• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim... coming to PS4 and Xbox One? (Bethesda: Nope)

With that font it would be some pretty evil trolling if this turns out to just a skyrim port for PS4/xbox.

Please be a new fallout game.

With the DLCs and upgraded visuals and performance, I would play this regardless, but the difference between a rent and a buy would be the inclusion of some actual revisions.

Incorporating some of the easy stuff mods have fixed and changed without compromising the design, making cities part of the greater world without load times or barriers at their gates (one of my favorite mods), clear windows like another Gaffer suggested (unless that would screw up interior lighting and such), and maybe even mimicking some of the work ENBs have done--making dark areas darker and adding some really interesting filters to the visuals.

Idk, they could shit one out at 1080p, but it's been over two years, they need to make this Skyrim 1.5 to really make it worth it.

Gleethor

1080p on ps4 with at least an unwavering 30fps plus hi res textures and I'm in. Who am I kidding I would be in anyway.

Cincaid

Is the Polish website the only one who got that e-mail? Also, a bit weird Bethesda sent it from their store address? I'm just trying to be skeptical, considering how long I've waited for a Fallout 4 reveal. :D

If this is a real announcement I think it's just to announce PS4 / XONE versions of Skyrim, even if the font in the e-mail screams Fallout. It feels a bit too 'small' and off the radar for something big as Fallout 4. But who knows, maybe the Polish website just got it early, and we'll hear more from more well-known websites soon.

Edit: Just noticed that people (on Reddit) claim they got the e-mail as well, so maybe the e-mail isn't fake at least. Still, feels a bit too small (for now) for an announcement of a new game.

RaikuHebi

Banned
This was terrible on PS3, I didn't play it for very long at all only until after the first dragon. So it would be nice to give it another go.

dreamfall

I figure it might be nice to have, but after playing it for awhile on the PC I don't know if I can go back to a controller!

belmonkey

With the PS4 hardware, 1080p 60 FPS might be doable with a little AA, although maybe it should be locked to 30 to completely avoid stuttering and crank AA higher, and do something to upgrade the textures.

I can dream, but I might not mind seeing a redone 64-bit version of Skyrim that carries over to PC, so there's no more RAM limits and mods could have more room to expand the game.

Jack cw

With the PS4 hardware, 1080p 60 FPS might be doable with a little AA, although maybe it should be locked to 30 to completely avoid stuttering and crank AA higher, and do something to upgrade the textures.

I can dream, but I might not mind seeing a redone 64-bit version of Skyrim that carries over to PC, so there's no more RAM limits and mods could have more room to expand the game.

Vanilla Skyrim ran in 1080p with 4xAA and 60 fps even with a simple gtx 560. I think its pretty safe to say that a PS4 version, should be able to achieve this rather easily.

Although I went to Skyrim a handful of times; I never really got to enjoy it to its fullest capacity because I used to be stupid and go with my friends on COD in the middle of playing so I never got to spend time on the story. Now I ditched them and only play games I want to play, I would love to play this on PS4...hopefully!

belmonkey

Vanilla Skyrim ran in 1080p with 4xAA and 60 fps even with a simple gtx 560. I think its pretty safe to say that a PS4 version, should be able to achieve this rather easily.

Personally, I think they should add a little bit more than vanilla, but I think even my mate's 4-year old 5830 handled Ultra pretty well at ~60 FPS. I think they could at least add (updated) high-res textures or increase draw distance.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
They better wine and dine me if they want me to pay another 60 bucks for the same game. I even have all the DLC.

Jack cw

Personally, I think they should add a little bit more than vanilla, but I think even my mate's 4-year old 5830 handled Ultra pretty well at ~60 FPS. I think they could at least add (updated) high-res textures or increase draw distance.

Yeah, those have to be in, otherwise it would look like a bit sharper last gen version. I'm pretty sure they bumped up the engine, so it should look significantly better.

Atlas157

What? Every time I try to play Skyrim on my GTX 570 at 1080p with 4xAA I'm always around 30 to 40 fps.

ReaperXL7

Im not sure that this is Skyrim, or Fallout related (partially as I dont want to get my hopes up). Im going to guess that its a new preview for everyones most anticipated Elder Scrolls online, maybe some new screenshots.

It is weird that they would just randomly add PS4/Xbone to the supported platforms page though so you never know.

Maybe it could end up being a Fallout/Skyrim double pack deal like what happened with a few other games this gen.

RulkezX

Having played this on a 7970 with HD texture packs and a ton of graphical mods , it wasn't impressive enough that graphics alone would make people want to double dip imho.

And why the fuck are people so open to ports of last gen games in the new consoles , especially multi format games like Skyrim ?

Number45

Well I managed to resist the urge to pick up the PS3 version and it looks as though I might be rewarded. I'll still never day one a Bethesda game again though, I'll rather wait for broad gamer impressions before taking the plunge.

Honestly another train wreck like Skyrim PS3 and I may just stop paying attention to Bethesda games entirely.

I bet if it released on PS4 it would still have its share of glitches and problems. Not as bad as the PS3 Betheseda games but this is Betheseda we are talking about.

Can't believe Sony still loves them after all the crappy unoptimized ports Betheseda has given to the PS3. The PS4 commercial with Elder Scrolls online could have been used for a real playstation game like infamous. Hell I would have preferred Watch_dogs as thats more aligned with Playstation than any elder scrolls title will ever be.

So good, it needs to be quoted.

The stink of the giant steaming shit that Bethesda left on the PlayStation brand still lingers.

That debacle should never be forgotten.

Jack cw

What? Every time I try to play Skyrim on my GTX 570 at 1080p with 4xAA I'm always around 30 to 40 fps.

I had around 52-55 fps most of the time.
Skyrim-high.png

But I wouldnt mind if this was locked 30fps with mega textures and better drawdistance etc.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
No incentive for
.ps4
.xbox one

If
.the game doesn't support modding (user made mods/content, which can be shared)

Else
.the game will be the same

Number45

If
Not a chance.

You're ignoring the people that didn't play the game though, and those that enjoyed it enough that the opportunity to play it again on a new system (and with new trophies/achievements) appeals to them. It'll sell fine, assuming this is true.

belmonkey

If

With locked console hardware, there might not be too much to do without hurting performance of the game. Maybe item and quest mods would work, but things like ENB and texture mods would be better left to PC.

mitchman

Gold Member
Not sure I want to invest another 300+ hours into Skyrim. I know I will probably get it on PS4, but with mixed feelings I suspect.

Seanspeed

Banned
Could be your CPU.

That chart is everything absolutely on max, with both MSAAx4 *and* FXAA on. Shouldn't be too hard to turn FXAA off or MSAA down to x2, maybe bump a couple settings down from Ultra and even AF down to x8 if necessary to get a pretty damn comparable image quality at 60fps on consoles.

This obviously wont be wildly exciting, especially for people who have played it already, but it would still be cool. I know if I was still a console-only gamer, I would be all over this.

I *really, really* hope its 60fps, though. I think it'll show a lot of people how much of a difference that makes even for slower-paced RPG's.

EDIT: Then again, the next-gen CPU's might actually a limiting factor. I'm thinking there's a good chance it remains 30fps now, actually.

Danneee

I'll buy it if they took graphics and animations to a next gen level.
If it's just the same with higher res and less bugs I'm not interested. Or if it releases close to Witcher 3.

rataven

I'd buy this in a heartbeat on PS4, but I'd expect the issues present on the PS3 version to be fixed, and quite honestly, I don't trust Bethesda to do that.

Setting up Skyrim Mods for hours (actually days)

Try to run it

Game doesn't work, crashes

Fuck

I used to think like that before I got a pc. As long as you read the description of the mod it's so simple. It's unbelievably simple. A lot of mods are on steam workshop, which does everything for you.

I don't get how 1080p is enough of an improvement to justify rebuying the game. Yeah, it'll look better, but you won't notice it that much while playing.

So much promising titles are coming out this year. and some good games will be selling pretty bad because people spend 60$ for a tomb raider or skyrim, they already have...

Yeah, then blame the industry when good studios get insolvent...

Yeah isn't that fallout font?

Yeah, looks like it. Let the hype train leave the station!

A next-gen version of Skyrim would be... Kind of a waste of resources. I doubt it'd sell much.

Setting up Skyrim Mods for hours (actually days)

Try to run it

Game doesn't work, crashes

Fuck

It all depends on if you want to run mods, or stuff that completely turns Skyrim into a kawaii dragon dance party. The latter category will obviously cause more problems.

I've got 200 .esp files running with Skyrim now, and the game runs incredibly smooth.

curlycare

EDIT: Then again, the next-gen CPU's might actually a limiting factor. I'm thinking there's a good chance it remains 30fps now, actually.
This is what is worrying me also. I remember Creation Engine
gamebryo
isn't very optimized for multithreading, or am I mistaken?
If it was not multithreaded, I hope Bethesda does something about it and patches the PC version in the process.

Jack cw

So much promising titles are coming out this year. and some good games will be selling pretty bad because people spend 60$ for a tomb raider or skyrim, they already have...

Yeah, then blame the industry when good studios get insolvent...

We dont know what the price for a hypothetical Skyrim on next gen will be. And devs dont make the prices, but the publishers. Its a hard business but I am happy for every good game, even if I played it already. Skyrim was toghether with ME1 and Dark Souls my game of the generation.

This is what is worrying me also. I remember Creation Engine
gamebryo
isn't very optimized for multithreading, or am I mistaken?
If so, I hope Bethesda does something about it and patches the PC version in the process.

I think the Creation engine was better at it than its Gamebryo predecessor, but I could be mistaken.

Seanspeed

Banned
I used to think like that before I got a pc. As long as you read the description of the mod it's so simple. It's unbelievably simple. A lot of mods are on steam workshop, which does everything for you.

I don't get how 1080p is enough of an improvement to justify rebuying the game. Yeah, it'll look better, but you won't notice it that much while playing.
It depends on how you go about modding it. You can freelance it. You can do Steam Workshop. You can do the Nexus route.

I performed a moderately comprehensive mod addition to New Vegas using the Nexus mod manager and I'm pretty sure if I didn't have a great beginner's step-by-step guide in how to do it, I would have most definitely messed something up.

Anyways, I'm thinking that an XboxOne/PS4 version would largely be an attempt to take advantage of the early console game drought, assuming it comes out sometime relatively soon. It would be good for people who haven't played it, people who are diehard Elder Scrolls fans, but *also* good for people who just desperately need stuff to play.

Top Bottom