• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 confirmed; Mikami still directing

me0wish

TEW2 + Super Mario Odyssey = BEST E3

That's all we need for the best E3, but where is my Pikmin 4? :(

TEW would of been my favorite survival horror if not for the last 3 chapters, they we're poorly paced and uninteresting, and the last chapter was atrocious.

parkinho

This sounds like hyperbole, but I seriously don't know if I can handle Laura again. The Ch. 10 encounter was insane.

No hyperbole detected at all, my friend. Laura is genuinely terrifying!

Waking up to this news and the leaked screens of the new Ori game has already made e3 a success in my eyes!

DocSeuss

everyone complaining about idtech clearly didnt play doom

TEW was a horribly uneven game with stratospheric highs and way too many lows

AzureFlame

The man has a gift

benblissrok53.gif

what was this reaction for?

mcmmaster

Sold enough to warrant a sequel and is better than any of those games.

Okay i'll take part of your opinion as subjective because maybe deep action games like Vanquish and God Hand aren't your thing, but TEW being better than RE4 is laughable. The characters were unlikable and dull, story writing was all over the place, the horror was forced/lacking, and chapter 3 if I recall correctly was the only decently designed mission/level in the game.

Sorry but RE4 is leagues better than TEW and at this point, I would personally rather Mkiami work towards creating deep and unique action games like Vanquish or God Hand rather than a cheap imitation of RE4.

sphinx

the piano man
Please Please

.- trim it down, less chapters
.- less instakill stuff.

bring back 85% of your ideas, refine them: GOTY

so1337

I don't have much faith in Death Stranding at the moment, either, but MGSV was a fucking amazing videogame with perfect controls, tons of systems and mechanics, and wonderful design. I rank it alongside Super Mario 64 from a "joy simply to move around" standpoint. So Kojima and company are definitely capable of making fun gameplay. :)
That remains to be seen. I'm not confident that anyone on that team will be able to reign Kojima in on some of his shittier ideas (of which he has many - vagina bomb anyone?), now that he's treated like a rockstar.

Anyway, this thread is about a director with a record of making one genre-defining masterpiece after another, not Hideo Kojima.

Sesha

Cool, about time. Release date in October, maybe? Although Bethesda only did something similar with Fallout 4. Everything else took a year and a half. I wonder if Mikami's still directing or just supervising like Kamiya with Bayonetta 2 or Itsuno with DmC. Probably the former, but we'll see.

Must be nice being Huber and having his luck. Shenmue 3, Resident Evil 2 Remake, The Last of Us Part 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, now this. Now the only thing missing is Shenmue 1+2 HD and a new Onimusha.

what was this reaction for?

Yakuza 6 and Kiwami Western release announcement at PSX.

Pooya

I didn't love the first game, it had so many annoyances. I hope this one is a lot better, I need my RE fix and 7 just didn't do it for me with its horrible combat and enemies. TEW was a lot more fun.

I hope they tone down all the visual post processing crap and give the game a clean look this time.

onken

I did finish TEW and although the overall experience wasn't great it did have some stand-out moments. Hoping for a tighter experience with less jank this time around.

myco666

Okay i'll take part of your opinion as subjective because maybe deep action games like Vanquish and God Hand aren't your thing, but TEW being better than RE4 is laughable. The characters were unlikable and dull, story writing was all over the place, the horror was forced/lacking, and chapter 3 if I recall correctly was the only decently designed mission/level in the game.

Sorry but RE4 is leagues better than TEW and at this point, I would personally rather Mkiami work towards creating deep and unique action games like Vanquish or God Hand rather than a cheap imitation of RE4.

All opinions are subjective. Also did I ever say that I don't like Vanquish, God Hand or RE4? I like all of those games a lot but TEW just clicks with me way more than any of those.

Compared to RE4 it is much better horror game and most of the chapters were great in TEW.

You say it's laughable as if what you're saying is somehow a matter of a fact and not just your opinions. I'm with some of the others in the thread. The Evil Within is a much better game than RE4.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
TEW wasn't without faults and had some iffy mechanics, but I really liked the game. It felt like they wanted to do a lot of things but it ended up kind of uneven and incoherent. I think a sequel could be awesome though, and I am glad it's being made.

strafer

I thought I was over being scared by videogames. Then I met Laura.

She was the scariest part of that whole game.

I didn't watch any videos or played the demo prior to playing it myself and when she first appeared I had to pause the game, like holy shit.

Kudos Kojima, kudos.

Even though she scared the crap out of me I really want her to appear in the sequel, no idea how that would play out but just do it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Neiteio

She was the scariest part of that whole game.

I didn't watch any videos or played the demo prior to playing it myself and when she first appeared I had to pause the game, like holy shit.

Kudos Kojima, kudos.

Even though she scared the crap out of me I really want her to appear in the sequel, no idea how that would play out but just do it.
I think you mean "Kudos, Mikami." You probably slipped because Kojima came up earlier, ha.

But yeah, Laura could come back. There was no definitive closure on her in TEW1...

DVCY201

Honestly, just no idTech 5. I'm hoping they jump into something else that they're comfortable with, because a lot of Mikami's games are technically sound.

I almost want to say, though I know this is a stretch, that the October 27th release date listed for Wolfenstein on Amazon was a mix-up and is actually The Evil Within 2's release date. I know that's a stretch, but I think it's a bit weird The Evil Within 2 pre-order ads went up but not ads for Wolfenstein from the mix-up, I think there's a chance TEW2 may be releasing before the next Wolfenstein, but more so October 27th seems like a perfect release date for TEW2.
'
Just some thoughts.

The 27th is a weird date in general because it's a Friday, and most games release on Tuesday.

I'm still pulling hope for a Halloween Day release.

Mifec

I think you mean "Kudos, Mikami." You probably slipped because Kojima came up earlier, ha.

But yeah, Laura could come back. There was no definitive closure on her in TEW1...

Someone with friends at Tango said
we're gonna see a LOT of her in this.
in the other TEW thread here. Obv game spoiler so only click if you really wanna know.

MadeULook

If they can fix the flaws the first game had, I'd definitely be down to play this. I couldn't shake them off and the game fell flat with me by the end. Shame as I loved everything else about The Evil Within. Definitely would be down for a sequel.

mcmmaster

All opinions are subjective. Also did I ever say that I don't like Vanquish, God Hand or RE4? I like all of those games a lot but TEW just clicks with me way more than any of those.

Compared to RE4 it is much better horror game and most of the chapters were great in TEW.

I did say maybe, sorry for jumping the gun.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Mifec

I made this post on an Evil Within dedicated forum, but here's my theory on
Laura playing a bigger role in the sequel when the GAF'er with a friend at Tango touched on Laura's bigger involvement in the sequel:

The whole point of STEM was to transfer Laura into another body and give a place Ruvik and Laura could spend together out of the shells of their burnt bodies, that was Ruvik's objective with the project. Since he can confirm STEM was a success as he himself has now obtained another body and left into the real world, I can't imagine a scenario where one of the things Ruvik wouldn't do once he was free was use what he's gained and learned to free Laura from her vegetative body.

I also imagine that there will be some interesting ways Laura's psyche has ended up from years being trapped in her own mind and not able to act out in the real world, which might be interesting to explore in a game about exploring the mind. With how Ruvik was scarred and twisted from his upbringing, I can't imagine it was any different for Laura and allowing that to fester and cycle around in her own mind over a long period of time I think has a lot of interesting possibilities.

Now for the second comment, you know how in The Evil Within landscapes change at the tip of a hat? It's not random as Ruvik has some control here, and his mind can begin to infect others inside the landscape as well, as we see in the Haunted and Joseph. However, with so much of the world being able to change form one thing that the original game didn't do much of is how beings in the STEM would change forms (outside of people within the STEM becoming 'infected' by Ruvik's mind and becoming the Haunted). There's reasons for this, but it's demonstrated on at least two occasions that monsters concocted within the STEM can take on different forms within it, but both are in final battle contexts. Ruvik merges with the final boss monster at the end of the main game, and in the DLC with Kidman we see more directly the Administrator take on different forms. Most of the monsters in the Evil Within are related to people who were sucked into the STEM or are linked to Ruvik's subconscious feelings and memories, but Ruvik has stabilized within the STEM and has decent control within it. Kidman does not have this same control or even full understanding of the STEM, and what makes the Administrator fascinating I think is that it's implied to be mostly of Kidman's concoction rather than Ruvik's (Ruvik knew of the Administrator of Mobius obviously, but Ruvik's relationship and interpretation of the Admin is that of a fool, and this doesn't reflect in what Kidman see's), and she has far less control than Ruvik does in the STEM (partially because of Ruvik's control over it, but also her own fears she doesn't have a hold of and somewhat consume her). The Administrator basically is Kidman's fears of Mobius, herself, and her position manifested (as we know the Administrator isn't actually in the STEM), and unlike every other monster in the game it shifts its form throughout the experience. Sometimes more like an actual human, sometimes more like a shadow, sometimes more like a monster, etc. I personally believe this is because the Administrator is from Kidman and her wavering trust in Mobius and uncertainty and fears about herself and her position, but because she's in the STEM it takes on a physical form and her 'mindscape' isn't as solid or collected as Ruvik's.

So while the landscapes change up a lot, the monsters don't but I believe that's because most of the monsters stem (pun unintended) from Ruvik. And Laura is concocted from Ruvik's memories of her, the Reborn Laura monster we meet throughout Evil Within is just an extension of Ruvik and not Laura herself. So my theory is if Laura is indeed playing a bigger role in the sequel, we both will meet the 'true' Laura and not just Ruvik's version of her as Ruvik's undoubted goal once he is out of STEM would be to go after his sister, as that's literally his primary objective. And I feel we'll probably see the real Laura, either with her planted in a new body or through exploring the subconscious of a vegetable person in part. However, as a secondary side to this, as Sebastian and all of them are still effected by Ruvik and connected to him I can imagine seeing the monsters in Ruvik's mind manifest in the real world to those still connected to him, and Ruvik's mental version of Laura may change as he begins to form new memories of her. The Laura we meet is built off of his hate and his memories of Laura, but what if Ruvik forms new memories of her and his emotions change? Then his version of Laura should also change.

The low-line of what I'm saying is I feel we'll both get to know the real Laura rather than Ruvik's dotting image of her, and Ruvik's mindscape may very well shift itself now that it's getting exposure to new things in the real world rather than being trapped in a mental landscape for years.

I'm like 200% sure he won't change, he's far too insane and rage driven to change but yes I assume the first thing he's gonna do is make a new STEM to transfer her into a new body and that's gonna be the game.

Hell yes! TEW is still the best TPS and survival horror of this gen.

amen.
Even though the first game is seriously flawed in certain areas like character control and camera it's still the best one this gen.
Just fire whoever was responsible for those things and trim the bad chapters and you would have a classic.

Awesome news. The Evil Within was ace. I mean, the story was incomprehensible bollocks and the game wasn't remotely scary, but it was still ace. Glad to hear there's a sequel on the way for sure now.

I hope they bring the nurse back.

KiNolin

I was hoping for a new IP :( It didn't seem like TEW really was what Mikami intended by founding Tango (and that's why the game felt pretty messy to me, probably), oh well.

I was hoping for a new IP :( It didn't seem like TEW really was what Mikami intended by founding Tango (and that's why the game felt pretty messy to me, probably), oh well.

Apparently he wanted to move away from doing survival horror, but the higher ups didn't buy his company for that.

KiNolin

Apparently he wanted to move away from doing survival horror, but the higher ups didn't buy his company for that.

Exactly. Guess they won't let him off the leash and it already hurt the first title. But at least he himself also admitted that they were too unfocused during the first development, so maybe it's going to be a better game this time.

TEW has some of the finest boss fights this generation. The
Parking Lot boss
and the
Two safe head boss fight
both respectively felt like a mix of RE and Silent Hill.

Top Bottom