• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division - 15 minutes of new gameplay

What stuff specifically? And again, Battlefront is a bad comparison since it doesn't have anywhere near as many options for visuals included in the game, visuals that when maxed, would naturally drastically affect the look of a game. Neither does TW3, and at this point in time, no one knew what the exact options for witcher 3's pc port were. I'm pointing out the difference because I for one of tired of some acting like studios are entities, it downplays the work of the studio to paint a broad brush and make blanket statements about their work due to who purchased them.

Yep, it's funny since WD looks better than that 2013 version in the final build.

what i mean is, dialing up various ini settings related to LOD/shadows are not going to cut it. i see it all the time. "new magic ini tweaks found to bring the visuals back to trade show reveal level!!!". the lighting model looks to be entirely redone to be simpler and more performant. i dont think people are unjustified at all in expecting the worst from ubisoft. they have more than earned their negative reputation. they knowingly mislead customers every chance they get. is it possible that massive will be the first ubi studio to do things differently? sure. is it at all likely? not IMO

cackhyena

The Witcher 3 is an RPG, this ...

Also I'm not entirely sure how having future tech somehow invalidates the ability to do gritty

And that's your counterpoint?

I'll break it down for you. I watched the video (all of it, even with the weird fapping noises)., and those are my takeaways. Enemies look too bullet spongy and the hits detract from the overall look of the game. I'm not saying it's terrible (I dig the environments and the premise) I'm just less enthused by the game play having now actually seen a glimpse of it. Mayhap the reviews will sell it to me.
Wasn't meant to be a counterpoint? I genuinely couldn't tell, since it's such a goofy line to take...I thought you might be poking fun at everyone who watches videos of this and somehow still doesn't understand it's not a straight up shooter. You and a lot of others can't get past it's realistic look, coupled with mmo/rpg-like encounters. Where a normal ass looking bad guy takes several clips to go down. If you're not down with something like Destiny, you apparently won't be down for this. The game just isn't what you want it to be. I'm personally more interested in it, knowing what it's become.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Welcome to this thread. Drive by shit post after shit post. People get banned for hating on Destiny I can only hope the trend continues for this game when it's released.
What always gets me is that accusations like "Do you work for the company?!" is seemingly allowed. That shit is gamefaqs worthy.

what i mean is, dialing up various ini settings related to LOD/shadows are not going to cut it. i see it all the time. "new magic ini tweaks found to bring the visuals back to trade show reveal level!!!". the lighting model looks to be entirely redone to be simpler and more performant. i dont think people are unjustified at all in not viewing ubisoft with high standards. they have more than earned their negative reputation. is it possible that massive will be the first ubi studio to do things differently? sure. is it at all likely? not IMO
Dude, the game doesn't just have ini tweaks. The shit that's usually relegated to ini tweaks are in the actual game menu. You're saying that these things which are likely on the lower end of the spectrum on consoles wouldn't make a difference when turned all the way up on a high end pc?

Vsync (on/off)
Frame Rate Limit (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Spot Shadow Count
Spot Shadow Resolution
Contact Shadows
Post FX AA
Temporal AA

Sharpen Image (%)
Particle Detail
Enable Wind-affected Snow
Volumetric Fog
Reflection Quality
Local Reflection Quality

Sub-surface Scattering
Anisotropic Filtering
Parallax Mapping
Ambient Occlusion
Depth of Field
Object Detail (%)
Extra Streaming Distance (%)

Chromatic Aberration (on/off)
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)

The lighting model for instance is the same. Ofc things like AO aren't as good as they will be on the pc.

Every time I see the game there is only three players, did they change something or has anyone actually had/seen four players in a group?

Welcome to this thread. Drive by shit post after shit post. People get banned for hating on Destiny I can only hope the trend continues for this game when it's released.

I mean, shit, there's enough to take issue with the game without devolving into a lot of the nonsense popping up. Amazes me people can't stand to wait 6 days for the Ultra footage, if it's actually coming, to pop up and compare. But no, everyone has to be Professor Chucklehead that thinks they really got something with what essentially boils down to a meme of a different game or can't articulate an argument beyond a childish shill witch hunt when that fails.

Ubisoft surely did make their own bed in setting themselves up for these reactions that could very well prove to be vindicated, but it also shows how...ignorant...consumers can really be, especially with a strong bias at stake.

And here I thought we had a good thing going with the spongy shit A.I.

This one has 4 but one is on tablet so I dunno if that counts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v39AT3d3a2Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=1226

Haha that calm, scripted commentary. Totally forgot about that.

I'm not sure if all of that is staying in or what's going on.

Vitor711

Hmm - shooting looks super unsatisfying.

You know why Destiny can get away with bullet sponge enemies that only react to high damage shots? Because they're aliens with armour and shields. That shits looks super weird when dumping several clips into dudes wearing t-shirts and seeing them not react.

Not great gun sounds either. Hype deflated.

What always gets me is that accusations like "Do you work for the company?!" is seemingly allowed. That shit is gamefaqs worthy.

Dude, the game doesn't just have ini tweaks. The shit that's usually relegated to ini tweaks are in the actual game menu. You're saying that these things which are likely on the lower end of the spectrum on consoles wouldn't make a difference when turned all the way up on a high end pc?

The lighting model for instance is the same. Ofc things like AO aren't as good as they will be on the pc.

im not saying there will be zero improvement over the console version, but enough to bridge these gaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6kehLgXdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jrVPcIarU

not even close

Crossing Eden

im not saying there will be zero improvement over the console version, but enough to bridge these gaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6kehLgXdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jrVPcIarU

not even close
It was already shown in this thread that things like environment density varies greatly in the map. I posted a gif that showed just as many objects in the environment as the original reveal. As well as stuff like weather effects and ofc the day/night cycle. The e3 2015 demo especially is the least comparable because that build of the dark zone has a pseudo-piss filter compared to the area outside the zone and seems to no longer be the case.. A lot of the comparisons in that second video especially don't even make sense, they the tech trailer and then compare it to the darkzone trailer. If anything, we've already seen some of these more expensive effects up and running on pcs.

Grief.exe

I suppose that answers the Twink question. On watching that Jack Frags video, he did not receive any Character Experience for killing PVE mobs in the Dark Zone, just more Dark Zone Experience.

So you can leave your character at the maximum Character Level for a PVP bracket in the Dark Zone and Twink.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
You guys seriously should give this campaign against the game a rest. I can understand that you all wouldn't be so quick and willing to trust Ubisoft given some of their actions in the past and I'm not suggesting to give them a free pass but if the game has an open beta on all platforms it will soon be releasing on, why can't some of you just save your criticisms and vitriol until after you experience the game itself as opposed to relying on poorly captured footage and seemingly omitting the newly released footage that shows varying times of day that shows the game has retained much of its graphical fidelity? Just wait until you play the beta and if the game is garbage, trash it then but to do it now, you all just seem like vindictive, grudge holders with no interest in the game other than to detract from other people's enjoyment.

DrBo42

What the balls is a Twink

Twink is a gay slang term used to describe young men in their late teens to early twenties. Usage of the term varies, but traits attributed to twinks can include attractiveness, having little or no body or facial hair, a slim to average build, or appearing to be younger than their chronological age. The term dates back to at least 1963, but may be derived from the older British term twank.

Or it's someone min-maxed with the best possible gear/abilities for a certain level bracket. In WoW they'll turn off their XP earning to stay at that level. Entirely PvP focused.

It's a character that is intentionally kept at low level while being outfitted with the best possible gear for that level. It's most effective in games where PvP is seperated by level brackets (1-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc..). You'd level a character to the top level of a particular bracket and give it the top gear it can equip, making it the strongest it can be in the bracket.

This allows you to dominate the PvP in the bracket. It's common in MMO games that have PvP brackets in organized pvp modes. World of Warcraft is where I first saw the tactic and the term.

Grief.exe

It's a character that is intentionally kept at low level while being outfitted with the best possible gear for that level. It's most effective in games where PvP is seperated by level brackets (1-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc..). You'd level a character to the top level of a particular bracket and give it the top gear it can equip, making it the strongest it can be in the bracket.

This allows you to dominate the PvP in the bracket. It's common in MMO games that have PvP brackets in organized pvp modes. World of Warcraft is where I first saw the tactic and the term.

Dark Souls is a good example as well. Players would intentionally keep their character at low level while obtaining the best items in the game, then they can invade lower level players.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Don't kill me for this...

...But I think it looks good.

Anyways, I am glad the developer seems to have gone steadfast with the "this is an RPG" narrative. The notion that a game cannot become an RPG because the "battle system" is a 3rd person shooter is just hogwash. It's no different than the action battle systems the likes of Tales, FF XV, FFVII Remake, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, etc etc etc.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The video in the OP is just alpha footage. Why is this "new gameplay"?

Is it common for Low settings to completely remove major interactive objects like that car in the first shot of the video? I mean I know in some cases, big pieces of geometry can just appear not to be there due to Draw Distance differences.. but that doesn't seem far enough for Draw distance to cause it. And in a game like this, seeing or not seeing a car that can be used as cover seems odd.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Very interesting.
Interesting.
Twink is a gay slang term used to describe young men in their late teens to early twenties. Usage of the term varies, but traits attributed to twinks can include attractiveness, having little or no body or facial hair, a slim to average build, or appearing to be younger than their chronological age. The term dates back to at least 1963, but may be derived from the older British term twank.

Or it's someone min-maxed with the best possible gear/abilities for a certain level bracket. In WoW they'll turn off their XP earning to stay at that level. Entirely PvP focused.
jim-halpert-worried-face-o.gif

Oh god, Bish doesn't like The Division, right?
Right??

Senhua

Is it common for Low settings to completely remove major interactive objects like that car in the first shot of the video? I mean I know in some cases, big pieces of geometry can just appear not to be there due to Draw Distance differences.. but that doesn't seem far enough for Draw distance to cause it. And in a game like this, seeing or not seeing a car that can be used as cover seems odd.

Yup, I feel same too.

Crossing Eden

The video in the OP is just alpha footage. Why is this "new gameplay"?
It's beta footage. Every major outlet released new gameplay this week.

Well no. He appears to be standing closer in low than he is ultra. Also does changing the settings adjust TOD? Many of those pics are quite literally night and day.

RefigeKru

Banned
I can't even remember what the original footage looks like. It's common sense that it's all mock up footage anyways. If someone shows you footage of a game years from release and it's looking amazing you should know it's not real and a guesstimate as to what they are shooting for.

Not the problem. I know this, I'm here having other people tell me I'm revising history and that this game itself wasn't downgraded and ultimately to suck the next downgrade down. "Hey that game you wanted never truly existed but it's alright because you knew this was happening, right?" PC version, Massive entertainmentblahblahblahblah.

1No games do not always look better from release compared to the initial reveal, especially when you see some of the stuff they have in mind before optimization happens. 2And wtf is this revisionist history? People have been waiting years to see how it looks? 3 Are you insinuating that Massive only showed the original demo and are just now showing the console build to the public instead of having multiple demos at pretty much every major trade show for the past three years? Also it's already been established, 4some areas of the game have more debris, some don't. It's a huge map. Not to mention the people coming out and commenting on how it looks better in person. And lifeless, the new footage today and last week showed more npc behavior than we saw in the reveals. I already posted a gif of the xb1 build with more clutter as well. 5 People are incredibly unspecific as to what constitutes a "downgrade" from a technical perspective. So let's actually go through what they promised visually:
-SSR-->check
-Seamless transitions between interiors and exteriors--->check
-Dynamic weather effects and day/night cycle--->check
-Cluttered environments-->check, this area has more clutter than that original demo

m8

1 I feel like if you're never willing to concede that games, especially Ubisoft games don't get downgraded then sure it might feel this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nfIu4Jo0g
"Ubisoft downgrade" in Youtube, first result.

2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJD8DMasCU&list=PLBnrd5k2F2INJFw2M5d6ZO3v2N8TbpZNC&index=16

1st video of The Division on Ubisoft's own Youtube page July 10th 2013, featuring supposed gameplay that needed optimisation yet unsurprisingly ran and looks better than anything of the game we've seen since <--- this is fucking important holy shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Om9DUSukY&list=PLBnrd5k2F2INJFw2M5d6ZO3v2N8TbpZNC&index=8

Next "gameplay video", posted Jun 9th 2014 notice the HUD, echo's, graphics, shaders, interactivity, animations, etc that we won't recieve. Remember based on your position that games do not get better looking from the initial reveal I should KNOW a year on from the original video that we won't be getting this in the final game. Subject to change. LOL.

A year on, we get this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bc2fv0jcgg&index=4&list=PLBnrd5k2F2INJFw2M5d6ZO3v2N8TbpZNC

the E3 2015 trailer which also comes with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTDWmi210A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns6mjwwFBmo

Honestly, if you don't see what I'm talking about here... I'm not the problem. I've been on this site for years, I've heard people more emotional invested in this shit point out far more than I have, but if you can't see the difference in what you've been presented year on, year on - don't try to tell me that I can't, simple. Particularly since what we're discussing right now is how this footage, so close to release looks so you know, different from everything else we've seen up to this point. I couldn't be clearer, if you can't see it - it's on you.

3 Why do you think we've only just come onto seeing this footage now? Honestly? I remember when alpha footage leaked it was "just alpha", then this footage was shown and it was just "720p compressed youtube", we get 1080p and it's "wait for the PC version", when that drops I can't wait to hear you and your ilk drop the oh-so-inevitable "well, even though it doesn't look as good as before it still looks great". Remember my issue isn't whether or not you're contented, happy with what you see - it's the perpetual practice of Ubisoft to present "concept renders" and all that shite as gameplay, go dark, plop out a game which is the equivalent of a cover band's rendition of a rock classic (hotel california) visually and have people like you tell me I'm wrong for noticing the myth of advertising even though we see it day in, day out.

Hope your aren't also disappointed when you don't get this after you order from the menu...

mcdonalds-Cheeseburger.png

The game looks great. And I also think it is great to play. (played the shit out of the Alpha) But never trust what some companies are trying to sell at E3 and other events.

Why, why defend these people? Aren't you angry? "McDonald's clearly lies to you, so why do you care if Ubisoft has been doing it for years too?"

4 I could go in depth here but this more than anything just shows we're not on the same page. Do you know what I mean by Mise-en-scene? It's clear if you look at the original Far Cry 4 footage and then look at the game people paid ££ for. I find the "looks better in person" comment quite pointless as every game looks better in person. Someone earlier posted something I wish was said earlier...

How on earth does "youtube" counter any discussion of a downgrade when people are comparing this youtube footage to earlier released youtube footage?

It's amazing. Like we haven't all been shackled to the internet since it's inception.

5 Outside of the quality of the lighting, the textures, the image quality, density of mise-en-scene (a key proponent of the cinematography/aesthetic - here reduced to mere rubble and trash), the animation, the echos, the construction of gameplay we've been shown which Jim Sterling himself has spoken on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRHYTzot8Po&index=30&list=PLlRceUcRZcK0E1Id3NHchFaxikvCvAVQe

Speaking on the illusion crafted by Ubisoft which includes, every facet I've spoken on.

Ultimately, I know I can never convince you. I don't intend to. I will not however let you spout your perspective as gospel.

Crossing Eden
Yves Guillemot's secret GAF account.

Almost forgot

LiynzV2.png

yes or no question, has it in your opinion been dowgraded from the original footage we were shown in 2013?

DrBo42

Come on Refige, CrossingEden isn't on trial here. You should already know what he's like based on any other Ubi thread on here. He has the tag for a reason. Best to just move on and not derail further IMO.

Are there any info on how deep is the player customization

Here's a vid on Character Creation options.

There's also a system in place where you can wear different skins that change the look of your character without changing your stats. There's a podcast on The Divisions official site where they go into it, saying there's tons of options but that's not really quantifiable I think.

Some of the playthrough vids that are up show the slots for the cosmetic skins though. Here's a post with a ton of different vids if you want to skim through some.

Crossing Eden

m8

1 I feel like if you're never willing to concede that games, especially Ubisoft games don't get downgraded then sure it might feel this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nfIu4Jo0g
"Ubisoft downgrade" in Youtube, first result.

Mainly because people usually don't even know what a downgrade usually is in the same way that a lot of people don't know the meaning of the term "unoptimized." WD is an actual downgrade
-They had to tone down the geometry, effects, scale to accommodate last gen consoles.

What people usually refer to as a downgrade is "Hey that section doesn't look exactly the same" while disregarding any other area of the game that may look better, just to point to two quick examples. The original demo of the division had no cloth physics. The weather effects also didn't look as good as they did at e3 2015. And as we've seen there's an area with even more clutter than that original street. Oh and let's not forget, that this interior, is certainly a lot bigger and more complex than the small police station in the original demo, and retains the same effects like SSR and dynamic lighting. It's almost as if this is a relatively big open and that one corner is not the entire game. We also know that the scope of the ame was not heavily altered. Some ideas changed ofc, but the scope is still the same in terms of what they wanted to do with the map.

2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJD8DMasCU&list=PLBnrd5k2F2INJFw2M5d6ZO3v2N8TbpZNC&index=16
1st video of The Division on Ubisoft's own Youtube page July 10th 2013, featuring supposed gameplay that needed optimisation yet unsurprisingly ran and looks better than anything of the game we've seen since <--- this is fucking important holy shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Om9DUSukY&list=PLBnrd5k2F2INJFw2M5d6ZO3v2N8TbpZNC&index=8

Next "gameplay video", posted Jun 9th 2014 notice the HUD, echo's, graphics, shaders, interactivity, animations, etc that we won't recieve. Remember based on your position that games do not get better looking from the initial reveal I should KNOW a year on from the original video that we won't be getting this in the final game. Subject to change. LOL.
Are you honestly trying to argue that HUD elements don't change during development? And no, you misinterpreted my statement. As anyone who has ever told you anything about working on games, some areas get worse, others get better, most of the time they shoot for the stars before reality catches up and they have to make the product instead of a vertical slice or in-engine tech demo.

3 Why do you think we've only just come onto seeing this footage now? Honestly? I remember when alpha footage leaked it was "just alpha", then this footage was shown and it was just "720p compressed youtube", we get 1080p and it's "wait for the PC version", when that drops I can't wait to hear you and your ilk drop the oh-so-inevitable "well, even though it doesn't look as good as before it still looks great". Remember my issue isn't whether or not you're contented, happy with what you see - it's the perpetual practice of Ubisoft to present "concept renders" and all that shite as gameplay, go dark, plop out a game which is the equivalent of a cover band's rendition of a rock classic (hotel california) visually and have people like you tell me I'm wrong for noticing the myth of advertising even though we see it day in, day out.
Both the it's alpha footage, and the it's 720p compressed youtube footage still stand. And no, we haven't received 1080p footage, this is a what a 1080p video on youtube looks like.
YxhDmh.jpg

Can you imagine the reaction you'd get if you tried to use the above to cite a downgrade for UC4 compared to that original 60fps higher LOD footage? When this is what direct feed looks like in comparison? Man, it's almost like youtube compresses videos to hell and back more often than not especially videos with low bitrates.

And I guarantee an astounding low amount of people have actually downloaded the direct feed xb1 alpha footage actually. Which were the source of gifs representative of the visuals on xb1 unlike the video in the OP. hich btw, has been debunked multiple times by multiple sources who played the game as not representative of the visuals, in this very thread. Yet those go ignored. Because so many don't actually care about discussing the technical specifics of a game and what's better and what's worse.
RemorsefulTalkativeAllosaurus.gif

ACTUAL HD footage is out there for people to see and so many are for some reason unwilling to actually watch it. Speaking of footage, the footage in the OP, how in the world can you argue that it's representative of what the game looks like? The game has good IQ.

4 I could go in depth here but this more than anything just shows we're not on the same page. Do you know what I mean by Mise-en-scene? It's clear if you look at the original Far Cry 4 footage and then look at the game people paid ££ for. I find the "looks better in person" comment quite pointless as every game looks better in person. Someone earlier posted something I wish was said earlier...
This and this is what FC4 looked like at release and that looked better than anything they showed at e3. But because a tree is moved, the entire game has been downgrade&#8482;, see how little sense that makes?

5 Outside of the quality of the lighting, the textures, the image quality, density of mise-en-scene (a key proponent of the cinematography/aesthetic - here reduced to mere rubble and trash), the animation, the echos, the construction of gameplay we've been shown which Jim Sterling himself has spoken on.
Because you've seen the whole map and every corner of detail. We should most definitely ignore the impressions of people who say otherwise that there are more cluttered areas and less cluttered areas.

Crossing Eden
Yves Guillemot's secret GAF account.
And there's the tag quote. Wouldn't be a faux outrage thread without it. Ugh...

Aselith

Haha that calm, scripted commentary. Totally forgot about that.

I'm not sure if all of that is staying in or what's going on.

My favorite bit of exposition disguised as team chatter is when she says, "Remember, guys, we might not be alone in here." as they enter the Dark Zone.

Like, oh yeah I forgot that we're entering a PvP zone in the game I play with you lol

Crossing Eden

My favorite bit of exposition disguised as team chatter is when she says, "Remember, guys, we might not be alone in here." as they enter the Dark Zone.

Like, oh yeah I forgot that we're entering a PvP zone in the game I play with you lol
While it is quite obviously rehearsed. It's surprisingly not that far off from the real thing. Some people get really into games lol.

gif

So this looks a lot better. PC?
XB1 alpha, direct feed video from a gaffer.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Jeez.....so much Ubisoft hate. Amazing how so many hate Ubisoft yet spend their time bashing the company when you would think that they would just go do something else.

As for any kind of downgrade, has anyone actually thought that instead of the console versions being downgraded, the PC version just gets upgraded? Which in turn, makes the console versions look downgraded even though they aren't?

People need to stop comparing PC gameplay demo's from years ago to the current product. Demo's are never finished and are always missing a ton of stuff that ends up being in the final version.

I personally think that the game looks damn good and to be perfectly honest, how good do you really need any game to look? Watching gameplay videos of The Division, I have several complaints/concerns but visuals aren't one of them.

Can't wait for the Beta in two weeks. :)

Crossing Eden

Oh wow, what a difference better video quality makes.

Maybe one day somebody is going to put together a video hosting and streaming service that has the ease and functionality of youtube but with quality that is more suitable to HD gaming.
Gamersyde so far is the closest thing we get to this.

Top Bottom