• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

Here's my hype-o-meter:

1. Skyrim
2. Arkham City
3. Zelda: Skyward Sword
4. Mass Effect 3
5. Portal 2

Special honor!
Half Life 2: Episode 3 (lol)

Duki

Banned
subversus said:
Judging by his posts he's a petty troll, don't feed.
sorry for daring to disagree with the hivemind bro i didnt realise i had to be wowed by a dragon that looks like it was made out of fallout 3's concrete textures

apparently you cant be excited for a game unless you absolutely praise every single aspect of it

ill remember that from now on bro

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Grimm Fandango said:
Here's my hype-o-meter:

1. Skyrim
2. Arkham City
3. Zelda: Skyward Sword
4. Mass Effect 3
5. Portal 2

Special honor!
Half Life 2: Episode 3 (lol)

Fuck you for not ....ah forget it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Looks incredible. The landscapes look gorgeous, and I'm sure what was shown is only scratching at the surface.

Booshka

Izayoi said:
What.

I got into both Morrowind and Oblivion instantly.
So did I, but I have heard from a lot of my friends that they couldn't get into it and they never played for more than an hour or two. They would be amazed by the world and explore for a little bit, but wouldn't know what to do or how to play, lose interest and quit soon after. A few of them tried playing it again, I told them to stick with it for a little longer and they ended up loving it.

Obviously, open world RPG fans are going to be sucked into the game immediately, but not everyone will. I have heard the same story multiple times of someone starting a Morrowind game and whiffing attacks on a Mudcrab for 5 mins right outside of Seyda Neen. Then promptly get destroyed by a Cliff Racer; realize they haven't saved since the game started and rage quit never to play it again.

wolfgare

Looks soo good! Day one for sure.

The water needs improvement, but the small details in the the game world are just amazing. The stone face in the forest, seeing wheel grinding inside the windmill as it spins, the snow coming off the mountains as the wind's blowing in that final scene. Definitely can't wait til November.

Despera

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Definitive 2011 RPG anticipation list

1) Mass Effect 3

2) Risen 2

3) Skyrim

4) The Witcher 2

5) Deux Ex

I thought you said Deus Ex wasn't an RPG... Besides, your list is missing a vital component called Dark Souls.

Edit: I see you edited your post lol.

Dennis

Banned
Despera said:
I thought you said Deus Ex wasn't an RPG... Besides, your list is missing a vital component called Dark Souls.

Edit: I see you edited your post lol.
Why do you post a fake list with my name on it? For shame, Despera.

Solo

DennisK4 said:
Definitive 2011 RPG anticipation list

1) Mass Effect 3

2) Risen 2

3) Skyrim

4) The Witcher 2

5) Dead State

Dennis, we are on the same wavelength about ME2....so how the FUCK can you have ME3 at #1?

1. The Witcher 2
2. Skyrim
3. Dark Souls

Dennis

Banned
Solo said:
Dennis, we are on the same wavelength about ME2....so how the FUCK can you have ME3 at #1?

1. The Witcher 2
2. Skyrim
3. Dark Souls
Because they may have seen the error of their ways and are returning to the glory that was Mass Effect?

One can hope.

szaromir

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Because they may have seen the error of their ways and are returning to the glory that was Mass Effect?

One can hope.
They already said ME3 is following ME2's formula... sadly. I would prefer if Bioware went back to KotOR-esque games. :(

Zeliard

This trailer obliterated any hype I managed to muster up for DA2 after playing the PC demo, which was already basically none. In an ideal world the two games would have switched release dates. This is the game I'd much rather do my dragon killing in.

Cromat

I really hope this doesn't require disc swapping for the 360... it would kinda kill the experience.

They should give you the option to install it on the hard-drive.
Can you install Mass Effect 2 and then not bother with disc swapping?

szaromir said:
They already said ME3 is following ME2's formula... sadly. I would prefer if Bioware went back to KotOR-esque games. :(

Christina Norman (lead designer) highlighted more and better rpg elements in a diagram for what they need to improve and keep the same in 3.

What do you mean by kotor-esque? If it's story wise then Bioware pretty much keeps that style in all their games. About 4 main story hub worlds/areas then the final battle. If it's combat? Fuck that, I don't want any dice roll crap. It hurt ME1's combat, and ME2's combat was great. They can add more rpg elements and keep the combat from 2.

Gravijah

tmacairjordan87 said:
Christina Norman (lead designer) highlighted more and better rpg elements in a diagram for what they need to improve and keep the same in 3.

What do you mean by kotor-esque? If it's story wise then Bioware pretty much keeps that style in all their games. About 4 main story hub worlds/areas then the final battle. If it's combat? Fuck that, I don't want any dice roll crap. It hurt ME1's combat, and ME2's combat was great. They can add more rpg elements and keep the combat from 2.

hey buddy don't you fuckin' hate on the dice rolls

I love Western RPG's this gen :). It's moments like this when you see something coming together that will blow your socks off that makes me happy to be a gamer. I'm glad it's multiplatform too as I'm tired of the Sony circle jerk threads for every game that's exclusive to the platform. Everyone can enjoy this one, well almost everyone.

szaromir

Banned
tmacairjordan87 said:

Fewer levels with at least a slice of exploration and some interesting side quests, like in KotOR/first half of Jade Empire. The areas were very limited in these games, but still much bigger than ME2's tiny narrow corridors.

Zeliard

If Bioware actually wants to make a proper Mass Effect RPG then I don't think anyone would complain. If it's going to be half-assed RPG elements like with ME1, I'd much rather them go the ME2 route.

If it's not going to be a proper RPG then at least have a solid action base for the gameplay and put focus on other things, like ME2 did with the characters (though not so much story). ME1 wasn't terribly entertaining or interesting to actually play.

szaromir said:
Fewer levels with at least a slice of exploration and some interesting side quests, like in KotOR/first half of Jade Empire. The areas were very limited in these games, but still much bigger than ME2's tiny narrow corridors.

I can agree with this. Exploration is not Bioware's strength, and I'm disappointed they cannot seem to make exploring the galaxy fun in either game. I really wish there was a way Bethesda could work on the exploring part of ME3 while Bioware worked on the rest.

JWong

Banned
Looks great. Only issue I had with graphics is that rushing river.

Graphics doesn't really show any improvement to the lifeless random dungeon generator. Hopefully the actual story missions and other major side missions will be good.

Jokergrin

PH2005081401115.jpg

Todd Howard knows what's up.

kitzkozan

Just wanna know something about Deux Ex.Why is it on so many anticipated list when we have no idea about the team working on the game? Sure,it's based on one of the greatest game ever made,but Eidos Montreal is not known for making rpg,even less this rpg/shooter hybrid.It's logical to expect that they might screw up one or numerous aspect of the game and botch the transition from ideas on paper to reality.

You check up their resume and so far they have nothing to show.It's a new studio which started in 2007 and they haven't released Deux ex and I see they will also work on Thief 4.They got a lot to prove and I'll believe the game was worthy of being on an anticipated list when I actually see it.

Zeliard

New Deus Ex has been getting pretty solid impressions. Seems like they're on the right track, though it remains to be seen how it all turns out.

And remember that Invisible War was made by the same devs as Deus Ex. Still not sure how the fuck that happened.

kitzkozan said:
Just wanna know something about Deux Ex.Why is it on so many anticipated list when we have no idea about the team working on the game? Sure,it's based on one of the greatest game ever made,but Eidos Montreal is not known for making rpg,even less this rpg/shooter hybrid.It's logical to expect that they might screw up one or numerous aspect of the game and botch the transition from ideas on paper to reality.

You check up their resume and so far they have nothing to show.It's a new studio which started in 2007 and they haven't released Deux ex and I see they will also work on Thief 4.They got a lot to prove and I'll believe the game was worthy of being on an anticipated list when I actually see it.

A fair point, but all of the impressions and previews have been extremely positive and they all seem to agree it keeps the spirit of Deus Ex 1 in-tact, while at the same time improving other things like combat. In dev interviews, the people talking know what makes Deus Ex great and know what the fans want. We know the game is 20+ hours with good replayability, that it is hard even on normal, and that the exploration and semi-open levels and mission structure is back. There's also lots of data pads and other interactive stuff littered around places.

We actually haven't seen anything yet that says it might suck, it's like the opposite of Dragon Age 2 on gaf :p

Oh man, just watched the trailer. So good. Loved the part where the character yells / sings the chant. Such a good way to wind down the night. Maybe I'll play some more Morrowind when I have the chance later.

Top 10 Hype-o-meter 2011

1)Mass Effect 3
2)Skyrim
3)Uncharted 3
4)Gears of War 3
5)L.A. Noire
6)Rage
7)Dragon Age 2
8)Arkham City
9)Deus Ex: Human Revolution
10)Forza Motorsport 4

kitzkozan

tmacairjordan87 said:
A fair point, but all of the impressions and previews have been extremely positive and they all seem to agree it keeps the spirit of Deus Ex 1 in-tact, while at the same time improving other things like combat. In dev interviews, the people talking know what makes Deus Ex great and know what the fans want. We know the game is 20+ hours with good replayability, that it is hard even on normal, and that the exploration and semi-open levels and mission structure is back. There's also lots of data pads and other interactive stuff littered around places.

We actually haven't seen anything yet that says it might suck, it's like the opposite of Dragon Age 2 on gaf :p

Impression are more often then not positive,even when the game is shaping up to be a complete turd. :p How often have I seen a positive preview of a game and the next month it's being destroyed in the review. :] Not saying it's looking like a bad game because it's not,but I am sure it won't reach it's full potential.I expect a good game with lot's of execution errors and flaws. ;)

Lakitu

st5fu
DennisK4 said:

I was thinking we were going to an animated version of that. :lol

I just saw it just now and I'm blown away. I don't usually get goosebumps watching trailers but that shit got the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Especially the dragon shout and the fuck awesome theme.

The art direction and graphics are completely gorgeous. Bethesda, are undoubtedly, my favourite devs. I can't wait to see what they'll do with Fallout 4.

But for now, I'm going to be Skyrim's bitch.

I've clocked in around 245 hours on my last Oblivion playthrough and I expect even more with Skyrim.

Top Bottom