• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Movie officially announced (Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about this though:

Didn't Roland forget most or all of what happened once he looped back? After finishing the books, I was under the impression that he may have gone through this loop many times in the past and just forgot what happened each time outside of a couple of objects he might have obtained. So even if he does have the Horn, would he really have the memories to know how to fix his mistakes?
This is what I thought too. Ka is a wheel

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
gfhghdhghghgfghfgf.jpg

I'm totally not evil.

I'm really excited for this. When you consider this as a film production it makes sense to combine elements from the first 2 books. You don't want to
revisit events that take place prior to book 1 and have the actor playing Jake age a few years.

Wait:

Walter has a master, too – the Crimson King, an insane, god-like entity who will be resurrected to rule the chaos of these collapsed worlds if The Man in Black can successfully shatter the Tower.

I wonder if this movie will start with
The Crimson King just being a pair of eyes at the tower

Kingbrave

Wait did Flagg ever have minions in the books? I honestly cannot remember it's been so long since I read it.

Not directly but he is the Crimson King's chief agent.

In Wizard and Glass he meets with the Eldred Jonas and is given some slight orders.
Also in Father Callahan's flashback there is some stuff going on.
Though you can argue that's not really Walter due to the low man's breathing hole on his head which the real Walter doesn't have.

Not directly but he is the Crimson King's chief agent.

In Wizard and Glass he meets with the Eldred Jonas and is given some slight orders.
Also in Father Callahan's flashback there is some stuff going on.
Though you can argue that's not really Walter due to the low man's breathing hole on his head which the real Walter doesn't have.

Sayre also mentions that Flagg is his boss at some point although they never appear together

obin_gam

Third article up now, the similarities and differences between the books and the movie: http://bit.ly/29KU4s1 (I bit.ly:ed the url because the title is a huge spoiler)

This is the gist of the article:
First, the movie is sticking to the triangulation of the first novel, The Gunslinger. [...] Those three points are Idris Elba’s Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger; Matthew McConaughey’s Walter, The Man in Black; and newcomer Tom Taylor’s Jake Chambers, a 15-year-old with psychic powers that could either save the Tower or help Walter destroy it.

Roland chases Walter, Walter chases Jake, and Jake chases Roland.

[...]
Arcel says [...] he felt it was important to establish the Gunslinger’s solitude before establishing his “Ka-tet,” or fate-forged family.

King didn’t just sign off, he made his own modifications. “I took a pen and cut Roland’s dialogue to the bone,” the author says. “The less he says the better off, and why not? Idris Elba can act with his face. He’s terrific at it. He projects that sense of combined menace and security. [Roland] is the Western hero, the strong, silent type: ‘Yep,’ ‘Nope,’ and ‘Draw.’”

This is exciting

dLMN8R

Not that surprising considering this is more or less an adaptation of the first book.

Yeah, I'm happy I'll be able to experience something pretty much brand new instead of just worrying over what's different the entire time I'm watching the movie.

Really looking forward to re-reading the books before this though!

teiresias

So judging by the end of the last book
it seems Roland doesn't remember anything about his previous time through the cycle, right?

Would it make sense to assume that none of the antagonists would either?
Then again, the Crimson King and Flagg seem so ostensibly "outside" the workings of the smaller "worlds" and are more "of the macroverse" that maybe Flagg does remember the previous cycles and could reference them in nods to the book to the movie by taunting Roland about prior choices and having Roland have no idea what he's talking about.
??

you guys think Oy will be in the first movie?

The article says he's not in it.

So judging by the end of the last book
it seems Roland doesn't remember anything about his previous time through the cycle, right?

Would it make sense to assume that none of the antagonists would either?
Then again, the Crimson King and Flagg seem so ostensibly "outside" the workings of the smaller "worlds" and are more "of the macroverse" that maybe Flagg does remember the previous cycles and could reference them in nods to the book to the movie by taunting Roland about prior choices and having Roland have no idea what he's talking about.
??

You can read into some of Flaggs lines in the books and interrupt them as him knowing there have been previous cycles.

The article specifically mentions that Flagg is trying to resurrect the CK in this movie though, which makes me wonder if he's still dead (or a pair of eyes) from the end of Book 7.

Furio53

Man I loved the books... all the subtle (and not subtle) nods to the other books and universe that King created... I just don't know how well it's going to work if it's a new path or after the original books... How will they explain so that people understand?

icespide

Banned
Man I loved the books... all the subtle (and not subtle) nods to the other books and universe that King created... I just don't know how well it's going to work if it's a new path or after the original books... How will they explain so that people understand?

that's the beauty of it. they can make a good movie for newcomers who won't have to care about the horn thing, with a huge payoff with the final movie (if we get one) but for book readers the movies are like a sequel

Furio53

that's the beauty of it. they can make a good movie for newcomers who won't have to care about the horn thing, with a huge payoff with the final movie (if we get one) but for book readers the movies are like a sequel

Yeah I understand. I guess I'll have to fight that urge to feel like I don't want a sequel. Or that others won't see the brilliance in the original story portrayed in film. I really really really hope the movie(s) do awesome and they get to properly tell the full story of what they want to and that the payoff for book fans and newcomers is amazing.

milkham

I hope this does well and there are enough movies that the characters end up in
Maine
and save you know who from you know what

GRW810

How long before a film's release date does the first trailer typically release? With DT just seven months away I'd expect it to start being attached to cinema releases and uploaded to YouTube this summer.

Kingbrave

Is that drawing on the upper left one of the doors from the Drawing of the Three from the beach?

And the desert!

It would of been hard not to have it considering the first line of the book.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
As an outsider who knows nothing the images look great but really confusing, does it time jump? The modern day images seem really out of place with some of the character designs, which is a bit jarring.

obin_gam

As an outsider who knows nothing the images look great but really confusing, does it time jump? The modern day images seem really out of place with some of the character designs, which is a bit jarring.
Do you want to know? It's not really a spoiler, just explaining the setting:
Different dimensions.

some of those stills look awesome and is getting me excited. Started reading these books when I was like 16 and they are what pushed me to get back into reading.

OMG THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING??? First time I'm even learning of this and I read all the books. Goddamn that casting and still shots. Instantly most hyped movie

EDIT: HE HAS THE HORN!? Amazing, just amazing

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Do you want to know? It's not really a spoiler, just explaining the setting:
Different dimensions.

Ah ok, so this isnt so much a spoiler and more just how the universe works?

obin_gam

Ah ok, so this isnt so much a spoiler and more just how the universe works?

Yeah, The Tower is (more world explanation)
what holds our universe up. Every reality is connected to it (which includes the other Stephen King books). Every level in the Tower is one reality. But the Tower is in danger, The Man in Black wants to demolish it, Roland has to find it, and save it.
Sorta. This is a super basic 101 explanation.

Mr Cola

Interesting, wonder how difficult that will be to get across to the viewers

Kingbrave

At the end of the first novel Roland has a vision (and in Wizard and Glass when he is in the ball) in which he is thrust to the end of the universe and breaks breaks though and is shown like a chicken breaking through it's shell. It's then shown like an atom in a blade of grass and then that blade of grass is in a field of roses which is Can'Ka No-Rey which surrounds the Tower.

So, I only read half (maybe a third) of the first book, because it fucking sucks but I got spoiled a while a go that there is
time travel
. So these images are not considered spoilers ? I mean, it almost feels like (GoT- Spoiler)
showing Ned Starks beheading

Kingbrave

So, I only read half (maybe a third) of the first book, because it fucking sucks but I got spoiled a while a go that there is
time travel
. So these images are not considered spoilers ? I mean, it almost feels like (GoT- Spoiler)

No, not even close.

I just read this on Reddit and I feel like this is a really good way to put some of the things I was trying to say earlier but I suck spoilers maybe?

Totally agree about the others, but this one does make sense and works, I think.
The whole point of the 'ka is a wheel' thing and the final page is that Roland is living a karmic cycle, where he'll live his journey over and over until he's actually worthy of climbing the tower. Every time, the mysterious doors he 'draws' from give him different things/people that make the next journey different. What we saw was his 19th attempt. On this attempt, the doors gave him Susannah, Eddie, and Jake, who all had their own fucked up issues, and then wounded him so he'd be forced to rely on them more. By the end of the journey, he has "learnt a lesson" to trust and engage more with the people around him, erasing one of his personal flaws and becoming slightly more worthy of climbing the tower.
Originally, Roland's childhood friend, owns the horn, and it is dying wish that Roland fetch the horn and not leave it in the battlefield. Roland fails to do this, and regrets it, thinks it's a betrayal of his friendship. In the first book, he reflects on why missing the horn makes him so upset -- the text is "He still had his father's guns, and surely they were more important than horns, or even friends. Weren't they?"
So the horn, to Roland, is a symbol of comradery/friendship/teamwork, and the fact that he left the horn behind is a symbol of his failure to his comrades and inability to keep his oaths to people. The fact that Roland has the horn on his 20th journey means that he didn't make that mistake, he fulfilled his dying friend's wish, because that flaw has been erased from him. It shows that the ka wheel he's trapped in isn't some eternal pointless hell, but that the progress he makes each time is actually kept -- he's making progress as a person and someday he'll be worthy of reaching the top of the tower, or enlightenment, or whatever ka/karmic type thing you take from that.
There is a premonition of this in book 1: the final line has Roland dreaming of the day in some distant future when he will approach the tower carrying the horn. (It also has Roland waiting for events he shouldn't possibly know about, like "the time of the drawing", hinting that he's done all this before.)

-griffy-

Banned
time travel

What? It's not on that level of "spoiler" at all. This would be like revealing that there's another continent called Essos that other characters are at in addition to the characters on Westeros.

FunkyMonk

The rest of EWs images:
odsfhfohfhfoe.jpg

rsrgshrsthtrhrth.jpg

564155505400sfsrfgyu.jpg

10465400000df800gyu_0.jpg

123041805400sfsrfgyu.jpg

bkfddfkkdkfdkfdny.jpg

The fourth image down could potentially be
the mansion on Dutch hiLloyd from the 3rd book

I squeed a little.

Still, it's best not to get my hopes up to much,while I adore the series Kings books don't often translate to film too well. I'll still go & see it mind!

The fourth image down could potentially be
the mansion on Dutch hiLloyd from the 3rd book

I squeed a little.

Still, it's best not to get my hopes up to much,while I adore the series Kings books don't often translate to film too well. I'll still go & see it mind!

Is there any doubt its anything but? The only thing that worries me is if they do use the house to bring jake to MidWorld, than that probably means

that he wont let jake die and fall in the mountains, thus no climax with flagg holding palaver. I mean you could work around it and just have him come back to midworld another way after his death. But if jake doesn't die.... than that changes huge aspects of the story (like roland losing his mind)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom