• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Any mods for better gamepad controls like favourite key bindings. I used one in the regular version and it was absolutely necessary. Can't remember its name.

Staf

Completely disagree. For me hearing the character talk adds immersion . If they can't talk it destroys the immersion and reminds you you're playing a game and all you can do is just select some txt on the screen.

GTA was so much better after '3' when your character could talk - I would always choose a voiced protagonist over a silent one...

Agree with you on the case of GTA. But if they give me the option of deciding what the character says in dialogue sequences then i don't want to hear it. Even worse, i don't want to be surprised by choosing something from a list or a wheel/square-whatever then he/she goes on spouting something different. I can never get into the main characters in games such as Fallout 4, Mass effect/Dragon age since i constantly get surprised by him/her.

Unvoiced protagonist + dialogue options = Voiced protagonist + no dialogue options >> Voiced protagonist + dialogue options >>>>> Voiced protagonist + vague dialogue options

Staf

Fuck it. I am buying it tomorrow. The Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC sound amazing.

I played them on PS3 so given that you play them endgame the performance was horrible. Still, i really really loved them. Especially Dawnguard.

I'm stuck on what race to be!

I tried a wood elf but I couldn't make him look very good. Tempted to be a Khajit but I fear I may just be a boring Nord or Imperial.

So I've decided to be a thief. Which weapons should I use at the beginning? Any tips for skills?

Weapons are down to personal preference, but definitely try a bow. Most players love how they feel, and the extra skill involved.

For skills, you'll love a perk called Extra Pockets in the Pickpocket skill line. Unlocks at rank 50 which you can reach without too much hassle by thieving around towns, and it increases your carrying capacity by 100. That's really useful for any playstyle, will be of huge use in the early game since carry capacity is usually tied to stamina (so doesn't increase much until end game), and it's invaluable when you're stealing everything you can lay your hands on =D

Is it too late to trade up to this if you got legendary edition on steam?

It was an automagic upgrade. If you already owned the Legendary Edition (or standard game with all DLC bought separately) then the Special Edition has been added to your Steam library already. The deadline for that was yesterday, so too late if you don't own already it.

Weapons are down to personal preference, but definitely try a bow. Most players love how they feel, and the extra skill involved.

For skills, you'll love a perk called Extra Pockets in the Pickpocket skill line. Unlocks at rank 50 which you can reach without too much hassle by thieving around towns, and it increases your carrying capacity by 100. That's really useful for any playstyle, will be of huge use in the early game since carry capacity is usually tied to stamina (so doesn't increase much until end game), and it's invaluable when you're stealing everything you can lay your hands on =D

Thanks, sounds good :)

tim1138

Not a good look on Xbone, the game is stuck at the naming screen. Prisoner stays highlighted but once I try to select a letter the on screen keyboard stops working.

-edit-

Going back to the dashboard, coming back into the game and finalizing it from the race screen was the only way to proceed.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This question might have been asked a couple of times but;

I played Skyrim on the PS3 without having played all the DLC. I never could finish the game because of the bug riddled mess it was. I probably played around 100 hours before giving up.

Should I just go get this for 49,- or wait till it is on sale? I loathed Fallout 4. It's just not my cup of tea but Elder Scrolls always has a special place in my heart.
My situation is the same. Fallout 4 had ok atmosphere but was painfully dull. I'm not a huge fantasy fan or even a RPG fan in general but Skyrim is something special IMO. The exploration is still wonderful and it is so atmospheric . The soundtrack is beautiful. I'm loving revisiting it! (On PC fwiw)

bjork

Got maybe an hour or so in? I fiddled with the character creator for awhile in hopes of making a dude that looked like Golgo 13, but I finally just made a lizard woman and off I went.

I tried using the twitch feature on xbox one, and I kinda don't like that it snaps and shrinks your game screen. I know you can click it off, but then you can't read the chat. Not that I had anyone watching, but if I did, it would be nice to respond or whatever.

Anyway, it seems like the same Skyrim I remember so far, but it's been a few years since I replayed it, so that's okay by me.

So I've died ten times in a row in the first real dungeon against three Draugr. Weapons (I have a sword and a mace) do no damage, shield is useless... WHAT THE FUCK

edit: Oh shit, sneaking works

TheContact

So does skyrimprefs.ini not do anything anymore? I'm trying to lower the sensitivity but it's so freaking high (already moved the slider down as far as possible) so editing the .ini to set it even lower did absolutely nothing. I deleted skyrimprefs.ini and started the game up and the file wasn't even re-created. what the hell?

So I've died ten times in a row in the first real dungeon against three Draugr. Weapons (I have a sword and a mace) do no damage, shield is useless... WHAT THE FUCK

edit: Oh shit, sneaking works

Did you check the difficulty settings? Adept is the standard difficulty when you start and can be pretty tough.

So everyone, I'd recommend disabling the Unofficial Patch until it gets its issues sorted out. Right now it causes Z-fighting, floating creation kit markers and issues with the water shader. Turning it off solved all of that.

The game looks amazing. Anyone who says it's the same as vanilla Skyrim must be crazy.
vKpoMir.jpg

TYjDlMQ.jpg

Prototype

Fuck it. I am buying it tomorrow. The Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC sound amazing.
They were both good, you get an awesome Follower in Dawnguard and Dragonborn is just flat out incredible- I really liked this one in particular.
You're in for a treat if you've never play it before.

takriel

sneaking archer ftw, still the best option after all these years.

any tips on how to quickly level up these two stats in particular?

Helscream

Banned
Waiting to get my PS4 Pro before I give this game another go. Played Skyrim originally on PS3. And what a mess it was. Hopefully the Special Edition will run smoothly.

TheContact

Not understanding this at all. The game looks exactly like normal skyrim does and editing skyrimprefs.ini does nothing at all. I uninstalled original skyrim to see if it was conflicting or something but it didn't do anything.
(i7-6700k with gtx 1070) all settings maxed out

GHG

Gold Member
now move closer to those character models

Honestly, all this needs is some character model mods and I'll be good to go. Very happy with the lighting changes and the DOF implementation. It's a lot more coherent than any ENB has ever been for me.

We need a new mod thread. Anyone? I suck at making threads.

Yes please. I can't spend my life digging around on nexus.

Vuze

Honestly, all this needs is some character model mods and I'll be good to go. Very happy with the lighting changes and the DOF implementation. It's a lot more coherent than any ENB has ever been for me.
Yeah same. Maybe some better textures and bokeh DOF but I also like the lightning and general style.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
btw I use that mod for muscle, not the actual shlongs themselves

that feel when you can't run around as a musclebound argonian

So is there a barebones UI mod while SkyUI is not yet available?

Jumping back in after a few years really highlights for me how much of a better game the witcher 3 is in almost every aspect.

For me the only area I'd say the Witcher 3 has it beat is in writing. Witcher 3 has some of the best writing out there for games, and Skyrim has Bethesda's writers. Aside from that I'd go with Skyrim in pretty much every other category. Although they're pretty close in many.

Jumping back in after a few years really highlights for me how much of a better game the witcher 3 is in almost every aspect.

I can't agree with that at all. Graphics are obviously better on Witcher 3, but the 3rd person view alone makes it less immersive than Skyrim. I just don't feel like I'm roleplaying in Witcher 3.

TheContact

So does skyrimprefs.ini not do anything anymore? I'm trying to lower the sensitivity but it's so freaking high (already moved the slider down as far as possible) so editing the .ini to set it even lower did absolutely nothing. I deleted skyrimprefs.ini and started the game up and the file wasn't even re-created. what the hell?

quoting myself because I figured out the problem in case anyone looks at this and was having the same issue. I was editing the skyrimprefs.ini located in the steamapps/common/skyrim folder but the one that is used is actually located in documents/my games/skyrim

For me the only area I'd say the Witcher 3 has it beat is in writing. Witcher 3 has some of the best writing out there for games, and Skyrim has Bethesda's writers. Aside from that I'd go with Skyrim in pretty much every other category. Although they're pretty close in many.

Pretty much how I feel about it.

I wish. I'm waiting for a way to turn off my compass on the Xbone.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Self quote as I was post 100:
Does anyone know whether there is an xbone mod that removes spiders? I'm asking for a friend.

When Skyrim came out on 11-11-11 it had a ton of compition around that date. CoD MW3 came out a mere 3 days, AC Rev was 3 days after, BF3 a week and a half before but it was Skyrim that devoured my time. A huge open world with thousands of things to do, builds to try and enemies to over come. I put something like 400 hours into the game the first time so I was a bit hesitant to repurchase, but after getting a small bonus at work that would cover 95% of the cost I bit the bullet.

Wow. The game is even better than I remember honestly. But also a tad harder than I remember. I have died a few times (Playing a sneak archer until I can get some good conjuring spells then I'm going summoner archer which was my favorite build from Diablo 2 many moons ago) but I've never felt angry. I've always had to adjust my playstyle, do something a tad outside of the box or look at the situation more like a puzzle and use my surroundings. For instance (the following isn't from a story or even side mission but will mark spoilers anyways)
I found a fort while I was out exploring. I cleared the entire place out until finally I cam across the head guy. A Bandit Highwayman, a Khajit that clearly had a blood lust and was ready to murder anything that came into his little chapel of training.
He killed me easily 4 or 5 times before I managed to get him and when I did I felt accomplished. There was no achievement the guy didn't even have a name but he had beat me to death multiple times and I finally got him. Great feelings!!

Quantum

I couldn't get into the witcher - I've tried. I spent 8 hours and found the combat clunky and the traversal (horseback) boring.

I have fond memories of skyrim - and while I think the combat is clunkier, I really enjoy the atmosphere. the traversal - in my opinion is so much more fun - I keep running into random things and get lost and just do whatever.

I never really felt that way with the witcher.

I certainly respect that everyone loves the witcher, but it just didn't click with me - I really wanted it to as well.

I'm also biased in the sense that I owned the original daggerfall - if memory serves coming out around the time of meridian 59 - and while those two games are now outdated - they still live in my memory as some of the best games I've ever played.

skyrim to me just feels - in a way - that I'm making my own story while the witcher never reached the point where I felt like I was in control of what I was doing - like reading a novel instead of writing one.

peronmls

Alright. So I cant load my save because I have the unofficial skyrim mod and bash mod. Can I not mod these out? Did they say this could be an issue before they released it?

First elder scrolls game and character. (Unfinished)

Shoogoo

Is anyone else struggling with mods?

How many mods should I have activated at the same time?

I'm new at this, and it's a bit daunting. I have 5 now, and the game crashes regularly.

Yep, SkyUI.

Download version 2.2 from the Nexus page and you'll have the mod's inventory and trade menus working perfectly. Well, almost perfectly. You'll have an error message saying SKSE can't be detected in the top corner, but there is a solution to this. Not sure it's 100% allowed so I won't link here. Someone has modified the file to simply remove the error message and then re-uploaded it, but technically that counts as mod theft so it's all a grey area.

Is there a point to playing the PC version if you already have vanilla version modded up at 4k?

If your vanilla version is completely stable, then no. And even if it isn't stable you still have access to a much wider variety of mods while we're waiting on an SKSE update.

Long term the Special Edition will be the obvious choice though. No 4GB RAM limit, better lighting and water reflections, rain and snow occlusion, so quite a few things mods couldn't quite fix.

playXray

I can't agree with that at all. Graphics are obviously better on Witcher 3, but the 3rd person view alone makes it less immersive than Skyrim. I just don't feel like I'm roleplaying in Witcher 3.

I barerly consider The Witcher 3 to be a role-playing game. Great game, but not much role playing for me. Skyrim on the other hand...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yep, SkyUI.

Download version 2.2 from the Nexus page and you'll have the mod's inventory and trade menus working perfectly. Well, almost perfectly. You'll have an error message saying SKSE can't be detected in the top corner, but there is a solution to this. Not sure it's 100% allowed so I won't link here. Someone has modified the file to simply remove the error message and then re-uploaded it, but technically that counts as mod theft so it's all a grey area.

I'll try that one then.

Were they not among the people given early copies? Or are they waiting for the creation kit?

ResoRai

Yeah, I didn't mind the voiced protagonist in FO4, the issue I had was with the terrible dialogue choice screen. Knowing entirely what you're going to say in Skyrim is infinitely better than having to guess at intent like in FO4
Yeah I waited for mods to come to console before actually getting into Fallout 4.
The full diaologue interface mod is a blessing.

Top Bottom