• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 confirmed; Mikami still directing

strafer

I really wish they would do motion capture with the actors like Uncharted, you get better performances that way, I felt the voice acting was pretty bad in the first game.

tumblr_nc2sx65uXE1rs6286o1_1280.png

I wouldn't mind kidman back, just bring in a better more engaged voice actress.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
TEW has some of the finest boss fights this generation. The
Parking Lot boss
and the
Two safe head boss fight
both respectively felt like a mix of RE and Silent Hill.

This was something I personally loved about the first game too, I know many people disliked the boss monsters having one-hit kill moves (though I'd argue they were fair as none were really cheap in how they were performed, all of them have slow wind-ups and sounds that telegraph what they're about to do), but I personally felt TEW had some of the best horror-centric boss fights I've ever seen in a horror game. In many horror games the boss fights fall short due to being kind of just ammo sponges and avoiding attacks without much more to them, but there's so many more interesting things going on in TEW boss fights, the monster designs are on-point, they manage to actually make the fights tense and at time even scary (an accomplishment to make what is essentially an action sequence with a gun scary, it's harder than it seems) and they ended up being some of the best boss fights the genre has ever whipped up in my opinion.

I wouldn't say all of them were winners (the
Dog
and
Spider you fight on the bus
boss fights are honestly more like typical horror game boss fights than not, but more of them were winners. I think all the boss fights with The Keeper were top-tier stuff, all three fights were memorable and they ended up making him an actually fearsome enemy to fight. I love the last battle with him in particular. I also agree
that the Garage boss fight was excellent.
I enjoyed the fights with The Brute (chainsaw wielding enemy), and Laura I agree with others ended up being the scariest enemy in the game for me. I also really loved the boss fights in the DLC.
Infected Joseph was so obviously inspired by the Winter boss you fight in Last of Us 2 but I think was done excellently here, I liked the Light Lady boss fight, and I think the boss fight with the Administrator may be tied with the Keeper and Garage fight for me. It's a bit easy but managed to be engaging, varied, and the part where you fight the two blood-stained Jacob's Ladder esque doppelgangers of Kidman is actually terrifying.

eizarus

Banned
Welp. Better go play the first one. It's been sitting in my Steam downloads for a while, haven't resumed it since I bought it lol.

The voice acting in the DLCs was markedly improved over the base game, and I have to wonder if it's because the DLCs were helmed by an American who could communicate with the actors better. Hopefully Johanas's presence in LA recently is indicative of him coming back to work with them again for the sequel.

Dusk Golem

Looking into it but it doesn't seem like a version with all the DLC has been released has it?

No there hasn't been a release of the main game with the DLCs together, but for what its worth in the last year Bethesda lowered the pricepoint of the game on C at least to $19.99 base price (and the Steam Summer Sale starts in a week and a half about, and likely the main game and DLC will be at least 50% off then).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ori 2, TEW2, it's Christmas in june. Loved TEW, incredible game. What I'd like to see is a leaner campaign with maybe not as many bosses with the chase mechanic. This would give me a reason to replay the game after all the patches and maybe try out the dlc. TEW was one game where I didn't get the amount of hate it received. It felt like RE4 with more horror elements, a dream combo that this sequel will hopefully execute even better.

lupinko

Looking into it but it doesn't seem like a version with all the DLC has been released has it?

No there hasn't been a release of the main game with the DLCs together, but for what its worth in the last year Bethesda lowered the pricepoint of the game on C at least to $19.99 base price (and the Steam Summer Sale starts in a week and a half about, and likely the main game and DLC will be at least 50% off then).

I can't speak for PC but there was a bundle for PS4 on PSN. I know because I bought it when it was on a giant sale, i think i got it for like $20 altogether or something, anyway it was really cheap.

Obviously the PC version is better because a good build can power through the game's technical problems.

Speaking of Bethesda and games I also want to play, it looks like they haven't released a version that includes both Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

Thanks for mentioning Steam and the inexpensive DLC, but I like physical releases of games (I know I know)

Dusk Golem

Meanwhile at Bethesda HQ:

giphy.gif

The bright side for TEW2 leaks is we actually know very little about it, its existence has been kind of leaked a few times over the last half a year but there's been nothing major said about it. So while the surprise of it being at their conference is gone, I think many (myself included) are very interested to see what they present on it as all we basically know right now is, "Yup, The Evil Within 2 does in fact exist and is basically confirmed to be at Bethesda's conference now and be available for pre-order afterward," we know from a GAF'er who is friends with someone at Tango (with a 100% accuracy rate for the first game way in advance) that the sequel will feature more
Laura
, and going by every leak so far it looks like TEW2 is probably going to release this year, early 2018 at the latest (every leak has pointed to the game releasing very soon, between the job listing for TEW2 ending in October, the person who knows someone at Tango saying they're all crunching right now some days up till midnight to get the game done, and this leak showing pre-orders will be available right after the conference, basically pointing to TEW2 being almost done and they're announcing it close to release).

strafer

Sucks that Xbox is before Bethethas presser.

I wonder if they will show a trailer for the game at Xboxs press conference and then have gameplay at the Bethestas.

Fuck spelling.

Dusk Golem

Sucks that Xbox is before Bethethas presser.

I wonder if they will show a trailer for the game at Xboxs press conference and then have gameplay at the Bethestas.

Fuck spelling.

it's not impossible, I mean I fucking won an Evil Within-themed Xbox One at PAX so there was some console preference there to the PS4, but I feel like they probably won't. I imagine Bethesda does have a few announcements but Wolfenstein and The Evil Within 2 may be their two big announcements (or maybe a third since Amazon did list three pages for them).

I'm in for both conferences, but I could see it going either way.

plushyp

Hope the second game isn't as much of a chore to play as the first. Also better voice actors for the main characters please (Seb and Juli).

Dusk Golem

They were really really bad.

Ruvik was the only ok one and I mean just ok, not great or amazing.

Did you ever play the DLC? It's all opinionated but I'm only asking since in my opinion the voice acting and dialogue in general was a LOT better in the DLC than the main game, by a surprising amount really. I hear the reason in part is because they had an American on the team work closer with it for the DLC, but I haven't validated that information for myself.

kc44135

YES! Loved TEW, so I'm really excited for this. I hope visuals and performance have improved a lot since the first game though, and I also hope those damn black bars are optional (or better yet, gone entirely) in the sequel.

Oh, nice, it's (sort of) confirmed now? If they bring Sebastian back they HAVE to change his sprint animation because that is one of the silliest, dumbest, funniest looking run animations I've seen in a game. Oppositely, if they bring Boxman back they should keep his animations because his walk animation is really badass.

Plus the way they tell the story should be linear and in chronological order, none of this messed up timeline out of place stuff because it's just confusing for no good reason. Ruvik wasn't that great a villain either so hopefully they ditched him and will try to tell a more traditional story.

Also wasn't it said somewhere that this would be Mikami's last ever game?

Was so disappointed with the first game, only played through the first 4 or so hours and quit.

The overall poor performance and controls were so frustrating.

strafer

Oh, nice, it's (sort of) confirmed now? If they bring Sebastian back they HAVE to change his sprint animation because that is one of the silliest, dumbest, funniest looking run animations I've seen in a game. Oppositely, if they bring Boxman back they should keep his animations because his walk animation is really badass.

Plus the way they tell the story should be linear and in chronological order, none of this messed up timeline out of place stuff because it's just confusing for no good reason. Ruvik wasn't that great a villain either so hopefully they ditched him and will try to tell a more traditional story.

Also wasn't it said somewhere that this would be Mikami's last ever game?

They are probably using his name as a marketing tool.

CheckMate

Loved the first game. It had one of the best levels aesthetics and boss fights for this gen. I hope they go all out and it just wouldn't be a 1.5 sequel similar to Dishonored 2, Duse Ex: MD and Watch Dogs 2. I want to see risks taken, but please don't take the DLC as a basis.

I also thought this game had a great foundation for narrative even though it never came close in delivering. Sadly, Mikami gives two-shits about story in video games so good luck with the writers on that.

Dusk Golem

I was really surprised by The Keeper's animations. When they first revealed the design of The Keeper, while the design itself was fine I was thinking the character didn't really seem that scary to me. However they did the best possible thing with Boxman/Keeper I think they could've done. He ended up being an incredibly tense enemy to fight due to how aggressive and simply brutally violent he comes off as, and a big part of that is his animations. The way he walks, violently swings a meat bag around, lungest his hammer and wields it, tears off his head, etc., are all really well done animations and I think it's a case where how they animated The Keeper really sold him as an intimidating villain.

Xater

Maybe they get it right the second time around. It would maybe also be better if they go with something else than id Tech 5.

I was really surprised by The Keeper's animations. When they first revealed the design of The Keeper, while the design itself was fine I was thinking the character didn't really seem that scary to me. However they did the best possible thing with Boxman/Keeper I think they could've done. He ended up being an incredibly tense enemy to fight due to how aggressive and simply brutally violent he comes off as, and a big part of that is his animations. The way he walks, violently swings a meat bag around, lungest his hammer and wields it, tears off his head, etc., are all really well done animations and I think it's a case where how they animated The Keeper really sold him as an intimidating villain.
It's why the DLC with him featured on didn't tick with me because it's first person... you can't see his posture as it's being played. His animations remind me of Mr. X or Nemesis in that it's just this calm but paced walk and if he gets up close to you you're in trouble, I don't really like it when the stalker can run faster than you under normal circumstances or is this weird creature-alien thing that's been done a gzillion times already.

Actually that reminds me...... the whole Boxman thing with the box being on his head, and the scene where
Kidman is trapped in a similar looking glass box full of water
, I wonder if there is some symbolism going on there I missed out on the first go of the game.

Maybe they get it right the second time around. It would maybe also be better if they go with something else than id Tech 5.

I think it's UE4 they are using this time around. And the non-blueprint version too!

sphinx

the piano man
as for Kidman's voice acting. I am unsure, at times the actress seemed passionate and engaged, at others way too detached.

if Kidman is in this story, definitely get the same actress though, just have a better voice coach or director for her.

Dusk Golem

Proprietary engine so not for commercial use. Not to mention the game is multiplat anyway.
While I do understand some people think it's weird Bethesda picked up Tango for TEW as TEW is pretty different than many current games Bethesda publishes, I will say one thing I'm really happy about the choice for is because with them being published by Bethesda it's basically confirmed these games are releasing the same day on PC as consoles. That's a bit more common now than when the original TEW released, but still not super common with Japanese developed games.

Mifec

Right, I keep forgetting that, I thought TEW was Playstation only given the history with Resident Evil.
Nah it was multiplat/crossgen with day 1 PC version too thankfully.
While I do understand some people think it's weord Bethesda picked up Tango for TEW, I will say one thing I'm really happy about the choice for is because with them being publisged by Bethesda it's basically confirmed these games are releasing the same day on PC as consoles. That's a bit more common now than when the original TEW released, but still not super common with Japanese created games.

Yup I was really happy that it was on PC day 1 since that was my choice of platform and was the best one from day 1 not to mention the patch in December of the same year fixed up the game nicely with up to something insane like 20fps boosts on 970 level cards.

I can't wait for the Evil Within 2, despite basically hating the original. There was a lot of potential there and I think Mikami will fix the issues it had.

Mifec

Btw Dusk did the Director look like Gman from Half Life to you? Like before Kid
shoots him at the end of The Consequence

He reminded me of him rofl.

Dusk Golem

Btw Dusk did the Director look like Gman from Half Life to you? Like before Kid
shoots him at the end of The Consequence

He reminded me of him rofl.

When you finally see the human face of the Administrator, yes I do agree he looks a lot like Gman. I thought it too the moment I saw it. His role isn't quite in the bavkground and as mysterious as Gman's (at least, in the DLC), but his manipulating and sometimes cryptic phrases are, plus his sulken face and suit look similar. His face especially (even of a bit prettier than Gman's).

I hope The Administrator plays a role in TEW2. Personal opinion, but I thought the Admin was a MUCH more interesting villain than Ruvik was (though even Ruvik seemed more menacing in the DLC than the main game to me).

Top Bottom