• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Erevador

I don't see the Last of Us comparisons at all.

If EW1 was in the style of RE4, everything I've seen of EW2 seems to be in the style of Silent Hill (particularly 1 and 2). The color palette and locations remind me much more of that than TLOU.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will there be any early Steam unlocks?

It unlocks in AU, NZ and Asia in:
t1507820400z0.png

In unlocks in Europe in:
t1507849200z0.png

It unlocks in the rest of the world in:
t1507867200z4.png

As Dusk said, you'll be able to use a VPN to unlock the game ahead of time (unless you're in AU, NZ or Asia, of course).

essenn

Thanks for posting, was hoping someone would stream past chapter 6. :)

Edit: Where the stream is at right now looks a LOT more like the first game than what we've seen so far. He is currently on Chapter 14.

Because
it is the first game, it's a boss rush of old bosses

DirtyLarry

Preload on my PS4 Pro Confirmed.
Hell Yeah.

I hardly ever, ever go digital as well. Was not even a question for this game. It and Wolfenstein 2 were digitally pre ordered months ago.

rtcn63

I wonder if 'Classoc Mode' includes the letterboxing format.

Speaking of -

Can anyone who's finished the game say what Classic Mode actually is? Specifically, is it like Akumu with all one-hit kills, or something comparable to Madhouse/Pro difficulty in the RE games? Non-spoilery.

Also, how is Nightmare compared to the original's version? I know Bethesda said it was one-notch easier, but...

kc44135

Speaking of -

Can anyone who's finished the game say what Classic Mode actually is? Specifically, is it like Akumu with all one-hit kills, or something comparable to Madhouse/Pro difficulty in the RE games? Non-spoilery version.

Also, how is Nightmare compared to the original's version? I know Bethesda said it was one-notch easier, but...

Classic Mode is the thing I want to know about the most.

Granjinha

I'm playing this game on the hardest difficulty avaible (on the beggining) and so far i'm liking it a lot more than Evil Within. Still on Chapter 3 though, exploring every place i can.

Maybe i'm kinda bad at it but man i'm finding it really challenging.

Do we have any information on performance?

I'm on PC and it's running a lot better than the first. Some stutters, tho.

antitrop

RIP Alan Wake. Nobody remembers you :(
There's something about the structure of Alan Wake that keeps it distinct from the others mentioned, in my mind.

TEW, Dead Space, and Resident Evil all feel much more similar to me than Alan Wake feels to any of them. Everyone has their own definition of what "Survival Horror" means, but Alan Wake seems the most difficult to fit into that genre out of them, for me.

rtcn63

I'm on PC and it's running a lot better than the first. Some stutters, tho.

At a glance, do you notice any framepacing/frametime issues at 60fps?

There's something about the structure of Alan Wake that keeps it distinct from the others mentioned, in my mind.

TEW, Dead Space, and Resident Evil all feel much more similar to me than Alan Wake feels to any of them. Everyone has their own definition of what "Survival Horror" means, but Alan Wake seems the most difficult to fit into that genre out of them, for me.

Alan Wake isn't as combat focused. American Nightmare was a bit better.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Granjinha

At a glance, do you notice any framepacing/frametime issues at 60fps?

I did not, just some stutters, especially during transitions and in some moments in combat (entering a building, loading some far off area that you are running towards, too much stuff happening, things like that)

Do take into consideration that i'm not as sensible to this kind of stuff as some people are, so i could just not be noticing it.

My PC: 980 GTX, i7 4790, 16GB of RAM, no SSD

I am waiting for used copies, everything about this game seems like a disappointment compare to the first game.

The first Evil Within is flawed, but at least it is a dark, intense and atmospheric experience, intriguing and creative in pretty much every aspect. The combat is well thought out too, there are many ways to deal with monsters than just shoot or stealth, you are often rewarded for being smart and creative.

Find a bottle, throw it at someone's face, crouch immediately and then press the button once the stealth kill icon shows up. The game told you nothing about this, but it is a very common tactic among TEW players.

The Evil Within 2 on the other hand just seems like a open world The Last of Us clone with shallow combat system, they even removed the matches. Now it's all just pew pew pew and crafting.

Another thing, the first TEW is a very challenging game with very little ammo and resources, which makes pretty much every enemy scary. From what I have seen in TEW2 (watched more than 5 livestreams from Chapter 1 to 6 so far), the game generally seems forgiving and casual, facing an enemy no longer feels intense and scary.

I don't know what streams you are watching, but no, the game is not forgiving and casual, especially on Nightmare. It's hard as fuck and really intense, to the point i don't feel confortable facing even just someone one-on-one. The Evil Within 2 so far absolutely rewards you for being creative in combat.

And about the bolded: *sigh* It's also not that. The open structure from Evil Within 2, as far as i have played, is much more open than TLOU. It encourages exploration through some really nice side-objectives, rewarding for you actually exploring with items (sorely needed) and story beats/setpieces that don't happen if you don't venture out of the main path.

Also: That bottle technique remains in Evil Within 2.

SomTervo

Australia or Asian countries.

Nice one, thanks. Will give it a try.

Another thing, the first TEW is a very challenging game with very little ammo and resources, which makes pretty much every enemy scary. From what I have seen in TEW2 (watched more than 5 livestreams from Chapter 1 to 6 so far), the game generally seems forgiving and casual, facing an enemy no longer feels intense and scary.

What? There were two posters literally in the last couple of pages saying that TEW2 is one of the most hardcore survival horror games in years, much more so than the first game, and that ammo/resources are incredibly hard to come by.

I hope you eat a lot of crow on Friday, for all of our sakes!

Gbraga

I'm still somewhat salty at the amount of resources I managed to save in the first game, even when the game kept throwing waves upon waves of enemies at me, just so I could have as much as I could for the last boss.

And then it's a fucking QTE, or something.

Man, fuck that boss.

Perineum

Super tempted to watch some, but I have to stay strong. :(

Game shipped from Amazon today. Fingers crossed I get it urrrley tomorrow.

kc44135

I'm still somewhat salty at the amount of resources I managed to save in the first game, even when the game kept throwing waves upon waves of enemies at me, just so I could have as much as I could for the last boss.

And then it's a fucking QTE, or something.

Man, fuck that boss.

Yeah, that sucked, lol. Funnily enough, RE7 has the exact same problem.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Gbraga

Oh boy, a friend beat the game (got it a few days ago). I told him to tell me NOTHING, except one thing.

For those curious, The Evil Within 2 has 'around
chapters' apparently.

WHAT

Holy shit.

This makes it quite a bit longer than we were expecting.

Huh.

That probably means a brand new main enemy type post chapter 14 then, right?

Yeah, that sucked, lol. Funnily enough, RE7 has the exact same problem.

Thank you for letting me know. Still didn't play RE7, I ain't saving shit.

Edited it so it's more obvious what it pertains too, but not precise. It's not a big spoiler, but I was curious.

This is great to hear! I'm still peaking into that one stream that is passed chapter 6 and holy crap something quite cool just got spoiled for me but I don't even care lol. If anyone is curious, jump in right now for a peak. Major spoiler though.

TitusTroy

since Bethesda sent out review copies a bit early, we should see some reviews before the game officially comes out on Friday?

Dusk Golem

rtcn63

And how can people say that Rev2 wasn't inspired at least somewhat by TLoU? You could craft smoke/explosive bombs and molotovs. Even the ingredients used are similar. Hell the whole aesthetic of the game takes cues.

At best, you can argue that Rev2 is a light-hearted parody. One with much more replay value.

kodecraft

Ok, now I initially wanted to play through the game with the FOV set to the highest(90). But after seeing it in action and seeing Sebs whole body and his legs moving around I think it takes away from the experience.

This is just my opinion so I may just play at the default. Granted the high FOV let's me scan areas better but it doesn't look better.

Dusk Golem

Top Bottom