• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

Dan Yo

Banned
Wow at that music. I think I may have pumped my fist in the air a couple times while it played. Morrowind theme was a smart move.

EatChildren said:
Bethesda just arn't interested in making the kind of RPGs I enjoy.
Who is these days? Bioware is making action cinematic dating simulators. Obsidian is always following their lead. I think the only developers doing hardcore PCRPGs these days are European (Witcher, Two Worlds, Risen).

): If only Troika/Black Isle were still around.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
FunkyPajamas said:
Who is these days? Bioware is making action cinematic dating simulators. Obsidian is always following their lead. I think the only developers doing hardcore PCRPGs these days are European (Witcher, Two Worlds, Risen).

The latter was going to be my answer :lol. Stuff like The Witcher is more to my taste, as is Obsidia's work. Though I do love me some Mass Effect, even if it is the only BioWare IP I give a shit about anymore.

poisonelf

All they have to do with those kind of visuals, back story, music and animation is completely remove level scaling, remember the magical feeling of Morrowind's world exploration (unique, detailed locations, huge map), use combat akin to Demon's Souls (or Severance, Blade of Darkness but with more RP elements for those who remember it), and I'd be willing to pay a hefty monthly fee to forever play this game :D

Holy fuck that trailer got me totally pumped.
I didn't like Oblivion and I still put 200+ hours into that sumbitch.

If this game turns out half as good as Morrowind that's another 500+ hours of my life.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
WOW, just saw it for the first time and had to immediately watch it 5x in a row. It really looks better than I expected. The environment shots have me drooling.

FunkyPajamas said:

): If only Troika/Black Isle were still around.

Bethesda/Bioware/Obsidian would be all I need if it came to that. I have to take an energy drink every time I play witcher/two worlds 2/divinity 2 to stay awake.

To each his own though.

edit: I do need to play Risen though. Played about 5 minutes when I built my computer and haven't gone back yet.

SO glad they upgraded the engine. Gamebryo is so dated now. Hell, it was dated with Oblivion. Makes me wonder how the next Fallout will look if they use this engine for it (which they probably will).

Magnus

Looks like so much generic fantasy gaming. Music was nice.

I'll never understand GAF's various attitudes towards graphics in games today. Feels like we've seen so much on consoles and PC that look better than whatever was in that trailer.

WanderingWind said:
It seems like you've only played Oblivion, which would explain why you think it doesn't feel like Elder Scrolls.

i've played enough of Morrowind to get kinda bored and then distracted by other games, but i think you're right. i've played tons and tons of Oblivion. i keep hearing people say that Oblivion focused on the imperial areas, and that won't be the case at all in ESV. would you say that's accurate? maybe that's why things look stylistically different aside from the engine?

too much other stuff to quote, but you guys are already answering a lot of my questions:

-Bethesda says PS3 version looking good. i'll go ahead and trust them but only because they did a great job with Oblivion on PS3 and because, contrary to what everyone else feels, i actually thought PS3 Fallout3 looked pretty good. i just hope for a decent framerate.

-watching it a few more times... that waterfall/stream/thing looks terrible. looks flat enough to walk on. flowing water has never looked as good as standing bodies of water in games though, so i need to see some closeups of both.

-remembering what GI said about equipping, i am a little disappointed that i can no longer equip a shield in one hand, a sword in the other, and still be able to cast. i'd have to remove one or the other and replace with a spell. yeah, there is a quick select feature but it has to be fast enough. especially when blocking and casting on the retreat.

poisonelf

Magnus said:
Looks like so much generic fantasy gaming. Music was nice.

I'll never understand GAF's various attitudes towards graphics in games today. Feels like we've seen so much on consoles and PC that look better than whatever was in that trailer.
I think you're misunderstanding the notion of huge, open world to freely explore.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Holy fuck that trailer got me totally pumped.
I didn't like Oblivion and I still put 200+ hours into that sumbitch.

If this game turns out half as good as Morrowind that's another 500+ hours of my life.

Wait, I don't understand. How do you put in 200+ hours into a game you don't like?

Magnus

poisonelf said:
I think you're misunderstanding the notion of huge, open world to freely explore.

Word, fair enough! I guess by GTA standards, it looks amazing, lol.

Guess I was never one for this type of game, but everyone's raving about it. Thought I'd give it a look.

Magnus said:

Yeah, I agree about graphics. Definitely have been better looking games release thus far. Graphics aren't a big deal to me, as I'm more interested in story and gameplay. But on the other hand, I'm just happy the decided to use a new engine for Skyrim. If they would have just used Gamebyro, I would have been interested in it, but not nearly as much as I am now. It was time for Bethesda to raise the stakes for their franchises in terms of graphics. And while I'm not expecting it to be the best looking RPG to ever hit consoles/PC, I'm at least happy that it will probably be the best looking game Bethesda has produced yet. :)

Grakl

Looks really good and stylish - love how it is like high fantasy, but Nordic twist. The music gets me every time; I've heard it a lot, yet every time it gets better.

tmacairjordan87 said:
To each his own though.
Oh yeah, absolutely. I just come from a "hardcore" PCRPG background (Ultima, Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 & 2, etc) so I'm more interested in these types of games vs. the more linear approach to RPGs which seems so prevalent these days. I also enjoyed what little I played of Mass Effect 1 (felt like an interesting progression from KotOR) and am still intrigued by DA:O.
Anyway, apologies for the derail (again).

It's nice to see that not only the game appears to animate better, but we also get more visual options in combat. The backstabbing animation and finishing move are definitely a nice touch.

wit3tyg3r

FunkyPajamas said:
Oh yeah, absolutely. I just come from a "hardcore" PCRPG background (Ultima, Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 & 2, etc) so I'm more interested in these types of games vs. the more linear approach to RPGs which seems so prevalent these days. I also enjoyed what little I played of Mass Effect 1 (felt like an interesting progression from KotOR) and am still intrigued by DA:O.

It's nice to see that not only the game appears to animate better, but we also get more visual options in combat. The backstabbing animation and finishing move are definitely a nice touch.

I think the Elder Scrolls series is far from linear, especially with the open-world exploration concept. You can go anywhere and do anything at anytime (except when it makes sense to NOT be able to go anywhere and do anything at anytime). In fact, BioWare has a nasty habit of breaking the "open world" into smaller sections that sometimes aren't even adjacent. Don't get me wrong, though. I love BioWare. They are #2 on my top-10 game dev companies (#1 being Bethesda).

Grakl

FunkyPajamas said:

Unfortunately that game isn't very open-ended, though the dialog system is more westernized. Still, you gotta play and finish that beast - one of the best games of the generation.

I do wonder how open Skyrim will be compared to Oblivion, though it looks like it would be the same, if not more open.

wit3tyg3r

Grakl said:
Unfortunately that game isn't very open-ended, though the dialog system is more westernized. Still, you gotta play and finish that beast - one of the best games of the generation.

I do wonder how open Skyrim will be compared to Oblivion, though it looks like it would be the same, if not more open.

According to the GameInformer podcast that had Todd Howard in it, the game is equally as large, but there are more mountainous regions, meaning traverse-able area in Skyrim is less than traverse-able area in Oblivion.

wit3tyg3r said:
I think the Elder Scrolls series is far from linear, especially with the open-world exploration concept. You can go anywhere and do anything at anytime (except when it makes sense to NOT be able to go anywhere and do anything at anytime). In fact, BioWare has a nasty habit of breaking the "open world" into smaller sections that sometimes aren't even adjacent. Don't get me wrong, though. I love BioWare. They are #2 on my top-10 game dev companies (#1 being Bethesda).
:) Yeah, I know. I was referring to Mass Effect/Dragon Age when I was taking about linearity. Bethesda is the king of open world RPGs in my eyes (or at least they have the most recognizable IP in the sub-genre) but they're not very good at crafting an engaging story in my opinion (something which the old CRPGs still reign).

wit3tyg3r said:
(except when it makes sense to NOT be able to go anywhere and do anything at anytime)
In Morrowind you were given a set of papers at the start of the game to be delivered to a guy in the first big town (I forget the name right now). You could lose those papers (drop them in a crate anywhere in the world and forget about them) and effectively destroy the main quest. Awesome :D

Some of the locations just look beautiful (screencapped from YouTube):

344y1w1.jpg

3501fl5.jpg

2w7ee6a.jpg

wit3tyg3r

FunkyPajamas said:
...but they're not very good at crafting an engaging story in my opinion (something which the old CRPGs still reign).

Indeed. I agree with you there. But personally, the infinite amount of exploration and mods trump the poor narration. Hopefully Skyrim will have a better plot than Oblivion (which I have a feeling it will based on the the videos and GameInformer's massive cover on it).

I am also glad that Bethesda encourages modding. They are one of the few that love user-submitted content.

wit3tyg3r said:
Indeed. I agree with you there. But personally, the infinite amount of exploration and mods trump the poor narration. Hopefully Skyrim will have a better plot than Oblivion (which I have a feeling it will based on the the videos and GameInformer's massive cover on it).
Yeah, I should have said though that they handle lore like no other. Their world and history is just so expansive that I could probably lose myself for hours reading their books. Also, the little notes/journals/annotations to be found when following sidequests are always entertaining and well written in my opinion.

While I always expect them to improve the main quest's story, I wouldn't skip an Elder Scrolls game for that; as you said the gameplay and exploration more than makes up for it.

RyanDG

wit3tyg3r said:

I am also glad that Bethesda encourages modding. They are one of the few that love user-submitted content.

It does seem that the story (and your character's role in it) is playing a far more important role in Skyrim than in the last two games. The blow-outs they are having on it really has a tendency of focusing on how you are truly unique. The problem with Oblivion's main story, is that a lot of the times, while you were the one 'solving' the world's crisis, it felt a little like you were simply tagging along a far more important person. Here, it seems that Bethesda has finally decided to make you that far more important person. Should be interesting to see how they handle that.

There were some real gems for side quests in Oblivion though. Lots of little mini-stories that were really worth delving into.

wit3tyg3r

FunkyPajamas said:
Yeah, I should have said though that they handle lore like no other. Their world and history is just so expansive that I could probably lose myself for hours reading their books. Also, the little notes/journals/annotations to be found when following sidequests are always entertaining and well written in my opinion.

While I always expect them to improve the main quest's story, I wouldn't skip an Elder Scroll game for that; as you said the gameplay and exploration more than makes up for it.

I once went to the Elder Scrolls wiki and spent the good portion of a whole weekend reading the lore. I would LOVE for more novels based on Elder Scroll's lore to come out. I have the Infernal City and I think a sequel is expected, but I want more ES lore!!

Grimm Fandango said:

3501fl5.jpg

I dont know what you call the device inside of the windmill, I assume it is used for working with grain, but I love that it is an actual working device.

wit3tyg3r

RyanDG said:
It does seem that the story (and your character's role in it) is playing a far more important role in Skyrim than in the last two games. The blow-outs they are having on it really has a tendency of focusing on how you are truly unique. The problem with Oblivion's main story, is that a lot of the times, while you were the one 'solving' the world's crisis, it felt a little like you were simply tagging along a far more important person. Here, it seems that Bethesda has finally decided to make you that far more important person. Should be interesting to see how they handle that.

There were some real gems for side quests in Oblivion though. Lots of little mini-stories that were really worth delving into.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am the kind of person who plays games more for the content than the game play, so Oblivion was and is my top RPG game. The main plot wasn't something to write home about, but the lore and setting and side-quests made the game so good, I spent 100+ hours on 4 different characters...meaning 100+ on each lol. Yeah, Skyrim is going to consume more than my life...November 11, here I come.

I <3 Memes said:
I dont know what you call the device inside of the windmill, I assume it is used for working with grain, but I love that it is an actual working device.

if i had poop with which to poop out of me, i would have done it just now when i noticed what you pointed out.

...please let farming/foresting/mining be like that too...... oh god...

Nocebo

Grimm Fandango said:

3501fl5.jpg
I wonder if you can jump off that rock "bridge" formation in the distance into the water and still survive. That'd be an awesome free fall.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Haunted said:
Not sure what would be unbelievable about this? Drakan pulled off dynamic dragon fights on land or air a decade ago.

oh yeah, I enjoyed the two games,the first was better tho,hope there will be a reboot or something for it, btw who own the IP ? Warner Bros ( they bought Surreal iirc)?

wit3tyg3r

Effect said:
Wow. The game looks great so far. I just hope they will be adding more npcs throughout the world.

Yeah. It always bothered me that only a handful of people roamed the market area of the Imperial City when it should be hundreds.

Effect

wit3tyg3r said:
Yeah. It always bothered me that only a handful of people roamed the market area of the Imperial City when it should be hundreds.

I could understand some of the smaller villages being empty but even then there were to few people. The big cities should be full of people coming and going.

More natural terrain creation, new shaders and (fucking finally) a lighting engine that's past the Dx8 era.

I will devour this game, and god help us all when the new Fallout is announced.

okenny

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Great capture, Dennis.

Seriously, this is similar to that magical feeling of seeing DKC running on 16-bit SNES hardware for the first time. It's like a generational leap, defying the ancient tech inside the box.

I believe the developer from Capcom said it best a few years ago: The 360 is deep.

MickeyKnox said:
I will devour this game, and god help us all when the new Fallout is announced.

I completely forgot that Beth can and likely will use this tech for the next Fallout... or at least let Obsidian use it. That's going to be a nice reveal.

edit:

poisonelf said:

respeck knuckles.

kevm3

Looks like they took the time to actually hand craft some unique environments. This should actually compel me to explore. Looks like a substantial improvement over Oblivion in terms of me wanting to actually explore the world.

wit3tyg3r

kevm3 said:
Looks like they took the time to actually hand craft some unique environments. This should actually compel me to explore. Looks like a substantial improvement over Oblivion in terms of me wanting to actually explore the world.

How could you NOT want to explore Oblivion? That was practically the best part of it!! Not to mention ALL Elder Scrolls games are about the open-world exploration.

Top Bottom