• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - November 11th, 2011 - [Update: New Engine]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ratsofatsorat said:
I can now confirm that the engine used in TES V is brand new. That said, may I humbly suggest a thread title change to "It's A New Engine, Stop Asking"?

I will be happy whatever the game runs on, but a new engine is great news.

GavinGT

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
That's true, but the nastiest bugs in Bethesda's games come from the quests, and those aren't really that hard to fix. What they need to do is hire more QA staff and allocate more time for bug fixing.

The truth is there are way too many combinations of quests to QA them all. A bug might be absent in one playthrough, because the player neglected to do an earlier quest or something, whereas the bug would be present in another playthrough for seemingly no reason. Really, the best thing to do would be to focus on squashing what bugs they can, and then including a way to enter console commands on the 360 and PS3 versions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
kL0Ld.png

shakyguy.gif

Speevy

Banned
I remember playing Morrowind for the first time, and being addicted to the game almost instantly. I could run around and get killed, nuke a shopkeeper from a distance, then go steal his entire inventory, raid a town with a group of summons, pickpocket the wrong fellow and get my ass killed for it, lure a ferocious beast into town and have the guards take care of it, break into someone's house and grab their precious weapon, it was beautiful.

None of that stuff was possible in Oblivion.

Dennis

Banned
Ratsofatsorat said:
I can now confirm that the engine used in TES V is brand new. That said, may I humbly suggest a thread title change to "It's A New Engine, Stop Asking"?
Can you say anything about the modability of the engine/Betshedas intentions in regards to enabling modding of TES V?

Nocebo

- New elder scrolls = Fuck yes! About time!
- New game engine = Fuck yes!
- Made to run on current gen consoles = slight disappointment.

kitzkozan

Lakitu said:
Interesting. This could be nice.

I am sure that it's going to be both better and bigger than Oblivion. :D Don't expect stellar writing or a super storyline however. :lol Realistically,I expect better graphics/art style,a better engine and a more involving combat system.

gstaff

We just wanted to clear the air on the engine. We'll have more details on the game soon.

Football's starting... gotta run

Dead Man

DennisK4 said:
Can you say anything about the modability of the engine/Betshedas intentions in regards to enabling modding of TES V?
Shit, hadn't thought of that. Gamebryo + mods > any engine - mods

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
I remember playing Morrowind for the first time, and being addicted to the game almost instantly. I could run around and get killed, nuke a shopkeeper from a distance, then go steal his entire inventory, raid a town with a group of summons, pickpocket the wrong fellow and get my ass killed for it, lure a ferocious beast into town and have the guards take care of it, break into someone's house and grab their precious weapon, it was beautiful.

I don't think we were playing the same game, because aside from the few immortal NPC's and the respawning guards, all of that was possible.

Maaseru

Banned
I personally love the announcement and can't wait for 11.11.11!!! New Engine too!!

But how long until the hate gets here? I mean this game has long been anticipated by everyone. Same wanting it some dreading it was an MMO , some dreading it was the same old engine etc, but now that the good news is here, how long until people start saying its complete and utter crap all from a CGI trailer? GAFers gonna Hate`

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Speevy said:

Getting the exact right sneak angle in a house so you could steal that precious weapon/spell or pick the lock :D without people noticing <3

Nocebo

ahoyhoy said:
I don't think we were playing the same game, because aside from the few immortal NPC's and the respawning guards, all of that was possible.
You're probably thinking of a different game.

Speevy

Banned
ahoyhoy said:

No, it wasn't. People had spoons in their houses, loot and creatures were scaling to your level, you couldn't find anything worth finding on anyone's corpse because of the scaling, towns were walled off so you couldn't be chased anywhere, summons were one and done, etc.

You definitely couldn't reap the benefits of murdering a shopkeeper.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
God, don't even get me started with Morrowind memories. We need a whole new thread for that.

With every playthrough, I would head up to Ghostgate as soon as I could. I would pull a little heist by breaking into the room with a stash of glass and ebony items, I'd cast a lock spell on the door to keep bitches out then after stealing the stuff I'd cast the scroll that teleports you back to a set location. Creeper would buy that shit for a premium and I'd power level my dude with the trainers at Vivec.

I want that kind of freedom in Skyrim.

...and now I want to play Morrowind again ASAP.

at least in Oblivion you can jump up on their inventory counters and knock all the items off, just to be a dick

Ledsen

Timber said:
That's a bizarre interpretation of that quote.

He's saying he knows they are crap at animation. If he knows that, why haven't they done anything about it since Morrowind? That's all I'm saying. The bit about hiring new people was just a sarcastic way of explaining why they never improve, but I guess it wasn't that clear :lol
especially since he mentions hiring new people in that same answer :O :O :O

Dead Man

Mr_Brit said:
:lol I would rather play vanilla ESV on Cryengine 3 than a heavily modded ESV on GameBryo.
Really? Fair enough, different strokes. I played Oblivion first on PS3, then bought it for PC after seeing some of the stuff modders were doing, I can't imagine playing without mods now. Bethesda have almost single handedly returned me to PC gaming just by having games that are mod friendly. Hell, even I can make simple mods, and that's saying something! :lol

Snuggler said:
God, don't even get me started with Morrowind memories. We need a whole new thread for that.

With every playthrough, I would head up to Ghostface as soon as I could. I would pull a little heist by breaking into the room with a stash of glass and ebony items, I'd cast a lock spell on the door to keep bitches out then after stealing the stuff I'd cast the scroll that teleports you back to a set location. Creeper would buy that shit for a premium and I'd power level my dude with the trainers at Vivec.

I want that kind of freedom in Skyrim.

...and now I want to play Morrowind again ASAP.
I've done a playthrough of Morrowind two summers in a row, but last summer I didn't even get a chance due to work and other priorities. :( I'm going to install it on my laptop, I think, and play on the train.

GhaleonEB

Speevy said:
No, it wasn't. People had spoons in their houses, loot and creatures were scaling to your level, you couldn't find anything worth finding on anyone's corpse because of the scaling, towns were walled off so you couldn't be chased anywhere, summons were one and done, etc.

And I tried!

Fallout 3 seemed to fix a lot of this stuff. Murdering shopkeepers was lucrative enough that there was a shortage of them still alive near the end of my game. And actual good loot existed, as did more challenging areas of the world that I had to work to overcome. What's the view of the scaling system used in that game?

GavinGT

Banned
ahoyhoy said:

In Oblivion, there were no areas with enemies of significantly higher level. There was no sense of risk in sneaking through a harder area, grabbing a few items, and making it out with your life. Likewise, there were no areas with weaker enemies, so you never felt like a badass. You couldn't lure enemies into towns, because you had to enter through a gate. Unlike Morrowind, you couldn't just go in and steal a weapon like the Sword of White Woe right away, because these weapons just weren't available for you to take at a lower level. Also, levitation was ripped out. And the dungeons weren't hand-built, but made using some type of Speed Dungeons software. They all looked the fucking same. They made a bunch of concessions, and I hope they back off on some for ESV.

The "towns load separately" thing is huge. It breaks the sense of immersion to have to sit through a long loading screen to enter a town. This one issue also cascaded into a bunch of others (can't lure enemies, can't levitate, and others I'm forgetting). Morrowind was able to stream all that shit. I bet you it was an issue with the 360 not having a HDD standard.....

Durante

GavinGT said:
The "towns load separately" thing is huge. It breaks the sense of immersion to have to sit through a long loading screen to enter a town. Morrowind was able to stream all that shit. I bet you it was an issue with the 360 not having a HDD standard.....
I'd guess it's more of a 512 MB ram issue. Which is one reason why it sucks that this is still on current consoles.

GavinGT

Banned
Man said:
What about the animation system?

Todd Howard talked about it in an interview in August. He said he knows it's one of their shortcomings and he's putting more focus on it this time around. He said they're hiring more people and focusing more on each individual element.

Durante said:
I'd guess it's more of a 512 MB ram issue. Which is one reason why it sucks that this is still on current consoles.

You're probably right, given the RAM required by decent textures these days.

Ledsen

Ratsofatsorat said:

Holy fuck! A round of Ultra Boost for everyone, it's on me!

Fitz

Durante said:
I wonder if the new engine will allow us to get Levitation back. (in vanilla that is)

I guess the question really will be if Towns are going to be instanced again.

Merguson

Banned
Wonder if id Software had a hand in the new engine?

I read about the possibility of id Software lending some assets but I'm not sure if that is the case here.

Regardless, I'm interested. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom