• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Gbraga

Just reached Chapter 6 after leaving the City Hall. I'm still loving this game, what a ride! I really really hope Bethesda takes another chance, because I need my Ruvik Returns: The Evil Within 3.

The minigame at chapter 4 was so much fun, and that final line after you finish everything... How can people still say that the game takes itself too seriously? Hahaha.

I like that they're already teasing a second villain after Stefano. Seems like a good way to handle this game, assuming they were thinking of making a third one. They'd use this middle entry to better establish Sebastian's character, give him a personal story, expand on Mobius and their intentions, and then save Ruvik's return for the third game. So since they're keeping the main antagonist that was so good in the first one out of the picture (or at least I'm assuming they are), they'll make up for it with two different villains to make things more interesting. As fun as Stefano is, he's obviously no Ruvik, and not just in a direct comparison of "which one is my favorite", but his overall importance to that world.

I like that they have a Bullet Cascade counter on the screen, it helps to make it feel like it's actually making a difference, instead of leaving the player wondering if it's even working properly. I already have basically everything I really want (aside from the bullet time skill, but that's way too expensive), so I'll start grabbing random shit from now on. I was worried it would take me longer to develop my character.

Maybe they'll get old later on, but so far I'm also really enjoying the Marrow. Exploring these connected underground tunnels accentuates the idea that this is an artificial, handcrafted world. Some of the story stuff you pick up there gave me some Westworld vibes, that was nice. Even though you can't actually explore them non-linearly, just opening the map and seeing the area you visited previously on that same floor gives it a stronger sense of place.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finished this earlier and have no idea how I feel overall, need to let it settle.

Definitely prefer 1 though, as rough as it may be. 2 is still fine but I'm just not sure about a lot of these changes, the open world hubs end up falling flat overall when it has this much of an impact on enemy encounters. Stealth is way too simple/overpowered, and the AI is incredibly dumb and easy to game.

dlauv

Was there also a good story reason for them to be weak to axes? Fire not killing enemies instantly is just a really unnecessary nerf when you don't even have matches anymore. It is making the combat less fun.

Axes usually kill in one hit unless it's a biggan. Same as the first game. Like, what enemies aren't dying?

Stomp on them after they fall down from fire.

eXistor

Finished it a few days ago. Overall a solid, fun game, but a definite step back from the first game (which had issues as well). I don't know what it is, but the game feels very dialed back. The first game had so much more personality and variety, this seems almost demure. The open-world parts were pretty good, but very derivative and the more linear parts just felt like they were made by copycats that don't quite have a grasp on how these things work. I have no idea of most of the original team worked on it or not (I know Mikami didn't direct it though), but it feels like a westernised version of the original and not in a good way (then again, is it ever?).

I enjoyed the game though, played on Nightmare, which was actually incredibly easy, I can't even imagine what a cakewalk lower difficulties must be. I consistently had a good time and it never really dropped off in qaulity like the first one did towards the end though the part at the end where
you control Kidman was laughably bad and woefully underdeveloped, who the hell thought that was a good idea?
. Also the character models are ugly as sin, again having that horrid westernised look where they look like emotionless dolls with discerning features.

Overall a decent follow-up, but held back too much. Did they try to appeal to the masses this way? That would be incredibly short-sighted, but I wouldn't be surprised.

UrbanRats

One thing I heard is that the skill that reduces the sound of your footsteps is actually better (and cheaper gel wise) than the predator skill. The final (third?) upgrade lets you sprint up to enemies to stealth kill them and the enemy won't hear you.

Gotta try it, in the next run.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I finished it yesterday and loved it, the final boss looked incredible, such an amazing design. Overall it was just a lot of fun to play, the gameplay was great. A solid 8/10 from me.

psychotron

Got to chapter 14 today. 26 hours in and I’m ready to put this game on my all time favorites list. There is so much content here if you’re willing to explore.

Yeah i need to go back on the hardest difficulty now I've beaten the game and farm some of that ammo doing more stealth kills and exploring etc. Game is amazing and anyone who loves survival horror should pick this one up :)

Plumpman

This was one of the best games I've played all year.
Dragged a bit during the middle, but the home stretch was brilliant.

I'm not sure how this performed sales wise, but we need more games like this!

Erdrick

Made it to chapter 4 last night. Exploring all over and taking my time. I love the atmosphere and the subtle improvements that they have made in this game. Very, very solid game. Looking forward to seeing what is next. Any idea how this is selling?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This was one of the best games I've played all year.
Dragged a bit during the middle, but the home stretch was brilliant.

I'm not sure how this performed sales wise, but we need more games like this!

I heard it sold poorly which is a shame, the PC port needs some optimisation but apart from that it was really good, far worse games have sold gangbusters. I enjoyed my 12 hours with it a lot.

Okay guys, I'm at the pit stop. Playing on nightmare. The crawly guys showed up, and I see they're pretty tough. An axe one shots them, but aside from that, it takes about 5-6 headshots with pistol.

I've stealth killed every zombie in town at this point, and leveled nothing but stealth really.
So I'm sad to see there doesn't seem to be a stealth attack for these fellows, or even a stomp move when they're stunned...

How does one best take care of these guys? Will I have to start using my ammo?

For now, I've avoided spawning them by running around the other side of the building. They're only worth 1000 gel each, and I'd hate to blow through my precious ammo I've been saving..

Okay guys, I'm at the pit stop. Playing on nightmare. The crawly guys showed up, and I see they're pretty tough. An axe one shots them, but aside from that, it takes about 5-6 headshots with pistol.

I've stealth killed every zombie in town at this point, and leveled nothing but stealth really.
So I'm sad to see there doesn't seem to be a stealth attack for these fellows, or even a stomp move when they're stunned...

How does one best take care of these guys? Will I have to start using my ammo?

For now, I've avoided spawning them by running around the other side of the building. They're only worth 1000 gel each, and I'd hate to blow through my precious ammo I've been saving..

Honestly I just avoid them since playing on nightmare mode. Only if I feel I have to fight them do I.

Been wanting to discuss this, I finally beat it. Its not as good as the first, still a great game though. Last stretch of chapters were by far the best and its when the game started to feel as imaginative as the first. Chapter 14 was everything the game should have been, its what so much of the first game was, its what RE4 is in nearly every room. The clear difference from that levels encounter and the usual encounters you get throughout the game show why this game is a slight let down.

Its also telling that the best boss battle in the game is
just a collection of bosses from the first game.
. There are weird glitches and terrible AI with some of the enemies, especially later ones. Sometimes stealth attacks work, sometimes it doesn't, there seems to be no method to it.

The story is more focused and makes sense compared to the first but I feel it loses a lot of personality. I enjoyed the characters from the first game much more, the mystery of the first game kept me engaged. The final chapters really bring the story home from a cheesy melodramatic one to a story with an actual good ending.

Game is still a bunch of fun, I cant get enough of games like this. I just wish it had more of the Mikami design all throughout.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game on nightmare this past Saturday in just under 49 hours. An excellent game with some things that I liked more than the first but also disliked a few things.

SPOILERS -

+ Visually, TEW2 is obviously better, crisper and cleaner. Also runs and plays a lot better.
+ Story and characters were better than the first game and while not great, I enjoyed it for what it was.
+ The stealth was excellent.
+Music, sound and voice acting was great, good and solid.
+ Gameplay was overall better than the first game but the camera was still my number one complaint when aiming. Just too damn close.
+ Unlike the first Evil Within and Resident Evil VII, TEW2 had a far better last third of the game with just overall better quality, an excellent final boss fight and a good ending.
+ Boss fights were overall equal to the first game for me for different reasons but all enjoyable.
+ Good crafting, skill tree and weapon grading. I love all this stuff.
+ Solid set of collectables which isn't overwhelming.
+ You actually get rewarded when acquiring collectables.
+ Shooting Gallery mini-game.
+ The open ended areas/chapters were good for what they were.
+ Loved the linear chapters.
+ Removal of the black bars. I simply hate this is any video game as I don't believe that it fits nor belongs simply because im playing a video game, not watching a movie.

- Horrible auto saving. I literally lost 45 minutes and 90 minutes of progress because the game didn't auto save. Wasn't able to manually save because the game crashed on me and kicked me out to the PS4 dashboard at least four times in the game. Worse one was the 90 minute crash as I had just completed 90% of the shooting gallery. It all went down the drain. Thankfully, I did eventually complete it all.
- Bad partner AI. Esmeralda literally chased around the fire guys who were chasing me and did nothing. She has a machine gun!!! WTF??? This drove me nuts.
- Glitch AI partner. When fighting Liam, Yukiko literally follows me during the fight and is standing the entire time when she was supposed to be stuck in the room that was on fire.
- Atmosphere and immersion was good but was better in first two thirds of the first game.
- Disliked the "re-spawing of enemies".
- Puzzles were virtually non-existent. A few minor ones and all easy.
- No traps. Loved all the traps in the first game and how you had to escape them.
- No Molotovs...with the Bow/Bolts, I understand why but would have preferred them to remain.
- The removal of the match/burning mechanic. Wish they would have retained this.
- Ghost Lady character that appears and follows/chases you at times.
- Flashback scenes to the original game which included the black bars.
- First Person chapter but thankfully, it was short. It made sense but should have been in third person as opposed to first person.

Think that's pretty much it. Overall, enjoyed the game especially the last third. A lot of good chapters throughout. The open ended chapters were good for what they were but also a weak point in my opinion. Game is basically the opposite of the first game in regards to positives and negatives. Same rating as the original game - 8.5/10.

O.DOGG

Can't get enough of this game. On my third play through.

I also finished it twice, once on Survival, once on Nightmare, and was about to start a third playthrough on NG+ Nightmare in first person (it really makes it a different game) when I decided I just had to do something else. I will be playing through it again just not yet. I hope the game's sales pick up, they made a great game here.

kodecraft

I also finished it twice, once on Survival, once on Nightmare, and was about to start a third playthrough on NG+ Nightmare in first person (it really makes it a different game) when I decided I just had to do something else. I will be playing through it again just not yet. I hope the game's sales pick up, they made a great game here.

Hm, how do you play in first person?

Voliko

I beat it today on Nightmare. I think the first game was better in pretty much every way and it didn't need a sequel at all. The open ended level design shifts the focus to scavenging for supplies and stealth. The stealth is super OP and is hardly any different from the first game's stealth. For me, I'd rather have a well designed arena type fight with a unique gimmick or two than look around the open environment for the majority of the game. The writing and dialouge were really weak in this one. Miss Seb's old VA. No mystery or nuance to the story at all. First game always kept you guessing. Forgettable and unnecessary characters everywhere in this one. The first game used STEM's potential for many unique environments and crazy scenarios well. This one, by nature of the story, had too many samey and boring environments like the tunnels and the Americana town. Overall enjoyed the game but a big step down for me. Probably selling this, classic sounds terrible given that the game crashed on me at least 5 times. I'd rather do Akumu again with no upgrades.

O.DOGG

Hm, how do you play in first person?

It's only available for PC via console command. Read about it here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/23/the-evil-within-2-is-even-spookier-in-first-person-mode/

Basically start the game from a shortcut with +com_allowconsole 1. This will enable the in-game console. Access it with the INSERT key and type
Code:
pl_FPS 1

The FPS mode is very functional and makes the game much scarier, though may be a bit wonky in places. I found the knife attack from cover a bit difficult to pull off in FPS but it's doable. You can see video at the link above.

kodecraft

It's only available for PC via console command. Read about it here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/23/the-evil-within-2-is-even-spookier-in-first-person-mode/

Basically start the game from a shortcut with +com_allowconsole 1. This will enable the in-game console. Access it with the INSERT key and type
Code:
pl_FPS 1

The FPS mode is very functional and makes the game much scarier, though may be a bit wonky in places. I found the knife attack from cover a bit difficult to pull off in FPS but it's doable. You can see video at the link above.

Ok cool, yea I'm on PC. Will read about it.

Thanks.

You guys think PS4 will droop any soon? Compared to PC it's more then double....
I hate paying 50€ for PS4 game and then drops to 40 or less :p

Jharp

Loving the game up and down. Just beat
Stefano
and making my way through the catacombs.

But man, it's 2017 and we're still having un-skippable cut scenes before hard fights? Yea, they aren't three minute long expository scenes, but still, I had to watch the same canned animations before that first big fight outside of Union town hall while trying to figure out how to beat that (mini)boss. WHY?!

Then when you meet up with Sykes, I have to watch him climb onto the overturned truck each try. How about you make me watch it once, then every other attempt, just play out the dialogue while I kill shit, Tango? What if that was a thing? Also, when the second wave comes in, how about we don't take control away from the player while enemies are freely allowed to get right next to me and attack me the second I regain control? What if that?

Minor annoyances in an otherwise GOTY contender, but annoyances nonetheless.

O.DOGG

Loving the game up and down. Just beat
Stefano
and making my way through the catacombs.

But man, it's 2017 and we're still having un-skippable cut scenes before hard fights? Yea, they aren't three minute long expository scenes, but still, I had to watch the same canned animations before that first big fight outside of Union town hall while trying to figure out how to beat that (mini)boss. WHY?!

Then when you meet up with Sykes, I have to watch him climb onto the overturned truck each try. How about you make me watch it once, then every other attempt, just play out the dialogue while I kill shit, Tango? What if that was a thing? Also, when the second wave comes in, how about we don't take control away from the player while enemies are freely allowed to get right next to me and attack me the second I regain control? What if that?

Minor annoyances in an otherwise GOTY contender, but annoyances nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure you can skip the animation in front of the town hall, as I died a couple of times there. The one with Sykes I'm not so sure about.

Xpliskin

Feels good to be able to post again.

I'm enjoying the game a lot despite minor gripes.

I just hope the story doesn't go where I think it's going.

Jharp

I'm pretty sure you can skip the animation in front of the town hall, as I died a couple of times there. The one with Sykes I'm not so sure about.

You can skip most of it. Once the camera pans to the "eye in the sky," the prompt to skip the cut scene shows up, but you still have to watch Seb slowly walk towards the fountain and get all wigged out before that happens. It's maybe 10-15 seconds, but that's long enough to be annoying.

O.DOGG

You can skip most of it. Once the camera pans to the "eye in the sky," the prompt to skip the cut scene shows up, but you still have to watch Seb slowly walk towards the fountain and get all wigged out before that happens. It's maybe 10-15 seconds, but that's long enough to be annoying.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I agree, it is annoying but at least it's better than watching the whole thing every time.

Last few chapters were fantastic. Loved the music, the structure of the finale, the high stakes. Wasn't really feeling the story up til then but from chapter 14 on I became really invested. I agree that the design of the final boss was amazing.

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I really appreciated your posts and learned about a lot of good horror titles thanks to you. Hope to see ya on the other forum

Neff

I asked this in another thread. Why did I get the classic outfit if I didn't complete the game on classic mode?

I beat Survival once and didn't get it. I beat Survival again on a different file (no NG+) and unlocked it, but I don't know how.

It's great, it makes the game somehow feel much more like an authentic TEW2 than the default Naughty Dog half tuck.

DirtyLarry

I resorted to posting to Reddit the post few days having withdrawal not being able to post here.

All I can say is my post count is pretty damn low. I average just over 1 post a day.
That is because I never cared about the drama or off topic shit or anything else.
I joined this site because I play video games.

The only threads I am what can be considered as remotely active in are OT threads. I enjoy discussing playing a game and enjoy seeing other people who are playing the same game share their experience as well. I especially enjoy it for a game like this one as it feels like we are all in on a secret.

So just wanted to say glad this thread is back. I am only on Chapter 12 I think it is so I have quite a way to go before I beat the game. But it is a thread like this I believe makes GAF what it is.

Just beat this on Nightmare, playtime was one day. It felt like an Evil Within game but definitely did not feel like a Mikami game at all. Not sure if that makes sense but it's how I feel haha. My favorite parts of the game were actually the open areas. I usually don't dig open world games, but these areas were small enough while still having a sense of freedom, but extremely compact.

It felt like there were a greater variety of enemies in this game, though boss fights/recurring stalkers left something to be desired compared to the trio of The Keeper/Laura/Ruvik.
Stephano
was easily the best antagonist/boss fight by far. As is the case with most games where you gain experience/upgrades and have some degree of freedom, I felt way too OP about two thirds into the game, so it made the game a little less exhilerating by that point.

I enjoyed the story and the side characters actually... It was much easier to follow this time... Not necessarily a positive or a negative, just different. I feel like the game was more cohesive this time around, and everything came together pretty nicely. I had a blast pretty much the whole time I was playing, and it will surely be high up in my GOTY list. I don't think it's as good as the first game, which I still consider to be the best game available on PS4.

Any chance Mikami has been working on something else while he handed over the rains of TEW? I'd love a new franchise from him, horror or otherwise.
Or Vanquish 2 :D

Astral

I was thinking about it a lot today and none of the setpieces in this game come close to the ones in the first game, like the cabin fight, the Kidman rescue, the one in that pool of blood in chapter 5 I believe, the gondola, or the one in the final chapter. It’s disappointing.

Ombra

I'm trying to get back into this game its not pulling me in like the first one at all. I even got the guide for posterity:(

I resorted to posting to Reddit the post few days having withdrawal not being able to post here.

All I can say is my post count is pretty damn low. I average just over 1 post a day.
That is because I never cared about the drama or off topic shit or anything else.
I joined this site because I play video games.

The only threads I am what can be considered as remotely active in are OT threads. I enjoy discussing playing a game and enjoy seeing other people who are playing the same game share their experience as well. I especially enjoy it for a game like this one as it feels like we are all in on a secret.

So just wanted to say glad this thread is back. I am only on Chapter 12 I think it is so I have quite a way to go before I beat the game. But it is a thread like this I believe makes GAF what it is.
Welcome back!

Still enjoying this so much. I dunno what it is, but I just love this franchise so much. Still working my way through Ch. 6 and I think I've just crossed 13 hours on Nightmare. I love that it's a meaty game I can take my time with. At no point during that time has any of it ever been boring, frustrating, or a drag. Every time I play I have a goal in mind of which area I want to clear out or explore, and it just keeps going from there. Excellent game and can't wait to keep working my through. :)

Rien

Jelly Belly
Started chapter 15 yesterday.. didnt really feel chapter 14 tho,
the setting was cool but it was a bit cheap to recycle boss(y) elements of the first game, but happy to manage to clear the chapter in one go. Wich was great since i died a lot of times in chapter 13 at the FWWM part.. that was by far the hardest part so far, especaily without syringes on nightmare. needed to reload an older save to scavenge the area before a bit for more herbs and needed to hit the shooting range for a bit extra. That done i beat it in one time tho.
Still having a good time but the first was the better game imo.

Kazuhira

I asked this in another thread. Why did I get the classic outfit if I didn't complete the game on classic mode?

If you had a cutscene with Seb finding his old revolver from TEW1 then that means you completed all the ghost lady segments,which also rewarded you with the classic outfit after beating the game.
The only exclusive reward from Classic is infinite ammo afaik.

CyberChulo

I am so afraid of using my ammo on regular dudes for fear that I won't have enough for tougher fights. I'm assuming stealth kills are required throughout the game? I'm on Chapter 7. I just want to know if anyone who has passed the game went in guns blazing and always had ammo ready for the boss fights.

Skulldead

Started chapter 15 yesterday.. didnt really feel chapter 14 tho,
the setting was cool but it was a bit cheap to recycle boss(y) elements of the first game, but happy to manage to clear the chapter in one go. Wich was great since i died a lot of times in chapter 13 at the FWWM part.. that was by far the hardest part so far, especaily without syringes on nightmare. needed to reload an older save to scavenge the area before a bit for more herbs and needed to hit the shooting range for a bit extra. That done i beat it in one time tho.
Still having a good time but the first was the better game imo.

HAHA weird I thought that chapter 14 was really refreshing. For Seb character developement i think it was one of the strongest moment. After that horrible chapter 13 (before section the intense moment you mention)

If you had a cutscene with Seb finding his old revolver from TEW1 then that means you completed all the ghost lady segments,which also rewarded you with the classic outfit after beating the game.
The only exclusive reward from Classic is infinite ammo afaik.

Alright, that makes sense. I used that revolver as soon as I got it. FTW.

Top Bottom