• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

FiveSide

Banned
Man I loved this game, the gameplay and setting were miles ahead of what the first game was.

Then I played the climax a
nd all my love went out the window and I just wanted the game to end and stop wasting my time with it's terrible story and melodramatic bullshit. What an unsatisfying ending to what was shaping up to be a great game.

Huh, surprised at this. I thought the finale was strong, a bit of a recovery after an underwhelming middle act.

Story wasn't literary-grade but it did what it was supposed to do. There were clear, overarching objectives and themes that were fully and competently resolved.

Never thought I'd be the one in an Evil Within thread defending the story, I thought the first game's was pretty abysmal all things considered.

Just got to Chapter 5, and still really enjoying the heck out of this. I love the feeling of getting better at combat while at the same time improving Seb's stats and weapons. I was dying a ton early on even in 1-vs-1 encounters (playing on Nightmare) but even vs. groups now, I feel like I have a good shot at making it out in one piece.

Chapter 4:
The battle in the Marrow while waiting for the doors to unlock was incredibly intense!
Used up a lot of ammo and health during that part, but I made it and have gotten most of my supplies restocked since.

Smoke bolts were the most useless items in the game, it said you can do stealth kills while their in the smoke....but It never worked at all whatsoever.
Weird...it has for me. You made sure you're crouching while trying this, right?

kodecraft

NOW we're talking true cinematic TEW experience

Cinematic Fake Jill!

It's interesting to see so many down with the letterboxing all of a sudden when there was such an out pour of dislike when the first game came out.

I for one dug the letterbox and played the first TEW on PC, even when they patched the option to disable it in.

I want to play the game how the creators envisioned it.

rtcn63

It's interesting to see so many down with the letterboxing all of a sudden when there was such an out pour of dislike when the first game came out.

I for one dug the letterbox and played the first TEW on PC, even when they patched the option to disable it in.

Limiting your view didn't help the immersion at all. And I originally played TEW letterboxed. It's no different than a game pushing a 30fps cinematic experience- just don't.

Do stealth kills not actually kill the zombies?

There are these L4D witch-style enemies that look like standard zombies but require 2-3 stealth kills.

Quick dumb question: just how bad is Evil Within 1 on PS4? I have it on PC and love it and it'd be cool to have on console, too. I can handle 30fps, but if it's consistently worse than that, I won't bother.

The performance on the standard PS4 ist not really good. They improved it after several patches, I think, but there are still slowdowns and stuttering.
On the PS4 Pro with boost mode enabled, it`s a solid 30 FPS most of the time.

joe2187

Banned
and the combat encounters basically fall apart, in throw away levels that exist just to pepper the next story bit, and a really cool
looking midboss and final boss that are disappointingly easy.
I was pretty down on it last night after finishing too, but now I'm psyched to go back in with new unlocks as the game was riding high for me all the way up to chapter 13.

Huh, surprised at this. I thought the finale was strong, a bit of a recovery after an underwhelming middle act.

Story wasn't literary-grade but it did what it was supposed to do. There were clear, overarching objectives and themes that were fully and competently resolved.

Never thought I'd be the one in an Evil Within thread defending the story, I thought the first game's was pretty abysmal all things considered.

Its more of the fact that
they literally padded as much as the could out of the game, there were so many scenes and encounters that were just unnecessary. I was just going through the motions after killing father Theodore really. Nothing new or exciting, I knew the end was coming but was just simply waiting for it to end since they effectively blocked off any sort of game freedom that you had in the beginning and turned it into one big drawn out corridor. Controlling Kidman killing the men in black and her dramatic yet pointless showdown with THE MAN. A fucking villain who doesnt even have a name, or presence in the game really. The whole orginization behind STEM and how fucking easy it was to just kill off the entirety of it with a single button press...(WHY WOULD THE BOSS PUT A CHIP IN HIS OWN HEAD!?) The entire ending sequence made me feel like I wasted my time and soured my entire enjoyment of the game because none of it made sense even within the context of the game world....unless the context of the game world is everyone is a giant idiot.

Beat the game, thought it was pretty good. Better than 1 where 1 left me with a lukewarm feeling.

Can't wait to start my classic mode playthrough

Do you have to do those computer bits? I did the first one and thought it was dumb, but don't know if I'll be skipping anything important. If I remember correctly the first just gave supplies

Kazuhira

Smoke bolts were the most useless items in the game, it said you can do stealth kills while their in the smoke....but It never worked at all whatsoever.

I haven't upgraded it yet,but people say that it's just as useful as the flash bolt from the first game.
You need level 3 to unlock the ability.

Playing this game with a friend taking turns until we beat it this month as our Halloween game.

I will write up my thoughts at the end, I never played the first game and went into this one blind.

So far its a mixed bag but I’m not hating my time with it. If I was taking the story and game seriously I might be pretty disappointed but as a fun game to play with a buddy and laugh about stuff its hitting all the right spots.

Frillen

Chapter 14 boss

I thought you guys said the fight would be easier with the flamethrower. I used all my ammo and she didn't die.

You need a gel upgrade to stealth kill in smoke.
I have upgraded my stealth abilities to move faster while crouching (1 level) and have quieter footsteps (2 levels). It's one of these, right?

I haven't upgraded it yet,but people say that it's just as useful as the flash bolt from the first game.
You need level 3 to unlock the ability.
I haven't upgraded my bolts at all and can pull off stealth kills in the smoke. I think it's (also?) tied into having the quieter footsteps upgrade.

Sanctuary

Hmm, I didn't get that quote. I got "There is something strange about this room that I can't put my finger on" or something like that. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that I needed to look in the mirror to figure out where to go.

Not sure if this counts as embarrassingly long, but it took me around a minute, because I tried various doors before looking at the
mirror
. Problem is though, I don't know if you're supposed to
go through any random door first and then look in the mirror, or simply look at the mirror first before going into any door, because even when you know what door you're supposed to go through, going through it the first time without looking into the mirror forces you back into the room until you look at it. Actually, I think the "There's is something strange" dialogue only happens if you end up that same room a second time, not upon first entering. I think Sebastian does comment on the mirror, but you have to already be close to it anyway, and he also comments on how the reflection is his old self.

The best weapons to level up are the pistol and the crossbow harpoon and shock bolts.

Once you up the critical on the pistol, you'll be getting one shot headshot kills nearly 70 percent of the time. Same with harpoon bolts when you up the damage and they're easy to craft. Shock bolts are a godsend to hordes since you can just walk up and stomp up to 3-5 enemies at once when they get hit.

Opinions, but the pistol is complete shit to control without Synaptic Focus. *With a controller. Leveling it up early on feels like a total trap and waste of ammo. Even with a 60% crit chance, more often than not I was having to hit them three, sometimes even four times in the head. On my second playthrough I didn't put anything into it and I didn't miss it at all. No ammo problems either. Harpoon I took up to rank 3, and I thought it would be good, since it was great in the first game, and it kind of is. But only if you get a head shot. It can pretty much one-shot any regular enemy with one to the head, but all of those enemies are so easy to kill via stealth so why bother wasting ammo on them? The harpoons didn't seem to do much against elites/bosses though. Maybe the EX version does even more damage, even without pinning an enemy (which I never actually managed to do to any in my entire playthrough), but I wasn't about to dump that much into an iffy upgrade to see.

Smoke bolts are way better than shock bolts. So much so that it's not even funny. The real reason to level up shock bolts is because you'll be lucky to ever get enough materials to make more than twenty smoke bolts total. Smoke works similarly to shock, explosion and to a lesser extent freezing (freezing basically allows you to kill The Human Torch with one pistol bullet if you don't want to simply stealth kill it) once you rank it up three times. You can take out entire crowds of enemies with throat slashes. Shock only really comes close near a hydrant, even then it doesn't keep an elite/boss locked into place for more than a few seconds at best, and always seems to break after a single shot. Smoke is 12s on groups of normal enemies and around 8s on elites/bosses (without breaking).

You can use the slow mo in the shooting mini game wtf

Yeah, that shit is hilarious. I actually got the idea to try that out last night when someone else mentioned how you can use the
assault rifle
in the gallery too. I mean, I cleared all but expert (whatever is next to the last difficulty) already on a previous playthrough without it, so by the time I got it, I never really thought to try it out.

I haven't upgraded my bolts at all and can pull off stealth kills in the smoke. I think it's (also?) tied into having the quieter footsteps upgrade.

What? You need to upgrade the smoke bolt before being able to stealth kill with it. On my first playthrough I actually tried doing that without any upgrades into it (as did a few other people), and it never worked until the upgrade that specifically says that it allows you to do so, which is rank 3. You don't even need to be crouching either. From the front you throat slash (like you can with a bottle to the face) and from behind the stem stab, even while standing.

The scene where the woman
sprints across the street being chased by monsters
is a perfect example - you can hang back and let her die, you can hang back to ambush them from behind, or you can run into the thick of it. Do the latter and there is plenty of stuff lying around to save you - cover, looping paths, jumpable fences and bushes to hide in - and none of them feel like unrealistic or contrived additions to the game world, they're just there.

Wait, you can let
her die? Do the zombies break down the door or something? She always runs inside the house.
That sequence doesn't seem to happen until you're close enough to
hear her screaming
anyway. Plus, there's like three (four total maybe) zombies that go down as easily as everything else, and you get
supplies
, so it's always worth doing.

There are these L4D witch-style enemies that look like standard zombies but require 2-3 stealth kills.

Two. Everything that's not an elite/boss that can be stealth attacked takes two at most on both Survival and Nightmare. Might take more on Classic, but I doubt it.

Rarius

Finally beat it, I felt the early game was fairly weak, but once you
Got to Stephano being around
the game ramped up in quality substantially, the entire second half of the game is fucking incredible, I just wish stuff like matches and traps weren't gone.

Also, regarding the ending 1. We're definitely getting DLC and
2. Why is Lily still 6?

Conezays

In Chapter 13, any last minute upgrade recommendations? I've kind of spread my skill trees around (stamina, health maxed out, among others).

Rarius

Like, don't get me wrong, I have complaints about things like the upgrade system being weirdly paced, or the loss of some of the weirdness from the first game like solving trap puzzles and such, but wow, generally you don't see a game get -better- closer to the end.

The gallery shooting and chain link mini-games were a lot of fun.

I picked up my mouse for those sections to get all the rewards... I hope I'm not too overpowered as a result.

I go back and forth but I probably play with it on more often than not. They really did a good job balancing Sebastion's place the in the frame with the letter box (especially when crouched). Without the bars it feels off compositionally the same way that film composition of a 2:35:1 film feels of when the frame is opened up.

Also the lantern can interfere a bit with the letter box off since the direct light shining front and center where it's normally concealed under the bars.

tonypark

Its more of the fact that
they literally padded as much as the could out of the game, there were so many scenes and encounters that were just unnecessary. I was just going through the motions after killing father Theodore really. Nothing new or exciting, I knew the end was coming but was just simply waiting for it to end since they effectively blocked off any sort of game freedom that you had in the beginning and turned it into one big drawn out corridor. Controlling Kidman killing the men in black and her dramatic yet pointless showdown with THE MAN. A fucking villain who doesnt even have a name, or presence in the game really. The whole orginization behind STEM and how fucking easy it was to just kill off the entirety of it with a single button press...(WHY WOULD THE BOSS PUT A CHIP IN HIS OWN HEAD!?) The entire ending sequence made me feel like I wasted my time and soured my entire enjoyment of the game because none of it made sense even within the context of the game world....unless the context of the game world is everyone is a giant idiot.

About the boss of mobius...
pretty sure he is just controlled by the higher up who really run the show and those people do not have chips. Just my theory of course but it would make it easy to continue in a third installement.

Neiteio

The
mirror maze
took me a while, since I'm easily confused by
reflections
, lol. The hexagonal shape of the room kept throwing me off. Great sequence, though.

Now that we have two TEW titles, I like this series trend of giving each game a collection of standout monsters (often bosses, but sometimes gimmick setpieces). TEW1 had the Sadist, Keeper(s) and Laura; also Sentinel, the Twins, Heresy, Quell, Amalgam and of course Ruvik. TEW2 has it share with
Animus, Guardian(s), Obscura, Stefano and Aperture, Psychoplasm, the Harbingers, and the Matriarch (maybe more — I haven't finished the game yet)

I'm especially fond of the design for Aperture — the visual of it watching ominously from the sky, wreathed in tentacles, is an iconic image I'll always associate with TEW2. I took a few screens of it I'll try to share later.

I wonder what kind of fun monsters a TEW3 would have. Tango Gameworks really has a knack for cranking out cool creature designs.

I have upgraded my stealth abilities to move faster while crouching (1 level) and have quieter footsteps (2 levels). It's one of these, right?

That is just you firing a smoke bolt and then independently happening to stealth kill them the normal way. Alternatively, the level three upgrade for smoke bolts makes stealth kills in the smoke much easier and more useful

Neiteio

Does a model viewer unlock when you beat the game?

If not, they should patch that in. Although maybe they don't want us to get a good look at stuff like
the ghost
. Could undermine the mystique.

I know Evil Within 2 on PS4 is excellent and we are waiting for proper PS4 Pro patch.
How is the first Evil Within on PS4 ? Still not playable even with Boost Mode on PS4 Pro? Is it worth getting on PS4 Pro with boosy mode from this sale?

Mubbed

Does anyone have a link to a video of somebody doing it stealth/weak spot? I looked but I swear all I find are the mass carnage videos. I've never seen someone beat that boss stylishly though presumably anyone playing on Akumi difficulty would have to.
Here is a video I made of that fight.

I think it also highlights some of the mechanics that I feel make the combat in the original much better when it comes to handling the weapons.

Rarius

So regarding the ending
The system is becoming autonomous right? I take it that we could have Ruvik taking control of the real world, at least in pockets.

Neiteio

I know Evil Within 2 on PS4 is excellent and we are waiting for proper PS4 Pro patch.
How is the first Evil Within on PS4 ? Still not playable even with Boost Mode on PS4 Pro? Is it worth getting on PS4 Pro with boosy mode from this sale?
I think the performance issues with the first game are generally overblown nowadays.

I recently played it on PS4 Pro, prior to boost mode, so no performance advantage. I played it without the black bars. The framerate tanks in the very opening scene where you're outside the hospital in the rain, when you pan the camera in front of the light sources. But once you're inside the hospital, it stabilizes considerably. Beyond that, it chugged a bit in Ch. 3, but it was fairly consistent so I didn't mind. Definitely playable.

I recently played through TEW with the PS4 Pro and boost mode and it was perfectly playable.

I think the performance issues with the first game are generally overblown nowadays.

I recently played it on PS4 Pro, prior to boost mode, so no performance advantage. I played it without the black bars. The framerate tanks in the very opening scene where you're outside the hospital in the rain, when you pan the camera in front of the light sources. But once you're inside the hospital, it stabilizes considerably. Beyond that, it chugged a bit in Ch. 3, but it was fairly consistent so I didn't mind. Definitely playable.

I recently played through TEW with the PS4 Pro and boost mode and it was perfectly playable.

A good relief.
Thanks.

Gbraga

So, with the low sales of Evil Within 2, is the return of Action RE our last hope?

Do I have to start praying for Wesker Returns: Resident Evil?

Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

Rien

Jelly Belly
So i am stuck on chapter 6 and its probably something i missed but

i went to this John's Coffee place in the Bussines District and now i went in some
place with a room with beds in circle and I am being chased by this creepy ghost lady. This room has 4 doors with 3 door leading to the same room and one leading to another smaller room with 4 beds and 4 Doors leading to the previous room. I Dunno which door i have to take in the 2nd room since it seems to change.

Neiteio

I wouldn't take low sales (especially retail-only sales in the UK) to mean the end of the series. Games like this will have legs. Word of mouth and a cult following will nurture its sales over time, and it'll probably see a bump in interest every Halloween. It should also benefit the (already strong) sales of the first game by renewing interest.

I also think Bethesda is willing to take a chance (multiple chances) on a series they believe in. I say this based on how they already continue to invest in hardcore single-player games at a time when things are increasingly multiplayer and transactional. They also seem keen to build franchises in general.

Bethesda, I'd like to say, is an awesome company. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Prey, Evil Within, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Quake. Really impressive lineup. They could go first-party with an IP collection like that. :)

So i am stuck on chapter 6 and its probably something i missed but

i went to this John's Coffee place in the Bussines District and now i went in some
place with a room with beds in circle and I am being chased by this creepy ghost lady. This room has 4 doors with 3 door leading to the same room and one leading to another smaller room with 4 beds and 4 Doors leading to the previous room. I Dunno which door i have to take in the 2nd room since it seems to change.

Use the mirrors

Neiteio

What? Evil Within 2 is action as fuck, it's almost not a horror game in my opinion.
I'd say it's both, with a lot of tension derived from the sheer scarcity of resources, the fast aggressive erratic movements of the enemies, and the fact Seb actually has some physical limitations (not the roundhouse-kicking whirlwind of death that is RE4 Leon). I also find the world to be pretty unsettling with its more open levels making it uncertain when and where I might encounter an enemy.

Neiteio

I had to use field crafting for the first time on Ch. 9 (Nightmare) during the fight with the
fire men
. Only had the ammo that was available in the room, which wasn't much. Didn't want to spend the extra resources, but it was my only option short of stating over.

Neff

The game is offensively sexist in its portrayal of women. I understand Sebastian and Joseph's friendship better than I understand Sebastian and Myra's marriage.

I wouldn't go so far as sexist, but Myra seemed like a much more interesting character in the original game + DLC than she is in 2. I dunno how much of that was me reading into it, but the Myra I imagined was some super-smart undercover detective chick, not a doting sweater.

EW1 was a complete and utter disaster pacing wise

Nope

and Mikami always does this. At some point he always throws real-world design logic out the window.

Good

Neiteio

I haven't finished the game yet, so I'm not sure what to make of Myra, but I definitely care about Seb this time around. He's funny at times, but also deeply vulnerable. They took a character who was just sort of... there, in the first game, and imbued him with some meaningful humanity in this one. I hear there are some scenes later on that are poorly handled, but as of Ch. 11 I think his characterization is pretty good. I want to see things work out for him.

I'd say it's an action game set in a horror theme?

Horror-themed action is what I came for, and the game delivered. TEW2 leans harder into horror than the first, but I didn’t feel like the game was overtly trying to scare me that often. It’s mostly there to add weight to the gameplay.

Placing an action game in a horror setting with spooky atmosphere and creepy enemies always helps raise the stakes for me. I love that about games like RE4, TEW1, Dead Space 1/2, and Bloodborne.

Neiteio

Horror-themed action is what I came for, and the game delivered. TEW2 leans harder into horror than the first, but I didn't feel like the game was overtly trying to scare me that often. It's mostly there to add weight to the gameplay.

Placing an action game in a horror setting with spooky atmosphere and creepy enemies always helps raise the stakes for me. I love that about games like RE4, TEW1, Dead Space 1/2, and Bloodborne.
Yep, I'm a fan of this as well. And while there's a lot of fighting in TEW2, it feels a bit disingenuous to call it an action game in the traditional sense since you're actually counting every bullet in this game. It's action, but a specific type of action: survival. And like you said, there's a definite horror theming that adds to the sense of stakes.

Gasian

I know, but it's selling like shit.

I love this kind of game, but with RE7 going back to a more horror focused experience and this game bombing, I'm not seeing a healthy future for the subgenre.

The reason it is not doing as well is I believe is because of 2 things (RE7 suffered from these two points as well)

1) The Marketing for this game was terrible. This isn't the type of game that benefits from E3 reveal then release. It needs a long strong focused build up like The Evil Within before it. (Also RE7 marketing was limited and confused. Everyone thought it was an Outlast clone that I talked to up til launch when it was not.lack of co-op too causes lower sales but that is just what happens when you go single player.)

And

2)The previous game hurt the the next game. TEW was extremely polarizing not a lot of people had nice things to say about it but some loved it. And I feel the second game suffers from the same thing which does not help word of mouth about it.

I truly believe if these two things did not happen you would have an RE7 that met its 4 million by March goal and not just now. And you would have a second Evil Within game that would have done way better.
But for some reason some games think they are Fallout and can release in a short window having that type of success. That only works for some game and I do appreciate it being like that but the 12-24 month hype buildup window still seems to work better for games like these, IMO. (With expections of course)

Gbraga

The reason it is not doing as well is I believe is because of 2 things (RE7 suffered from these two points as well)

1) The Marketing for this game was terrible. This isn't the type of game that benefits from E3 reveal then release. It needs a long strong focused build up like The Evil Within before it. (Also RE7 marketing was limited and confused. Everyone thought it was an Outlast clone that I talked to up til launch when it was not.lack of co-op too causes lower sales but that is just what happens when you go single player.)
And
2)The previous game hurt the the next game. TEW was extremely polarizing not a lot of people had nice things to say about it but some loved it. And I feel the second game suffers from the same thing which does not help word of mouth about it.

I truly believe if these two things did not happen you would have an RE7 that met its 4 million by March goal and not just now. And you would have a second Evil Within game that would have done way better.

But for some reason some games think they are Fallout and can release in a short window having that type of success. That only works for some game and I do appreciate it being like that but the 12-24 month hype buildup window still seems to work better for games like these, IMO. (With expections of course)

I completely agree. I'm just not super hopeful Bethesda will see it that way as well.

On some level they must be aware, since they marketed it so poorly compared to Wolfenstein, but that could very well just be them not thinking the game was worth the investment and just wanting to release it and then forget about the franchise.

Which is also fine, as long as they don't give up on Tango. :C

Top Bottom