• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 confirmed; Mikami still directing

Wow.. I had beat the DLC, but it was someone after the game. If they go forward with this storybeat, it'll be interesting to see how Sebastian interacts with his wife. Which it looks like she doesn't give a damn about him... Is that explained?

In the Kidman DLC there's 2 letters you can unlock by finding the scraps. In them is suggested that:

Ruvik, can somehow "infect" people minds, and that Mobius might be controlled or somehow influenced by Ruvik.

He's spreading like a virus (lol) and the evidence is the mark he leaves on people, the same mark Kidman has in her hand at the end of her DLC. Seems that Myra has a glove evidencing that her too is infcted by Ruvik conscience.

Lime

I would actually like new characters. Maybe do what Resident Evil 2 did and introduce new characters that are later tied into the previous characters and conjoin their plot lines in a coherent universe later on. EW already has its own evil Umbrella corporation, so it wouldn't be bad for them to go the same route and have new characters.

I think I got enough out of Sebastian, Juli, Joseph, bald villain, and Leslie.

While Sebastian will most likely be back, I wonder if Juli Kidman will as well.

Hopefully not, she and Leslie were the 2 worst characters in the game. Kidman was an empty yet annoying character who wanted things for herself, she felt like the "party crasher" character we see in games and movies where their presence actively brings down everybody else's. As for Leslie, I barely remember anything about him other than being used as a scapegoat to keep the DLCs running longer. I'm hoping Sebastian is at it again for this new game but with a new partner (if he has one) altogether, or perhaps Joseph comes back somehow.

I mean neither is Resident Evil 2 really. He was working more on Dino Crisis.

Which he should be working on now instead of this tripe

I liked The Evil Within ;)

Didn't play the Kidman DLC, but what folks are saying here I'm not sure how they'll incorporate and follow up in this one. Maybe
jump around everyone's mind with their own themes?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hopefully not, she and Leslie were the 2 worst characters in the game. Kidman was an empty yet annoying character who wanted things for herself, she felt like the "party crasher" character we see in games and movies where their presence actively brings down everybody else's. As for Leslie, I barely remember anything about him other than being used as a scapegoat to keep the DLCs running longer. I'm hoping Sebastian is at it again for this new game but with a new partner (if he has one) altogether, or perhaps Joseph comes back somehow.

Fuck no. Kidman was a great character and absolutely has to come back. I want two campaigns in TEW2 ala RE/RE2

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I'd argue that all the characters beyond maybe Ruvik were terrible in the base game. Everyone was just incredibly shallow. Sebastian was the only one to get any insight to who he was, but none of it came across in the gameplay/cutscenes.

myco666

are we sure this will happen during Bethesda's time and not Microsoft's?

I read somewhere here that MS had ads for it or something. probably misunderstood it

Hmmm... reveal trailer at MS conference and bit longer presentation at Bethesda conference would make some sense tbh.

Mifec

I'd argue that all the characters beyond maybe Ruvik were terrible in the base game. Everyone was just incredibly shallow. Sebastian was the only one to get any insight to who he was, but none of it came across in the gameplay/cutscenes.

I agree, worse even the Sebastian described in the journals was 10x more interesting than the one we get to play.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

I feel like certain people want Kidman in this new game just because she's a female and not because she's a decent character that contributes much towards an enjoyable narrative. If you removed her from the game, not much would change, other than a few set pieces you're forced into but the story mainly plays out the same without her presence.

The 2 DLCs with her in are really bad as well from a gameplay standpoint. The 1st DLC (Assignment), an obvious throwback to Ada Wong's "The Assignment" had Kidman running from point A to point B with little action to satisfy the journey. A lot of it was crouch sneaking in the darkness with your torch out avoiding enemies, it got repetitive really quickly, and it didn't help that Kidman was a boring, useless character.

As a Consequence, this DLC was promising at first but it soon turned into a Slenderman clone where you're chased by this (admittedly rather creepy looking doll-woman) in scripted manners. You're given a gun, which is mostly useless since you don't kill the stalker, and it didn't feel any different than the base game. What made Separate Ways in RE4 really good were the different weapons and seeing things from Ada's viewpoint. Yeah, there was some of that in this DLC and it was pretty cool with the boss fight with Joseph and the ending boss(es), but those are the highlights of it all.

So that's why I don't want Kidman back because she felt tacked on and both her DLC were borefests, but with a few really good moments, and I only remembered who Leslie was after entering this thread. Hell, if any female character should come back, it should be Tatiana who resembles Lisa from Silent Hill 1 somewhat. She doesn't have as much screen time as Kidman but is more interesting due to her abnormality position in the game's story. Granted, she isn't that great of a character because she's quite two dimensional in regards to her narrative structure, but at least she was a sight for sore eyes and oft had a few interesting things to say that helped push the narrative into stronger positions.

Also, bring back the chainsaw killer. :D

Neff

Kidman was interesting and had a cool design, and Carpenter did a great job of portraying her. Wanting her back just 'because she's a woman' (assuming anyone does) doesn't really do justice to the character.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
omg I cant wait for this, really liked TEW1 despite the flaws. Bring it Mikami.

KDC720

Great news. The reveal at the end of the Kidman DLC's, as well as the ending of the main game made for some interesting possibilities as to where the story can be taken. Good to see Mikami still on board as well.

Kazuhira

Kidman was interesting and had a cool design, and Carpenter did a great job of portraying her. Wanting her back just 'because she's a woman' (assuming anyone does) doesn't really do justice to the character.

She becomes likable in her dlcs,i thought she was going to be the typical one-dimensional cold character that only cares for herself but she was the total opposite,she was good person with bad luck and i love how protective she is towards Seb.
Joseph was the only one without too much story but he plays the 'sidekick bro' role pretty well and i cared for him because of all the times he saved my ass with that axe,i guess he is the type of character that develops more through his actions than his backstory/dialogue.

Well. I think I will go through again on Akumu in honor of this. Looking forward to preordering this. (TEW1 on PC still looks pretty damned good)

Linkura

I wasn't a big fan of the first game, but I do love survival horror, and there were enough good ideas in there that if they really fix the issues I had with the first one, I'd give this a shot.

PhineBuyM3

4542cd4c7033f07284efb53981eace21.gif

If you don't get your ass back at Platinum and make Vanquish 2

I just beat the main game on Survival today. Picked it up in the latest steam sale.

I'm a big fan of RE4, and this game delivered on most fronts. I kinda didn't like how stealth died off after the first couple chapters, but overall the game was fairly solid. I think, with what the game was going for, they should had some kind of super move similar to Leon's suplex/roundhouse/etc moves instead of just tossing matches. That would have added the extra oomph to take it up a notch since the stealth part lagged after 1/3 (or 1/4) of the way in.

Still, I think this was a better entry than Shadows of the Damned since that felt really floaty and this had a hell of a lot more impact to everything you did. Some goofy hitbox things here
(Laura)
and there but overall fairly solid. And damn did I have to look Sebastian's VA up on IMDB, almost sounded like Jack Walters' character from Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth at times.
(guess those under-used squid faced invisible enemies *thankfully* were some Lovecraftian inspiration)

My bet the next one is going full "Umbrella"/Mobius.

Resonance

I wonder if we'll get a codirector. IIRC, Mikami said he wasn't keen on directing future games, and wanted to give the younger members a chance

I wonder if we'll get a codirector. IIRC, Mikami said he wasn't keen on directing future games, and wanted to give the younger members a chance

We'll see in an hour, eh?
I seriously thought it was at 6pm and Nirolak posted that, but now it's not. Hell, even people on Twitch were confused. Maybe I was playing the Evil Within too long. Time for another drink, Det. Castellanos.

pa22word

They were really really bad.

Ruvik was the only ok one and I mean just ok, not great or amazing.

yeah...

About the only memorable line of dialog with decent delivery I can remember from the entire game is MC running around "What the fuck?!"-ing everything.

Top Bottom