• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division gameplay video (HQ)

Sianos

It makes me happy to see health bars with numbers on them, numbers make me feel confident and in control of the situation. A small thing, but those numbers make me excited for the game and the style of gameplay it's going for. Numbers!

sunnz

One thing I HATE about level based damage and MMO's like this is that it makes the combat feel like it has a lot less.. impact, as kinda seen in this gameplay trailer. Since it takes quite a lot of ammo to kill it kinda ruins it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
i'm already bored... I know that's dismissive, but it really doesn't inspire me. What they showed was so similar to last year that... eh. I'm sure it'll be cool for those into it but I really don't see anything that speaks to what I want out of games. AC: Unity as well. I don't care for playing with others enough.

shock-value

Neo Member
People are going on about the gameplay and graphics, but to me the potentially groundbreaking feature of this game is the map. Are they really recreating (a significant portion of) NYC at 1-to-1 scale at this level of detail? Judging by the two gameplay demos they've shown off, the answer seems to be yes. And that is simply incredible if so.

I mean, just a straight-line walk from where the first demo took place (DUMBO in Brooklyn) to where this one does (Madison Sq Garden in Manhattan) would require an immense amount of research and art development. The fact that this is supposedly an open world title boggles the mind. (And as a resident of NYC I can tell you the first two areas they've shown are incredibly accurate to real life.)

I am actually astounded that this could be true, so I'm leaning toward two possibilities:
1) They are modeling select "zones" of New York and you can't actually walk seamlessly between them
or
2) Ubisoft is embarking on a massive, unprecedented project to fully model NYC and will reuse this work in other titles

Obviously the second possibility is quite intriguing, if unlikely.

Xiaoki

That pretty much means the story is just an afterthought to gameplay, in which case they wasted their time with that reveal trailer explaining how the world ended up the way it did.

IMO, the reason MMO games like WoW get players to max out their character's level is because of a very strong lore and the interest to see a central quest to the end.

If you are indeed better informed than me and this game is in fact as you claim, then it's a huge waste, and not next-gen at all, in my book.

Every time Blizzard tries to put more in-game story into WoW it is met with overwhelming negative feedback. The Uldum zone from Cataclysm was especially bad. The WoW players spoke and they do not want story getting in the way of killing things.

Its fine if you want to play games specifically for story and lore but why be so critical of games that do not cater exactly to your tastes? They are things about The Division that I dont like but Im not so arrogant as to say "I dont like this and if they dont make it how I think it should be then this game will fail!"

Also, what is a "next gen" game? Are racing games "next gen" in your book?

Gurish

Guys, have you downloaded the HQ version from Gamersyde? the IQ is horrible, tons of aliasing issues, for me it's downgraded cause it's just not as impressive at all with those jaggies everywhere.

Pretty disappointing.

Gilgamesh

I'm looking forward to seeing the game develop and I'm psyched overall... but damn, the "team banter" that they script is year-on-year awful.

"Watch your step."

Are you kidding me? In what world do you tell a human ally to watch their step when going up a flight of in-game stairs. Is there a danger of tripping? I'm pretty sure my character will navigate the terrain just fine.

Still hyped, obvs, I just hate that shit :)

One of the most cringe-inducing things in the world is the roleplaying during press conference multiplayer demos.

DieH@rd

Banned
Guys, have you downloaded the HQ version from Gamersyde? the IQ is horrible, tons of aliasing issues, for me it's downgraded cause it's just not as impressive at all with those jaggies everywhere.

Pretty disappointing.

Well, original demo was made with DS4 controller. Aliasing will most likely be less present on PS4. We have to wait...

Novocaine

I want to be hyped for this, but that feeling that I'll end up getting let down again is too strong. Come one Ubi, deliver, you can do it.

Jeramii

Banned
These type of trailers with "convincing" voice actors who really get into their roles, drive me insane.

It's like Randy Marsh on the WoW episode of South Park.

Considering this game was originally slated for release this year they haven't really explained much about the game unless I've missed some info on it. Definitely looking forward to this however.

Very impressive visually, but like Rainbow Six I am not a fan of the voice-over-hand-holding.

"come on guys, "great job you guys", "hey guise watch out" seriously you guise seriously". It makes me think that these experiences are quite linear even if it's in an open world, and that's a shame.

I like the look of the UI, and the dead space-esque 3d vritual space interface ques.

Faith

Do you really think all those demo were played on Xbox One? In my opinion that was the PC version played with a One controller, and the same thing is gonna happen in the Sony conference.
Lol 100% sure. Look at the aliasing and the low resolution (probably 720p). It's obvious that it can't be the PC version.

spekkeh

Banned
Player control looks too smooth/fluid... I'm skeptical this thing is even a real vertical slice. Reminds me of the first time Ubi showed GRAW. It was a complete fabrication.

I'm getting a similar vibe from this.
It's 100% staged. They were saying things like 'man down' before they even started shooting. I'm quite positive that if you could find a direct feed of the guy playing and superimpose it, you'll find that he's not really playing.

Did the developers/Ubi/anyone say how the Story will unfolds ?

There is NO offline SP, but is there maybe an Online SP, or is it a MP/Co-Op Story ?, and if so, how will the story unfolds, Story Quests or what ?, It can't be all PvP right ?!

Coreda

I'm looking forward to seeing the game develop and I'm psyched overall... but damn, the "team banter" that they script is year-on-year awful.

Still hyped, obvs, I just hate that shit :)

Am I the only one who actually enjoys the scripted convos in these demos? Miles better than hearing/seeing the likely frantic reality. I also interpreted the 'watch your step' line as her being a bit facetious, considering how much action they normally see.

PaintCans.webm

Someone make it happen

http://a.pomf.se/liuuql.webm

With audio.

will I be able to play by myself?

I never play with friends

The only person I play with is my brother, but we do coop on the same console

Grief.exe

Lol 100% sure. Look at the aliasing and the low resolution (probably 720p). It's obvious that it can't be the PC version.

The first gameplay trailer shown last year was definitely the PC version being shown. Can't say definitively with this trailer, but it is in 1080p, check the Gameryde page.

RayMaker

Banned
It looks a lot downgrading since the first gameplay trailer.

Its not just the aliasing, but also everything else. the lighting, polycount or all the debris and trash, the textures, the colors the smoke effects, bloody everything

I'am sick of ubi and other firms doing this, when will they learn it will hurt there business doing this.

------------------

MMMm after re watching the e3 2013 footage maybe that section is more visually impressive?

Pryce

I'm excited but:

1. Is everything scripted? Or is this world going to be like DayZ?

2. There's going to be more than one map, right?

sjay1994

It looks a lot downgrading since the first gameplay trailer.

Its not just the aliasing, but also everything else. the lighting, polycount or all the debris and trash, the textures, the colors the smoke effects, bloody everything

I'am sick of ubi and other firms doing this, when will they learn it will hurt there business doing this.

------------------

MMMm after re watching the e3 2013 footage maybe that section is more visually impressive?

The underground metro with barely any light doesn't look as impressive at the area soaked in light?

Impossible.

Uncharted-3-Wallpaper-720p-Syria-15.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-screenshot-06.jpg

The guy playing the presentation demo was a terrible shot. So either they got someone who sucked, or this game has janky ass controls for shooting.

This looks like it could be absolutely INCREDIBLE. Emphasis on COULD BE.

If Ubisoft wants to have any chance of this being really good, they need to design the missions around choice. If the goal is almost always behind a mandatory firefight then my interest drops instantly.

I want to have meaningful objectives that are better achieved by playing smart and quiet. It would be a shame for such a detailed world to be just a backdrop for formulaic shootout gameplay.

Combat should be the result of error in using the rich and interactive environment to your advantage. The less scripted and obvious this game's mechanics are, the more genuine the spontaneity of combat will be.

Agree 100%.

Shredderi

If the city is truly open and you can travel it seamlessly then I'm hyped! The level of detail in the environments is stunning and makes it look believable. I love the map.

quickwhips

Game looks alot of fun. Gameplay is most important thing but even if it downgrades it will be fine as long as gameplay stays.

Top Bottom