• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Apples_89

Overall, I really enjoyed the game, although after reading a lot of impressions, I seem be of the very unpopular opinion that the game actually decreases in quality in the final third. Aside from the final boss, everything after Chapter 11 seemed to be such a slog to get through, when compared to the amazing previous sections. I think a lot of it had to do with the emphasis on the fire enemies, which were never fun to fight.
Also, recycling the first game's bosses in place of potentially new memorable encounters was a bit of a disappointment.
Anyone else agree, or am I completely alone on this?

Overall, I really enjoyed the game, although after reading a lot of impressions, I seem be of the very unpopular opinion that the game actually decreases in quality in the final third. Aside from the final boss, everything after Chapter 11 seemed to be such a slog to get through, when compared to the amazing previous sections. I think a lot of it had to do with the emphasis on the fire enemies, which were never fun to fight.
Also, recycling the first game's bosses in place of potentially new memorable encounters was a bit of a disappointment.

I agree it was an all around good game. I thought it was a cool idea to see
the bosses from the previous game come back for that boss fight. It fit in that Theodore was trying to get in your head.
The parts of the game that were the best imo were the linear sections. I liked the open world ideas for some of the chapters but the game just felt right playing in linear hallways and corridors.

Voliko

I felt the same way pretty much.
The fire walk and the lead up to Theodore in chapter 14 was good but the rest felt like a slog. Also by then you have way too much ammo and supplies. Re-using the open area from chapter 7 in chapter 13 was really weak. I think the old bosses coming back was a very cool moment (the music was hype) but yeah I would rather have new stuff.

For me being hugely into encounter design and interesting level design, the difference between ch.14 and everything else is so apparent. That section had flowed so perfectly, with escalating problems for the player not just enemies but the way the level pushed you into uncomfortable situations and it gave the player unique was to fight back using the fire and what not. It wasn't just an open space with enemies and you figure out what to do, it was designed to create an excellent unique battle. That's what the best action games do. That's what TEW1 excelled at. It's where TEW2 faltered the most.

DirtyLarry

So one thing I do not get, is I am back in Union on Chapter 13 going to meet up with Sykes,
and the flamethrower dude who I thought was ONeal that I killed earlier is somehow alive again.
Is there an effective way to kill them as so far I keep dying and I am trying everything. Including
using the various environmental traps.

For now I am avoiding that bastard as I have
made it to the safe house,
talked to Sykes and am not back in the Marrow to enable power for Sykes or some shit,

EDIT - I forgot to share another classic Seb talking to himself line I just heard...
Looks Abandoned. Spooky.
Just amazing.

So one thing I do not get, is I am back in Union on Chapter 13 going to meet up with Sykes,
and the flamethrower dude who I thought was ONeal that I killed earlier is somehow alive again.
Is there an effective way to kill them as so far I keep dying and I am trying everything. Including
using the various environmental traps.

For now I am avoiding that bastard as I have
made it to the safe house,
talked to Sykes and am not back in the Marrow to enable power for Sykes or some shit,

EDIT - I forgot to share another classic Seb talking to himself line I just heard...
Looks Abandoned. Spooky.
Just amazing.

Smoke arrow, stealth stab twice. Repeat.

Gasian

Finished the game last night after 20 hours of play and had some time to reflect.

The Evil Within 2 to me is a very good game with flaws similar to the first one but for different reasons. I personally prefer the criptic story of the first game but the second game's is fine as well. Ruvik is definitely a better Villain to me.
Rather than Theodore, and Stephano who are pale in comparison.( Also GMAN is pretty great with those hand gestures)
I like the gameplay more,mostly because I am big into stealth focused games. Even if the enemy AI is way more eradic and should have been designed better. The linear stuff in TEW1 levels is better designed than the second games linear stuff but I much prefer the open section layouts of this game. The game does some really great things with the open and optional stuff.
The callbacks to beacon, finding out when you get all the slides Joseph is actually alive,etc.

The pacing is solid unlike the first game but I feel this game loses the atmosphere of the first. Survival is way too kind to you as a player. I messed up so many times and still had ammo most of the time.
Expect for one moment in Chapter 7 when I fucked up and had barely any ammo. Made it tense.
There wasn't nearly as many moments that made me tense but it might just be that stuff in this game did not scare me nearly as much as it would others.
(expect for spooky lady and those creepy crawlers. That got me to lose my spaghetti a few times.)
I think I just prefer the first games tone more.

So overall, I really like this game like the first game. Even if I prefer the hectic roller coaster ride where you have no idea what's going on of The Evil Within. The Evil Within 2 is a very good game that is more polished than the first and does different things well in comparison. The games definitely co exist well together.
Also that dang ending. So freaking cheesy but nice. Also I hope it means Ruvik comes back if we ever get another game or some sort of DLC.

Thanks everyone here for being cool here. I wanted to get my thoughts out to anyone that is considering getting this game. Have a nice day everyone!

DirtyLarry

Smoke arrow, stealth stab twice. Repeat.
Interesting. I tried stealth stabbing him without the smoke and it not was an option. So I assumed for some reason he was impervious to stabs. If that is the case he will be cake. I also have a few smoke arrows in my locker as well so it is not like they are a precious resource right now. Thank you.

On Ch6 at like....8-12 hours (I forgot but in that range) and so far I think I like TEW1 better. I really loved the relentless battles that would make you use all of the resources that you have and surviving off one drop of health. I’ve only had maybe 1 or 2 encounters like that so far.

The overworld is very well done but I’d rather them have gone in a more linear direction.

Playing on Nightmare btw. Which I recommend everyone doing

ZanDatsu

I feel the same way, the game just fell off a cliff for me towards the end. I really loved the start of it, going around exploring the town and coming across things organically. It was tense because I felt I was getting myself into things I may not be entirely ready for. The longer the game went on the more this feeling disappeared and it started feeling like a generic action game, just being funnelled through the content in increasingly less interesting areas. At least I felt they were less interesting.

I took a break from Neogaf after the "incident" so in that time I've replayed the game on New Game Plus, getting all the collectibles... except for 2 Locket Keys. Now, the problem with this is that I've watched 2 different video guides for getting the Keys but in both of those videos I didn't spot any Keys that I didn't already get...

Does anyone know of any glitches with Locker Keys not registering or anything? I get the feeling that something like that might be happening to me...

Also, I'm on New Game Plus so I know that's making a difference but goddamn does Survival difficulty just hand everything to you on a silver plate?! You get so much green gel from killing enemies, it's ridiculous!

Lucent

I took a break from Neogaf after the "incident" so in that time I've replayed the game on New Game Plus, getting all the collectibles... except for 2 Locket Keys. Now, the problem with this is that I've watched 2 different video guides for getting the Keys but in both of those videos I didn't spot any Keys that I didn't already get...

Does anyone know of any glitches with Locker Keys not registering or anything? I get the feeling that something like that might be happening to me...

Also, I'm on New Game Plus so I know that's making a difference but goddamn does Survival difficulty just hand everything to you on a silver plate?! You get so much green gel from killing enemies, it's ridiculous!

I think you can get a couple of keys from the
shooting range
. Not sure if those are absolutely necessary to have all keys or not.

For me being hugely into encounter design and interesting level design, the difference between ch.14 and everything else is so apparent. That section had flowed so perfectly, with escalating problems for the player not just enemies but the way the level pushed you into uncomfortable situations and it gave the player unique was to fight back using the fire and what not. It wasn't just an open space with enemies and you figure out what to do, it was designed to create an excellent unique battle. That's what the best action games do. That's what TEW1 excelled at. It's where TEW2 faltered the most.
Completely agree. Just started chapter 14 and it's easily the best so far. Looks and feels like TEW1.

I think you can get a couple of keys from the
shooting range
. Not sure if those are absolutely necessary to have all keys or not.

They are. He's probably missing them.

I got those already. Easy to do once you buy the skill that lets you slow down time while aiming.

I honestly am stumped. I'm doing a third playthrough and it's only to get these Keys. Once I find these last two I'll be on my way to doing a Classic playthrough for the Plat.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Finished it on nightmare with 23 hours and 57 minutes on counter.
Game was good, really solid but it wasnt horror enough for me. Some real tense moments like
where have to open the vault door and you have to wait by getting ambushed by lots of enemies including the creepy knife cubt, second was the cabin fight wich got me more killed the it should and the Fire walk with me part with no syringes and allmost nothing on bullets. Damn these guys hit hard.
But the boss fights were easy. Myra was cool designed tho but easy as cake. Only died once on purpose since i ran out of bullets, the rest was cake.
Fun game overall.. not memorable and a boring story imo.. i would give it a 7/10.. while the first game was less polished and even more boring it did kept my wanting more and the encounters were good plus environment. Thats why i gave that one a 8/10

One of the most brutally OP weapons in all of gaming.

It's so satisfying and so much fun that I actually don't mind how effortless it make things.

Yeah, somehow they made the smoke bolts even more broken than the flash bolts in the first game.

Edit: Okay, so this is the 4th(!) time the game has crashed on me on default PS4. Between this and the framerate issues, let alone the various AI bugs and bizarre exploits, I really gotta wonder how rushed out this game was.

I've completed the game on survival earlier this week but didn't get to post it here because... Well... You know...

Final play time 25 hours, still missing 2 keys (one from the range) and 2 documents.

In the end I would say TEW2 is an overall more polished product, but doesn't quite have the same unique/memorable stages as in TEW1. It took awhile to get used to the pacing of the combat, especially with the pistol, but once I do it's back to business. The slow-mo was worth the 8 chapters it took to save up for it and max pistol crit is as OP as I had hoped.

The story... I'm actually genuinely satisfied by the ending. Like on an emotional level I thought it was a satisfying conclusion. To me it seems like they made it with the expectation that this could potentially be the last one, but yet still leaving one or two threads in the off chance they get a third chance, namely
Joseph and Ruvik

In summary I'm glad this series didn't end with just the first game, and while the second game had different set of problems I'll be okay if it does end here. However if there is a third game, I hope they could somehow take the lessons they've learn from both 1 and 2 and improve on both of them.

I've completed the game on survival earlier this week but didn't get to post it here because... Well... You know...

Final play time 25 hours, still missing 2 keys (one from the range) and 2 documents.

In the end I would say TEW2 is an overall more polished product, but doesn't quite have the same unique/memorable stages as in TEW1. It took awhile to get used to the pacing of the combat, especially with the pistol, but once I do it's back to business. The slow-mo was worth the 8 chapters it took to save up for it and max pistol crit is as OP as I had hoped.

The story... I'm actually genuinely satisfied by the ending. Like on an emotional level I thought it was a satisfying conclusion. To me it seems like they made it with the expectation that this could potentially be the last one, but yet still leaving one or two threads in the off chance they get a third chance, namely
Joseph and Ruvik

In summary I'm glad this series didn't end with just the first game, and while the second game had different set of problems I'll be okay if it does end here. However if there is a third game, I hope they could somehow take the lessons they've learn from both 1 and 2 and improve on both of them.

You should definitely play the game on Nightmare as it dramatically improves the combat as far as I'm concerned. It makes it feel more like TEW1 (though I still prefer that game).

tassletine

I've got stuck on Stefano playing on Survival. Lowering the difficulty doesn't help much as I've no ammo and you constantly have to lower the difficulty every time you reload.

Getting knifed / tentacled to death repeatedly out of nowhere isn't doing it for me on a gameplay level, with the loading times being what they are. The loading times aren't that long, just long enough to grate on this fight.

I really liked the game up until now, it's not as good as the first, granted, but this fight demonstrated how much better the gameplay was in the first game. In the original I played the game through on nightmare and spent 3 hours on the burning house section alone -- but I always felt the gameplay was tight and fair. Even when you were being pursued you got a sense of where the enemy was, but not here. Here everything is a bit spongy, I can't get the quick turn to reliably execute, and the quick change dial is often unresponsive.

I mainly play games for the gameplay and whilst I can commend the designers for doing a good job toning it down (just enough) for a mass market, I think it's suffered a bit too much in the gameplay and atmosphere dept.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm at the last chapter, and my main gripe so far is that there were very few bosses. The first game tosses so many memorable encounters your way. What happened here ? What we did get was good though.

I've got stuck on Stefano playing on Survival. Lowering the difficulty doesn't help much as I've no ammo and you constantly have to lower the difficulty every time you reload.

Getting knifed / tentacled to death repeatedly out of nowhere isn't doing it for me on a gameplay level, with the loading times being what they are. The loading times aren't that long, just long enough to grate on this fight.

I really liked the game up until now, it's not as good as the first, granted, but this fight demonstrated how much better the gameplay was in the first game. In the original I played the game through on nightmare and spent 3 hours on the burning house section alone -- but I always felt the gameplay was tight and fair. Even when you were being pursued you got a sense of where the enemy was, but not here. Here everything is a bit spongy, I can't get the quick turn to reliably execute, and the quick change dial is often unresponsive.

I mainly play games for the gameplay and whilst I can commend the designers for doing a good job toning it down (just enough) for a mass market, I think it's suffered a bit too much in the gameplay and atmosphere dept.

I didn’t have any problem with that fight on survival. I don’t exactly remember what I did but it involves lots of running in circles and counting the sound of his teleports, he does it 4 times before stopping I think.

It also helps to drop an explosive/shock mine on the ground and bait him into it.

If it helps I had my input layout for quick turn to be O

Kazuhira

If you're on pc,you can use a command and play it in first person.
I've tested it for like an hour yesterday in ch3 and it holds up pretty well.

1) Launch your game with parameter "+com_allowconsole 1"
2) In game press Insert key to bring console
3) type "pl_FPS 1"

Interesting. I tried stealth stabbing him without the smoke and it not was an option. So I assumed for some reason he was impervious to stabs. If that is the case he will be cake. I also have a few smoke arrows in my locker as well so it is not like they are a precious resource right now. Thank you.

There are 3 of those guys (Harbingers is their official name) in that area. I stealth killed them my first time through without using smoke arrows. It's very tricky and your timing has to be just right because they turn around quickly as you approach them, but it can be done. It takes 3 stealth attacks to kill them, so a lot of hit and run action is required.

tassletine

I didn’t have any problem with that fight on survival. I don’t exactly remember what I did but it involves lots of running in circles and counting the sound of his teleports, he does it 4 times before stopping I think.

It also helps to drop an explosive/shock mine on the ground and bait him into it.

If it helps I had my input layout for quick turn to be O

Thanks for the tips. I'm out of any bow ammo though. That seems to be the main tactic and none are dropped during the fight.

I'm at the last chapter, and my main gripe so far is that there were very few bosses. The first game tosses so many memorable encounters your way. What happened here ? What we did get was good though.

This is disappointing. Still on Ch6 and I loved the bosses in the first game. So much variety and they were pretty tough. I've only fought 2 bosses so far and they were cool but nothing special so far like Laura, chainsaw guy and safe box head from the 1st game.

Although I think it faltered in some ways, I like that they tried some things different with the open world design, and fiddling with the combat mechanics, story presentation etc. It felt like a real sequel and not just TEW++, ya know? I still prefer the more tightly designed linear levels of the first, and I really missed having the matches as an option to get rid of multiple enemies without spending ammunition. But if I want those things I can always pop in TEW1. I hope that if there's a sequel they take what they learned from both and make something else that's different.

nkarafo

Ok i finished the whole game now and i was kinda disappointed. The only chapters i liked where the few open world ones. That's because the traditional linear ones were inferior compared to the first game. The open world ones were at least different so you didn't have to compare them.

Also the story was just some generic over emotional drivel. Couldn't stand the last few chapters.

I call the lava monsters "Charging Chucks" since they do that shoulder ram move those enemies do in Super Mario World.

Just thought I'd mention it.

This is disappointing. Still on Ch6 and I loved the bosses in the first game. So much variety and they were pretty tough. I've only fought 2 bosses so far and they were cool but nothing special so far like Laura, chainsaw guy and safe box head from the 1st game.

Heh, yeah it's a shame that the bosses in this game don't live up to those three. Keep playing though, there's plenty of memorable stuff here!

-MD-

I beat him first try on nightmare, his patterns were really predictable. I did get hit by a couple knives and a tentacle but I just sprinted away with my near infinite stamina and healed up, I was absolutely stacked with ammo going into that fight though. I don't use the quick 180 turn because it just looks bad.

But yeah you're not wrong, the first game is a lot better. Never did I think I'd still be working my way through the sequel to one of my favorite games ever ~2 weeks after it launched.

Kazuhira

But yeah you're not wrong, the first game is a lot better. Never did I think I'd still be working my way through the sequel to one of my favorite games ever ~2 weeks after it launched.

Sorry to hear you didn't like it,i know you love the first game just as much as i do.

Chabbles

This game is fucking brilliant, its awhole other beast to what the first one was. Chapter 3 feels like SH downpour done right. .. 15 hours in on chapter 12 or 13, its one long ass game too.

-MD-

Sorry to hear you didn't like it,i know you love the first game just as much as i do.

Don't get me wrong it's a good game and I'm having an alright time with it, it's just not gonna be in my list of all time favorites like the original ended up being.

Finally finished this up today. Playing on Nightmare and my total time was about 26 hours. I really enjoyed it. Very difficult game and during the final boss I ran out of ammo, health, and ingredients so I had to drag it out by
waiting for the little spider things to give me enough mats to make a couple handgun bullets at a time, lol

Overall, I really enjoyed the game, although after reading a lot of impressions, I seem be of the very unpopular opinion that the game actually decreases in quality in the final third. Aside from the final boss, everything after Chapter 11 seemed to be such a slog to get through, when compared to the amazing previous sections. I think a lot of it had to do with the emphasis on the fire enemies, which were never fun to fight. Also, recycling the first game's bosses in place of potentially new memorable encounters was a bit of a disappointment. Anyone else agree, or am I completely alone on this?

I'm of the same opinion. For me, the game was outstanding early on. Had a lot of Silent Hill vibes to me and I loved Ch. 3 and Ch.6 due to the open ended nature. Early on, it also had an aura of mysteriousness to me, which I felt was lacking in the latter half of the game. I certainly enjoyed the whole package but everything after beating
Stefano
was where I started to feel it dipped in quality. The environments were pretty bland to me, and
the whole Sebastian not getting over his guilt thing was dragged out way too long to where it was annoying me. Theodore was really boring and annoying. I wasn't as big on the fire enemies either but I did like the throwback to the first game's bosses. Brought a smile to my face.

I did thoroughly enjoy Ch. 16. Very poignant music, beautiful environment, and I really felt for Sebastian's plight and quest to get his daughter back at all costs. Also, Ch. 16 was giving me a lot of Inception vibes which I loved because that's one of my favorite movies. Very obvious inspiration they drew from here.

Seeing as how the sales aren't looking so hot (I didn't expect them to be), I'm sad that they may not make anymore.
I do like how they left some story elements though in case a sequel ever does get made. Particularly the Joseph being alive still and it being a "long story." I'd also love to see Ruvik come back and find out whatever happened to him after he escaped STEM.
One can dream!

Question.
Is there any incentive to explore or defeat enemies on the unlockable, hardest difficulty? Or since you can't upgrade anything is it best just to simply avoid encounters and exploring as much as possible to reach your goal
?

Question.
Is there any incentive to explore or defeat enemies on the unlockable, hardest difficulty? Or since you can't upgrade anything is it best just to simply avoid encounters and exploring as much as possible to reach your goal
?

Honestly if you're playing classic mode it should no longer be about exploring because you should know where everything is.

At that point it should be about optimizing your route and minimizing your risk because of that 7 save file limitation.

Jharp

Just finished it. Easily my GOTY, even beyond Mario and Zelda.

Loved the story, despite some pretty glaring plot holes and some of the cheesy and formulaic dialogue. I loved how it ended with
Seb and Lilly literally driving off into the sunset together.

And now I really fucking want a third game where
Lilly is an adult detective
for KCPD and gets called out to the ruins of Beacon and... take it from there, Shinji Mikami. A lot of potential to get a Silent Hill 3-esque motif going on. Would be so fucking rad, so hopefully it becomes a possibility, given this game's sales shortcomings.

Also looking forward to rescuing
Joseph
in a DLC expansion.

And finally, I wish more games with really fun combat would do something akin to Resident Evil: Revelations 2's Raid 2.0 mode. That shit was so fun, and more games need to follow suit, especially something like The Evil Within 2. Such fun combat. Turn some of the levels into arcade style combat sandboxes.

sphinx

the piano man
Also looking forward to rescuing
Joseph
in a DLC expansion.

I'll take 3 DLC campaigns and pay full price for it:

1.-
Joseph

2.-
Sykes, probably in some part of that STEM limbo

3.-
Stefano, with some cool photograph mechanic as attacks or something

not really interested in playing as either
Myra or Theodore.

Question.
?

You shouldn't be exploring or fighting ANYTHING you don't have to, ideally. Classic is about getting through the game as efficiently as possible and you need to minimize risk and save ammo for the fights you can't skip (like bosses, or the fire bubble).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I figured it would be best to ask here, can you craft ammo in The Evil Within 1? I've gone back to it (not played since release) after loving number 2 but I can't for the life of me remember a crafting system and I'm always really low on ammo. My save was on chapter 3 so I've probably missed any tutorial for it, I probably should have started a new save but I really hated the opening playing cat and mouse with the fat fucker.

Top Bottom