• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division - 15 minutes of new gameplay

M.W.

Can someone tell me if the whole campaign is snowy and Christmas lights, I loved the way that looked in the one video I watched

It takes place around Christmas (event happens on Black Friday). Winter is the setting throughout.

ViciousDS

Banned
If you were to compare to destiny maps how big is that alpha section in comparison? Bigger/smaller than say cosmodrome?

With or without dark zone here?

It's hard to tell here, but atm....destiny with all its planets definitely are bigger walking wise. Destiny feels smaller because of how fast you can get from point A to Point B. However Destiny is just open area....for the sake of open area. Chests don't mean much and loot is mostly farmed off enemies. The Division has substance, while walking shit pops up, minor sidequests, loot in your proximity gets highlighted on the map and you start wandering a few buildings are explorable but not as much as you probably hope for. There are underground, sewers and tunnels as well. I fear though that with how small the map is....that the story will/can be done probably within the same amount of time that destiny probably was done at launch.

Well the beginning of the game starts somewhere else. You fly in from a heli after something happenend. Maybe Brooklyn is like that first GTA 5 mission?

Yes....It's going to be something small though, they gave us level 4 in the alpha starting in a level 2 area. It's going to be a really short, I highly doubt its even as big as GTA V's opening area.

etta

my hard graphic balls
that map that you see white outline....is the base game. Brooklyn and other stuff.....is most likely DLC. We probably have another Destiny on our hands where we get videos of other places that don't even come until the damn DLC drops. Think about it 20% of the PvE map was available for alpha.....this is not going to be as big as we thought outside of wandering and exploring. The only thing keeping people active is the fact that opening loot caches and boxes give loot. It's more loot centric than destiny is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/417y97/tom_clancys_the_division_will_not_include/

reddit responses sum up my feelings as well.....wtf XD

Jesus fucking Christ. What about that bridge that was in the E3 gameplay, near the police station??
Fucking hell.
So you need the $30 season pass to get the complete game.

ViciousDS

Banned
Could be, but I honestly believe it will be DLC. It looks like they had a good chunk of it done during that first E3 gameplay showing. No way they would throw that much work out the window.

Biggest sadness is not being able to take a dump and fly around like Chris on my tablet pew pewin people. :p

Here is where you start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3T9W2usuzc&feature=youtu.be

Does anyone from New York know if that is in/near Brooklyn?

lol

not even close black circle = starting area

red part is where brooklyn would be.....and its actually probably way lower and off the map

There is a bridge that goes to the Brooklyn area from New York.....but its not even on the map....so its definitely off even more.

brooklynbmjxr.png

ViciousDS

Banned
Microsoft has the marketing deal, so PS4/PC footage is being kept under wraps.

The differences between the PS4/XBO versions are likely minimal.

at most....a resolution bump and maybe a little more stable fps....but I think they are going to try hard to aim for parity on this one.

But that damn marketing deal blows.

AH fuck.....forgot xbox one gets content first as well. Was going to main PS4 but if its like a Destiny deal its going to suck playing on the other console.

Smash88

Banned
lol

not even close black circle = starting area

red part is where brooklyn would be.....and its actually probably way lower and off the map

There is a bridge that goes to the Brooklyn area from New York.....but its not even on the map....so its definitely off even more.

brooklynbmjxr.png

Damn, so that more than likely confirms that Brooklyn might/will be DLC.

So I guess the concept of releasing a full game with expansions later is definitely dead. This industry is weak sauce. Creating the city 1:1 is no joke, but if it's going to limit your game don't do it.

Then again if this is nearly a 1:1 replica of New York then Manhattan itself should be huge. Each borough in New York city is humongous and each could be it's own game to be fair. I live in New York City and so does 10 million people ;)

theWB27

So I guess the concept of releasing a full game with expansions later is definitely dead. This industry is weak sauce. Creating the city 1:1 is no joke, but if it's going to limit your game don't do it.

This doesn't make any sense. They're going for size AND density. So if you're getting a huge city with very good density....how is that not a full game? I mean....gta usually has a large map, but density is nonexistent. 1-1 replica is weak sauce? Damn....

For a casual MP shooter gamer as myself, would this be a fun game to get? or will I be overwhelmed by hardcore MP gamers?

got 67 dollars credit on my xbox account (xbox rewards) and debating what to use it on.

This doesn't make any sense. They're going for size AND density. So if you're getting a huge city with very good density....how is that not a full game? I mean....gta usually has a large map, but density is nonexistent. 1-1 replica is weak sauce? Damn....

It's the double edged sword. Devs who announce or show concepts of what they want to include get shredded if the final game doesn't include all those things... but when a Dev doesn't give a ton of details about the game leading up to its release, they get doubted because of secrecy. It's rough.

For a casual MP shooter gamer as myself, would this be a fun game to get? or will I be overwhelmed by hardcore MP gamers?

got 67 dollars credit on my xbox account (xbox rewards) and debating what to use it on.

It's too soon to tell really but the RPG system should make it easier for a more casual player to have fun than it would be if it were a normal 1-3 or 4 shot kill kind of shooter.

Just wait until the game releases and see the feedback it gets. No one can tell you how the final game will be so be patient.

Archpath1

Well player vs player is in the dark zones so you won't have any confrontations

You've played any other kinds of mmo esque games? it'll be the same

Generally People will help each other to clear content

You can opt in to be thrown into a squad real easy

Try the beta out man

Just wait until the game releases and see the feedback it gets. No one can tell you how the final game will be so be patient.

Well player vs player is in the dark zones so you won't have any confrontations

You've played any other kinds of mmo esque games? it'll be the same

Generally People will help each other to clear content

You can opt in to be thrown into a squad real easy

Try the beta out man

Thanks for reply guys. Watched a couple of videos on there website and i'm really tempted. Different type of RPG that doesn't involve swords, etc...which is refreshing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was hyped for this back when the reveal had decaying streets, car alarms, the physics were fluid, glass popped and scattered, and so forth. I am not quite sure what has happened because I watched the reveal trailer and that was it for a while. I want to play this because it has been a while since we had a good Tom Clancy game. It's been a while since I've wanted to buy a new IP from Ubisoft, so I'm hoping it's good. I'll be getting it for PS4 and hopefully it'll be fun. It sounds like no one knows what to expect.

The developers in the Angry Joe video seemed like they were probably under PR guidelines and policies. I wonder if they go home and think it was something terrible. I could be wrong.

no1dead

Banned
Wait they did? I thought that was pretty cool actually being a drone on your phone for your buddies while away from the console

I can only assume they did, and I'm pretty sure someone reported on that being cut as it wasn't really useful? But I don't know there is nothing on the Ubisoft press site talking about it so I can assume its cut.

It does not seem to run that bad at all considering we are talking about an entry level GPU released in 2012.
Bodes well for scalability and those with low end hardware.

This gives me hope. I hate it when companies don't optimize their games.

Was to overpowered they said and the couldnt really balance it properly so they removed it,

Yup. It's pretty evident in the gameplay that they showed when it was announced that it was OP. Spotting and even attacking from the sky like that was way too strong.

no1dead

Banned
Was to overpowered they said and the couldnt really balance it properly so they removed it,

That one screenshot alone looks pretty OP. Damage Buffs, health buffs, a radar, and it can shoot missiles. Yeah they did a good thing removing that.

hwhe9xB.png

This also adds to Brooklyn being DLC as it seems like they already built 10 zones all with buildings being sorta fleshed out.

My impressions from 20+ hours in the alpha:

Visually the biggest downgrades are in the diegetic UI which was such a huge part of the E3 2013 trailer, and which looking back were obviously all faked. There's no instances where you open a gun case and examine the gun loot inside with cool infographic overlays and stuff, for instance, and the holographic map is quite a bit less less dramatic. Streets don't all have their own diegetic floating name, you don't scan every dead person's face you come across and find out their life story, etc.

No sign of any of the procedural car destruction they showed off in the E3 2013 trailer. Bullet strikes on windows produce simple bullet-hole decals. Maybe in the PC build? I didn't see any instances of bullet penetration which they highlighted in 2013 as well (the guy getting scanned and then shot through cover, the bullet holes in the billboard actually letting sun-rays through). They do have the car door closing though, I know that would be a deal-breaker for some.

Controls are pretty clunky, noticable input lag on many movements and actions. Cover system is implemented and the game constantly hits you over the head with object highlight prompts to stick to cover but by the end of the alpha I abandoned the system completely; it just gets in your way.

Game has an unfortunate one-two combination of very spongy enemies with poor hit feedback. Games like Destiny that have excellent feedback on enemy hits can get away with spongy enemies (to a certain extent, at least). In it's current state the Division can't. It feels pretty ridiculous seeing some random thug absorb 50 bullets from a belt-fed LMG, and if said thug is doing something like a reload animation, your attacks don't interrupt him, he just stands there taking the bullets until he finishes the animation. Awful.

No passive matchmaking (IE: Destiny-style) in areas outside of the Dark Zone or the Hub home base, at least in the Alpha, which is disappointing. You can do a face-to-face team join with strangers in the Hub or Dark Zone with no loading screens though, which is cool. They've also implemented prox chat in the Dark Zone, which is cool.

Encounter pocket density in the "overworld" (non-mission-areas) is really, really low. In both the Dark Zone and the PVE-only areas you can walk for many minutes without seeing a hostile NPC. The Dark Zone suffers the most from this since there's no missions and seemingly no public event style occurances. In fact a lot of my Dark Zone time seemed to consist of groups and individuals wildly searching across the map for the elusive groups of enemies.

DMTripper

Amazon.

I did it on amazon.co.uk and they send me my code within minutes. You can also cancel your pre order with them easily as they wont charge your card until the game ships.

That's cool!

Does anyone know how long the beta lasts? I don't wanna download a ton of gigs to only be able to play for a couple of hours :-/

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My impressions from 20+ hours in the alpha:

Visually the biggest downgrades are in the diegetic UI which was such a huge part of the E3 2013 trailer, and which looking back were obviously all faked. There's no instances where you open a gun case and examine the gun loot inside with cool infographic overlays and stuff, for instance, and the holographic map is quite a bit less less dramatic. Streets don't all have their own diegetic floating name, you don't scan every dead person's face you come across and find out their life story, etc.

No sign of any of the procedural car destruction they showed off in the E3 2013 trailer. Bullet strikes on windows produce simple bullet-hole decals. Maybe in the PC build? I didn't see any instances of bullet penetration which they highlighted in 2013 as well (the guy getting scanned and then shot through cover, the bullet holes in the billboard actually letting sun-rays through). They do have the car door closing though, I know that would be a deal-breaker for some.

Controls are pretty clunky, noticable input lag on many movements and actions. Cover system is implemented and the game constantly hits you over the head with object highlight prompts to stick to cover but by the end of the alpha I abandoned the system completely; it just gets in your way.

Game has an unfortunate one-two combination of very spongy enemies with poor hit feedback. Games like Destiny that have excellent feedback on enemy hits can get away with spongy enemies (to a certain extent, at least). In it's current state the Division can't. It feels pretty ridiculous seeing some random thug absorb 50 bullets from a belt-fed LMG, and if said thug is doing something like a reload animation, your attacks don't interrupt him, he just stands there taking the bullets until he finishes the animation. Awful.

No passive matchmaking (IE: Destiny-style) in areas outside of the Dark Zone or the Hub home base, at least in the Alpha, which is disappointing. You can do a face-to-face team join with strangers in the Hub or Dark Zone with no loading screens though, which is cool. They've also implemented prox chat in the Dark Zone, which is cool.

Encounter pocket density in the "overworld" (non-mission-areas) is really, really low. In both the Dark Zone and the PVE-only areas you can walk for many minutes without seeing a hostile NPC. The Dark Zone suffers the most from this since there's no missions and seemingly no public event style occurances. In fact a lot of my Dark Zone time seemed to consist of groups and individuals wildly searching across the map for the elusive groups of enemies.

How late is too late to make changes to a game? Has the printing already been sent off to its rightful distributors? How soon could they actually make changes? To me, this Beta sounds more like a Demo in the sense that all they really need to collect is online stability or possibly know how to patch something. I sense a little remorse from this response about the Alpha.

The lack of detail to the city is what's concerning. I wouldn't mind it if the physics remained and they kept the shine of reflections in there. There seems to be some kinda smeared look to their final build and it looks like some textures were stretched for far too long. I've seen flatter textures of 3D objects before, but now a days it feels like they'll just map an object and that's it. I don't want to walk up to a cafe and see flat pictures of food, but who knows.

jesu

That's not true actually.
You go up to a mission starting point and press a button for matchmaking.

That's not true either, at the corner of every block there seemed to be a horde like side mission to do.
Outside of the Dark Zone that is.

This game makes me think of a much higher quality version of Defiance. Which is a shame because I much prefer the setting and story of Defiance to the po-faced Tom Clancyisms on display here.

no1dead

Banned
How late is too late to make changes to a game? Has the printing already been sent off to its rightful distributors? How soon could they actually make changes? To me, this Beta sounds more like a Demo in the sense that all they really need to collect is online stability or possibly know how to patch something. I sense a little remorse from this response about the Alpha.

The lack of detail to the city is what's concerning. I wouldn't mind it if the physics remained and they kept the shine of reflections in there. There seems to be some kinda smeared look to their final build and it looks like some textures were stretched for far too long. I've seen flatter textures of 3D objects before, but now a days it feels like they'll just map an object and that's it. I don't want to walk up to a cafe and see flat pictures of food, but who knows.

I can confirm that they are still doing QA Tests on the game so shit can change.

Grief.exe

From the Angry Joe Video, the developer said that you get do get a separate XP bar in the Dark Zone, so you actually can do Dark Zone Twinks.

Top Bottom