• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 confirmed; Mikami still directing

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
If you like his past work, then you know what he can be capable of. In the context of this thread and video games, yes.

Mikami is capable of fucking up too though but that man did make Vanquish, plus the original TEW is still great. I'm replaying through it now for a 3rd time.

The Flash

Banned
Hope we play as Sebastian again but wouldn't mind playing as Kidman or a new character. Just hope the game is more like the first one and not its DLC.

Kazuhira

Seb coming back is a given,main game's ending and the last dlc confirms that.
Unless they pull a RE2 with this one and introduces a new group of main characters.

rtcn63

My standards are so barren now with sub-par sequels like Rise, Outlast 2, and RE6. Just don't betray the audience that enjoyed the original TEW (although oft-criticized flaws being improved upon is fine).

Arsenic13

I love both RE7 and TEW, so I don't want a petty war either.

However, TEW was absolutely survival horror. I literally defeated some bosses with my last bullet, and other bosses became unbeatable and required a chapter reset because I squandered resources. It was glorious.

Now, I agree that in terms of overall structure, TEW is more like an RE4-II rather than a REmake-II. Although there were certain chapters (most notably 3 and 9) that had you thoroughly exploring and backtracking through a single location.

The variety in TEW is amazing. It's hard to imagine how they'll top it.

TEW is survival horror, don't get me wrong, but it's not the straight classic type their marketing pushed. It was RE4+. And I loved it anyway, but I hope the existence of RE7 inspires Mikami and the team to one up them with some real tense scares.

Icolin

Banned
Not really all that big on TEW. I'm glad it's getting another shot though. I remember people being pretty tepid on it.

I'd say there's a 50/50 split between people who didn't like TEW and people who did like TEW; personally, I fall into the latter. Loved it.

Jawmuncher

I still want to play the version of TEW everyone played that was a sequel to RE4. Game didn't feel like that in the slightest, unless all you need to be a sequel to RE4 is over the shoulder shooting.

Dead Space was more a sequel to RE4 than TEW

rtcn63

I still want to play the version of TEW everyone played that was a sequel to RE4. Game didn't feel like that in the slightest, unless all you need to be a sequel to RE4 is over the shoulder shooting.

tumblr_mbay6j5I7x1r8q7ve.gif

YES!! I hope this is true.

Even though the first game was flawed, I really enjoyed a lot of aspects of it. The game had potential, and I would definitely buy a sequel day one.

rtcn63

I'm curious about which chapter this post is referring to as well.

Either just chapter 10 (let's be real it is a somewhat long-ass chapter because of the multiple boss fights) or chapters 11-13 being treated as a single one due to the uh... shared theme.

Sotha_Sil

Great news! The first one is flawed but I loved it.

Good to know that it will definitely be shown off at the Bethesda event, some were expecting it last year and left disappointed.

It seems they like to showcase only one or two developers at a time, with smaller updates from the other studios. Prey is the only one that hasn't gotten any special treatment - just one CGI trailer last year and it releases a month prior to this E3. Not sure I get the marketing strategy behind that.

2015: Fallout 4
2016: Dishonored 2, DOOM
2017: Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein TNC
2018: Starfield?

Um, I'm about 1.5 hours into the game - got to the first save point (the chair) and stopped playing. Guess I should get back into it someday soon hey.

myco666

Chapter 10 was pretty long, but 4 hours is probably pushing it.

Then again my playtime my first time through was about 20 hours, so maybe not. 4 hours could be legit.

I'd say that is 2 hour max. Obviously if you keep dying and retrying stuff a lot it can get lot higher but I don't think that counts.

Either just chapter 10 (let's be real it is a somewhat long-ass chapter because of the multiple boss fights) or chapters 11-13 being treated as a single one due to the uh... shared theme.

13 is very different from 11 and 12.

I'd say that is 2 hour max. Obviously if you keep dying and retrying stuff a lot it can get lot higher but I don't think that counts.

On subsequent playthroughs yeah it definitely gets cut down to 2 hours. But your first time through, when you're being super careful and don't know where to go yet, it can easily get stretched out to be way longer. The chapter's big enough for two boss fights; it's a long chapter.

Mikami is capable of fucking up too though but that man did make Vanquish, plus the original TEW is still great. I'm replaying through it now for a 3rd time.

If you think TEW is great, what in the world did Mikami ever fuck up?

For the record I also think TEW is great, probably one of my favorite games of that year

myco666

On subsequent playthroughs yeah it definitely gets cut down to 2 hours. But your first time through, when you're being super careful and don't know where to go yet, it can easily get stretched out to be way longer. The chapter's big enough for two boss fights; it's a long chapter.

On subsequent playthroughs you can easily cut it to 30 minutes or even less. Its a long chapter but 4 hours is insane.

On subsequent playthroughs you can easily cut it to 30 minutes or even less. Its a long chapter but 4 hours is insane.

When you're clocking in 20-25 hour playtimes for a first run, 4 hours for the longest chapter in the game doesn't sound so insane.

Also I've beaten TEW at least 10 times and I've never been able to cut chapter 10 down to 30 minutes except on casual during my speed run. If you're the type of person to naturally gravitate towards higher difficulties, and especially if you're the type of person to do so without having a great amount of technical skill and just want the challenge (like me), chapter 10 can be brutal.

Kazuhira

Dead Space's tone is not even slightly similar to RE4's unless,and i quote "all you need to be a sequel to RE4 is over the shoulder shooting."
People kept saying that because DS was the only candidate at the time,and i was one of them, but the only similarities between both games is that they are action games with a horror setting.
I've never said that about TEW but it's definitely more in line with what RE4 was imo.

Top Bottom