• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Darkness II |OT| Mike Patton will eat your heart OUT!

dreamfall

KcfjH.png

TITLE | THE DARKNESS II
PLATFORMS | PS3 | 360 | PC
GENRE | FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER
DEVELOPER | Digital Extremes
PUBLISHER | 2K Games

RELEASE DATES | EUROPE 10/02/2012 | USA 02/07/2012 |

RATINGS | PEGI: 18+ | ESRB: M (Mature) |

UPDATES Working hard to get this out before the game shows up + Reviews incoming!

EDITIONS

Limited Edition:
- Custom Artwork by Marc Silvestri
- Digital Download of The Darkness Origins 1&2 comics
- Alternate Darkling outfit "Crazy Abdul"
- Gourmet Hearts character ability
- Relic Hunter ability

Regular Edition (Box Art):
pxxiw.jpg

STORY
The Darkness II is the sequel to the critically acclaimed 2007 release The Darkness. Inspired by the popular comic book series produced by Top Cow Productions, Inc., The Darkness II is an intense first person shooter that puts you in the role of Jackie Estacado, don of a New York crime family and wielder of an ancient force of chaos known as The Darkness.

It's been two years since Jackie used his power to kill the men responsible for his girlfriend's murder. He's been unable to shake the memory of Jenny's death since bottling up The Darkness and now it wants out. A botched attempt on Jackie's life opens the door for The Darkness to reemerge, and sets Jackie on a brutal and personal journey as he unravels the mystery behind the attack and the motives of The Darkness.

The Darkness (First Game) http://www.2kgames.com/thedarkness/

FEATURES
QUAD-WIELDING CHAOS
Slash, grab, and throw objects and enemies with the Demon Arms while simultaneously firing two weapons, adding a new dimension to the FPS category.

HARNESS AN UNSTOPPABLE POWER
Master the Demon Arms and summon the powers of The Darkness for even more explosive gameplay.

KILL THE LIGHTS
The vicious powers of The Darkness manifest only in the shadows so use the environment to your advantage and watch out for enemies who will use light as a weapon.

INTENSE AND PERSONAL JOURNEY
Experience a dark, twisted and gripping story written exclusively for the game by acclaimed comic book author Paul Jenkins whose credits also include The Incredible Hulk, Wolverine, and the original The Darkness game.

DISTINCTIVE GRAPHIC-NOIR STYLE
Graphic novel shading and color combined with the dramatic lighting of film noir pays tribute to the source material and brings the pages of the comic series to life. Inspired by the popular comic book series created by Top Cow.

- New Game Plus!

CHARACTERS

Jackie Estacado (Voiced by Brian Bloom)

Jackie Estacado, the current wielder of The Darkness has used his powers to become the Don of the Franchetti crime family. He has been unable to shake the thoughts of his dead girlfriend Jenny Romano and has since, with the help of estranged occultist Johnny Powell and his study into dark essence, contained his supernatural powers, and now The Darkness "wants out in the worst way".

Johnny Powell

As a graduate student, Johnny Powell became an unparalleled expert on the world of mystical power and magic. He kept himself busy studying ancient relics that were shrouded in dark (and even fantastical) histories, and which were purportedly connected to some of the most infamous figures from antiquity. However, he ended up discovering that the mythology surrounding these artifacts was all true, and that they all pointed to the Darkness.

Victor Valente

Victor Valente is the head of a mysterious organization known as The Brotherhood, an ancient order formed hundreds of years ago for the sole purpose of destroying, and eventually controlling The Darkness once and for all.

Brotherhood

The Brotherhood is a shadowy cabal that has existed for centuries with thorough knowledge of The Darkness. For unknown reasons, they have emerged from hiding intent on seizing the power wielded by Jackie—only the latest in a long line of Darkness hosts—for their own sinister purpose, and they will use their familiarity with The Darkness to exploit its weaknesses.

Jenny Romano

Jenny was the long time girlfriend of Jackie. She will be BACK!

MULTIPLAYER
Vendettas = a co-op multiplayer mode for The Darkness II that can be played with up to four people. The story of Vendettas runs parallel to the events of the single-player campaign, and features a cast of characters with unique abilities and histories tied to the Darkness. Can be played single player, 18 missions total.

Inugami - Inugami is a shadowy, mentally unstable assassin who wields a legendary cursed sword called Kusanagi. As a child, Inugami was forced to witness the slaughter of his entire family by members of The Brotherhood who wanted to seize this weapon, and he is now driven entirely by a thirst for revenge due to these events.

Kusanagi's curse slowly drains away the life essence of the sword's bearer if it goes too long without claiming a victim. Centuries ago, the sword was used in dark rituals that resulted in the sacrifice of ten thousand innocents, and legend says that its curse will be lifted if it claims an equal number of wicked souls.
Inugami possesses the power of Swarm. His Swarm power resembles an attack of miniature Yokai demons of all kinds.
PbwH5.png

Soshanna - Shoshanna is a highly trained agent working for the Mossad who kills efficiently and does not question the orders she is given. Her weapon of choice is the Arm of the Night, a firearm fused with Dark Essence that has been in her family for over 75 years.

She possesses the power of Gun Channeling. Interestingly, the Darkness has become entranced with technology — it knows that the newest weapons are capable of more efficient death and destruction.
VEQjQ.png

Jimmy Wilson - Jimmy Wilson hails from Glasgow's inner city in Scotland, and revels in football, alcohol, and pissing off the English. This latter interest motivates Jimmy to pursue and fight The Brotherhood, who he believes are simply the English in another form due to their ancient ties to the dreaded King Edward 'Longshanks'.

Jimmy has the power to summon multiple Darklings. Jimmy thinks of them as alcohol-induced fairies of some kind, and he calls them "Little Jimmys."
JvnQr.png

JP Dumond - Once a respectable doctor, JP DuMond provided medical care to the needy in the poorest areas of New Orleans. However, limited resources and supplies compelled him turn to a form of Louisiana Voodoo to treat his patients. He found a way to draw out and trap the bad essence of an illness within dolls. However, this magic proved dangerous and started to adversely affect him, forcing him to keep the dolls in a special protective box which he named his Box of Tricks.

DuMond wields the power of Black Hole. This occurs when he tosses the Box of Tricks into an open area. The box will open, and dark magic spews forth, creating a vortex that attacks nearby enemies. It is a very nasty and bloody sight to behold. He also wields the Midnight Stick, which can be used to launch enemies into the air, where they can be easily picked off with firearms or other attacks.
6PSyV.png

VIDEOS
Single Player Trailers
The Darkness II Release Date

The Darkness II E3 Trailer

What is the Darkness? (Spoilers for the First game!)

The Brotherhood

Launch Trailer

Multi- Player Trailers
Vendettas Co-op Trailer

Vendettas Gameplay- Inugami

Vendettas Gameplay- Shoshanna

Vendettas Gameplay- Jimmy

Vendettas Gameplay- Dumond

Gameplay Power Trailers
Powers of The Darkness: Quad Wielding
Powers of The Darkness: Swarm
Powers of The Darkness: Gun Channeling
Powers of The Darkness: Black Hole
Powers of The Darkness: Darklings
Executions: Torn Apart
Executions: Sliced
Executions: Brutalized

SCREENSHOTS

REVIEWS
updated as they arrive!

OXM Review - 9.0!
"+ Gameplay expertly mixes gunplay, melee carnage, and avoiding light sources.
+ Diverse range of upgrades; absorbing story with minimal distractions; addictive co-op.
– Short main campaign; minor revival woes in co-op campaign; not enough Mike Patton voiceovers.
? Why does your pet Darkling wear a cat’s hide like a hat?"
"The only real disappointment is the campaign’s fleeting six-hour duration, along with how seldom Mike Patton’s marvelously deranged growls give voice to the Darkness."

IGN - 8.0
Eurogamer - 7.0
Gametrailers - 7.4
Sixth Axis - 9.0
Gamespot - 7.0
1UP - B
G4TV - 4/5
NowGamer - 7.6
IncGamers - 7.0
CVG - 8.1
OPM UK Video Review - 9.0
OXM UK - 9.0
Gamesradar - 8.0
Destructoid - 7.5

EXTRAS

Achievement LIST!

Talent Tree Demo Video
Better screens to be uploaded !

In Depth Developer Podcasts

Tara Long Unboxes game with Darkling Statue
5io9o.png

CONCEPT ART
Carnival 1

Carnival 2

Darkling Ideas

More Darkling art here.

XS6SY.jpg
Jnp5y.jpg
Wxd08.jpg

FINAL NOTE

This is MIKE PATTON.
6goKP.png

He does the voice for The Darkness in the game, really does a fantastic job. He's been a number of bands including Faith No More/Mr. Bungle, but has done voice work for Portal, Left 4 Dead and Bionic Commando. Here is a video showcasing his brilliance from the first game (SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST GAME):
http://youtu.be/-LZOsPBN2X0

Darklord

Banned
The only real disappointment is the campaign’s fleeting six-hour duration, along with how seldom Mike Patton’s marvelously deranged growls give voice to the Darkness."

Fucking lame.

The demo felt like it was what the Darkness would be like post COD4, and a lot of the time I've found myself tired of that sort of formula. Thankfully it was actually a lot of fun anyway, and the Darkness powers helped keep it feeling different so I'm taking a gamble on it day one.

I also think the game is a bit of a looker. Looking forward to its release.

highrider

Banned
nice. the demo was cool but with the vita and me3 i may wait a bit for a price drop. hoped for a meatier campaign. 6 hours is a bummer.

jgminto

Loved the demo. The gameplay was fantastic and it didn't feel like other shooters of late where you move from cover to cover waiting for your health to regen. I'd say this would be my Shooter of 2012 if Max Payne 3 wasn't being released.

dreamfall

Loved the demo. The gameplay was fantastic and it didn't feel like other shooters of late where you move from cover to cover waiting for your health to regen. I'd say this would be my Shooter of 2012 if Max Payne 3 wasn't being released.

My thoughts exactly! The length seems off-putting, but with some fun co-op Vendetta gameplay, I'm more than excited. Max Payne shall be glorious!

Alastor

Loved the first one on PS3, can't wait to play the sequel on PC! I hope there's at least one cool, dark
supernatural location
again.

dreamfall

I think it should also be stated that Vendettas can be played single player as well- and there are 18 different missions between the four characters.

"MATHIEU: Uh, yeah. Basically, Vendettas has two modes. There's the campaign mode where you go from mission to mission until you reach the end of the campaign, and you have the Hit List mode where all the missions from the campaign are there for you to play in any order, as well as, how many more? Twelve? Ten more?

DAVE: Yeah.

MATHIEU: There's like 18 missions total." (Podcast 9!)

I'm still not convinced that The Darkness needed a sequel, especially considering the ending and all, but after playing the demo, I really don't mind. Hell of a demo, and I cannot wait for the game to drop. Got two friends to jump in with me after telling them to try the demo and informing them that the game has 4-player co-op, so I have an extra copy left from the 4-pack. If anyone's interested then shoot me a PM, comes out to $37.

But anyways, why no preload?! Argh!

-Stranger-

Hmm i really liked the first game, i played the demo of The Darkness 2 and it seems good.
For some reason i don't feel that eager to play it though. I suppose it might be because Mass Effect 3 is just around the corner.

Jaroof

Yay!
Finally! ^_^
I'm so glad they kept the boxart the same.
Definitely one of my favorite boxarts.. it's so sexy. :p

Judging from what I've played already, this game is going to be great. Story-wise, I don't think it'll be as good as the first, but it seems like it'll be good enough.
My only complaints from the demo were that Jackie's voice was so different, and they didn't seem to use Mike Patton's voice like they did in the first. It was much more bass-y, and sounded much more sinister.
Still, I'm really excited for this.

Kritz

Banned
Not sure how I feel about this game. Darkness 1 remains one of my favourite games this generation, and I'm preeetty sure I'm going to end up disappointed with Darkness 2.

The art style kinda looks like a rubbish imitation of Borderlands, which is annoying because the first darkness looked so good for a console game with its artstyle. I have no love left in me for gritty celshading-like styles.

Secondly, I will hate this game if I need to go through the darkness power progression again to unlock the same powers. I will also be annoyed if they remove powers from the previous game for the sake of having you go through a different power progression tree.

I've already bought and paid for the fucking game, so hopefully I'll actually like the game despite whatever flaws there are. Too bad it doesn't release until Friday for Australians.

Xater

I really enjoyed the demo and I want to play it, but I will probably wait for it to hit the bargain bin. Too many RPGs I want to play right now.

I never bothered finishing the first Darkness game and was going to skip this one altogether, but I decided to try the demo on Steam and I'm glad I did. The darkness mechanics are great and the combat is really satisfying. So much gorier than I expected. Also, I love the new comic book aesthetic and think it works great for the theme of the game.

The demo really sold me on it. It may not be at launch, but I'm definitely going to pick this up at some point.

Cudder

Had this pre ordered ever since the Futureshop online E3 sale. The demo was awesome and fun, can't wait for this.

Will wait for final impressions/reviews before I consider it, the demo didn't do much for me. Big fan of the first game though.

ezekial45

Banned
Good job on the OP.

I'm really excited for this game because of the awesome demo. I really love how they expanded on the combat. It feels like a first person Devil May Cry.

Grisby

First OT right? Good job bru, :) I'm gonna try and fit this in somewhere between everything else going on this week.

Huge fan of the first.

Marvie_3

Banned
Really liked the first game. Probably won't pick up Darkness II right away but it looks like it'll be pretty fun.

Smokey

Hope the full game doesn't suffer same issues as demo on PC like you know...not even being able to play the damn thing.

Himself

I loved the look of the demo and it played great, but it was missing what made the first game so great: atmosphere. Plus, it didn't seem like the light/dark mechanic had much if any relevance during the gameplay. How badass was it to gradually work your way through a building shooting out all the lights and having the mobsters shitting their pants while doing so? This seems much more action-oriented or that may have just been the segments they chose for the demo.

Will wait for feedback from folks who loved the first game.

Oh yeah, just remembered the "wishbone" kill from the demo. Fucking brutal!

Top Bottom