• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

jackft

Neo Member
I finally have time to play Evil Within 2 and Resident Evil 7. As for you, do you know which game I could play first ?!

ruvikx

Banned
I finally have time to play Evil Within 2 and Resident Evil 7. As for you, do you know which game I could play first ?!

I haven't yet played beyond Chapter 3 in The Evil Within 2, but, I did beat Resident Evil 7 so I can offer a comparison based upon that fact. IMO, RE7 severely lacks in the gameplay department, i.e. it's a very barebones title with few enemies, few puzzles (certainly not difficult ones) & few locations. It's a game in which the player is supposed to 'feel' the horror, whereas unfortunately I felt nothing. No fear, no threat, zip. Maybe it's just me, but it was one of THE disappointment of my gaming year in 2017 (which I could further discuss in a more RE7 specific thread), whereas based upon the beginning of EW2, it has all the weapon/upgrade/enemy/level design variety I expect (& want) in a horror game. In fact so far The Evil Within 2 feels more Resident Evil-esque than Resident Evil 7.

Oh & 'something, something' Juli Kidman.

Reactions: Isa

geordiemp

OK I just finished evil within 2 on the setting just below nightmare, normal I think with no aim assist.

It felt like playing RE4 for the first time, I absolutely loved it. Great game, massively under appreciated.

It does not really start until chapter 3, first 2 chapters are story telling and teaching you things / setting the scene.

It also reminded me of playing The last of us, but more scary.

Last edited:
Playing EW1 for the first time right now. It's quite badly optimized, but after some tweaking it runs pretty fine now. Will definitely play EW2 next.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Playing the Evil within 2 on anything but Nightmare really nerfs the tension in the game.

Playing EW1 for the first time right now. It's quite badly optimized, but after some tweaking it runs pretty fine now. Will definitely play EW2 next.

Oh yeah? What tweaks? I've tried before to luck.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Finally got around to beat this game now that I have a better PC.

definitely dont understand the love for this compared to EW1. definitely a high quality game, but it feels like it got gimped for consoles. You can't even melee in this game...

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Just finished it... amazing game, the best RE4 type of gameplay has to offer. In Q4 last year I started playing "RE type" games and I never played any RE game before lol. Started with RE7, TEW, RE1R, RE0, RE2R and now TEW2. While Remake 2 is great I find TEW2 to be better - first game suffered from engine problems and shit last quater of the game but gameplay and story was very solid, TEW2 fixes most of the technical problems original had, overall story is better and ending is a blast. At first I hated semi-open world structure but it works very well, 9/10 from me, great SP experience :)

DonF

Just finished it... amazing game, the best RE4 type of gameplay has to offer. In Q4 last year I started playing "RE type" games and I never played any RE game before lol. Started with RE7, TEW, RE1R, RE0, RE2R and now TEW2. While Remake 2 is great I find TEW2 to be better - first game suffered from engine problems and shit last quater of the game but gameplay and story was very solid, TEW2 fixes most of the technical problems original had, overall story is better and ending is a blast. At first I hated semi-open world structure but it works very well, 9/10 from me, great SP experience :)
Nice to know. I actually liked TEW 1 a lot, and I got the complete edition for like $12. Im waiting for a bigger price drop for 2. I'm also really confused as to why TEW 2 didn't get any DLC. Like, were there ever any plans or its because of the poor sales...

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Nice dude, I absolutely loved it and dropped a few games for it at launch, as my gf and I were super into it. Even got choked up a couple of times. I hope we get a sequel or some spinoff, as I'm interested in seeing where they could take the series from there. I'd especially like to see Juli Kidman as a main protagonist.

kunonabi

I actually had more fun with the couple hours I spent with Evil Within 2 than I did with all of the first. The first has a few nice moments, but it's just too long and uninteresting with so many technical shortcomings that it just never clicked with me. The action focus didn't help matters. I lost my TEW2 save data so I actually have to start all over which I'll probably do after I finish Yakuza Kiwami 2.

Doom85

EW 2 was a massive improvement over 1. 1 was good, but suffered from a lackluster final third of the game, Ruvik was the only character given any real development (Sebastian's character being established through notes was ridiculously lazy), and the game was littered with bugs and technical issues for a while. 2 stayed consistently solid throughout the whole game, developed all the heroes and villains, and performed just fine as well as adding far more to simply do in the game because the first game did have some hidden secrets and such but the second game offered far more variety.

Arachnid

It's a hard choice for me. 2 improved the gameplay but the horror aspects were seriously lacking compared to 1 (other than the Animus which was just as scary as anything in the first game). 2 was also a lot easier (I played Nightmare my first playthrough, and it felt like it was the equivalent of normal in 1, which is exactly what the devs said it would be so whatever). 1 had more memorable antagonists (Ruvik and Laura were great; Discount Hannibal in 2 was pretty good, and Theodore was lacking), better bosses, and better horror. 2 had better gameplay, better story, and better pacing.

Both are definitely worth playing, but in the end, it's a horror game. I play it to be terrified and 1 better delivered that aspect. Hopefully if they ever make 3, they throw out the open world and stick to carefully crafted and presented levels. Also, somewhat nerf the stealth. I think that's what made 2 such a cakewalk. You could stealth kill every enemy, and stealth your way out of most bosses. IMO some forced confrontation (at least for bosses) is important in a horror game. Otherwise, you feel too secure (which was the case in 2).

Armorian

Banned
First game is more mysterious and horror oriented as player doesn't know about STEM for a long time but I think action take in the sequel works better overall. Second game plot is like Matrix-Evangelion mix :)

I hope Tango gets to make more games, they're excellent at it (it doesn't have to be TEW sequel).

Last edited:
Top Bottom