• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - November 11th, 2011 - [Update: New Engine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thankfully I got to play Oblivion on my bro's PC, the face problem is easily remedied by mods. Plus, you can get those lovely nude patches.

I was on the fence about buying a gaming PC this upcoming year, but a new ES basically forces me to do it. After playing both games on PC and on console, the difference is staggering. Especially as we get farther away from the release of the games, and the console versions become increasingly dated. My only problem is that it's hard to resist those console commands, I can only last about 5 minutes in Morrowind before I pump up my athletics stat (and crank acrobatics to 500 so I can jump across the map).

Fitz

BruceLeeRoy said:
What other games are on gamebyro?

Gamebryo, also Defence Grid isn't on that list.

Snuggler said:
My only problem is that it's hard to resist those console commands, I can only last about 5 minutes in Morrowind before I pump up my athletics stat (and crank acrobatics to 500 so I can jump across the map).

I have a friend who is similar, although he refers to the console as the "cheat menu"... he also asked me a little while ago if I knew when Oblivion 2 was coming out.

Just realized it's released on Armistice Day... Stores here will all be closed.

Oh well, release is still far off, anything can happen. Even if it does ship on time, stores usually sell the game one or two days in advance.

Ledsen said:
So basically Todd Howard knows how much their animation sucks but... doesn't want to hire new animators? I can't think of any other excuse since it's been this way since Morrowind all the way through FO3.

The stiff animation is like a running meme for Bethesda games. It wouldn't be right if Skyrim didn't have it :lol

Timber

Ledsen said:
So basically Todd Howard knows how much their animation sucks but... doesn't want to hire new animators? I can't think of any other excuse since it's been this way since Morrowind all the way through FO3.
That's a bizarre interpretation of that quote.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ledsen said:

Todd Howard is also a pathological liar. I dont trust his word since Oblivion. But I dont think that means what you think it means.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Skyrim is where is the Elder Scrolls universe?

Durante

Lard said:
So what you're saying is that Bethesda just can't program.
Partly that, and partly that making an open world RPG bug-free is infinitely more challenging than doing the same for a corridor shooter.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wallach said:
Up north, where the Nords come from. Where the race of man got their start, and showed the world that elves are bitches.

Nords... Awesome!

Want a normal Elder Scrolls Red Guard game tho...

Madman

eso76 said:
i think some of you people are giving too much credit to engines when it comes to how games look.
With a little tweaking, more polish, better and wiser art decisions and resource shifting, not to mention a couple third party technologies, i'm sure Gamebryo could still produce good results.

From what we've seen of Rage, i don't think Id Tech 5 would have suited the task much better; Rage's overworld is still very much corridor based, not open world free roam at all. And iirc tech 5 doesn't support dynamic lighting and shadows, which is something all games with day/night cycle have been doing for a while now.
Now, if they were using something like Far Cry 2 or, even better, Just Cause 2 engine on the other hand i would be fapping dry, i guess we should wait and see what skyrim looks like.
Exactly my feelings. ID Tech 5 just isn't suited for an Elder Scrolls, but if Skyrim looked as good as Far Cry 2 or Just Cause 2, that would be awesome.

As far as all the bugs talk, Bethesda makes big open world games that are pretty complicated. They are bound to have bugs.

Durante said:
Partly that, and partly that making an open world RPG bug-free is infinitely more challenging than doing the same for a corridor shooter.

That's true, but the nastiest bugs in Bethesda's games come from the quests, and those aren't really that hard to fix. What they need to do is hire more QA staff and allocate more time for bug fixing.

Madman said:
As far as all the bugs talk, Bethesda makes big open world games that are pretty complicated. They are bound to have bugs.

Making games where your character can jump over ankle high walls is complicated stuff that every open world game struggles with. Also, PS2 era lighting. Name another open world game with a worse lighting model.

Madman

I <3 Memes said:
Making games where your character can jump over ankle high walls is complicated stuff that every open world game struggles with. Also, PS2 era lighting. Name another open world game with a worse lighting model.
Couldn't tell ya, I haven't seen Skyrim.

Skyrim is the northernmost province of Tamriel, and is a cold and mountainous region. Although it is one of Tamriel's less hospitable provinces, it has been home to both elven and human civilization since time immemorial. It is currently inhabited by the human race of Nords. The Aldmer and Falmer occupied Skyrim until the late Merethic, when the final wave of Nordic immigration, led by Ysgramor, finally drove out the mer.

History

Skyrim is a rugged, ravaged place, the site of many past battles. The Nords believe that they were created here, on the mountain known as High Hrothgar. Settlers from Atmora made landfall here many times before claiming the region as their own. These spaced-out migrations often resulted in clashes with the Aldmer. "Out of this time also rose one of the most legendary of all Tamrielic figures, Ysgramor, from whom all Nordic kings are descended." [1] His clan expanded their territory, and it continued to expand and contract by winning and losing territories in Morrowind and High Rock. After quarrels from the rivalries of the Ysgramor clan however, Skyrim weakened and separated into multiple states during the War of Succession. Thenceforth it would only be united for brief periods. Skyrim engaged in multiple clashes with High Rock over its western Reach, a civil war involving The Wolf Queen of Solitude, an invasion of Cuhlecain's Cyrodiil, and wars with Hammerfell and High Rock during the Imperial Simulacrum.

Architecture

Skyrim's architecture is reflected in Bruma, situated in northern Cyrodiil. The buildings in Bruma are built partly underground to conserve heat, and are made with stones, with wood used only for support, and roofs of straw above the wood. These houses are essential to keep in heat in the freezing climate.

Politics

Redguards and Bretons are still giving resistance today, as The War of the Bend'r-mahk expanded Skyrim far into Hammerfell and High Rock. Resistance is mostly encountered in the cities of Jehenna and Elinhir, and of course, along the border to those provinces.

Economy

Skyrim is a powerful province, and thus has some wealthy areas. For example, "Solitude, always one of the richest and most influential counties in Skyrim, has grown ever more powerful, controlling much of the northern coastline following King Thian's alliance by marriage with Macalla, the Queen of Dawnstar. It has sought to expand its influence further by annexing several former Imperial fiefs, such as the island of Roscrea, ruled directly by the Emperor since Uriel V conquered it in the 271st year."[1] There are also influences from Morrowind, such as in the city of Winterhold, Solitude's rival, since refugees from Morrowind escape there, bringing new ideas, cultures, and stimulating the economy. However, Hrothgar and Whiterun, once places with powerful economies, have been crippled by floods, droughts, and fires, along with attacks from frost trolls and bandits. The area is now under the control of Jsashe, the leader of the local witches coven, and a self-proclaimed priestess of Lorkhan, although the area is still struggling.

Notable Places

Dawnstar
A city in the north of Skyrim.

Falkreath
A city in Southern Skyrim.

High Hrothgar
The famed mountain known as Snow-Throat, where the Greybeards live and Shor created man.

Markarth Side
A city in Western Skyrim.

Rifton
A city in Southeastern Skyrim.

Solitude
One of the most influential and wealthy counties in Skyrim, rival of Winterhold.
It is located in Northwestern Skyrim.

Whiterun
A city in Eastern Skyrim.

Windhelm
A city in Northeastern Skyrim.

Winterhold
A wealthy and influential county in Skyrim. It is heavily affected by Dunmer ways and ideas, being close to the border. It contains the Ysmir Collective, and the well known College of Winterhold. It is located in Northeastern Skyrim.

Morrowind influenced city confirmed

--------------

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_3rd_Edition/Skyrim

Tobor

Wallach said:
Up north, where the Nords come from. Where the race of man got their start, and showed the world that elves are bitches.
I'm going to have to roll Nord for my first character. Give me an axe and some fur armor, and let's do this!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Shame about it being on Gamebryo, seeing as that engine---and EGT---appears to be deader than than a doornail at this point. I suppose it might still be competitive on the consoles this time next year but it is already stale on PC.

it's time to speculate!

this in the trailer:
You should have acted.
They're already here.
The Elder Scrolls told of their return.
Their defeat was merely delay
Til the time after Oblivion opened,
When the sons of Skyrim would spill their own blood.
But no-one wanted to believe.
Believe they even existed.
And when the truth finally dawns:
It dawns in fire.
But,
There's one they fear.
In their tongue, he's Dovahkiin: Dragon Born!

Nordic religion:
The Nordic Akatosh is Alduin, a terrible, ravenous dragon who presides over the cycle of existence and devours the universe at intervals.

Dragons:
The Dragons are a rare (and often believed to be extinct) Akaviri race of large reptilian beasts capable of flight and the ability to create fire. Little is known about them beyond their remarkable intelligence and ability to communicate with Nedic visitors to Akavir years ago

Akavir's banner:
Akaviri_banner.jpg

TESV logo:
SY-icon-logo.jpg

Fate of the Nerevarine
According to rumors in Oblivion, the Nerevarine went on an expedition to Akavir, but has not been heard from since.

Wallach

Tobor said:
I'm going to have to roll Nord for my first character. Give me an axe and some fur armor, and let's do this!

I almost always play Nord anyway so I'm cool with this. Blunt weapons 4 lyfe, yo.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Excuse tHe ignorance but if mods can make the game what it should be doesnt thqt imply it is not the engines fault?

DMczaf

I should probably sit down and finally play Oblivion GOTY before 11/11/11. I have the 360 and PC versions, both untouched :lol

Santiako

Snuggler said:
Let's hope it can at least rival the zaniness of Blood Moon aka the best expansion ever made.

Blood Moon was amazing, the towns, the enemies, the snow everywhere, and being a Werewolf was soooooo awesome.

I hope we can become werewolves in Skyrim too.

Fitz

Santiako said:
Blood Moon was amazing, the towns, the enemies, the snow everywhere, and being a Werewolf was soooooo awesome.

I hope we can become werewolves in Skyrim too.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case, either that or maybe something new.

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
I can now confirm that the engine used in TES V is brand new. That said, may I humbly suggest a thread title change to "It's A New Engine, Stop Asking"?

Speevy

Banned
Please put static items and enemies in the game, Please put static items and enemies in the game, Please put static items and enemies in the game, Please put static items and enemies in the game,

Wallach

Ratsofatsorat said:
I can now confirm that the engine used in TES V is brand new. That said, may I humbly suggest a thread title change to "It's A New Engine, Stop Asking"?

S OF A B

arnoldhandshake.gif

Ratsofatsorat said:

Oh fucking A, now tell me you got a new combat system and you just sold me a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom