• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

RK9039

Game has a really soft, low res look while maxed out.
N8HOLrv.jpg

Fuck.. I shouldn't have bothered installing this.

DOWN

Banned
People saying the textures aren't better don't remember vanilla skyrim. They're for sure better than even what the hi-res pack had.
Yeah Bethesda said the Special Edition textures are higher quality than the original High Res pack so it's weird someone said they are the same

kris.

Banned
Yeah Bethesda said the Special Edition textures are higher quality than the original High Res pack so it's weird someone said they are the same

most. there are some textures that clearly didn't get touched. the cages in the torture room of helgen keep look like straight ass compared to everything else. it's jarring to see. i just got outside tho and this game is damn pretty.

8E64C07746770D2C16FB331468BCCAE4D5F6DFC7

Bod

Neo Member
Of course this looks bad to people who have been using enb and graphic mods.
Once this version gets fully modded up i am sure it will look amazing.

Patrick S.

Banned
Trying to register at Bethesda.net so I can check out mods, but the account confirmation mail doesn't arrive. Retried three times already, nothing :(

Many people on GAF were claiming the game lost its original color palette and is more orange now, but that's bs

The game is more orange in the evening than before, but morning and daytime look close to the original colors

Yeah, it looks like Skyrim alright. Don't quite understand the complaints either. Maybe that's just a bad shot from Bethesda.

Vanilla SE is already looking pretty good. Let's see if mods and ENB can further enhance it.

Wallach

980 Ti here, been a totally locked 60 throughout the intro out to Whiterun.

Looked fucking ace, as an aside. Pretty massive upgrade over vanilla, especially the lighting and shadows. Holy cow.

Edit - BTW that "softness" is the TAA, just like with Fallout 4. You'll notice it is worse when moving your camera, and seems to go away when still.

Silky fucking smooth (except for looking back at Riverun, ever so slight drops), love the new god rays, not sure if the textures are equal or a weird mix of the same or some worse than the high res pack that came out for PC, TAA looks great on foliage but there is a bit of a soft look to the overall image, new foliage types by the looks of it ? Also a red tinge at sun down ? Water looks a bit different ? Yup time for another 150 hours of Skyrim !

hlhbk

980 Ti here, been a totally locked 60 throughout the intro out to Whiterun.

Looked fucking ace, as an aside. Pretty massive upgrade over vanilla, especially the lighting and shadows. Holy cow.

Edit - BTW that "softness" is the TAA, just like with Fallout 4. You'll notice it is worse when moving your camera, and seems to go away when still.

Meh the graphical upgrade is barely noticeable maxed out compared to the vanilla old pc version. No point of installing this version.

Nibiru

Banned
Runs like a dream but I have a 980ti. Character models are ass but mods will fix that. The little I have seen looks amazing though. I haven't played the game in quite awhile I forgot how much I loved it.

Wallach

Meh the graphical upgrade is barely noticeable maxed out compared to the vanilla old pc version. No point of installing this version.

I have many hundreds of hours into the vanilla PC version of this game and am talking about the PC version of SE. It's not even close without mods.

Zia

I have many hundreds of hours into the vanilla PC version of this game and am talking about the PC version of SE. It's not even close without mods.

Sucks about the poor performance some are experiencing but the upgrade from vanilla is huuuuuuuuge.

Does the SE fix the jaggy distant mountains/planes issue? I forget exactly what that was called, but it was really annoying last time I modded Skyrim up.

And SE will be worth it in the end just for the upgrade to 64-bit. Will be able to do much more in terms of mods, but of course all the older mods will need to be ported over.

hlhbk

You must have not maxed it out then. I am very underwhelmed by the lack of effort in this "upgrade".

I will wait for mods to fix what Bethesda should have.

Huh, I noticed some of the mods in the lists used to require SKSE in the original game.

Wonder if Bethesda extended the scripting systems for SE or if the makers of those mods decided to work around SKSE for making their XB1 compatible versions.

Mailbox

Played until I got to whiterun (will play more later tomorrow)
Overall, I like it. A LOT smoother than vanilla Skyrim and looks better to boot. It reminds me the look the game has with a performance enb and some minor texture mod or clutter added in. The fact that it feels smoother and more consistent is a huge plus too. Excited for mods in the coming weeks :)
edit: fyi I'm playing on a 970 and a i5 6600k

You may wanna play the vanilla old pc version again. Shit looks like ass. This at least looks passable to play. Its not great, but its a vast improvement over vanilla

Ice9

Learned about this late, but the only DLC I was missing was Dragonborn - so I just purchased that.

Now, where can I find the SE in my library? I have restarted a few times but no dice...

Orion514

So, i'm on a 980 Ti & i7 4790k.

I'm getting horrible fps drops down to 8 fps. Like one time when you get out into the open world for the first time. I walk down that road and it goes 8 fps for like 15s while i run in circles looking around. Then all of a sudden goes back up to 70+ fps for a bit, then back down to consistant 8. Does this less indoors it seems.This is very weird. This game should run no problem on ultra on my rig.

Not seeing anyone else having this issue anywhere on the internet that i've seen. About to drop some settings and see if that helps.

I got a call saying my pre-order will be available tomorrow, so I'm going to pick it up when the store opens. I look forward to playing through Skyrim again, although I would prefer a Fallout 3 remaster.

(I'm not rushing to the store to be there when it opens. I was asked to take my Grandmother to an appointment at 8am, so I'll likely pull an all-nighter then sleep when I get home. If things work out, we'll be able to stop at the store when it opens at 10am.)

Wallach

So, i'm on a 980 Ti & i7 4790k.

I'm getting horrible fps drops down to 8 fps. Like one time when you get out into the open world for the first time. I walk down that road and it goes 8 fps for like 15s while i run in circles looking around. Then all of a sudden goes back up to 70+ fps for a bit, then back down to consistant 8. Does this less indoors it seems.This is very weird. This game should run no problem on ultra on my rig.

Not seeing anyone else having this issue anywhere on the internet that i've seen. About to drop some settings and see if that helps.

If you're on W10, see if that Xbox Game DVR shit was turned on with the anniversary update. I had some fuckery going on with games like Diablo 3 until I figured out they did me a "favor" installing that garbage and enabling it without saying so.

Xbox app -> Settings (gear icon left sidebar) -> Game DVR tab -> disable entirely.

ultrazilla

So how do you get the special edition to show up? I have the game and all DLC and its not showing up in my library.

It should be in your Steam library. Make sure you check your other non installed, non favorite game areas. If not, go to your Skyrim steam page and again make sure you have ALL the DLC purchased.

I should add this was only for PC players. If you had the original console versions, you don't get this for free. Sorry. I don't think
it's fair for the console folks. If not free, make it super cheap like $5 or even a $1

Trying to play it output to my TV over HDMI makes it hang on the Bethesda logo every single time. What a fucking joke. So glad I got this for free.

EDIT: For other people who might have this problem in the future, put it on borderless window (which you probably should do anyway)...still, completely incomprehensible.

Orion514

If you're on W10, see if that Xbox Game DVR shit was turned on with the anniversary update. I had some fuckery going on with games like Diablo 3 until I figured out they did me a "favor" installing that garbage and enabling it without saying so.

Xbox app -> Settings (gear icon left sidebar) -> Game DVR tab -> disable entirely.

It WAS on, but turning that off didn't help. I'm also on an RoG Swift 1440p g-sync monitor, so i've tried turning it between diff Hz modes. 60Hz makes it drop fps less, but sometimes its smooth 60, then drops to 8 fps for a second, then stays at 50 fps for a while. Its very freakin' weird. Like, I know for a fact it can run better than 50 fps as when i go to 144Hz mode it WILL run at over 120 fps before tanking back to 8 and staying there for long periods of time.

Birbo

Stupid question: Where do I find my old game saves to copy over? Thought I found them, but the file dates look too old.

Gluka

X and Y sensitivities are not 1:1, just like Fallout 4. I made a [Controls] section in Skyrim.ini and pasted my Fallout 4 values, but it seems to have made it so that Y-axis doesn't respond to input at all.

I am so tired of messing with configs in Bethesda games.

Top Bottom