• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

Zeliard

kitzkozan said:
Impression are more often then not positive,even when the game is shaping up to be a complete turd. :p How often have I seen a positive preview of a game and the next month it's being destroyed in the review. :] Not saying it's looking like a bad game because it's not,but I am sure it won't reach it's full potential.I expect a good game with lot's of execution errors and flaws. ;)

If you would actually read the impressions, they contain plenty of concrete details. :>

There were several hands-on out today.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I don't know if it's because i'm high as shit, but this was the most epic trailer of the generation. The music was owning this bitch

Zeal

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
I don't know if it's because i'm high as shit, but this was the most epic trailer of the generation. The music was owning this bitch
no, this is reality.

and Skyrim just destroyed it.

Please let Zelda come out in August or something this year, there is too much stuff coming at the end of the year, and I'd hate to have to let some of these games sit while I finish Zelda. :\

kitzkozan said:
Impression are more often then not positive,even when the game is shaping up to be a complete turd. :p How often have I seen a positive preview of a game and the next month it's being destroyed in the review. :] Not saying it's looking like a bad game because it's not,but I am sure it won't reach it's full potential.I expect a good game with lot's of execution errors and flaws. ;)

I understand your concerns, and a lot of times that is true with games.

But read this preview in particular. It goes into a lot of tiny details and little things that make Deus Ex what it is, and IMO was the best of all the previews written today. If the devs can do this for the first three hours, there's no reason why they can't for the full 20+ hours. This preview shows that the developers get what makes Deus Ex.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/24/deus-ex-human-revolution-hands-on-the-first-three-hours/

rexor0717

my-body-is-ready.png

In all seriousness though, that was amazing. That game will consume hundreds of hours of my life. There is no question about it.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
kitzkozan said:
The previews aren't positive in a vague sort of way. They give lots of specific details, most of which sound great. The other information released about the game--thematics, gameplay systems, augmentations, and so on--indicates that the designers know what they're doing.

I don't blame you for being skeptical. I just think that in this case, it's unwarranted, and that Deus Ex 3 will be GOTY material.

X26

Banned
awesome trailer, love how much more layered and interesting the environments are compared to oblivion's bland flatness, the overall art style, the little details like the run cam, etc.

Long Live Awesome SP Experiences!

Unfortunately, I probably won't get to this for a while, if ever...If you had handed this to my 13-year-old self, though, i probably would have started sobbing with joy and you wouldn't have seen me for the next 3 months.

*ruefully contemplates unplayed/underplayed copies of Oblivion, Witcher, Fallout 3, etc...*

Jenga

Banned
Chairman Yang said:
The previews aren't positive in a vague sort of way. They give lots of specific details, most of which sound great. The other information released about the game--thematics, gameplay systems, augmentations, and so on--indicates that the designers know what they're doing.

I don't blame you for being skeptical. I just think that in this case, it's unwarranted, and that Deus Ex 3 will be GOTY material.
my perceptions of DX3 have changed quite a bit

before I was a cynic, now i am a optimist

Gorgon

kitzkozan said:
Just wanna know something about Deux Ex.Why is it on so many anticipated list when we have no idea about the team working on the game? Sure,it's based on one of the greatest game ever made,but Eidos Montreal is not known for making rpg,even less this rpg/shooter hybrid.It's logical to expect that they might screw up one or numerous aspect of the game and botch the transition from ideas on paper to reality.

You check up their resume and so far they have nothing to show.It's a new studio which started in 2007 and they haven't released Deux ex and I see they will also work on Thief 4.They got a lot to prove and I'll believe the game was worthy of being on an anticipated list when I actually see it.

Well, the same goes for Skyrim. After the shit that was Oblivion, why the fuck would you be interested in Skyrim? Hope is powerful.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If someone could make that dragon shout part of the trailer a .gif appropriate for a NeoGAF avatar, I promise I'll be their Junior Member Bitch.

Grinchy

Banned
I am SO excited for this but I've learned to take a wait-and-see approach when it comes to PS3 versions of games made by this company.

That said, I did think that Oblivion ran just fine and that for the most part so did vanilla Fallout 3 so maybe I'm just worrying over nothing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Morrowind theme is so amazing. Its so so sooo much better than Oblivion's.

Monocle

Looks great. Ridiculously powerful music. I'd like to see longer clips of unedited gameplay now. Also: expansion set in Vvardenfell, plz.

I Am Now said:
What are you waiting for? Start with Oblivion. Morrowind sucks.
The only advantages Oblivion has over Morrowind are better graphics and combat. Morrowind has freer gameplay (including, crucially, the levitation spell that lets you sail over the crags, plains, and towns of Vvardenfell), a leveling system that not totally busted, more environmental variety, and significantly more complex and inventive lore to flesh out its main plotline. Your opinion should be disregarded unless you can support it with something better than "Morrowind sucks." Right now you're looking pretty dumb for bashing the game that's widely regarded as the best in the Elder Scrolls series.

Jenga

Banned
Monocle said:
Looks great. Ridiculously powerful music. I'd like to see longer clips of unedited gameplay now.

"
From what I understand, the animation/combat system is being done by the Dark Messiah crew and they've got the Morrowind writers to return.

please someone confirm this, there is already cum all over my keyboard

"so much had changed that we decided to call the engine and editor by a new name, the Creation Engine and the Creation Kit. We can't wait to see what all the brilliant mod makers do with these tools."

ughgsugsdhfgsfsda

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Looks like a graphically upgraded Oblivion.

Don't know if I'm supposed to like that.

Music owns.

Graphics rocks.

Gameplay, we'll have to wait.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Monocle said:
The only advantages Oblivion has over Morrowind are better graphics and combat. Morrowind has freer gameplay (including, crucially, the levitation spell that lets you sail over the crags, plains, and towns of Vvardenfell), a leveling system that not totally busted, more environmental variety, and significantly more complex and inventive lore to flesh out its main plotline. Your opinion should be disregarded unless you can support it with something better than "Morrowind sucks."

Morrowind has more of everything. More quests, more guilds to join, more weapons and armor, more types of weapons and armor, more skills, more stats, more dungeons, a larger landmass, and pretty much everything else.

The only thing Oblivion has over it are production values and accessibility through streamlining. For some people that is enough to sway their vote, but for me it made Oblivion an objectively inferior game.

Morrowind + Tribunal + Bloodmoon is one of the biggest and most satisfying RPGs I've ever played. There's just so much to see and do.

Spat_triate

shinobi602 said:
Top 10 Hype-o-meter 2011

1)Mass Effect 3
2)Skyrim
3)Uncharted 3
4)Gears of War 3
5)L.A. Noire
6)Rage
7)Dragon Age 2
8)Arkham City
9)Deus Ex: Human Revolution
10)The Witcher 2

Well shit. This is inspiring me to actually work harder to get more work contracts.

Jenga said:
From what I understand, the animation/combat system is being done by the Dark Messiah crew and they've got the Morrowind writers to return.

From what I gathered, Bethesda just seems to have drawn some inspiration from the M&M crew. For the rest, they have nothing to do with the development of Skyrim, as they're working on a project of their own.

Jenga

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Looks like a graphically upgraded Oblivion.
Looks like a graphically upgraded Bloodmoon.

1)Mass Effect 3
2)Skyrim
3)Uncharted 3
4)Gears of War 3
5)L.A. Noire
6)Rage
7)Dragon Age 2
8)Arkham City
9)Deus Ex: Human Revolution
10)The Witcher 2

The witcher and Deus ex at the bottom?

son i am saddened

Pollux

DennisK4 said:

that looks amazing. Can't wait to see more screenshots of the game. I need to get a PC up and running that can play this thing before 11/11. any advice would be appreciated from anyone.... currently using a macbook pro from 2007 and have no experience building PCs.

Monocle

EatChildren said:
Morrowind has more of everything. More quests, more guilds to join, more weapons and armor, more types of weapons and armor, more skills, more stats, more dungeons, a larger landmass, and pretty much everything else.

The only thing Oblivion has over it are production values and accessibility through streamlining. For some people that is enough to sway their vote, but for me it made Oblivion an objectively inferior game.

Morrowind + Tribunal + Bloodmoon is one of the biggest and most satisfying RPGs I've ever played. There's just so much to see and do.
Pretty much. Morrowind: Game of the Year edition has enough content to fill five games. It's such a rich and expansive world. Who in their right mind could seriously claim that it "sucks"?

Jenga said:

ughgsugsdhfgsfsda
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Too much hype.

Jenga

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
From what I gathered, Bethesda just seems to have drawn some inspiration from the M&M crew. For the rest, they have nothing to do with the development of Skyrim, as they're working on a project of their own.
Really? I had heard Beth had bought them out and just assumed they were being used in some way for Skyrim's development.

Still really bloody cool either way

Spat_triate

Jenga said:
Looks like a graphically upgraded Bloodmoon.

The witcher and Deus ex at the bottom?

son i am saddened

Wasn't really in order but look now:

1)Mass Effect 3
2)Skyrim
3)The Witcher 2
4)L.A. Noire
5)Deus Ex
6)Uncharted 3
7)Rage
8)Arkham City
9)Dragon Age 2
10)Gears of War 3

mission accomplished!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Spat_triate said:
Wasn't really in order but look now:

1)Mass Effect 3
2)Skyrim
3)The Witcher 2
4)L.A. Noire
5)Deus Ex
6)Uncharted 3
7)Rage
8)Arkham City
9)Dragon Age 2
10)Gears of War 3

mission accomplished!

needs more Battlefield ...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm one of the most dismissive and critical people on GAF when it comes to Bethesda's recent games... but I have to give credit where it's due... (and I'm quite happy to)

That was impressive on a number of levels. Improvements all around. Animation especially... which I cannot overstate how much it was needed.

Really loved the FPV camera work in the beginning when he was running through the forest... I mean that was top-tier AAA stuff right there. That was -- the camera work and sound -- as good as Mirror's Edge (Industry leading in FPV player movement atm, imo). I have a feeling it's just for sprinting. Hopefully they'll find a way to work that into all player movement, to various degrees: walk/run/sprint/combat.

I was highly skeptical of the dragons. But this is not Cliff Racer 2.0 at all... just really impressive work on them. I'm actually excited about dragons being in the game now and I couldn't have given a fuck previously.

Stealth kills + finishing moves... nice. The short bow segment looked really good as well.

Just don't overdo it will loot scaling (that sucked all the fun out of Oblivion) and get a little of that awesome camera work into walking/running/combat and I'll have to say this might be the biggest improvement I've seen from a developer from one game to the next.

Jenga said:
Really? I had heard Beth had bought them out and just assumed they were being used in some way for Skyrim's development.

Still really bloody cool either way
Beth didn't, ZeniMax did like they aqcuired id. People were posting on the Bethesda forums, asking if Arkane had anything to do with development, and Beth pretty much shot those rumors down in the same way they shot down the Id Tech 5 rumors.

So Arkane had nothing to do with it, it seems.

Jenga

Banned
recklessmind said:
Just don't overdo it will loot scaling (that sucked all the fun out of Oblivion) and get a little of that awesome camera work into walking/running/combat and I'll have to say this might be the biggest improvement I've seen from a developer from one game to the next.
The scaling in F3 wasn't too bad, but still, I really hope Beth listens to the positive feedback on how Obsidian handled it in NV

Jenga said:
The scaling in F3 wasn't too bad, but still, I really hope Beth listens to the positive feedback on how Obsidian handled it in NV
Level scaling will be handled pretty similarly to Fallout 3, that much has been confirmed already. I think loot scaling wasn't even present in the two Fallout games, and I'm pretty confident it won't be present here, either.

That trailer sure was something! Gorgeous graphics? Check! Amazing music? Check!

Even though I didn’t like the gameplay in Oblivion I’m still pretty excited for this one.

-i didn't really feel a ES vibe from the trailer at all. looked really cool, but not like it was a new ES title. maybe it was the viking-ish helmet and graphical style difference? it's going to take some more footage and screens etc. before i can really decide. one of the GI shots showed a glass axe or cleaver of some sort. THAT'S the kind of familiarity im talking about. im all for innovation but if it's completely different weapon types, element types, magic types, etc. etc. then it just won't feel like oblivion. (kinda like a CnC game with no tiberium....)

-glad to see confirmation that it was a 360 build. the 2 versions i've watched were both choppy and rough looking. i wouldn't say that it looks better or worse than Oblivion, but about on par. some things look rough and some things look better. again, it's a choppy (and hopefully early) build on a 360. there's time. hopefully they show PS3 shots/footage and make it known that they are. (i hate the back and forth confirming of which platform that occurs around the unveiling of new games)

-still kinda fuzzy on how combat with a dragon will work. everything was really cinematic aside from a few milliseconds here and there. wondering how they are going to allow it to be a fair fight even with shouts and whatever.

-looking forward to some in-game footage and some lengthier previews. most of the previews i've read so far seem like they were just descriptions of what they saw and not of what they did. almost fed to them. that's normal though these days. when they ACTUALLY get some sit-down time with it i want to see what they say about differences from oblivion.

-as said before, i hope there's plenty of not-game stuff to do. all i've heard so far is some farming and foresting/mining. i had a blast in oblivion just running around hunting deer and that sort of thing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Jenga said:

I honestly didn't notice it in Fallout.

First of all there really isn't that much different loot to begin with... but I was able to get my hands on rocket launchers, miniguns, power armor way before I was able to use any of it. That's how it should be, imo.

I found Lincoln's rifle pretty early as well... that was my favorite weapon of the game.

So I never really noticed loot scaling if it was there. But I did notice level scaling. :/

Still it was better than Oblivion.

Is that gif on the first page, the one with the bow and arrow and wolf, seriously in game? Thoes graphics are unbelieveably amazing. That has to be the PC version right?

EatChildren

GillianSeed79 said:
Is that gif on the first page, the one with the bow and arrow and wolf, seriously in game? Thoes graphics are unbelieveably amazing. That has to be the PC version right?

In game and apparently the Xbox 360 version.

Top Bottom