• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 confirmed; Mikami still directing

Mikami directing it is pretty fucking huge. The first game was awesome all around, had a few rough edges but it's still one of my favorite experiences this gen. Second one is going to be fucking ACE.

myco666

When you're clocking in 20-25 hour playtimes for a first run, 4 hours for the longest chapter in the game doesn't sound so insane.

Also I've beaten TEW at least 10 times and I've never been able to cut chapter 10 down to 30 minutes except on casual during my speed run. If you're the type of person to naturally gravitate towards higher difficulties, and especially if you're the type of person to do so without having a great amount of technical skill and just want the challenge (like me), chapter 10 can be brutal.

But the game has 15 chapters. If you are one of those people who clock 20-25 in one playthrough I would assume it is distributed evenly across all the chapters. 4 hours just sounds way too high. Obviously a person could spend that amount in it but just sounds bit ridiculous to me.

Kazuhira

But the game has 15 chapters. If you are one of those people who clock 20-25 in one playthrough I would assume it is distributed evenly across all the chapters. 4 hours just sounds way too high. Obviously a person could spend that amount in it but just sounds bit ridiculous to me.

Maybe he/she was suffering a lot of stress and 1 hr felt like 4 ;)
Ch10 was one of the most intense moments in the game imo.

Why would you assume that it's distributed evenly across chapters? Are you going to tell me that chapter 8 and chapter 10 are even remotely comparable in length?

Chapters 1, 4, 8, 12, and 15 are all ludicrously short in comparison to some of the others.

sphinx

the piano man
question, at what time can we expect this reveal?? some hours from now right?

P.N.03 would be the example I'd use.

Mikami just like any other game creator requires time and a decent budget to create a game.

blame capcom on that one.

question, at what time can we expect this reveal?? some hours from now right?

Mikami just like any other game creator requires time and a decent budget to create a game.

blame capcom on that one.

And even then the game is unique and interesting. If that game had a little more time to cook, it would have been a god hand level cult classic

Cramoss

xBFMaK3.gif

myco666

Why would you assume that it's distributed evenly across chapters? Are you going to tell me that chapter 8 and chapter 10 are even remotely comparable in length?

Chapters 1, 4, 8, 12, and 15 are all ludicrously short in comparison to some of the others.

I am not saying that if you spend 4 hours in chapter 10 you would spent 4 hours in chapter 8 too. What I am saying that if you spend 20 to 25 hours getting through the game which is what I consider the upper limit wouldn't it make sense that the 'extra' hours distribute evenly. Basically if I spend 20 minutes in chapter 8 you would spend 30-35 minutes in that chapter and so on. And yes obviously there can be only one chapter where you for some reason spend a very long time but I would still assume every player has certain speed that they keep across the whole game. Like if you spend 4 hours in chapter 10 and your total play time is 20 hours it would make the chapter one 5th of the whole game.

JJShadow

The first game was fucking incredible, still one of my fav games of the last 10 years easily. I still don't understand why people hated it so much, I know performance-wise was far from good and it was a bit rough around the edges, but for me it was what a sequel to RE 4 should have been

LUXURY

not sure if i'll partake. i had insanely high hope for the first one, and it wasn't too good in my eyes. i never finished it.

kevin1025

Banned
Need to restart the first. I was halfway through I'd wager until circumstances fucked my save file

Yeah, it was around halfway when I stopped. I'll play through it all a month or so from now. Mine wasn't an eaten save file but playing it drunk, and then when I returned to it after I was completely confused and lost and without any ammo, haha.

The Lamp

So how awesome is the first game? I played like the opening ten minutes at my friend's house and figured it was the same thing as Outlast.

Each chapter is a different realization of Mikami's twisted mind of horror. It's awesome. It plays like a true successor to RE4 even though the plot is a little absurd. But even the main character realizes it.

Probably the most tense moment in a video game for me was the chapter where I'm wandering around a labyrinth of mannequins where if I shot a weapon, the entire flammable labyrinth would explode.

Lulubop

Mikami is the GOAT and this game won't be held back by shitty idtech 5, plus I'm sure they'll work on the criticisms of the first.

The first was lovely, but rough around the edges.

The first game was good, but not great. Some really high highs, and some really low lows.
That said, I'm really excited that they are doing another one and Mikami returning as director is a good sign.

Hopefully, it's nothing like the awful DLC episodes...

vg260

I quite enjoyed the first one despite its flaws, so I'm very much looking forward to this. Probably my most anticipated upcoming game.

I probably won't buy the season pass this time though.

Wow.. I had beat the DLC, but it was someone after the game. If they go forward with this storybeat, it'll be interesting to see how Sebastian interacts with his wife. Which it looks like she doesn't give a damn about him... Is that explained?

A lot about Myra is vague and incomplete at the moment, but if you go back and re-listen to her conversations with Kidman in the personal files, her voice actor does a great job of showing veiled weakness when talking about Sebastian.

She also talks about him in a way that I feel only a wife could/would. "He is... known to get emotional. Just make sure to give him his space."

Sanctuary

Cool, now maybe he will make the horror game he's capable of. TEW was half a decent horror game, and the other half just a randomized grab bag of modern genre tropes and pacing.

The first game was fucking incredible, still one of my fav games of the last 10 years easily. I still don't understand why people hated it so much, I know performance-wise was far from good and it was a bit rough around the edges, but for me it was what a sequel to RE 4 should have been

Resident Evil 4 was never confused on what type of game it was
the released version, not the multiple prototypes
, and it also didn't shift genres continually.

Top Bottom