• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 confirmed; Mikami still directing

Huber did it again. He HYPEd another game in to existance.
The man has a gift

benblissrok53.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

So how awesome is the first game? I played like the opening ten minutes at my friend's house and figured it was the same thing as Outlast.

When will people realize that every horror isn't Outlast?

any i have mixed impressions with TEW. its not really bad but its not really good either imo

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Nice. Never played the first one. Heard too many bad things that turned me off.

But if they can correct the issues in 2 and polish it up, I'm on board.

Neiteio

So for those curious, if all the mumblings are true, the game will be out soon, no specific date but Tango is apparently crunching the game right now to finish it and the leaked employment form had the work for Q&A go on to Halloween, which might mean this game is releasing in the October/November range.
If they can pull it off, Halloween is best for obvious reasons

When will people realize that every horror isn't Outlast?

any i have mixed impressions with TEW. its not really bad but its not really good either imo

The quality of the chapters was so uneven that it's difficult to qualitfy it as a good game. It has good shooting mecanics though.

Some of the levels had some serious framerate issues too (like sub 15fps)

Neiteio

Oh man, I just realized Laura might come back. Not sure I can handle that again... The tension was excruciating. Scariest monster ever.

theyturkerjurbs

Neo Member
I literally need this in my life. First is a 10 for me, warts and all. I really think a more polished Mikami directed sequel could have the potential to become a bona fide classic. Maybe even Re4 quality. Mark my words.

😀

sjay1994

So how awesome is the first game? I played like the opening ten minutes at my friend's house and figured it was the same thing as Outlast.

I thought it was fine, and it had a lot of technical issues...

Then I played it on AKUMU mode and fucking hated it. I think that difficulty straight up soured my taste on this game.

Rymuth

Didn't care for the game but I'm genuinely glad Mikami gets to eat.

Hoping for a massive improvement over the original and I may very well get this.

I thought it was fine, and it had a lot of technical issues...

Then I played it on AKUMU mode and fucking hated it. I think that difficulty straight up soured my taste on this game.

Opposite for me. Akumu took it from good to near goty. Actually if I had played it in 2014 it would have probably been my goty.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
He later went on to say that the higher ups at Bethesda weren't really happy about him saying it would be his last role as a director, and also that he doesn't have to do as much work running Tango anymore since Bethesda became their publisher, so directing another game wasn't off the table.
Whew, that's dope then.

MarkusRJR

Man I'm so excited. I really enjoyed the first one! Excited to see what they can do when not confined to making it run on last gen consoles.

Hope they move onto a new engine though. id Tech didn't jive well with what they were trying to do in the TEW. Not sure if id has improved, but I'd love to see the sequel run on UE4.

Neiteio

First one is a masterpiece. TEW has the super-tight shooting mechanics, journey-like pacing and variety, and scope/scale of RE4, and the suffocating atmosphere, punishing difficulty, and carefully calibrated game balance of REmake, walking the fine line between resource starvation and player empowerment. The focus on crafting traps was especially brilliant. Story and lore is amazing once you understand it. Creature designs, especially the bosses, are some of the best in horror.

Beyond excited. I hope they keep and refine the overall gameplay systems and give us more of that amazing art direction. Can't wait to see what it looks like in action tomorrow.

He later went on to say that the higher ups at Bethesda weren't really happy about him saying it would be his last role as a director, and also that he doesn't have to do as much work running Tango anymore since Bethesda became their publisher, so directing another game wasn't off the table.

I'm still confused why Mikami went with Bethesda in the first place, seems like an odd match.

Did nobody else offered him a deal?

Man I'm so excited. I really enjoyed the first one! Excited to see what they can do when not confined to making it run on last gen consoles.

Hope they move onto a new engine though. id Tech didn't jive well with what they were trying to do in the TEW. Not sure if id has improved, but I'd love to see the sequel run on UE4.

They were hiring for people with UE4 experience I believe it was last year, so I'm almost positive TEW2 will be a UE4 game.

Top Bottom