• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - November 11th, 2011 - [Update: New Engine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinGT

Banned
Merguson said:
Wonder if id Software had a hand in the new engine?

I read about the possibility of id Software lending some assets but I'm not sure if that is the case here.

Regardless, I'm interested. :D

No, Howard said id isn't really helping on the tech end. Outside of moral support, that is.

Speevy said:
So what was the reason the title was made "It's Gamebryo, stop asking" in the first place?

Because Howard said it was built on the same tech, back in August.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-bethesdas-todd-howard-interview

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Speevy said:
So what was the reason the title was made "It's Gamebryo, stop asking" in the first place?

NeoGAF moderator Nirolak was apparently convinced that it was going to be on Gamebryo. Now we must wait for him to correct his mistake.

I wouldn't mind a public apology as well.

Fitz

Speevy said:

Based on some previous quotes from Howard it seemed like it would be the same engine but just re-purposed. Which I still get the impression it will, but perhaps just upgraded to the point that it might as well be a new engine.

Totobeni said:
that Wiki list is not complete , Way of the Samurai 3 is also use Gamebryo

Yeah, that list is just a sample it seems.

Dennis

Banned
Snuggler said:
NeoGAF moderator Nirolak was apparently convinced that it was going to be on Gamebryo. Now we must wait for him to correct his mistake.

I wouldn't mind a public apology as well.
u gonna get banned

GhaleonEB said:
And I tried!

Fallout 3 seemed to fix a lot of this stuff. Murdering shopkeepers was lucrative enough that there was a shortage of them still alive near the end of my game. And actual good loot existed, as did more challenging areas of the world that I had to work to overcome. What's the view of the scaling system used in that game?
IMO for as much as Fallout 3 improved on Oblivion in regards to enemy scaling, New Vegas does it even better. Hopefully TESV takes note.

random comments:

-they keep saying they want to get better on the technical aspect of their games, and making them more stable. then they specifically speak of animations being better.

-not gamebryo, and they just acquired id, so tech5 maybe? would that help with animations? (don't know anything about animations and engines) "brand new engine" could mean anything from something that hasn't been used fully in a "real game" (no ipad mess) yet, such as tech5, or something completely new they made themselves. if they DID make it themselves, hopefully they took into consideration all of the gamebryo shortcomings and limitations. i would hate to see them model it closely for familiarity.

-as far as loading per town.... i guess i was the only one that played Oblivion? it loaded every town i entered. small loading time, sure, but it loaded. i don't remember morrowind doing that, in the small 20 minutes i played of it. but either way, i wasn't annoyed by Oblivion doing it. and there were still small 2-6 cottage "towns" that didn't need loading, as they had no walls etc. i'm sure it will be fine!

-DO WE KNOW IF THIS IS SINGLEPLAYER YET? not seeing any mention in the thread. if there's co-op, fine, but don't force me to have AI companions or in certain parts of the game (ie: forcing it to be so tough that you have no choice but to recruit someone). ES was highly regarded recently when us loners were defending SP gaming.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I <3 Memes said:
So what is the name of the new engine?

No one knows.

Right now, we have the trailer which hints at the premise. We have the title that tells us where it gon' be. We have a release date. We know it'll be a new engine.

That's about it, so for now I can only eagerly await more details.

Speevy

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
-as far as loading per town.... i guess i was the only one that played Oblivion? it loaded every town i entered. small loading time, sure, but it loaded. i don't remember morrowind doing that, in the small 20 minutes i played of it. but either way, i wasn't annoyed by Oblivion doing it. and there were still small 2-6 cottage "towns" that didn't need loading, as they had no walls etc. i'm sure it will be fine!.

You're not understanding. Towns were connected to the wilderness in Morrowind.

They were cut off in Oblivion.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'd be ok if the new engine doesn't make huge strides graphically. I just want a true seamless experience in regards to load times. Fallout: New Vegas left me soured by all the loading and the obnoxiously long fast travel loading.

GavinGT

Banned
Danielsan said:
Yes. Fuck fast travel. If you want to travel fast, walk to a town and catch a ride.

I fully agree with this, and it makes the experience feel much more organic. Although, if they're going to keep fast-travel, they really should provide more incentive to not use it. This might come down to simply condensing the world a bit - in Oblivion you're not really missing much when you don't walk (most of the time). It's just grass and trees, and occasionally a door to a cave that's identical to every other cave you find.

LCfiner

I think I’ll need to get a PC ready for this game when it hits.

I played Oblivion on 360 but a new engine is likely to have an even bigger delta in performance and “shiny, shiny” on a modern rig compared to the consoles.

_Bro

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
Fuck that, I want a draconic mount. None of this backseat from town to town bullshit.
GET DRUNK IN TAVERN
BACK SEAT DRAGON TAXI TO DUNGEON
MAKE FRIENDS WITH GOBLINS
SAVE TAMRIEL

Rad Agast

I'm reinstalling my Oblivion LCE now. It would be nice if Bethesda made the teaser trailer's song available for download. I can't wait a year for Skyrim's release.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
sheeit, I don't even need fast travel if I can get some levitation boots again

true pimps air walk to their destination

eso76

besides non-levelling enemies / loot all i ask for is;

interesting and varied scenery. Despite the huge advancements in graphics, Morrowind was a lot more interesting to wander through, even with the poor draw distance which severely hurt atmosphere and sense of scale.
you know what i'd like ? a tall menacing mountain/volcano in the middle of the map and visible from anywhere, with the top hidden in clouds/smoke. You're free to climb on it at any time but at the same time...you can't because monsters there will likely kick your ass until you're level 999.
Oh, that was in Morrowind already. Minus the visible from anywhere on the map part, since the draw distance was so poor :p

Larger creatures/bosses

I'd take less dungeons, as long as there's more variety.

dynamc shadows to go with day / night cycle

oh and yes, fast travel has to go.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Santiako said:
Bring back the Boots of Blinding Speed!

Haha, fuck yeah, I would use those with a levitation amulet and I could get anywhere fast

Plus, there was that set of chest armor that 100% blocked all magic so you could even remove the blindness

so awesome

oh yeah and bring back face tat's for Dark Elves~

RiverBed

Banned
I remember buying ES4 just for the graphics. It came out early this generation and it was the best looking game. I really want them to make one of the best looking games out there. Graphics for this kind of game really helps immerse you in the universe and make you want to explore every nook and cranny. :)

GavinGT

Banned
eso76 said:
besides non-levelling enemies / loot all i ask for is;

interesting and varied scenery.

Yes. Oblivion took its art style right out of the Middle Ages, and that's not what I want from an Elder Scrolls game. There's no reason their world should be inspired by ours - it should look completely different! Morrowind nailed this, with otherworldly buildings, trees, etc... I hope they do something similar to Morrowind but different.
Really, that's my base argument - everything should be similar to Morrowind but different.

New engine?

HJR04.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom