, with opposite motivations. Not much potential there. Penguin, black mask, and bane could work okay I guess.

Penguin is way goofier than Killer Croc.

Evlar

Banned
DMczaf said:
This thread will be the Ledger as Joker thread for title announcements, except were getting shitty title ideas instead of "I want Depp!"
I think the emerging GAF consensus is that the title ought to have been I'm the Goddamn Batman, Darling.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Shame there's no Riddler inclusion- seemed like a logical next step having him in a detective/pursuer of Batman role.

Hoping now again on the Tom Hardy/Black Mask possibility, especially if Nolan is going to continue with the gangland theme. Title doesn't bother me one way or the other.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Slumdog Bat: Doing coke and meth

Would've been the ideal title. It really sends across the message of Batman being in the shit

Xater

Or they wanted to go with The Dark Knight Returns but they might have had to pay Frank Miller for using that. Rises was the next best thing. ;)

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Hugo Strange is mentioned in the article by the writer. Reading up on he seems like a nice fit to the movies.

Bane, Two Face and all those characters were all known from Batman the Animated Series.

jett

D-Member
DMczaf said:
This thread will be the Ledger as Joker thread for title announcements, except were getting shitty title ideas instead of "I want Depp!"

More like DERP, amirite.

I do wonder who Tom Hardy is supposed to be in this movie.

longdi

Banned
jett said:
goth supervillain huh

And there was a reason TDK was such a huge success, hint: repeated viewings.

I cannot watch through TDK repeatedly, whole movie is made up of 5 minutes cuts where every actors go free flow in witty quips.

Xater said:
Penguin is way goofier than Killer Croc.

How so? I'm thinking someone similar to Falconi who keeps birds on the side and uses them somehow (like how Batman used the bats in Begins) versus a dude who looks like a crocodile. Also not too familiar with the comics but Penguin as a character seems to have a lot more potential.

Xater

longdi said:
I cannot watch through TDK repeatedly, whole movie is made up of 5 minutes cuts where every actors go free flow in witty quips.

LULZ

vicissitudes said:
How so? I'm thinking someone similar to Falconi who keeps birds on the side and uses them somehow (like how Batman used the bats in Begins) versus a dude who looks like a crocodile. Also not too familiar with the comics but Penguin as a character seems to have a lot more potential.

It's still a dude who looks like a fucking Penguin. I have not seen any iteration of the Penguin that I found compelling. Croc on the other hand has some great stuff.

Xater said:
LULZ

It's still a dude who looks like a fucking Penguin. I have not seen any iteration of the Penguin that I found compelling. Croc on the other hand has some great stuff.

Meh I think that's exaggerated and can be toned down. He's a short, kinda chubby guy who wears a suit. I guess you can make Killer Croc someone with a bad skin condition but it doesn't seem as interesting to me.

Mr. Sam

vicissitudes said:
Meh I think that's exaggerated and can be toned down. He's a short, kinda chubby guy who wears a suit. I guess you can make Killer Croc someone with a bad skin condition but it doesn't seem as interesting to me.
With the terrifying power of eczma!

I've always thought Penguin would be the next best villian. Just don't play his charicature up. He would fit in the Nolanverse as a smart crime boss imo.

Guzim

The best news to wake up to! Glad to know that the Riddler won't be in it, and no 3d! Also, the title suggestions provided me with much laughter that will last the entire day.

brandonh83 said:
Once was enough for me too. I hope TDKR is closer to Batman Begins.

Opposite for me (though I've seen BB multiple times).

I hope TDKR does it's own thing and strays from both TDK and Begins.

Scullibundo said:
I've always thought Penguin would be the next best villian. Just don't play his charicature up. He would fit in the Nolanverse as a smart crime boss imo.

We already have Falcone and Rupert Thorne. Catwoman would be a good choice as she introduced a love subplot that will reach out to the female audiences. Maybe have the mob as a larger more deadly threat and Catwoman getting caught between anti hero and thief.

Meus Renaissance said:
Dark Knight Rises sound like a college made film costing $400, trying to draw in the hipster crowd with the title.

In all seriousness, the imagery doesn't work there. Rise? He didn't "fall", and there isn't anything upcoming about the character to suggest a revitalisation. I don't the title should be similar to its predecessor. Anything with the 'Dark Knight' would have been terrible by default. "Rising" is just :lol
Did you watch the second film? Joker all but killed Batman's reputation with Gotham, "allowing" the Joker to kill and torture at his discretion.

And for all the hate for the title, I've yet to see GAF come up with something better (except Breaking Dawn).

As for a villian:

2r5amb5.jpg

;-)

Evlar

Banned
Scullibundo said:
I agree. Just look how they handled Two-Face. His villain name is used in precisely one line in the film. He spends most of the film as a completely normal-looking guy, and no one watching the film who wasn't familiar enough with the Batman series to know the name Harvey Dent could predict where the story was inevitably headed. Despite that, Nolan managed to work in most of the essentials of his character- the lucky coin, the legal background, and the disfigurement. He adjusted things to fit his story, as comic writers have done for ages: his disfigurement wound into the ongoing battle with Joker, his motivation changed from madness and theft to bloody revenge. He is both new and comfortably similar to the classic Two-Face.

They can certainly do the same with Penguin, if they wanted. It doesn't even require third-degree burns.

If they brought in the Penguin though...would he have to be really short? Like if they made him a normal looking dude wouldn't that kind of ruin the character anyways, since the name doesn't fit?

Anyways this movie needs some Joaquin or Depp. I would say Fassbender for Hush too, he looks a lot like Bale sometimes and he's a really good actor.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I guess that is why they edited out the part hinting at the Riddler between the theatrical release and retail that a friend of mine pointed out. He loaded up an old bootleg copy to show the scene, then the Blu Ray he bought to show that it was removed.

BowieZ

Banned
Discotheque said:
If they brought in the Penguin though...would he have to be really short? Like if they made him a normal looking dude wouldn't that kind of ruin the character anyways, since the name doesn't fit?

Anyways this movie needs some Joaquin or Depp. I would say Fassbender for Hush too, he looks a lot like Bale sometimes and he's a really good actor.
Why can't the "Penguin" be tall? It's not like Bruce Wayne is short because his namesake is a bat.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hush and Bane are terrible characters.

Hush - "What if we took Bruce Wayne, but made him bad???" Yawn.
Bane - "Okay, it's the 90s, so we need somebody extreme. Make him really smart, really strong and he does drugs and he was in prison. Oh, and he figures out Batman's identity in like 2 minutes. Money!"

Guzim

Drkirby said:
I guess that is why they edited out the part hinting at the Riddler between the theatrical release and retail that a friend of mine pointed out. He loaded up an old bootleg copy to show the scene, then the Blu Ray he bought to show that it was removed.
:lol :lol :lol What

Miguel

Discotheque said:

You know who would be awesome? That guy from Always Sunny. He's short and pudgy.

before half of you start rioting, I'm kidding.

Charlie would make a horrible Penguin.

WanderingWind said:
Hush and Bane are terrible characters.

Hush - "What if we took Bruce Wayne, but made him bad???"
A Batman villain... being some sort of dark mirror of Batman himself!!?!?!? Perish the thought. :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
BowieZ said:
Why can't the "Penguin" be tall? It's not like Bruce Wayne is short because his namesake is a bat.
Because the penguin is short, and bruce wayne is tall?

Evlar

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Because the penguin is short, and bruce wayne is tall?
And Joker poisons his victims with various formulations of his deadly laughing gas, a detail Nolan had no difficulty cutting in TDK...

Oozer3993

Drkirby said:

Care to elaborate? Are you talking about the accountant who notices some irregularities whose name is supposedly E. Nigma?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Hydrogen Bluebird said:
I think if it weren't for Superman Returns, they would have called it The Dark Knight Returns.

I think its more due to Batman Returns, if they ever even considered having "Returns" in the title at all.

Broken Arrow said:
I really wanted The Riddler to be the next villain :(

It's too early for them to be announcing anything specific. They could just be throwing some misdirection so we can be surprised when the riddler is announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom