• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness II announced (Digital Extremes)

StuBurns

Banned
kadotsu said:
Fall 2011? Against Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Batman AC, XCOM, Mass Effect 3, COD: MW 3, Rage and Spec Ops. I bet this kinda vanilla FPS will sell gangbusters. Please push it to 2012. The fall is to crowded. Even if half of the games coming out would be delayed to 2012 .
The Last Guardian snubbed.

I agree, Sept/Nov this year is murderous placement for anything b-tier

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lack of Starbreeze definitely hurts my interest. I absolutely hated both Pariah and Dark Sector, so I'm not filled with confidence.

There was a lot to like in the original Darkness and I was really hoping they would be given the chance to fully deliver. The fact that it was a nice balance between combat and adventuring was pretty neat. Walking around New York and chatting with the locals reminded me of playing Deus Ex. Really wanted to see them evolve that formula.

I can't help but worry that what we will receive here will ultimately remove many of the things that made the original unique in favor of a pure linear shooter.

First one is one of the worst games I've ever played, so I don't doubt this'll be at least an improvement.
Really? What did you dislike about it?

Feindflug

SolidSnakex said:
He was probably asking because Dark Sector actually used an original engine even though it looked a lot like UE3.

Hopefully it will be based in their custom engine and not UE3 - Dark Sector was really impressive graphically back in 2008 though the first screenshot of The Darkness 2 looks disappointing. :(

Anyway I enjoyed the first game despite it's flaws and it will be interesting to see what DE will do with the sequel.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
While I'm happy to hear about this, I'm not that excited since Starbreeze is not involved. Just have to wait and see.

The first one is one of my favorite games this gen and the only game that I have played through more than twice this gen.

Dipswitch

Hmmmmmm - I'm cautiously optimistic. I liked the first game a lot and Starbreeze not developing the sequel gives me pause. On the other hand, I also liked what DE did with Dark Sector so hopefully they'll do a good job.

dark10x said:
Really? What did you dislike about it?

Pretty much everything that I can remember. The horrible animation (it felt like the demon tentacles were just a shitty border on the screen rather than actually being "alive") is the what I remember most about it.

I would have liked it to be StarBreeze but Digital Extremes are a competent dev. Dark Sector and Bioshock 2's multiplayer were good and they handled the glaive/plasmids well. So I'm sure they'll be able to handle the power of the Darkness. I think the hardest job for them will be emulating the StarBreeze "feel" to movement and combat (assuming they choose to).

JoeBoy101

I hope they go ahead and refine on the action and gameplay (especially when in the normal world) as that was the weakest points of the game, by far. Hope the narrative stays as strong as the first one though.

EYEL1NER

kadotsu said:
I bet this kinda vanilla FPS will sell gangbusters. Please push it to 2012.
Get that noise outta here.
I don't think this game will sell well whether it comes out on Gears of War 3 launch day or if it comes out middle of April next year with nothing else releasing that day.
But if it gets pushed back, that means a longer amount of time until I get to play it.

So I say Fall 11 is perfect.

I bought the first to support mike patton. I still haven't played it and got it for 5 bucks.

Will do the same with this one unless patton's not in it

Gravijah

Somewhat Damaged said:
I bought the first to support mike patton. I still haven't played it and got it for 5 bucks.

Will do the same with this one unless patton's not in it

Are you named after the awesome awesome NIN song?

dankir

OH FUCK YEAH?!@!?

I finally got around to beating the first one about 2 months ago.

Great game can't wait !!

pakkit

Banned
From the developer of Pariah and Bioshock 2's multiplayer comes the Darkness II!

I'm hopeful they can capitalize on the franchise, but man, if that does stifle my hopes a lottle.

I adore this game on so many levels (even imported the US PS3 version), even though it has his flaws.

The most impressive shit they did was the immersive soundtrack by Gustaf Grefberg. The fact that his work didn't warrant a CD-release is beyond me. Luckily I found a beautifully arranged game rip by a guy on a game-music forum and still listen to it regularly. Amazing stuff. Please release this music (Riddick stuff was great as well) mr. Grefberg and I will gladly buy it !

Mr. Grefberg is probably not doing the soundtrack for this one, but I hope his replacement took some notes and keeps the general musical themes in line with the first game, that's what defined the immersion for me, pumping you up during action- and soothing you during the subway station sequences.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I just recently played The Darkness through to completion and I have to say that it's one of the true underrated gems of this generation. The AI is a bit weak, and the controls take a while to get used to, but the story, voice acting and general "tone" of the game are absolutely flawless.

The fact that Starbreeze aren't making it makes me apprehensive about the project though. Dark Sector was decent, but Digital Extremes aren't exactly a developer you'd instantly trust with developing a follow-up to a game that you could tell had a lot of care and dedication put into it by it's developers.

Grisby

I'm a bit miffed its not Starbreeze, but I'll give DE the benefit of the doubt. Loved the Darkness, one of the most underrated gems this gen.

I find the lack of Starbreeze disturbing, but I think Digital Extremes can make a good shooter.

Anyone who liked the Darkness should also play Starbreeze's Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena. Which includes an up res'd version of the Xbox 1(and PC) classic Escape From Butcher Bay.

The Starbreeze shooters don't play like any other FPS's out there. I wonder if Digital Extremes will try and capture those qualities for Darkness 2, or if they're going to go in their own direction with a more traditional shooter. Either way, I will be watching with great interest.

GWX said:
PC version is awesome news. Bring it on!

Nice to know I won't have to play it at 10 fps this time around.

Chacranajxy said:
A mediocre game gets a sequel from an impossibly mediocre developer. A match made in Heaven.

I actually think it's a great match. Digital Extremes makes functional games which lack ambition, and The Darkness was an extremely ambitious game which failed to be functional.

TouchMyBox said:
Nice to know I won't have to play it at 10 fps this time around.

I actually think it's a great match. Digital Extremes makes functional games which lack ambition, and The Darkness was an extremely ambitious game which failed to be functional.
of course we could end up with a game that fails to be functional and lacks ambition. hopefully we won't though. there was a lot that was awesome in the darkness. a seamless, slightly larger world would improve the original a lot.

i'd filed the original under 'games that deserved a sequel but won't get one' so i'll take a sequel from Digital Extremes and hope they knock this one out of the park (as they are capable of, they just don't have the best batting average so to speak).

John

so much ambivalence to this announcement. the darkness is one of my favorite games ever, but it's wrapped up neatly and that story doesn't need anything more. i wasn't expecting starbreeze to be on it, but if paul jenkins wrote the first game and he's coming back then that's great; dark sector was pretty fun too. and it's great to have a pc version of this one at least (pssst de could you pull a Dark Athena and port the first game within the second game to pc ty)

but if anything this is an excuse to hear more mike patton. so yeah, i'm cool with this.

Red

What the hell is hardcore tenderness?

Cel shaded look isn't working for me. We'll see how it progresses.

ArjanN

Nice, day one. Smart of them to do a Pc version this time as well.

Digital Extremes are also doing the PC version of Homefront and I hear that's looking pretty good.

Crunched said:

A sign that someone over there has a sense of humor.

I always thought the atmosphere and small details of the darkness were really excellent but that the gameplay was pretty mediocre.

JoeBoy101

Crunched said:

11251-darkness_super.jpg

An inspired scene to play in the game, IMHO.

.la1n

I actually liked Dark Sector and the graphics even still hold up fairly well imo. If they can improve the gameplay while still maintaining the atmosphere that made the origina such a fun experience then sign me up.

JoeBoy101 said:
11251-darkness_super.jpg

An inspired scene to play in the game, IMHO.
What a great scene.

I am hoping for great things for this game, if they can capture the same kind of look and feel of the first one it should be excellent.

Foil

Enjoyed the first game so I was excited for a sequel, not so much anymore after seeing who the developer is and that ugly new visual style. The visuals, atmosphere, music, and voice work were great in the original. They seem to have screwed up the visuals already, hopefully the rest doesn't follow. The first game wasn't perfect but you could see a solid foundation to build off for a sequel. I'm not going to write this off just yet, but it'll take something special to get me to care about this now.

I love this main theme from the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDePkbgwYFU

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm worried about the Starbreeze thing, but PC is nice. I'm still hoping they port The Darkness 1 to PC so I can replay it and have it look somewhat decent.

Feindflug

Stallion Free said:
I'm worried about the Starbreeze thing, but PC is nice. I'm still hoping they port The Darkness 1 to PC so I can replay it and have it look somewhat decent.

Have you played the PS3 version of the first game? Because the 360 version looks great, especially the IQ for a console game is top-notch.

Top Bottom