• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The dynamic racing line and "Press Y to rewind" - are they dead?

Zafir

I don't see the problem of still including them if they're optional. As far as I've seen they don't affect people going for the top leader board spots, nor do they affect multiplayer.

It introduces more people into the genre, and maybe eventually they'll feel comfortable enough to slowly ween them selves off the crutches and get into the game at a deeper level.

Upinsmoke

Both are horrible features. I mean the racing line is so damn off-putting it ruins the immersion and since I tend to play f1 games you have a natural racing line anyway.

The rewind function is the fucking devil but it kind of sums up games in general. I get that games have to be accessible and therefor difficulty is lowered and also less punishable but if when I was younger if I found a game too hard is keep going until I mastered it or I'd quit and say fuck it or wait till I'm older to understand the mechanics better.

Racing games are the worst for this though, brake assist,steering assist, rewind, racing line. These things shouldn't exist.

Lothars

More options and being more "accessible" are not automatically good things. I think these two options are actually doing newcomers a disservice more than anything for reasons I already stated earlier in the thread.
Yes and I think you are wrong. It's all opinions though.

Both are horrible features. I mean the racing line is so damn off-putting it ruins the immersion and since I tend to play f1 games you have a natural racing line anyway.

The rewind function is the fucking devil but it kind of sums up games in general. I get that games have to be accessible and therefor difficulty is lowered and also less punishable but if when I was younger if I found a game too hard is keep going until I mastered it or I'd quit and say fuck it or wait till I'm older to understand the mechanics better.

Racing games are the worst for this though, brake assist,steering assist, rewind, racing line. These things shouldn't exist.
smh, They absolutely should exist with being optional for players can turn them off.

Jackpot

Banned
Rewind should be mandatory for all racing games. To send a whole race down the toilet because of 1 flubbed corner is maddening design. It'd be like if FPSs forbade all in-mission checkpoints.

Smax

First thing I do with a new racing game is disable these things. Rewind and racing lines exist for players who don't like racing games yet somehow chose to play them for some reason.

Unfortunately, there are some games that seem to be designed to be played with these things on. I'm talking about Forza Horizon 3 for example, whose A.I. is so ridiculously broken to the point I feel maybe they want me to turn them on. I choose not to and end up repeating some events five times...

fresquito

What features were taken out because of rewind and lines?
How should I know? Of course these take man hours to include.

It's fine if the developers don't want it in their game. I'm talking about its inclusion in general. The sentiment around it has been around before this thread and it's baffling.
Because they are not good for newcomers. These features are contraproductive and work against the interest of the players that are willing to learn the game. They may sound like a good stepping stone, but they are not. They create a dependency that works against them in the long run.

So, are we discussing whether these should be included to help newcomers or to cater to people that don't care about racing but feel like playing a racing game from time to time? If it's the former, they should not be included and should be substitued by useful tools, such as a good academy and extensive tutorials that are both clear and engaging. If we are talking the latter, then why we don't also add optional guns on top of the cars just in case someone can have fun with them? Options are good, aren't they?

pr0cs

Don't like lines or rewind then don't use them. Personally I've seen too many people (non-gamers, Casuals,etc) play and enjoy racing games because the feeling of still making progress. Nothing kills peoples fun faster than the sense there is no way for them to ever catch up.

The elitist attitude of "I don't like it so it shouldn't exist" is really stupid

Don't like lines or rewind then don't use them. Personally I've seen too many people (non-gamers, Casuals,etc) play and enjoy racing games because the feeling of still making progress. Nothing kills peoples fun faster than the sense there is no way for them to ever catch up.

The elitist attitude of "I don't like it so it shouldn't exist" is really stupid

Again, to reiterate: the points made by OP are valid. Unfortunately, it's caught up in subsequent elitist attitudes that are pretty much par for the course in the sim racing community.

m00h

Banned
I just installed Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed yesterday, and in comparison to most of the racing games I have been playing for the last 15 years, it just feels so challenging and satisfying at the same time. The game becomes very challenging after you're through 50 % of the story mode, and a single mistake can (and probably will) make you lose the race. So you slowly work your way up, learning every single curve of a track and seek for the perfect tempo for that curve. Perfect sim-cade in my opinion.

Smax

I just installed Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed yesterday, and in comparison to most of the racing games I have been playing for the last 15 years, it just feels so challenging and satisfying at the same time. The game becomes very challenging after you're through 50 % of the story mode, and a single mistake can (and probably will) make you lose the race. So you slowly work your way up, learning every single curve of a track and seek for the perfect tempo for that curve. Perfect sim-cade in my opinion.

Try Driveclub and getting all gold in the DLC tours. No lines, no rewinds, no mistakes allowed. Just race till you get it right. Sublime.

GHG

Yes and I think you are wrong. It's all opinions though.

These things are removing a large part the education process from learning the nuances of racing games and large parts of driving in itself.

If your only aim is to get people "playing" your game then that's fine but if you want to retain those individuals and actually provide them with a platform from which they can then go and explore other racing games and/or even racing in real life then it's highly unlikely that will happen.

These games are now more accessible than ever, even laughably so, but sales continue to decline. I can't say I'm surprised considering the way that new players are introduced to these games now. In order to maintain people's interest long term you need to provide meaning and enable understanding in a lot of cases. You won't get either for your actions in these games if you are using the driving line and rewind all the time.

Like, some of the opinions in this thread are valid, but once more, it is utterly drenched in a sort of elitist nature that makes it seem like 'those damn plebs ruin everything'

GHG and TylerDurden, what is wrong with the simple idea of having rewind and racing lines as an option? With cash or XP rewards as an incentive to ween off them? AKA what we have in place now with Forza, GRID, etc?

zorbsie

Love both these features. I don't see why people hate it so much. It's not like people are using rewind in online races. lol If I'm playing my single player career what difference does it make that I used rewind once with braking lines on? Maybe we should take pausing the game out too. For immersions sake.

def sim

Because they are not good for newcomers. These features are contraproductive and work against the interest of the players that are willing to learn the game. They may sound like a good stepping stone, but they are not. They create a dependency that works against them in the long run.

I don't believe driving lines have no benefit to new players and the rewind feature is a quality of life feature. Any player that is serious about a racing video game would not use it. If they want to learn the game the old fashioned way, driving lines and rewind often can be turned off globally in the options menu.

So, are we discussing whether these should be included to help newcomers or to cater to people that don't care about racing but feel like playing a racing game from time to time? If it's the former, they should not be included and should be substitued by useful tools, such as a good academy and extensive tutorials that are both clear and engaging. If we are talking the latter, then why we don't also add optional guns on top of the cars just in case someone can have fun with them? Options are good, aren't they?

If the developers want to give players guns in their extremely peculiar driving sim, then fine. I'm certainly not going to go around and lecture them or their players on the sanctity of racing. It's their vision.

It does though, in both. Leaderboard times more often than not include the times of those who use rewind.

And you see the pile ups that occur in racing online? That's because people haven't actually learnt the track before hopping online, hence they are all fighting for the exact same space as they mindlessly follow the line around the track.

I'm all for introducing new players to games, but this is not the way to do it. There was a reason Gran Turismo games had the compulsory licence tests, it was a more organic way of teaching people the basic principles of how to get a car around the track in the most efficient way.

Having easy modes that are arguably cheats is not the way to go about it. Nobody is getting taught anything. Nobody is understanding why they should be braking when they are braking, nobody is understanding why they hit the apex on one corner but deliberately miss it on the next to get the fastest time, nobody is understanding why their car is over/under steering and how to rectify it, nobody is understanding how and when they should and shouldn't be overtaking an opponent. Nobody is getting the rush and adrenaline that nailing all of these aspects in a single race can provide.

It's a problem.

While I can appreciate your zeal for proper racing technique you aren't really getting what the issue is. Casual players, younger players, etc want to feel rewarded while playing a game they probably have no interest in mastering. There's no understanding of the issues you posted because there's no desire to. People just want to have a good time and rewind/racing lines provide it. You don't like it turn it off. People in general don't know how to properly race and you're gonna get the first corner rammers. Nothing's gonna change it and it's existed since the dawn of online racing games and isn't ever going away. If you don't like it choose who you play with and stop racing randoms. I find the racing elitist attitudes some have just as annoying as the randos who seem intent on using you to bounce corners or ride the rails.

I'm all for lines and rewind. Let people have fun. Don't like it? Turn it off. Some of these replies are pretty obnoxious.

Lothars

These things are removing a large part the education process from learning the nuances of racing games and large parts of driving in itself.

These games are now more accessible than ever, even laughably so, but sales continue to decline. I can't say I'm surprised considering the way that new players are introduced to these games now. In order to maintain people's interest long term you need to provide meaning and enable understanding in a lot of cases. You won't get either for your actions in these games if you are using the driving line and rewind all the time.
I would like to see proof of that since we have had threads talking about sales of racing games and that most racing games have had pretty good sales.

Yes we don't have a GT game yet this generation though I am sure it will sell great but but all the other ones seem to have sold well.

I just don't agree that those features are that deremential especially when they are optional.

I'm all for lines and rewind. Let people have fun. Don't like it? Turn it off. Some of these replies are pretty obnoxious.

Exactly. FWIW, I have played sim racing games all my life, but I can understand people using driving lines and rewind. I myself even use rewind, because as stated upthread, I don't like my progress being wiped out because of one bad mistake. So should I be tarred and feathered by a community that seems to take great pride in doing that? Hell no.

That is one of the most infuriating aspects of the sim racing community that needs to be eradicated. The sort of sneering attitude those who have been in it for any length of time have to those just starting out, or are casual players.

The new GTS system could be a middle step. You see more of the track, remember the track better and might sooner be willing to turn that aid off as well.

This is their goal with it. They noted they feel a big issue with driving lines is that people just turn it on and drive over it without ever really learning the track. The hope with the markers is that eventually people will be able to just turn them off because they've learned when to brake and get on the gas on their own. Of course only time will tell if that works out.

shandy706

Rewind is the dumbest feature ever added to a racing game.

I'm fine with optional lines, but rewinds are just ridiculous.

They're equal. Both allow learning and avoiding screw ups.

Both are great for beginners and casual racers. Both can be switched off.

What's ridiculous is acting like one option in some games is okay but another option in some games, you can also switch off, isn't okay. ;)

Metfanant

No problem with either of them...It doesn't have any effect on my experience whether someone else decides they would rather use a racing line, or rewind feature to enjoy the game...

Not everyone that enjoys cars or racing games is either A. Very good, or B. Has the time to master tracks...

If they find enjoyment in the game using those features, who am I to tell them they are wrong?

In short: elitist bullshit

Same thing for all the "no traction control/abs" crap, even when the fastest cars in the world operate with all sorts of electronic aides that can't be turned off...Or those that think for a sim to be "realistic" cars need to drive like they are on ice at all times, when in reality...There are lots of VERY fast cars that are relatively easy to drive fast...

Like, some of the opinions in this thread are valid, but once more, it is utterly drenched in a sort of elitist nature that makes it seem like 'those damn plebs ruin everything'

GHG and TylerDurden, what is wrong with the simple idea of having rewind and racing lines as an option? With cash or XP rewards as an incentive to ween off them? AKA what we have in place now with Forza, GRID, etc?

I'm kinda (..?!) pro racing line...?
There are layers of racing you miss by just following the racing line: Learning to read the track, trying to maximize the cornering radius or or reading compound radius corners as 2 turns, knowing when to go for a late apex etc.
Edit: And it's joy to figure these speed secrets out or even getting them tought and suddenly they click and you understand why. You probably miss out in a big part on what makes racing and especially hotlapping enjoyable.

That you lose the tension in longer races with rewind should be something that all players can decide for themselves, but that some people will probably never experience the underlying layers of vehicle dynamics and track reading is sad in my opinion, that's why I just want better incentives for newcomers to make the step away from the driving line to lets say a system like in GTS that shows you a marker for a braking point and where the apex of the corner is and after that again more incentive to turn even that off.

And a racing school like in pCARS 2, Dirt 4 and the Gran Turismo games is great alongside that, but those should be better, they should teach you stuff that you are (according to telemetry) not good at or that are interesting for the current track or car that you chose to drive.

m00h

Banned
Try Driveclub and getting all gold in the DLC tours. No lines, no rewinds, no mistakes allowed. Just race till you get it right. Sublime.

As far as I get a PS4 somewhere in the future, Driveclub will be one of the first games I'll get for it. Looks like exactly the mix I need to feel challenged and have fun at the same time.

bman94

I like the use of rewind. Sometimes the AI completely fucks you over by crashing into you and that screws up any chances you had of winning the race.

TwiztidElf

It was while playing Driveclub, which has no line or rewind, that it occurred to me how much I had come to hate those 'features'.

I think it sucks the fun out of driving games and makes them QTE games.

Sure it's optional, but I suspect it also encourages devs to not put as much effort into designing the tracks and player views properly, as I find driving games that DON'T have these features usually have better cues or player hints. You have to learn your own braking points and apexes, just like a real driver would.

Qwyjibo

Why do people have such a problem with rewind for games like Forza Horizon 3? I agree that it's silly for straight racing games. But in FH3, I seem to spend very little time actually racing. I love exploring and doing all the challenges. For an open-world driving game, the rewind feature makes sense. Especially how FH3 implements it.

TwiztidElf

It was while playing Driveclub, which has no line or rewind, that it occurred to me how much I had come to hate those 'features'.

I think it sucks the fun out of driving games and makes them QTE games.

Sure it's optional, but I suspect it also encourages devs rely on it being there and to not put as much effort into designing the tracks and player views properly, as I find driving games that DON'T have these features usually have better cues or player hints. You have to learn your own braking points and apexes, just like a real driver would.

GHG

Because I'm of the belief that these are not the best features to introduce new players into the world of racing games and teach them how to actually get a car around a track quickly and efficiently. Players should be understanding why they are doing certain things, not just blindly following a line and rewinding when they screw up and then turning the line off once they have memorised it. Do you know why? Because as soon as they go to a new track they will have to go through that whole process again when it needn't be the case.

If new players are educated appropriately and given a test track where they can learn how to tackle various corner types (chicanes, hairpins, increasing/decreasing radius', etc), learn how to deal with elevation changes, learn how to deal with under/oversteer during transition phases, learn how to spot openings for overtaking, etc, etc then it means that when they encounter a new track they will have all the tools necessary to be able to take it on and not only get round it cleanly within a few laps, but get round it quickly.

Love both these features. I don't see why people hate it so much. It's not like people are using rewind in online races. lol If I'm playing my single player career what difference does it make that I used rewind once with braking lines on? Maybe we should take pausing the game out too. For immersions sake.

Heh, I take it you never played this game then!:

Test_Drive_Le_Mans_Coverart.png

There was a hardcore simulation mode. Full damage, fuel/tire wear, 24 car grid, full real 24 hours, variable weather/time of day and most importantly... no pause but you can save progress at pit stops.

All on dreamcast/ps1 hardware. It was some seriously impressive stuff for the time.

I can't stand them personally. I have never seen anyone get better at a game with the rewind feature but have seen people learn the basics of racing due to the racing line so for that I have zero issues with it as an option, the problem they are often forced down your throat, it makes more sense for people to turn them on rather than turn them off which is the opposite of how they are usually done and frequently have to do the initial dross with them.

However as long as I don't have to see them at all I don't care if others want to use them, I think one of the reasons Forza 3 helped develop a following was because it was far more approachable and accessible than many that came before and allowed an easier route for people to see what is great about racing games (it was also a great game as well).

psychotron

I can only speak for whom I have talked to on the channel as I have done a couple random vids and discussions about this since I review so many racing games.

But most of the folks I talked to expressed that without racing lines they wouldn't have entered into the racing genre at all and then graduated to turning them off in the options.

For me its more important to keep having an influx of new gamers every day who feel like they can at least attempt something and then turn those options off when they get better, than to close them out entirely. It was only like 150 folks but it was pretty unanimous.

I agree with this. I like having it there and then stepping up to not using it. Definitely best to have it as an option for those who only play for casual fun.

rjc571

Banned
If you're going to put in a rewind feature you might as well go one step further and let you press a button to allow the AI take over for you entirely.

zorbsie

Heh, I take it you never played this game then!:

Test_Drive_Le_Mans_Coverart.png

There was a hardcore simulation mode. Full damage, fuel/tire wear, 24 car grid, full real 24 hours, variable weather/time of day and most importantly... no pause but you can save progress at pit stops.

All on dreamcast/ps1 hardware. It was some seriously impressive stuff for the time.

Actually I owned it. :) Doesn't change my stance on the two features. Love them and want them in every racer.

Mohasus

I'm all for making racing games more accessible, but rewind isn't the way to do it.

Is it coincidence that the biggest racing franchises don't have rewind? GT, NFS and Mario Kart.

Can you imagine souls games, or Bloodborne with rewind?

Rewind should die in a fire.

We had this comparison before.
I think the Souls game wouldn't be as successful as they are, if you could miss out on the "mastery of the game mechanics", but also... I don't have the time and patience to play a section over and over again with the same caution and attention. Those game's aren't for me that's ok. But I could enjoy them (not to the fullest as the real Souls players, but somewhat), if they had an easy mode. It's just the problem that everyone would just turn to easy way too soon and much more people would miss out on the real experience. Right now, I'm not buying those games (bought Demon's Souls and played part of Dark Souls, stopped after that).

DiRT Rally was ok with limiting their player base and being for the hardcore, but the bigger titles can't afford that. There aren't 3 million gamers who want to bang their head against a no-frills racing sim. And the ones that do deserve some features to ease them in and help them learning (not meaning driving-line, but racing school or a curated track/car/ai experience/campaign).

I'm all for making racing games more accessible, but rewind isn't the way to do it.

Is it coincidence that the biggest racing franchises don't have rewind? GT, NFS and Mario Kart.
Forza is bigger than NFS at this point and Mario Kart doesn't need it, it has rubberbanding and the power ups make up for more time than proper racing technique unless you are talking about time trial.

shandy706

If you're going to put in a rewind feature you might as well go one step further and let you press a button to allow the AI take over for you entirely.

There's more than one racing game that lets you train AI to race for you. Also that's not even remotely the same. You still have to drive the car after you reset. If you don't learn from it then you'll just be rewinding over and over.

I find it funny how many people hate options in games. Developers do not need to listen to you people. Give us all as many options as possible. Pile them on and let each individual take them off as they see fit.

Hating something that is only an option in a game is hilarious. Lets go ahead and add one shot deaths in all shooters (3rd and first person), while removing any other difficulties. All sports games will have Superstar / All-Pro settings only from now on. :p

Game sales would tank overnight.

Edit* LOL at the person that said developers would put more work into the design of their tracks if they didn't use racing lines. So they're going to put more work into laser scanned tracks that exist in real life? Another option is using Flags or markers, however that's just another good option. All options are good. The more the better.

and respect your opponents..
They sure as hell won't respect you, or keep a human like pace through the bends. Meaning they will often slam into the back of you and punt you off. Or jump on the brakes way too hard at unexpected times causing you to slam into the back of them.

Forza has them both and does it absolutely right.

They're completely optional, and disabling them provides you greater rewards when completing a race.

Their existence as optional settings doesn't harm my experience one iota, as long as I can disable them and run races online with them disabled.

And for someone very new to the genre they can help to learn the basics - hitting the apexes in S turns, learning a track's braking zones, etc. But I'd advise anybody who wants to go beyond the basics to turn those features off as soon as they can, because at a certain point relying upon those aids keeps you from developing solid technique. Slavishly following the line isn't the way to go - its a good baseline, but you need to know when to ignore it and go your own way.

Now if a dev specifically wants to make their game without these kinds of aids, that's perfectly fine too.

I like Driveclub flags.

There are a lot of tracks, it's hard to remember every line and curve. The flags just show the level of degree (green, yellow or red)

That is more than enough to beat lots of noobs online for me.

Pretty sure that the racing genre has been and currently still might be contracting in overall sales resulting in today's much smaller representation of varied entries as compared with the past. So, optional features aiding less experienced and not-so hardcore players help a number of people to buy in, thus helping to ensure further games are made in an otherwise declining genre. Reading some of these posts makes me think that far too much is presumed about how people use these tools in order to make their own personal dislike seem like an objective criticism. They can be crutched on, sure, but a person's path to competence and enjoyment really shouldn't concern other people. We're all paying for our own copies here, so who cares what someone else thinks is the optimal way to play is. These are options and I haven't seen one convincing argument that the game is ruined because it's there. AI being bad seems to just as prevalent in games that don't build these optional tools in, and most if not all that do incentivize turning them off in addition to offering to inform the player about best practices that lead the player to dial them back according to their comfort level, reasonably addressing the potential for overreliance upon them.

PeterGAF

Banned
Can you imagine souls games, or Bloodborne with rewind?

Rewind should die in a fire.

because comparing an action game to a racing game is a good idea, right?

just because a mechanic wouldn't work in one type of game doesn't mean it shouldn't belong in another, smart one.

Shaneus

This is super important in my opinion.

a) having only car-assists is not enough for newcomers to the sim and sim-cade genres, unless those include brake and steering assists, but at that point you usually feel like you are no longer really in control. The racing line isn't really different from that, but it feels like you are controlling the car.

b) it implies that people want to turn that aid off... I'm not really sure they do. There is not enough incentive in games like Forza Motorsport 6 and GT6 to turn the driving line off.
There is a fear to turn it off, that some extra credits are not enough to overcome it. There should be a system in between ON and OFF ("braking only" is still ON imo).

The new GTS system could be a middle step. You see more of the track, remember the track better and might sooner be willing to turn that aid off as well.
Basically, the solution would be that for any driving games that have any kind of levelling up/progression system in place, would be to force the driving lines (and rewind, if available) options off after a certain point.

Synth

It good to have options. The people that are vehemently against them are generally just elitists that feel that because they've put the effort into mastering the genre, everyone else should have to go through baptism by fire before they're allowed to have fun with their $60 purchase. It's very similar to the line of thought adopted by those that tell people disappointed with the lack of singleplayer content in Street Fighter V, that they should just man up and learn to win online, because the AI doesn't teach you to play properly anyway... newsflash, some people aren't here to get good and compete. They just want to have some fun, and don't want to spend the first few tens of hours earning it.

It's not much of a coincidence that 3 franchises that became huge before the option existed remained huge, no. Especially considering rewind isn't actually a very common feature in racers in general. It's not like those 3 IP are unique in that regards. Is it coincidence that pretty much all of the racing genres biggest failures don't have rewind? Hmm...

because comparing an action game to a racing game is a good idea, right?

just because a mechanic wouldn't work in one type of game doesn't mean it shouldn't belong in another, smart one.

Except it would work in that type of game anyway. If you play a Souls game for the challenge, then you'd just play with it off. It would allow a bunch of people that would have possibly enjoyed the games if they weren't just too bad at them in order to progress to actually do so. This again is a case of people feeling like more people simply being able to see the game through to the end devalues the credibility they perceive themselves as having for beating it without the help.

i go back and fourth with it.

i like horizon 3's approach. if i want them on its on if i want them off i get a bonus
Yeah, Horizon 3 approaches it as a natural sliding scale. They're available, but lightly punished.

If you're not someone that regularly plays racing games, those small optional features go a huge way to improving the experience.

I like the option of racing lines in separate modes, especially a solo training mode of some sort, or like in the classic License tests in GT.

I do admit the new GT Sport markers look nice.

I liked Driveclub simple colour coded corner walls, too. It was surprisingly accurate...

I'm not sure if it was a global standard (e.g. the medium color was always X speed, or if the medium colour just meant medium slow down based on your expected speed... e.g. the medium colour on 1 corner could mean, you're going 150 so slow down to 100, but on another corner the same colour could be used, but it would expect you're going 90, so slow down to 60). Or did it just always mean, e.g. red = 30-50? global standard.

either way, it worked really well and I rarely went into a corner and got surprised.

conman

Rewind and the racing line are imperfect solutions to a larger problem in racing game design: blending sim-style racing with arcade-style mechanics.

That's why you don't see often those features in arcade racers (like Mario Kart and whatnot). You see them in hybrid racers (Forza) and in some more sim-like racers (including the surprisingly excellent F1 2016). I liked the more reserved use of the driving line in older Gran Turismo games where the driving line was used in the license tests as a training tool rather than an in-race crutch. But maybe with Codemasters sticking to their guns with Dirt Rally and expecting more of players, we'll see more racing games forego those design crutches.

In other words, Dirt Rally is the Dark Souls of racing games.

Top Bottom