• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Double Toasted team AKA the best film reviewers out there

My fear for Guardians of the Galaxy is that it's just going to be, "People loved the first movie so let's just do the exact same thing again." I'm not sure if their review confirmed my fears or not; It sounds like it's more of the same but escalated?

My fear for Guardians of the Galaxy is that it's just going to be, "People loved the first movie so let's just do the exact same thing again." I'm not sure if their review confirmed my fears or not; It sounds like it's more of the same but escalated?

I can only speak for myself but that's more or less how it is. It's a Rush Hour 1 to Rush Hour 2 type sequel.

This is pretty spot on. If you loved the first one, you'll probably just like the second one because it somewhat feels like you've seen it before. It still has everything you dug from the first movie, only you've seen it already.

Drax, Yondu, and Mantis are the real standouts.

caliph95

This is pretty spot on. If you loved the first one, you'll probably just like the second one because it somewhat feels like you've seen it before. It still has everything you dug from the first movie, only you've seen it already.

Drax, Yondu, and Mantis are the real standouts.
So it's a typical competent sequel from what i heard

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What did they say about it? I won't be able to watch the video for a few hours.

Cast looks good, but aspects of it look too boilerplate. They acknowledge things are part of the source material, but the marketing makes it look like your typical "save the world" plot.

I loved Rush Hour 2. Really didn't enjoy 3. But aside from a few jokes that fell flat, my entire family loved it. :)

I liked Rush Hour 2, and GotG2 to an extent, too. It's just they both felt like declines from the previous entries and coasted on what worked before.

Getting around to listening to their review, surprised I'm agreeing with Martin and Goodwin as much as I am. Nodding when Goodwin brought up Pratt's try at dramatic acting...yeah, not great. Really liked Pratt in the first movie, but he honestly seemed bored in vol2.

I liked Rush Hour 2, and GotG2 to an extent, too. It's just they both felt like declines from the previous entries and coasted on what worked before.

Getting around to listening to their review, surprised I'm agreeing with Martin and Goodwin as much as I am. Nodding when Goodwin brought up Pratt's try at dramatic acting...yeah, not great. Really liked Pratt in the first movie, but he honestly seemed bored in vol2.
Rush Hour 2 felt like an improvement almost across the board though. Improved fish out of water scenario with Chris Tucker in Hong Kong, several better / longer Jackie Chan action sequences, better pacing, a better final set piece and "stunt," bringing in Roselyn Sanchez and Zhang Ziyi, and that wonderful cameo by Don Cheadle. :)

I wish they hadn't messed up as much as they did with Rush Hour 3....

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I gotta agree with the majority of the group towards Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Especially Goodwin and Martin, where it just barely squeaks by getting bumped up a notch. Watching the third act I just kept wishing it would scale itself back. Something I know I'll be saying all summer...

Rush Hour 2 felt like an improvement almost across the board though. Improved fish out of water scenario with Chris Tucker in Hong Kong, several better / longer Jackie Chan action sequences, better pacing, a better final set piece and "stunt," bringing in Roselyn Sanchez and Zhang Ziyi, and that wonderful cameo by Don Cheadle. :)

I wish they hadn't messed up as much as they did with Rush Hour 3....

I barely, and I mean barely, remember Rush Hour 3 at all. I can tell you Hiroyuki Sanada is in and it's set in Paris...that's about it.

caliph95

THE MANDELA EFFECT, CONSPIRACY THEORIES, CERN, & ROCKS - Toast to Toast (05/05/2017)

Oh hey a new double oasted video and conspiracies, man this going to be a fun video of Korey and pals ripping these conspiracies.

*clicks video sees will punchable face*
IgMyx.gif

Grizzlyjin

That gif was my exact reaction. I had went and made a snack, grabbed a beer, and was ready for some DT foolishness. Then I saw Will and went back to my subscription box for an alternative. lol

Grizzlyjin

Hm. It looks the video might have been removed.

Wonder why. Nothing controversial or anything. I think the criticisms of the show might be getting to him cause that's what it spends 50% of the time dealing with. It's either "Y'all don't get it" sketches or alluding to it in the opening segments. No, I get it. I just don't find any of it very funny.

The one sketch he did at the beginning was kinda weird cause it lampooned the idea of starting a podcast and being an internet contrarian. It mentioned not liking Rogue One, thinking Batman v Superman is actually a masterpiece, and that Marvel films have a formula. What didn't work for me is that it had a smarmy tone, which really doesn't work when you're making fun of yourself...unless he was talking about other people? THAT I didn't get lol

LewieP

I don't know what you guys are talking about with a removed video. I was keeping an eye on youtube all day, and I never saw any videos posted.

Lach

Just caught the Alien and Aliens episode of "Sammy ain't seen sh*t". That moment where Sammy talks about how he thought how awesome of a character he thought Vasquez is (strong Latina woman soldier) only to find out that she was played by a jewish white lady. And then being confused on if he should be offended or not.

On "Toast to Toast". I watched all of them, but they really are not very good. I want to like it but compared to the other DT content it lacks charisma. The comments are really (and overly) harsh, but that is partly Wills fault for challenging them.

The thing is, you can be a contrarian if people respect your opinions generally. Like, everybody makes fun of Martin for thinking Spiderman 3 is good and disagree with him, but he can actually articulate his reasoning and it isn't totally insane. Or when the Korey's both liked the Resident Evil move, but didn't try to argue it was a great piece of art.

When you're basically two steps from being Armond White, it's not entertaining anymore.

mreddie

The thing is, you can be a contrarian if people respect your opinions generally. Like, everybody makes fun of Martin for thinking Spiderman 3 is good and disagree with him, but he can actually articulate his reasoning and it isn't totally insane. Or when the Korey's both liked the Resident Evil move, but didn't try to argue it was a great piece of art.

Funny enough, that subject was part of tonight Sunday Service.

"What up, Son?!" finally cancelled.
Posted on May 9, 2017 by Double Toasted

I apologize for not posting the show. If you paid for it individually outside of a subscription please let me know. The reason it isn't posted is because I simply don't feel it's up to the standard in quality I want for our programs. Oz and I do this show on Skype, which causes a lag in our response time to each other. This causes our timing, humor, and delivery to be off as we struggle not to talk over on another. It's extremely frustrating but we wanted to try our best to bring you some content for Monday nights. However, with no solution in sight we will not be doing this show anymore. I will now use Mondays to concentrate on other content, such as animation. In the meantime I am currently looking for something to fill the Monday slot that won't infringe on other people's already busy schedule. If Oz and I do find something down the line that captures our true chemistry we will try again. Thank you for your feedback and support. For refunds please email me at kcoolmanz@gnail.com.

Grizzlyjin

Aww that sucks. Oz is a fun guy to listen to, him and Korey had great on air chemistry. Maybe instead of Skype just have Korey and someone else in the studio, and then Oz call in? Other shows do that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked it too. Didn't mind the lower quality sound, but I can see how that would bother Korey in the long run.

The only issue I had is that usually Oz's voice would only come out of my right earphone, and I'd have to put my phone on mono for the soundcloud version of the episodes. That happens when Korey plays videos too, but it's not as bothersome than during a full conversation.

Sai

Too bad, thought they had something going with the foolish five.

Hope they'll be able to bring Oz on for something else later.

Bulzeeb

well I tried watching the Guardians of the galaxy review and that ema watson movie review, couldn't find the appeal, I guess I was waiting for something more condensed and less long I guess, there might also be some of the cultural differences from me not being in the U.S that I dont find this that appealing

Give it 6 months to a year. Peeps on GAF are gonna love this movie.

Even though I hated the trailers and am no Ritchie fan, the reviews kinda tell me that I might enjoy this movie. I don't know, I think I just want to see Jude Law ham it up as an evil medieval prick, lol. I'll wait for the home release though.

Davidion

Just realized last night that these guys don't have a lot of subscribers. What a shame; I dig their whole setup.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the length of their reviews.

Top Bottom