• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division - 15 minutes of new gameplay

cackhyena

Christ on a bike those enemy guys look like total bullet sponges. Duder was getting centre mass and headshots in and having to waste clip after clip. Seriously I don't get why you try and make a gritty looking game and then undo it all through poor mechanics.

Take a leaf from Spec Ops the line and Arma, and limit the amount of ammo/equipment you can physically carry, and therefore make shots count.

Talking of which. Why hit numbers? Who actually wants that in their game?

Harrisionfordwhogivesashit.gif

If you want to indicate a hit a sure fire method is seeing fools drop like they've been hit with a sledgehammer.
This entire post reads like a joke. I hope this is a joke.

Archpath1

Hopefully we will know more about what endgame entails and I hope it's not all dark zone. I'll play anyway but I probably won't stay more than 2 or 3 weeks. Not a fan of PvP in most game, hopefully this one is different.

Let's not kid ourselves, you will always fight to extract your loot. Hopefully there's dungeons or raid or whatever aswell for people who like the PvE and don't necessarily always wanna engage in PvP

Dungeons are pretty much called missions
There's normal and hard modes
Alpha had one

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The PC version won't look like that either. Just like the pc version of watchdogs does not look like the initial reveal.
Already been established why WD had to be downgraded, crossgen. People also said that ACU wouldn't look like the demos they showed on pc ultra. And that game looks a hell of a lot better than WD. The fact that you can push reflections, vol fog, SSS, and other very intensive GPU effects on pc should make it incredibly comparable if not indistinguishable from the other pc demos unless one is looking for the exact same WIP area as the initial reveal to cite a "downgrade." Just today, we saw better interiors than the other demos.

I understand it having multiple delays, but they decided to announce it when they did at the stage of development that it was in. Unfortunately small marketing windows like Fallout 4 will be the outlier. I understand the norm, but many (myself included) have gotten particular because of it.
They decided to announce it when they thought they'd be able to get it done a year after the debut.

Ryuuga

Banned
They decided to announce it when they thought they'd be able to get it done a year after the debut.

From a vertical slice? Maybe they were further along in development at that point, but that's exactly why I wish the window was smaller. Delays will happen, but I don't for a second believe they were as far into development as Fallout 4 was when they first debuted the game. I also acknowledge that Fallout is a bigger name that would need less time to build hype than a new IP.

ViciousDS

Banned
Hopefully we will know more about what endgame entails and I hope it's not all dark zone. I'll play anyway but I probably won't stay more than 2 or 3 weeks. Not a fan of PvP in most game, hopefully this one is different.

Let's not kid ourselves, you will always fight to extract your loot. Hopefully there's dungeons or raid or whatever aswell for people who like the PvE and don't necessarily always wanna engage in PvP

That's pretty much me.....I'll play for the campaign and wandering the PvE sections. But Will probably ignore the dark zone. So atm it's buy on sale.

Hoping for raids to get announced at some point.

Kadayi

Banned
It's an RPG. It's not trying to be spec ops or Armo. Hit points are a common staple in RPGs. It's not even that gritty looking, we have a high tech UI and deployable mini robot flamethrowers and healing items.

The Witcher 3 is an RPG, this ...

Also I'm not entirely sure how having future tech somehow invalidates the ability to do gritty

This entire post reads like a joke. I hope this is a joke.

And that's your counterpoint?

I'll break it down for you. I watched the video (all of it, even with the weird fapping noises)., and those are my takeaways. Enemies look too bullet spongy and the hits detract from the overall look of the game. I'm not saying it's terrible (I dig the environments and the premise) I'm just less enthused by the game play having now actually seen a glimpse of it. Mayhap the reviews will sell it to me.

Crossing Eden

From a vertical slice? Maybe they were further along in development at that point, but that's exactly why I feel I wish the window was smaller. Delays will happen, but I don't for a second believe they were as far into development as Fallout 4 was when they first debuted the game. I also acknowledge that Fallout is a bigger name that would need less time to build hype than a new IP.
FO4 is a terrible point of comparison here, (not to mention that it should've been delayed), FO4 was announced the same year of release The Division was announced with a game plan to release within at least a year, the consoles weren't even released yet when the Division was announced. So ofc they weren't content complete. Very different situations.

Also I'm not entirely sure how having future tech somehow invalidates the ability to do gritty.
Uh no, this is a also an RPG.RPGs aren't limited to either fantasy or sci-fi. They never said they were going for straight realism, in fact they said the opposite.

With this in mind, Cortes wants to make it clear from the off we should expect a title that owes more to its RPG heritage than anything else. While gameplay does indeed take the form of third-player cover-based shooting, the actual wider “point” of the game is all about that genre-defining progression of levelling up, hunting the best loot, and using all you find to scale even greater heights.

"For us, one of the biggest challenges is figuring out how to tell people how much of an RPG it is," Cortes explains. “It has shooting, and is shooter-like. If you look at it, that’s the whole point because we want it to be very immersive. But it’s not a shooter with some RPG stats tacked on. It’s actually a proper RPG from the very beginning. There’s deep progression when it comes to loot, gear and levels and you’ll be able to customise every skill, do exactly what you want and choose roles. So, that’s probably the biggest communication challenge. We want to make clear to everyone that it’s an RPG."

eshwaaz

This is certainly not specific to The Division, but I am so tired of seeing guys get riddled with bullets while showing absolutely no physical damage whatsoever. I'm not expecting gore and guts, but we had hit-specific bloodstains in Goldeneye way back in 1997. It just seems ridiculous that such an effect is not the bare minimum at this point.

On topic - I do think The Division looks like fun; the amount and quality of the solo content is the deciding factor for me.

Ryuuga

Banned
FO4 is a terrible point of comparison here, (not to mention that it should've been delayed), FO4 was announced the same year of release The Division was announced with a game plan to release within at least a year, the consoles weren't even released yet when the Division was announced. So ofc they weren't content complete. Very different situations.

You're right they are different situations which is why I'm bringing it up as an example. Their plan for release is as irrelevant as your thoughts on whether FO4 should've released in the state it did. The point I'm trying to reach is that I wish publishers, or whomever makes the call, does so when the game IS more content ready. To say, their plan is to have it ready by a certain date tells me nothing other than I wish they kept that plan close to them and debut it closer to their planned date.

She's a part of the Base. All wings in the base require you to do the mission to rescue the people to use that part of the base, and that's the same with making the bases better.

Really--I want to find her in the base to hear more of her story

It's a fairly standard color coding that everyone is familiar with. The only deviation Devs usually take with this is the colors of the top 1 or 2 categories. But White/Green/Blue/Purple is the standard Weakest to Strongest color scale.

Didn't know it was that common

---

Also from looking at vids and breakdowns I think I'm going health/tech for at least PVE and it will be still good for PVP

Crossing Eden

You're right they are different situations which is why I'm bringing it up as an example. Their plan for release is as irrelevant as your thoughts on whether FO4 should've released in the state it did. The point I'm trying to reach is that I wish publishers, or whomever makes the call, does so when the game IS more content ready. To say, their plan is to have it ready by a certain date tells me nothing other than I wish they kept that plan close to them and debut it closer to their planned date.
That implies that game development is incredibly linear and doesn't take a ton of time, It's common sense that a game on this scale had to be delayed because it wasn't content ready or the game mechanics weren't working well enough and ofc performance from the new game engine they made for the title.

Seems like they are also keeping the rarity system that shares the same color as Destiny's.

It's a fairly standard color coding that everyone is familiar with. The only deviation Devs usually take with this is the colors of the top 1 or 2 categories. But White/Green/Blue/Purple is the standard Weakest to Strongest color scale.

Didn't know it was that common

World of Warcraft uses the same colors. I'm glad they're using what people are used to. Guild Wars 2 was the same, but they swapped green and blue (green is better), and it still messes with my head every time I play.

Ryuuga

Banned
That implies that game development is incredibly linear and doesn't take a ton of time

Not said nor implied as I stated in my previous post that delays do happen even if a developer reaches a milestone they find acceptable. I am willing to accept that development takes much longer when an engine is being worked on alongside the game. We've seen many examples of games taking longer as a result. My request is a selfish one, but I'd be less critical of seeing the game for the first time in a more content-ready state than to see what essentially is a concept vision.

Edit: Also under the Ubi umbrella, FarCry 4 released within less than a year of it's announcement and Primal is set to do the same. Though I'm not one to compare the content for each franchise, that point is moot to my request.

Also I'm not entirely sure how having future tech somehow invalidates the ability to do gritty

The Witcher 3 is a hack n slash RPG. The more classic iteration of RPG's going back to Tabletop and Text RPGs are heavily Number/Statistic based. Your Attributes are given numbers, which influence your Damage, Defense, and Healing. In order to visually show this in games, numbers pop up. It's extremely common.

Also from looking at vids and breakdowns I think I'm going health/tech for at least PVE and it will be still good for PVP

Support roles look like they're going to be pretty effective and probably very important, so it's a solid idea. Keep in mind that The Division doesn't lock your builds either, so you can switch up your skills/build on the fly. You just have to unlock them first.

The Witcher 3 is a hack n slash RPG. The more classic iteration of RPG's going back to Tabletop and Text RPGs are heavily Number/Statistic based. Your Attributes are given numbers, which influence your Damage, Defense, and Healing. In order to visually show this in games, numbers pop up. It's extremely common.

Support roles look like they're going to be pretty effective and probably very important, so it's a solid idea. Keep in mind that The Division doesn't lock your builds either, so you can switch up your skills/build on the fly. You just have to unlock them first.

Can you clarify this, to get skills you just need to upgrade your base right? So in theory the first days grinding to get your base up would be best for early Dark Zone killing?

specialK

Banned
Ubisoft not this BS again = /

4414235-dogs4mevz.gif

Kadayi

Banned
Uh no, this is a also an RPG. RPGs aren't limited to either fantasy or sci-fi.

Are you for real? Or paid in full? This has nothing to do with genre. This is not selling me as a Role Playing Game. It's a shooter with equipment upgrades and base building elements 'Go there, shoot that, and get stuff' is hardly comparable to games that require you to make meaningful choices that have consequences to a narrative. Trying to pass it off as such is absurd.

They never said they were going for straight realism, in fact they said the opposite.[/URL

I think there's a comfortable middle ground. Arma is a lot more hardcore than Spec Ops the line, but the line approach wasn't a bad one in terms of putting some emphasis on what you could carry. I wasn't expecting day Z, but when your setting implies that vast swathes of humanity have been wiped out by a virus having you battle hordes of dudes at every turn seems to undermine the conceit of the narrative drive.

The more classic iteration of RPG's going back to Tabletop and Text RPGs are heavily Number/Statistic based. Your Attributes are given numbers, which influence your Damage, Defense, and Healing. In order to visually show this in games, numbers pop up. It's extremely common.

The reason for numbers in tabletop is because that is the entirety of the system. Beyond the numbers (and miniatures) you have only your imagination (and that of the GM) to bring things to life. With a strong visual medium like games where you can convey a huge amount of information within the game world without breaking immersion it's kind of backwards to cling to these sorts of hangovers at this juncture.

I think McLuhan expressed the thought that it is the nature of new media to ape the old until it finds its own feet (the first TV shows were simply radio broadcasts with talking heads) because there are no maps for these territories, but it's foolhardy to presume that the what is, should forever be.

Can you clarify this, to get skills you just need to upgrade your base right? So in theory the first days grinding to get your base up would be best for early Dark Zone killing?

How you unlock the skills, I don't know for certain. Typically in an RPG, you would either unlock skills in a set path as you level up OR as you level up you get some kind of Point that you can spend on a skill of your choice.

But as you mentioned, this also has the base mechanic where you do missions to upgrade wings and those wings give you access to more stuff. I'm not really sure if those wings simply give you access to more Vendor stuff or if it limits the types of skills you can unlock or what.

All I know is that it doesn't seem like you'll have access to all the skills right at the start but once you unlock the skills, you can freely switch between them at any time.

Are you for real? Or paid in full? This has nothing to do with genre. This is not selling me as a Role Playing Game. It's a shooter with equipment upgrades and base building elements 'Go there, shoot that, and get stuff' is hardly comparable to games that require you to make meaningful choices that have consequences to a narrative. Trying to pass it off as such is absurd.

The Developers have said The Division is an RPG first and foremost. So playing this game of arguing the semantics behind the Role Playing label is really silly.

Aselith

You need to open up your definition of what an RPG is. Dark Souls is an RPG but you don't make meaningful choices for the narrative. As are Final Fantasy games for the most part by the way, most of them don't have you making any choices about narrative.

Role Playing Game as it is used in common parlance applies much more to building out character loadouts than narrative.

I hope to God nobody purchases this game! Ubisoft needs to be put of business for their shady way of doing things! And for anyone thinking that PC ver. will be anything like that 2013 showing better think again! It's "WATCH DOGS" all over again!!!

I hate it that they can do this to us PC/Console gamers and away with this BS!

this has to be satire

Completely different situations and a very disingenuous comparison gif. Which is incredibly odd because there are areas that're directly comparable.

watch_dogs retail build as is on ANY platform doesn't look nearly as good as the e3 2012 reveal. you need to mod it/edit inis on PC to come close to that.

Crossing Eden

I think there's a comfortable middle ground. Arma is a lot more hardcore than Spec Ops the line, but the line approach wasn't a bad one in terms of putting some emphasis on what you could carry. I wasn't expecting day Z, but when your setting implies that vast swathes of humanity have been wiped out by a virus having you battle hordes of dudes at every turn seems to undermine the conceit of the narrative drive.
Was waiting for the inevitable pay accusation, took longer than it usually does. It's an RPG with shooter and base building mechanics. Not all RPGs are choice based narratives. Also the narrative isn't that a virus wiped out vast swathes of humanity. You're part of a group of agents specifically trained to deal with scenarios where the U.S. government has fallen, in this case you're in New York. It's not trying to be Arma.

watch_dogs retail build as is on ANY platform doesn't look nearly as good as the e3 2012 reveal. you need to mod it/edit inis on PC to come close to that.
Obviously, because they had to create the game for last gen consoles too the scale of the game, (effects and geometry specifically) was reduced. It's very different from the Division's development starting with the fact that it's next gen only.

this cycle always repeats itself. its always "wait for pc footage at ultra" and pc footage always ends up looking much closer to the console footage than the reveal footage. watch dogs, witcher 3, soon to be the division

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw8ZlbQ5II4

PC Version set on Low settings running on a 650Ti

PC Version Video Options: (in case video gets taken down)
Vsync (on/off)
Frame Rate Limit (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Spot Shadow Count
Spot Shadow Resolution
Contact Shadows
Post FX AA
Temporal AA
Sharpen Image (%)
Particle Detail
Enable Wind-affected Snow
Volumetric Fog
Reflection Quality
Local Reflection Quality
Sub-surface Scattering
Anisotropic Filtering
Parallax Mapping
Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Object Detail (%)
Extra Streaming Distance (%)
Chromatic Aberration (on/off)
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)

Nice!

No mention of the Global Illumination. Hopefully it is just an integrated engine feature on PC. Because it looks like they stripped it from the console version sometime in 2015.

Crossing Eden

this cycle always repeats itself. its always "wait for pc footage at ultra" and pc footage always ends up looking much closer to the console footage than the reveal footage. watch dogs, witcher 3, soon to be the division
Neither W3 nor WD had extensive options like the Division which is heavily customizable and looks much better than both.

Neither W3 nor WD had extensive options like the Division which is heavily customizable and looks much better than both.

that doesnt mean that the visuals scale far beyond the console versions. and again, even tho its massive they are now owned by ubisoft, and have a hugely different development staff compared to the team that developed WiC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUeqTCjiFIk

nearly everything ubi makes is so massively downgraded it ends up looking like a completely different game

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
Downgrade talk aside (I think that it's looks fine and it was kinda obvious that Ubisoft isn't going to keep their "promise" regarding the graphics/or better: a game that was announced couple of years ago surely goes through a lot of changes )

My biggest fear and gripe with these videos is: It looks like it will make the same mistakes like Destiny, even though Destiny came out 1,5 years ago which should've gave the Devs enough time and room for improvements and enhancements of the system that Destiny was not able and is yet to achieve.

What I can see here:
- generic enemies that withstand whole mags (which isn't the problem at first) but only wear hoodies and bandanas... I wished for a bit more immersion
- map looks like they cut out 4 zones of the previously shown game few months/years ago (same thing as Destiny here, maybe selling as DLC later on?) (maybe were not ready to ship yet?)
- mission design seems to be like: go there, kill, extract, waves of enemies
- no real end game besides PvP/Griefing dark zone (Destiny at least has raids for 6 players, real PvP and repetitive strikes)
- character editor is as poor as Destiny's (and bungie too said after the Alpha/Beta: there will be more options, there were not lol)

Two things they did better than Destiny after watching the videos:
- missions do not seem to interrupt your experience everytime you finish them, no loading screens!
- more customization options! (layered armor, awesome idea)
- base building is a neat idea (imagine space ship building or whatever in Destiny D: )

Sorry for comparing it to Destiny but that's the only game that tried to combine Shooter with "MMO/RPG" this generation.

Crossing Eden

that doesnt mean that the visuals scale far beyond the console versions. and again, even tho its massive they are now owned by ubisoft, and have a hugely different development staff compared to the team that developed WiC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUeqTCjiFIk

nearly everything ubi makes is so massively downgraded it ends up looking like a completely different game
Most studios don't have the same overall staff that they did ten years ago so that's not very relevant to discussion. And again you're comparing a Ubisoft Montreal title to Massive, who once again, has a long history with PC and developed their engine with PC in mind. We already set that the console versions have retained the engine features that they were advertising, and that the low settings are comparable with the console settings. I'll eat crow if there isn't a major difference on pc.

Most studios don't have the same overall staff that they did ten years ago so that's not very relevant to discussion. And again you're comparing a Ubisoft Montreal title to Massive, who once again, has a long history with PC and developed their engine with PC in mind. We already set that the console versions have retained the engine features that they were advertising, and that the low settings are comparable with the console settings. I'll eat crow if there isn't a major difference on pc.

its going to require some insanely large improvements over the console version for the pc version to match the reveal footage(and not just stuff that can be automated with simple ini settings), and i dont see that happening. especially not in todays market. theres certainly no historical precedent for it. DIce has a long PC history too, and look at battlefront. nearly a direct port. barely any difference between pc and console other than resolution. cd project red, another studio with a long PC history, other than foliage and shadow lod, little in the way of differences in witcher 3. i also dont see why youre drawing such a distinction between massive and every other UBI studio

this is literally the exact way the months leading up to witcher 3 played out.

Crossing Eden

its going to require some insanely large improvements over the console version for the pc version to match the reveal footage(and not just stuff that can be automated with simple ini settings), and i dont see that happening. especially not in todays market. theres certainly no historical precedent for it. DIce has a long PC history too, and look at battlefront. nearly a direct port. barely any difference between pc and console other than resolution. cd project red, another studio with a long PC history, other than foliage and shadow lod, little in the way of differences in witcher 3. i also dont see why youre drawing such a distinction between massive and every other UBI studio

this is literally the exact way the months leading up to witcher 3 played out.
What stuff specifically? And again, Battlefront is a bad comparison since it doesn't have anywhere near as many options for visuals included in the game, visuals that when maxed, would naturally drastically affect the look of a game. Neither does TW3, and at this point in time, no one knew what the exact options for witcher 3's pc port were. I'm pointing out the difference because I for one of tired of some acting like studios are entities, it downplays the work of the studio to paint a broad brush and make blanket statements about their work due to who purchased them.

Jesus that gif is horribly inaccurate. Isn't the 2013 video from that screwed up Aisha Tyler clip that was immediately pulled due to it being mistakenly put up?
Yep, it's funny since WD looks better than that 2013 version in the final build.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
What stuff specifically? And again, Battlefront is a bad comparison since it doesn't have anywhere near as many options for visuals included in the game, visuals that when maxed, would naturally drastically affect the look of a game. Neither does TW3, and at this point in time, no one knew what the exact options for witcher 3's pc port were. I'm pointing out the difference because I for one of tired of some acting like studios are entities, it downplays the work of the studio to paint a broad brush and make blanket statements about their work due to who purchased them.

Yep, it's funny since WD looks better than that 2013 version in the final build.

Do you work at Ubiosft or what? I see you have been defending everything in 15 pages of this thread.

Crossing Eden

Do you work at Ubiosft or what? I see you have been defending everything in 15 pages of this thread.
You're welcome to address my points like others instead of being yet another person accusing me of working for the company. Because god forbid discussion happens on a discussion forum.

Senhua

One of the better videos I've seen of high level gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQZofKGFKc&feature=youtu.be

I might have to get the turret because it can be upgraded to shoot fire.

Tech being my main focus and then health for skills. I really don't see the other one being that good. Being able to put up armor anywhere is nice but I rather just be aware of my environment.

Looks fun for me.
Why melee animation looks so outdated? Just simple push with barrel of a gun, are you kidding me?
Can they use execution kill like Assassin's Creed?
Generally animation quality is very poor, this is not Ubisoft development studio level IMO.

M.W.

What kind of shit posting is this? Get the hell outta here.

Welcome to this thread. Drive by shit post after shit post. People get banned for hating on Destiny I can only hope the trend continues for this game when it's released.

Nice!

No mention of the Global Illumination. Hopefully it is just an integrated engine feature on PC. Because it looks like they stripped it from the console version sometime in 2015.

The lack of GI in the console versions makes it hard for me to look at. It just really sticks out. I'm not worried about the PC version. I think massive will do a great job with the pc version. People just need to be patient and wait for legit pc footage at max settings. I just looked at the 2013 reveal, and the graphics honestly don't really impress me as much as they did back then.

Pop

Looks fun for me.
Why melee animation looks so outdated? Just simple push with barrel of a gun, are you kidding me?
Can they use execution kill like Assassin's Creed?
Generally animation quality is very poor, this is not Ubisoft development studio level IMO.

Melee isn't meant to do damage, just give separation.

Top Bottom