• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Played for about an hour and I get a solid 60fps @ 1440p at max settings. Running on an i7 6700K @ stock, 1070 @ 2100 MHz, and 16GB of memory. Character models definitely didn't see the same upgrade as the environments but it looks great still.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Same setup, I tried DSR 4k but it was kinda fluctuating in the mid 50's so locked it down to 1440p.

I turned the DoF all the way down in display settings in game since in screenshots between them it was making the distance too blurry imho with the janky AA being used.

And yeah character models did not get the love the environment got lol

Could anybody in the UK please confirm how much the bundle for regular Skyrim and all the DLC is on Steam right now? It won't show me the price as I own it all, but I want to find out for friends.

Truant

Does the built in mod menu auto-suggest load orders?

I have the following mods installed, in the following order:

Lore-Based Loading Screens
Unofficial Patch
Ars Metallica
Alternate Start
Marco's Integrated Leveled Lists
Open Cities Skyrim

I take it it loads top-to-bottom? Is this order OK?

Daft Bird

I checked out the Xbox One version briefly before turning in. Is the aspect ratio off for anybody else? Seemed like the screen was being cut off, based on the loading symbol on the bottom right, and my gamerpic on the upper left. Didn't see a way to adjust it in the options menu.
Off for me to, I can't find a way to adjust it either.

Corpekata

Banned
Does the built in mod menu auto-suggest load orders?

I have the following mods installed, in the following order:

Lore-Based Loading Screens
Unofficial Patch
Ars Metallica
Alternate Start
Marco's Integrated Leveled Lists
Open Cities Skyrim

I take it it loads top-to-bottom? Is this order OK?

Top is most important. You should almost certainly put the loading screens at the bottom. Patch should be the top. I'd probably put Open Cities below it, followed by leveled lists, ars, and alt start.

Lakitu

st5fu
Still debating to myself if I should get this. I don't have time to go through another massive RPG this year and Battlefield 1 is occupying my time but the other side is that I absolutely adore Skyrim and it's atmosphere.

Truant

Top is most important. You should almost certainly put the loading screens at the bottom. Patch should be the top. I'd probably put Open Cities below it, followed by leveled lists, ars, and alt start.

Thanks for the input. Having the loading screens be at the top of the load order seemed kinda logical to me, but maybe I'm not quite understanding how it all works.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Could anybody in the UK please confirm how much the bundle for regular Skyrim and all the DLC is on Steam right now? It won't show me the price as I own it all, but I want to find out for friends.
You could always go to the Steam website from a browser that isn't logged in

Cc23830

I love fallout 3 / NV / 4 and never played Skyrim. Wondering whether this warrants some of my £60 psn credit or try Witcher 3 as i need a game im going to put alot of hours in to now.

Drazgul

Actually it's the opposite, in the sense that the mods at the bottom of the list will override mods at the top if there's a conflict so technically they're the most "important". But it's true that the unofficial patch needs to be at the top before anything else in most cases.

I love fallout 3 / NV / 4 and never played Skyrim. Wondering whether this warrants some of my £60 psn credit or try Witcher 3 as i need a game im going to put alot of hours in to now.
Skyrim is way more like Fallout. People will tell you Witcher 3 is superior but honestly if you're looking for a similar experience to other Beth RPGs Witcher 3 is the furthest from it.

nacolucas

Neo Member
Yeah gonna wait until mods are out. I don't think I can touch Skyrim without even the basest things like the unofficial patches.

Plenty of mods already out. Bathesda gave early copies to several of the biggest modders so they could start porting in their stuff.
Unofficial patch is up too.

Staf

Can't wait to play this when i get home from work. Not sure what build i should go with though. It's either going to be pure mage or sneaky assassin.

I'm like 80 hours into The Witcher 3 and still grabbed Skyrim lol, I'm screwed. The Witcher has a much better story, and well everything really. Skyrim on the other hand let's you be whatever class/race you want, play how you want.

They are both massive games, so either way you wouldn't be dissapointed. The Witcher 3 has a ton more polish though and from the sounds of it many bugs in the original Skyrim still haven't been fixed on the Remaster, so on that front The Witcher 3 would come out ahead.

They are both GOTY material from their year launched, Skyrim is just much older, and well Bethesda likes to have modders fix their mistakes lol

Taker34

Banned
Skyrim is way more like Fallout. People will tell you Witcher 3 is superior but honestly if you're looking for a similar experience to other Beth RPGs Witcher 3 is the furthest from it.
I can confirm that, it was the opposite situation with me as I played all The Elder Scrolls and didn't touch Fallout for a long time and of course I ended up loving it because both games have fairly similar gameplay.
The Witcher 3 on the other hand... I wanted to love it... I really tried... but I can't. Noooo! :-(
:-'(

Bod

Neo Member
Just messing around installing some skyrim mods on the enhanced edition, and mods like cbbe, apachi hair, closer quivers seem to work fine. Obviously u should wait till official updates.
If just messing around for a bit it's good to see what works already.

You can tell they've really gone for the ENB look by making the DOF fade in time low as hell. I wouldn't mind this if it wasn't garbage quality DOF, but oh well.

I can confirm that, it was the opposite situation with me as I played all The Elder Scrolls and didn't touch Fallout for a long time and of course I ended up loving it because both games have fairly similar gameplay.
The Witcher 3 on the other hand... I wanted to love it... I really tried... but I can't. Noooo! :-(
:-'(
Yeah I just couldn't enjoy Witcher 3. I played a lot of it too, just never had that urge to continue.

Taker34

Banned
Yeah I just couldn't enjoy Witcher 3. I played a lot of it too, just never had that urge to continue.
We should force ourselves to continue one day, at least I managed to play about 15-20 hours before I realized it wasn't for me... How about watching Shia LaBeouf's motivational video? We can just do it!

We should force ourselves to continue one day, at least I managed to play about 15-20 hours before I realized it wasn't for me... How about watching Shia LaBeouf's motivational video? We can just do it!
Haha I can't! Its so pretty, I'd rather just look at it! I completed the excellent Baron side quest and called it a day. There's just so much to do and take in, it's overhwleming.

Also the fact we can't make our own character... as awesome as Fantasy Wolverine is.

Is it just me, or did they change the position of your hands/weapons in the screen?

Hands look much closer/bigger and fill a bigger portion of the screen. Can I change that? I'm on PC.

Can't start a new game. Press on the "New" button and then the menu faded (logo stays) but nothing happens.

Anybody else got this? PC of course

Drazgul

Can't start a new game. Press on the "New" button and then the menu faded (logo stays) but nothing happens.

Anybody else got this? PC of course

I'd try playing with the settings first, enable/disable vsync, try fullscreen instead of borderless windowed etc.

Does the game load if you open the console in the main menu and type "coc qasmoke"?

Anyone in the U.K. Know how much GAME are charging for the PS4 or X1 versions in store? They are selling for £35 online, but I'd rather have it today.
I've got a voucher for them so I want to use it there if the price is right.

Lord Phol

Bought the hearthfire dlc last night so I would get this for free. Check the store page today and it seems like the game is a mess (shouldn't be suprised). This thread seems to verify that as well. Think I'll wait with my 2nd playthrough until this and the mods are sorted out. I still have a lot of Witcher 3 to play anyways.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Gee Bethesda it sure as fuck is hard to code in dynamic controller switching isn't it? That I have to fucking wait until I have control over my character to switch to mouse and keyboard, lest I unplug my gamepad, is so fucking dumb. Off to a great start.

Edit: Lol, look like 1/5th as good as the Witcher 3, run at about 1/5th the framerate. Not really but yeah. Why the fuck is this double buffered? Why the fuck is double buffering enforced even in borderless mode? Who the fuck thinks double buffered vsync is a good idea and how the fuck cant I keep a locked 60 in a glorified 360 port?

Hmm really want to get this, but I can't justify paying £40 for a version with inferior mods, plus if the semi-mythical-maybe-maybe not Nintendo Switch version ever surfaces it'll have the added benefit of portable play.

Theosmeo

HD version looks like it's been dipped in Vaseline

I wasn't gunna get it anyways though, boycotting Bethesda after their scummyness earlier this week

Coxy100

Banned
Oh sweet, got £10 refunded back into my wallet for my PSN preorder since they've dropped it to £39.99.

eh? You paid £50 ? (or were going to)

Jesus dude... digital prices are nuts in the UK. I paid £32 (physical) and still felt a little robbed paying that much for an old game (but one I love).

PnCIa

First things i noticed:
How far we got with AA technology. God bless TAA.
And close combat doesnt feel exactly...good. It didnt seem to be so horrible back then, times have changed.

honestly i don't really mind vanilla skyrim but i can't believe how much i grew used to skyui

hopefully it becomes compatible asap. this default ui is ROUGH

I am really underwhelmed by the remaster work here. The texture updates mostly look like quick and dirty upres and sharpen jobs. The volumetric effects and god rays are very nice, but they only serve to better light really ancient models and textures - much like a lot of garish ENB mods over the years, the overall look is just lipstick on a pig. Everything that truly needed overhauling: the ghoulish character models, the quaint animation, the mashy combat system - all that's still here. It would have been nice to at least see some, I dunno, PBR for materials considering how much metal, wood, and cloth you're staring at in this game constantly.

I feel like even console-only folks who never dabbled in the PC version upgrading from PS3/360 are going to feel a little burnt by this thing. There's just nothing here that looks good aside from the sun coming in through the trees sometimes.

Cv2IQb1VYAE_nt0.jpg:large

leng jai

I am really underwhelmed by the remaster work here. The texture updates mostly look like quick and dirty upres and sharpen jobs. The volumetric effects and god rays are very nice, but they only serve to better light really ancient models and textures - much like a lot of garish ENB mods over the years, the overall look is just lipstick on a pig. Everything that truly needed overhauling: the ghoulish character models, the quaint animation, the mashy combat system - all that's still here. It would have been nice to at least see some, I dunno, PBR for materials considering how much metal, wood, and cloth you're staring at in this game constantly.

I feel like even console-only folks who never dabbled in the PC version upgrading from PS3/360 are going to feel a little burnt by this thing. There's just nothing here that looks good aside from the sun coming in through the trees sometimes.

Animations were never getting updated, but NPCs really should have. Not like they're amazing in Fallout 4 either though.

Lanrutcon

That screenshot looks horrible.

Top Bottom