• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

kromeo

Most of the impressions I'm seeing seem to be from people who didn't like the first game, I'm more interested to see what people who loved it think

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

CheckMate

Horror games I find hard to place ahead of time partially because horror games are so based on getting a reaction out of players, whether that be from scares, tension, emotions, engaging world, whatever. But due to the nature of that and often a rise and focus on those elements above pure gameplay it becomes a highly subjective thing. Not to mention horror game mechanics often are focused in such a way they don't have broad appeal often, IE the original The Evil Within had some mechanics some would tell you are brilliant and others would tell you are terrible, like the match mechanic, the super limited stamina in the original, etc. Some people would name some of these as negatives, some others as positives as the game uses them in design well.

The Evil Within 2 has some overall marked general improvements I would say, but it all at once both seems like it's still The Evil Within but also a sort of new form of it entirely. It's not just more of the original, the direction and focuses are different this time. It places stronger emphasis on horror, story, exploration, and resource management than the first game. It has some new things like bigger levels on occasion to explore through and do optional stuff in.

I've heard good things from those I know who love horror and got it early, and I am fairly certain I'm going to love it (though to see to what extent, more and less than the original? To other behind-the-shoulder horror games? What will be my pros and cons and overall thoughts at the end?). But The Evil Within always struck me as something directed at some very specific audiences. I think that's part of the reason the original game has such a huge array of opinions, everything from people loathing it to being in some people's top games of all time. It lacked universal appeal and had some design decisions that not everybody liked, but it struck out really hard within certain demographics. It found an audience who loved it, and regardless if you liked it or not despite having obvious influence from things like Resident Evil, Last of Us, and Silent Hill, there's nothing really out there that feels like The Evil Within 1.

I'm getting the same impression here. It is notable they countered basically every major complaint people had with the original game, with better gunplay, better stealth, better story, better animations (they're good even if not top tier), better performance, the game actually has a proper final boss now I hear, a more consistent world and progression while retaining the reality shifting elements from the original, stronger focus on horror, removing black bars, among some other things. They obviously did listen to all the feedback of the original and take it seriously for the sequel. There's even some things they listened to I think maybe they shouldn't of going by some people's responses, like do you guys remember back before and when The Evil Within 1 was shown off and released there was some strange controversy how Sebastian didn't react to any of the horror around him? I thought that was super dumb at the time people were complaining and taking issue with that, but it caught on, and seems they've listened some to that for better or worse. They've obviously been listening at least.

And maybe that'll make it a marked improvement for many, and make it review well. The original game has a 75 on Metacritic for the record, and the reasoning is pretty much what you'd expect if you followed the game... Reviewers were all over the place with TEW1. It got its fair shares of 8s and 9s, as well as 7s, 6s, 5,s and even 4s. It was a huge spectrum of scores. And in the end, The Evil Within 2 is still The Evil Within. I think The Evil Within has its fans, but I think it still may be missing the broad appeal. Maybe some people who didn't like TEW1 will like TEW2, you can see some people like that in this thread. I've heard from some streamers playing and a friend they think it's a big improvement over the original too, and despite TEW2 once again pulling from so much horror I've heard a few say that there's not a horror game like TEW2, it uses its elements in a way we haven't seen before. But is that universally appealing? Will it end up in the same love it/hate it train the original game had?

I'm actually going to place my bets on a 77-81 Metacritic, BUT with some people absolutely LOVING it, and some people absolutely HATING it. My prediction. I could be way off, but what I think before it happens.

I may make a review thread soon and copy and paste this post here before the swarm begins. Any idea if the embargo is literally in an hour and 15 minutes?

Seems like a waste leaving this as the last post.

I'd also add the first Evil Within wasn't very review-friendly. The game is hard no matter what difficulty you choose because of the game is structured. I am happy there are more options in the sequel.

liquidtmd

Banned
Apologies if already answered - to those who have it, does 2 have an effective summary / friendly to players who haven't played 1?

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

derFeef

What engine is this running on? Looks so good compared to the first one! Animations could use some work though.

I actually think, minus the sections I have not seen yet from the game :)
I liked the look of the frist one more. It was grimey and disgusting - TEW2 looks a bit too clean.

Dusk Golem

STEM Engine, which is a modified idTech 5 with some idTech 6 components apparently. This said, the performance is better all around than the first game on Xbox One, PS4, and PC. It's not perfect performance, but definitely an improvement on all platforms. Apparently runs 60fps on PC with no big problems, and various PC features and options the original didn't have. Performance on Xbox One and Playstation 4 is 30fps with some hitches but much better than the original.

Thank you! I'm watching Game Informer's gameplay and STEM Engine looks promising already. Do you know what kind of PS4Pro enhancements it's getting? I'm debating if I should get it on PC or PS4. Depends on which one has HDR support, if any.

Reviews in 10 minutes ...

52a2c.jpg

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Nick_C

I wonder if this'll be a Rise of the Tomb Raider to Evil Within's Tomb Raider reboot. By that I mean the obvious things, like the inclusion of the open world sections and side activities, but also things like focusing on the world and story building through context.

Will this run at 1440p/60 FPS with my GTX 970 like TWE1 does? I'd go for the PC version in that case if somebody could confirm.

Depends what settings you want, at Ultra - no.
Everything on highest gets me about 45/55 on my 970/i7 2600k at 1080p

quick dirty Ultra shot at 4k, will get better shots later. Had to do this over lunch via teamviewer...

Shari

Will this run at 1440p/60 FPS with my GTX 970 like TWE1 does? I'd go for the PC version in that case if somebody could confirm.

I don't know if you'll get a stable 60fps at that res but no matter what is going to run better than in PS4/One.

You'll probably be able to 60 through a few compromises as long as you CPU is decent.

GavinUK86

quick dirty Ultra shot at 4k, will get better shots later. Had to do this over lunch via teamviewer...

same setup as me. thats pretty decent for max settings. sounds more optimised that tew1.

T.O.P

Banned

Imma be happy with everything on high and locked 60fps with a 970/4690k/16gb

Seems way better than the first game already

I thought it did on all platforms?

Unless you need a HDR enabled device for the option to appear, there is not HDR option in the menus.

Does anyone remember how to control the debug free cam in TEW1?

I'm trying to work via teamviewer to my home machine at the moment, I can move the mouse to move the view, but I can't actually move the camera around at all using the Toggledebugcamera via dev console?

Hazaku

Any further details on the 'Classic' mode outside of it being similar to Akumu with limited saves?

I just did my Akumu playthrough of TEW in preperation.
19 hours and 484 deaths later lol

Top Bottom