• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

hamchan

CrocMother said:
If that is PS3 footage... WHAT DOES PC LOOK LIKE

No way. I don't believe this.

This one trailer has made this my most anticipated game of the year. Seems like Bethesda are doing something really special here.

Zeliard

JoeBoy101 said:
THIS is what is getting me about this game. LOOK at the complexity in the world geometry. Bethesda has never created a world like this with depth, tiers, height, etc. That natural bridge is a brilliant example (and is that buildings on top of it?)

And judging from Beth's general way of operating, we'll be able to go to every one of those locations.

That's why even if I've had big problems with Beth's recent games, they've always been one of my favorite companies due to their design philosophy being so heavily invested in player freedom. Back in the day, Beth was one of several companies doing this, but it's pretty rare to see it these days.

Fallout-NL said:
Well, it looks good I guess. But all of these 'modern RPGs' have yet to live up to the promise of a modern RPG. Shouldn't you guys rein in the hype just a little?

The reason for the hype around this game is that many of us have been waiting for Beth to finally make a worthy successor to Morrowind, and this looks like it could finally be it. All of the signs are pointing to that so far.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
And now, just to get caught up in the hype for moment...

359et0z.jpg

Belisarius

Neo Member
That looks awesome. I would do dark, terrible things to make it come out next month, instead of in 9 months. :( Even if all that stuff isn't technically "gameplay" (I question whether the player character can make sweeping crane shots past picturesque windmills) it is super-awesome to see game trailers done pretty much entirely in-engine. It gives you at least some sort of feel for what you can expect in the game, and as this trailer shows you don't have to sacrifice anything in terms of emotional impact or holy shitness.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Folks, there is no way that trailer was built from the PS3 version of the game. Don't kid yourselves.

I like how in that assassination gif, no one else cares about the dude getting a knife to the throat. Everyone is just being all carefree and gay (happy) while this other cat is getting killed.

vixlar

Solo said:
Thats what I'm talking about! Love the assassinations.

But what about the bards in the back? They don't do anything... or maaaaybe the bards were an illusion created by the player to distract the victim... Summon Bard!!!!

Wow, this actually blows me away. The detail to the world is stunning as well as the combat. Does anyone know what that creature at 1:27 is?

Jenga

Banned
is it just me or does it look exactly like a next-gen update of the bloodmoon morrowind expansion?

which isn't a bad thing, I loved it

Solo

vixlar said:
But what about the bards in the back? They don't do anything... or maaaaybe the bards were an illusion created by the player to distract the victim... Summon Bard!!!!

They're in on the job! Besides, they're bards - what the fuck could they do?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Fallout-NL said:
Well, it looks good I guess. But all of these 'modern RPGs' have yet to live up to the promise of a modern RPG. Shouldn't you guys rein in the hype just a little?

I've put in countless hours in Morrowind and Oblivion. Some of my favorite games. This will be no different.

KKRT00

hamchan said:
No way. I don't believe this.

This one trailer has made this my most anticipated game of the year. Seems like Bethesda are doing something really special here.
You have to, its certainly console footage :)

Clott

Not to rain on anyone's parade, This game looks great and all that but it isn't even going to look close to this on the consoles, ie: you see how dense the foliage is in the forest giff? do the consoles really have the ram for it? I truly think that most of the video is from the PC version which only leads me to think that with now seeing how the Witcher 2 plays this is only making me think of what could have been.

blah blah it's really beating on a dead horse but the consoles are really holding back the advance of our generation! with now the onset of Dragon Age 2 which seems to be a consolified disaster, I can't help to only think how much better ES:S could have looked...

Grisby

Wow, my Xbox will cry tears playing this.

Well, unless I have a gaming PC by then, :/

Looks great and everyone is right, the models are a huge step up from Oblivion. Very glad they got rid of the gamebro engine.

hamchan

This is great. An Elder Scrolls game coming out near the start of the generation and now one coming out near the end. So good to see the differences between them. Especially with that old piece of crap engine gone.

this game is going to own me come November. that footage looks absolutely incredible, almost a generational leap over Oblivion.

oh, and...that music...wow

kadotsu

Banned
Looks good and sounds good. Just needs good VA and quest design to be stellar. I hope the new engine is as modable as their old one. The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Tactics Ogre, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy Type-0, Risen 2, Disgaea 4, Torchlight 2 and maybe Diablo 3 will destroy my life in the upcoming 12 months.

Trailer of the year.
yes even better than the Dead Island trailer

Skyrim looks amazing. I hope that 11.11.11 date stays the same and the game isn't delayed to 2012.

Alastor

This + Witcher 2 + Dark Souls = RPG fans dead for their families in late 2011.

I hope to play at least one of these games this year...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holllly Shiiiiiiit, it looks amazing. Haven't even finished the trailer yet.

Zeliard

Alastor said:
This + Witcher 2 + Dark Souls = RPG fans dead for their families in late 2011.

So true.

2011 = year of the RPG

If Diablo 3 magically manages to make it this year, that would just be incredible. There's also the new Deus Ex, though I have no idea yet what that will be like.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
kadotsu said:
Looks good and sounds good. Just needs good VA and quest design to be stellar. I hope the new engine is as modable as their old one. The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Tactics Ogre, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy Type-0, Risen 2, Disgaea 4, Torchlight 2 and maybe Diablo 3 will destroy my life in the upcoming 12 months.

LOL @ Diablo 3, but this is shaping up to be the best year for RPGs in a long, long time.

Vitet

Zeliard said:
Unbelievable how far the animation has progressed. You can actually sense emotion through characters' faces now. That's a first for Beth! ;)

LA%20Noire_screenshot_PS3_117--article_image.jpg

:D

Skyrim looks amazing and my birthday is 11/11/11 :drool

This game looks absolutely incredible. I cannot wait to pick it up and devote the next week + of my life to it.

I'm thinking about picking up Oblivion on Games on Demand... But with all the expansions and what'not does it make more sense to buy the Game of the Year Edition?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wow! And i dont just mean graphics. Lots of little gameplay things in there, better animations, better world design. And the Skyrim theme.. do i hear parts of the Morrowind theme in there or am i just imagining things?

Holy shit. Looks amazing. The Witcher 2 now has some serious competition, especially if you consider that it's an open world game. And dat art. Best TES game incoming ?

LordPhoque said:
Holy shit. Looks amazing. The Witcher 2 now has some serious competition, especially if you consider that it's an open world game. And dat art. Best TES game incoming ?

Idk if I'd say this looks better than The Witcher 2.

Top Bottom