• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

While I'm really enjoying myself, I fucking hate that Dawnguard can't be disabled and I'm forced to do it now or risk losing some important NPC's. Currently about to go through Blackreach for the Oghma Infinium and it's too early for this place.

Staf

It's hard not to compare this to Fallout 4, especially considering it was the last game i played before this. One thing Skyrim does soooo much better than Fallout 4 is loot. Every time i come upon one of those big chest in Skyrim i get excited. They are usually filled with a couple of magic items that are often, not always, useful. Similar chests in Fallout 4 i often skipped even opening because they were usually filled with ammo and normal weapons. Even the legendary drops from creatures in Fallout 4 didn't do much for me since the prefix you got was so damn boring and useless.

I've never played the DLC. How do I start them? Especially the one where you can build your own house.

Oh, and what's the recommended level for the DLC?

edit: Playing as a thief is amazing btw

While I'm really enjoying myself, I fucking hate that Dawnguard can't be disabled and I'm forced to do it now or risk losing some important NPC's. Currently about to go through Blackreach for the Oghma Infinium and it's too early for this place.

Can you explain? I'll gladly read spoiler tags. I don't wanna miss out on a bunch of stuff and in all the time I spent with OG Skyrim I didn't play dawnguard more than a few hours.

Taker34

Banned
I've never played the DLC. How do I start them? Especially the one where you can build your own house.

Oh, and what's the recommended level for the DLC?

edit: Playing as a thief is amazing btw

DLCs get unlocked about level 5-10 irrc and someone will approach you somewhere with a letter and the starting quest will unlock.

Dragonborn should be played with level 20+ while Dawnguard should be possible to do somewhere around level 10-15.

You'll know when Dawnguard starts: a guy literally approaches you and tells you to join up.

Dragonborn starts after you've completed 'The Way of the Voice', I think. You'll come upon some Cultists of Miraak traveling across Skyrim.

Hearthfire starts when you receive a letter from the Jarl, though you can pretty much start it manually by going to talk to one of them.

Can you explain? I'll gladly read spoiler tags. I don't wanna miss out on a bunch of stuff and in all the time I spent with OG Skyrim I didn't play dawnguard more than a few hours.

Dawnguard kicks off around level 10 and randomly spawns vampires that can randomly attack citizens, depriving you of valuable people like shopkeepers.

I used to play the PC version with a mod that would only kick off the Dawnguard questline once I'd beaten "Dragonslayer", but that mod doesn't seem to exist yet for the SE.

Once you reach level 10 Dawnguard kicks in (you can trigger it earlier) and
vampires start attacking randomly, not only you, but towns and cities as well. This can result in NPC's dying and failed quests because they can kill quest givers, merchants etc.

So the only solution is to do Dawnguard asap, travel there to start it instead of waiting for it to start and get it over with.
Also while doing it avoiding civilization as best you can because if you enter Whiterun for instance, they might be attacking it and they might kill an NPC.

strafer

You'll know when Dawnguard starts: a guy literally approaches you and tells you to join up.

Dragonborn starts after you've completed 'The Way of the Voice', I think. You'll come upon some Cultists of Miraak traveling across Skyrim.

Hearthfire starts when you receive a letter from the Jarl, though you can pretty much start it manually by going to talk to one of them.

aur jou the one they call draugenbaurn?

Truant

vampires start attacking randomly, not only you, but towns and cities as well. This can result in NPC's dying and failed quests because they can kill quest givers, merchants etc.

So the only solution is to do Dawnguard asap, travel there to start it instead of waiting for it to start and get it over with.
Also while doing it avoiding civilization as best you can because if you enter Whiterun for instance, they might be attacking it and they might kill an NPC.

I'm playing with Marco's Leveled Lists mod, and I got attacked by a vampire at level 4 in the woods :-V

The quest giver starts showing up at level 10, however, vampire attacks start the second you hit level 8. At the very least, they always spawn by the front door to holds, so just start swinging if it's after 8 pm. Best way to cheat this is to wait until around 6 am outside of holds and to never fast travel to them directly.

Holy shit...seriously? I heard someone talk about the Dawnguard RIGHT before I quit playing last night. Told me where to go I believe (I'm pretty sure i've gotten the quest) I havent been to any of the major places yet since i've just been exploring again So i'm going to do that as soon as I get off work. I didn't know that it could break your quests and crap like that. Can it actually F' you where you can't complete main story quests?

EDIT Above poster can I cheese it and never have it be night? Like if I wait every time it gets to be before 8pm until it's sunup can I actually avoid it until I can complete this thing?

Truant

Holy shit...seriously? I heard someone talk about the Dawnguard RIGHT before I quit playing last night. Told me where to go I believe (I'm pretty sure i've gotten the quest) I havent been to any of the major places yet since i've just been exploring again So i'm going to do that as soon as I get off work. I didn't know that it could break your quests and crap like that. Can it actually F' you where you can't complete main story quests?

No, I think it's only shitty b-tier quests like "Fetch me a mammoth's tusk". Plot critical NPC's can't die.

Cc23830

First ever play through of Skyrim on any system after playing fallout for most of the last 8 years. I finished opening stuff and turned to the mountain to find my way to the first village and fall maybe 5 feet. Gets stuck between some rocks and cannot jump or move.....

Yep its a bethesda game. Loads last checkpoint and is careful not to go near that bit again.

I'm playing with Marco's Leveled Lists mod, and I got attacked by a vampire at level 4 in the woods :-V

Don't worry, they're just attacking you because you stumbled on them, they're not actively seeking out towns yet.

The quest giver starts showing up at level 10, however, vampire attacks start the second you hit level 8. At the very least, they always spawn by the front door to holds, so just start swinging if it's after 8 pm. Best way to cheat this is to wait until around 6 am outside of holds and to never fast travel to them directly.

I don't trust this, I've had them attacking Dawnguard at 2pm on a sunny day, twice.

EDIT Above poster can I cheese it and never have it be night? Like if I wait every time it gets to be before 8pm until it's sunup can I actually avoid it until I can complete this thing?

I doubt it can mess up the main storyline, but it might mess up side quests. So I wouldn't risk it. Just google it and you'll see people mentioning certain NPC's getting killed and quests failed, etc etc.

Truant

I don't get the Witcher comparisons at all. They're totally different games. TW3 is a story based RPG with a pre-defined PC, that just happens to take place in an open world. Skyrim is a huge RPG sandbox where you can be whoever you want to be. They're both great, but for different reasons.

rocK`

Banned
I was so sure that when they announced this, they said PC gamers would get this for free if they owned Skyrim.

Am I remembering incorrectly? is this worth getting if I do have original skyrim and can just load up mods?

Truant

I was so sure that when they announced this, they said PC gamers would get this for free if they owned Skyrim.

Am I remembering incorrectly? is this worth getting if I do have original skyrim and can just load up mods?

It will be/was free for a limited period if you owned Skyrim + all the expansions, or the Legendary Edition.

And yes, vanilla SE looks significantly better than vanilla LE. Plus, it's 64-bit and has TAA support.

Not all mods have been ported over, but this is the definitive version for PC owners.

strafer

Is Faendel still a creep in the Special Edition? Does he still show up at your house if you marry Camilla?

I remember in the vanilla version I married Camilla and then one night he just showed up outside my house, I was like dude, get the fuck outta here.

Man.. this game got it's hooks on me again, after like 250 hours and maybe 5-6 chars

Started a new Nord, going barbarian. 2 handed, light armor, maybe pick up something from alteration for buffs. Started as a Stormcloak soldier (using Alternate Start), never done that quest line

Game is gorgeous even without mods

59570B35DCC838F26F81374721384C9E1C40A6A6

Ok, so I need a little help. Some of the screen is stretched out where I can't see some of the text when it pops up, how can I adjust this? I can't find anything obvious in the settings unless I'm overlooking something.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What makes you think they aren't working on it? I haven't seen anything that makes me assume this.

A couple of days ago they came right out and said their are 2 big projects ahead of the next elder scrolls, it is NOT in active development and nor would it be for a long time.

Eeeeeeugggh I know I shouldn't want this. I've spent hundreds of hours in Skyrim. The PS4 version doesn't have mods fully. It's overpriced.

But man I have such fond memories of the base game. It was truly a wonderful title. I think I let GAF's general dislike of BethRPGs sour me a little, but I loved it so much. My grumpy, but good hearted Orc dual-wielder trying to escape people's prejudices against him to save Skyrim. Fallout 4 didn't allow for that sort of roleplaying.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Why is everyone in Riverwood attacking me. I'm gone a day or two and when I come back, everyone wants me dead on sight!

I'm only a few hours in. Installed about 1GB of mods (no crazy stuff) on Xbone.

Is this happening to anyone else?

GHG

Gold Member
Why is everyone in Riverwood attacking me. I'm gone a day or two and when I come back, everyone wants me dead on sight!

I'm only a few hours in. Installed about 1GB of mods (no crazy stuff) on Xbone.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Did you kill an animal there? Or steal anything?

I killed a chicken and everyone there went apeshit on me. So I just reloaded a previous save because I didn't want to have to deal with that crap.

I don't remember that ever happening in vanilla Skyrim for something so minor...

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Did you kill an animal there? Or steal anything?

I killed a chicken and everyone there went apeshit...

lol

I've committed no crimes. Haven't really done anything yet. I got the golden claw for the dude then left. Came back on my way to Orphan Rock and the whole place is in an uproar!

I'm sure loading a previous save will work, I just wonder if this is a bug (and nothing to do with mods), I've never seen anything like it before.

Edit: Yep, everything is fine in a save from an hour previous. I hadn't really done anything in between those saves though. Weird.

lol

I've committed no crimes. Haven't really done anything yet. I got the golden claw for the dude then left. Came back on my way to Orphan Rock and the whole place is in an uproar!

I'm sure loading a previous save will work, I just wonder if this is a bug (and nothing to do with mods), I've never seen anything like it before.

Edit: Yep, everything is fine in a save from an hour previous. I hadn't really done anything in between those saves though. Weird.

I'm pretty sure this happened to me on the 360 version. It goes back to normal if you wait a few days or so, I think.

Top Bottom