• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Movie officially announced (Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

obin_gam

Is this production schedule pretty normal in the world of movies? It seems crazy that they're still shooting right now and the movie is scheduled to come out in January....

Thinking back on the books, I guess there isn't a huge amount of CG that will be necessary, but still this seems like quite the rushed schedule.

Yeah, The first Hobbit movie was still being edited on the day of release.

F!ReW!Re

http://gothamist.com/2016/07/07/dark_tower_nyc_dumbo.php#photo-1

The Dixie Pig!

Also, I'm pretty sure that 5 pictures down on the second row is a Manhattan Restaurant of the Mind menu and Super Heroes the special.

His guns look pretty awesome with those engravings and runes on the barrels.
Also can see the horn sticking out of his sadle bag/satchel.

You know what I'm really wondering when I saw those pictures of the guns up close:
If he'll eventually lose his fingers from the monster crabs on the beach (probably next movie).
That always was such a major point for me, I thought it's super ballsy to cripple your main character like that and the first time I read that I was like "WTF is this like a dream sequence or something?"

Some of the very first photos from the set showing Elba in costume had me a little worried. Everything about his outfit just looked too pristine, clean, and organized. These new shots however have killed any worry that was left. He looks perfect, the guns are most exactly how I imagined them, and the shooting locations look like they could really lend themselves to some of the later portions of the story.

Flagg still looks a bit off to me, although I guess that last photo of him is getting closer. Assuming this is just his NYC outfit and not what he's going to show up with throughout the entirety, it should be perfectly fine.

TI82

Banned
I'm fine with idris as Roland, looks fine. Not sure I'm sold on Flagg quite yet. Someone like Walter goggins is what I had more in mind and not someone dressed so... cleanly?

I hope the movie gives the comic book series a bit of a boost. I would love for them to get through the whole series. It would be great to have another cycle out there.

Elbereth

I love Idris as an actor, but after reading the books, Roland is essentially Clint Eastwood.

The books make mention of his thin frame and blue eyes, and that has been Deschain for me.

But alas, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Matthew though...Perfect.

I love Idris as an actor, but after reading the books, Roland is essentially Clint Eastwood.

The books make mention of his thin frame and blue eyes, and that has been Deschain for me.

But alas, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Matthew though...Perfect.

Rolands supposed to like like Stephen King actually lol

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
Some of the very first photos from the set showing Elba in costume had me a little worried. Everything about his outfit just looked too pristine, clean, and organized. These new shots however have killed any worry that was left. He looks perfect, the guns are most exactly how I imagined them, and the shooting locations look like they could really lend themselves to some of the later portions of the story.

Flagg still looks a bit off to me, although I guess that last photo of him is getting closer. Assuming this is just his NYC outfit and not what he's going to show up with throughout the entirety, it should be perfectly fine.

Set photos always look laughably bad.

Set photos always look laughably bad.

They do, and it's always funny to me when people complain about the color grading of a film being unnatural. Most things are going to be manipulated one way or another by the time one is watching the finished product and it's designed that way.

TI82

Banned
Rolands supposed to like like Stephen King actually lol

what, no the first books had pictures of him lol

3.jpg

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
This being a new circle is somewhat of a downer to me. It cheapens the Journey to the dark tower. Not knowing that these circles exist is what gives the story tension. If the goal is just "a chance to redo it again" - meh.

cchum

I'm fine with idris as Roland, looks fine. Not sure I'm sold on Flagg quite yet. Someone like Walter goggins is what I had more in mind and not someone dressed so... cleanly?

Yeah throw some dirt on that outfit at least.

You know what I'm really wondering when I saw those pictures of the guns up close:
If he'll eventually lose his fingers from the monster crabs on the beach (probably next movie).
That always was such a major point for me, I thought it's super ballsy to cripple your main character like that and the first time I read that I was like "WTF is this like a dream sequence or something?"

No joke, but I thought the same thing as you. It happened when I was starting to connect with him. Good timing by King there.

obin_gam

This being
a new circle
is somewhat of a downer to me. It cheapens the Journey to the dark tower. Not knowing that
these circles exist
is what gives the story tension. If the goal is just
"a chance to redo it again
" - meh.

If you have read the last book this should be the best thing to do an adaption about, otherwise it's just either gonna piss you off
ending with a loop again,
or it will change the story for no reason at all.

If you haven't read the last book, you don't know
that this is another ciricle
. (Unless you've spoiled yourself which makes the problem lie at you, not the movie).

F!ReW!Re

This being
a new circle
is somewhat of a downer to me. It cheapens the Journey to the dark tower. Not knowing that
these circles exist
is what gives the story tension.
If the goal is just "a chance to redo it again" -
meh.

What? It means that we don't know what exactly is going to happen and
maybe this time he makes it choosing all the right options....

I think this is way better than rehashing the books.

120v

my main worry is this is going to be a hard pitch for people who've never read the books. i can see it being "cowboy looks for tower in lala land" to your average moviegoer and bombing.

pessimistic i know but i'm sure the first movie will have to do quite well if it's going to be a full series

cchum

How many movies will this be? I think the lowest they could go is 4 with cutting out a good bit of wastelands and combining wolves/Susanna.

cr0w

Old Member
I loved this quote.

"Thinking the Gunslinger is distracted by the strange sight, a fiend leaps from the corner and is promptly dispatched by a swing from the butt of Roland’s revolver. He doesn’t shoot. He’s not trigger-happy. His revolvers fire only when necessary.

“He’s just very efficient in that sense,” Elba says. “You know, if he can clear a room with five bullets as supposed to six, he will.”

obin_gam

Forgot to add, here is the first article from EW, interview with Elba and scene description: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/14/dark-tower-idris-elba-stephen-king-gunslinger

here's an excerpt that describes the story
&#8220;When we meet Roland he&#8217;s a bit lost,&#8221; says Elba, sitting in the sun during a break from one of the movie&#8217;s dungeon-like sets. &#8220;He&#8217;s been walking around for a long time, so he definitely feels like a man who&#8217;s&#8230; coiled.&#8221;

In the parlance of King&#8217;s books, Roland &#8220;has forgotten the face of his father.&#8221; &#8220;That&#8217;s a sense of, &#8216;You&#8217;ve forgotten your purpose,&#8217;&#8221; Elba says. At the start of the film, Roland is driven by rage, but deep down he is something else. &#8220;He&#8217;s a protector,&#8221; Elba says. He just needs something to reawaken that part of himself.

Off in the distance is his quarry: Matthew McConaughey&#8217;s Walter, a.k.a. The Man in Black, a charismatic warlock who decimated Mid-World, is responsible for destroying everyone Roland loved, and is looking for more worlds to end. Bringing down the Tower is one way to end them all at once. (EW will be getting to him in Part II of our Dark Tower coverage today.)

Walter is searching for someone, too &#8211; a teenager named Jake Chambers (15-year-old Tom Taylor, in his first film role), who lives in our world and possesses &#8220;The Shine,&#8221; a powerful psychic ability that King readers should recognize backwards or forwards. Jake&#8217;s extraordinary magic could help Walter break the ethereal beams that keep the Tower standing and maintain order in the multiverse.

For Roland, protecting this boy could restore his nobility, putting him back on the path to protecting the Tower itself. &#8220;Until he meets Jake, he doesn&#8217;t have anything to believe in, really,&#8221; Elba says. &#8220;He&#8217;s really pent up and releases his soul through [defending] the boy.&#8221;

ElFly

He prolly needed to because
uncrippled Roland is gdlk

But the guns look very normal sized. IIRC from the books, they were gargantuan.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm going to be gutted if the film isn't set primarily on Mid-World like the first book. I'm not so interested in seeing Roland running around having wacky adventures in New York with Jake so the studio can cut costs.

Spoilers for series:

So, this is actually a sequel to the books, right? He's looped back at the end of the final novel, but now he has the Horn, so he can go through again, but he can fix his mistakes. It'd make a much more palatable story for general audiences if Roland is more heroic in his first cinematic outing compared to the book version.

obin_gam

gfhghdhghghgfghfgf.jpg

Love the coat.

Spoilers for series:

So, this is actually a sequel to the books, right? He's looped back at the end of the final novel, but now he has the Horn, so he can go through again, but he can fix his mistakes. It'd make a much more palatable story for general audiences if Roland is more heroic in his first cinematic outing compared to the book version.

yup

dLMN8R

Spoilers for series:

Question about this though:

Didn't Roland forget most or all of what happened once he looped back? After finishing the books, I was under the impression that he may have gone through this loop many times in the past and just forgot what happened each time outside of a couple of objects he might have obtained. So even if he does have the Horn, would he really have the memories to know how to fix his mistakes?

Kingbrave

Question about this though:

Didn't Roland forget most or all of what happened once he looped back? After finishing the books, I was under the impression that he may have gone through this loop many times in the past and just forgot what happened each time outside of a couple of objects he might have obtained. So even if he does have the Horn, would he really have the memories to know how to fix his mistakes?

Yes, but having the Horn is a promise that this time the cycle is different and that things can be changed. It's one of the reasons that there are subtitles added to the front of the books and Redemption is part of Book 7's.

I'm starting to get nervous.

Elba's outfit has very little resemblance to his novel counterpart. Mid-World was seemingly stuck in this 1800s style era of Western wear. His outfit, especially the duster, looked very steampunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom