• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within: Every Last Bullet Trailer

jacobeid

Banned
in the past 24 hours I've gone from 'wait and see' to 'hype' on this game.

What am I worried for? It's fucking Mikami.

(Preorders blindly on PS4 to get discount)

I think my skepticism comes from months ago, hearing journalists say they hated it after playing it at press events. But impressions from more recent events have been a lot more positive.

Bottom line, IT'S FUCKING MIKAMI

Pretty much this for me too.

Here's a funny thing. The press didn't hate it from playing it, they hated it from watching it being played. The previews from PAX were from a video demo, not a playable demo. And that video has cursed the game since.

Yep, the biggest back lash came from that damn unplayable video and then when the press got a special hands on event, they changed their tune mostly.

Here's a funny thing. The press didn't hate it from playing it, they hated it from watching it being played. The previews from PAX were from a video demo, not a playable demo. And that video has cursed the game since.

I definitely heard multiple journalists trash the game based on playing it....I don't remember who or when exactly, but it was months ago.

They were specifically people that were interested in the game, but then got their hands on it and felt like it controlled like junk. I don't usually put a ton of stock in this stuff, but it did make me skeptical on this game for whatever reason.

But since then a ton of people have played it, and people like the 'feel' of it for the most part it seems.

Besides, FUCKING MIKAMI.

kodecraft

I definitely heard multiple journalists trash the game based on playing it....I don't remember who or when exactly, but it was months ago.

They were specifically people that were interested in the game, but then got their hands on it and felt like it controlled like junk. I don't usually put a ton of stock in this stuff, but it did make me skeptical on this game for whatever reason.

But since then a ton of people have played it, and people like the 'feel' of it for the most part it seems.

Besides, FUCKING MIKAMI.

Glad you're convinced. Let's do this!

So, I played the game during PAX Prime 2014, specifically at the Bethesda event. I don't know how old the build I played was, but I left a bit concerned about some details. It's still a Mikami game, and that shows, which is why I didn't even think on cancelling my pre-order, but I'd suggest people to keep their expectations in check...just in case (yeah, like if that was going to happen...)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So, I played the game during PAX Prime 2014, specifically at the Bethesda event. I don't know how old the build I played was, but I left a bit concerned about some details. It's still a Mikami game, and that shows, which is why I didn't even think on cancelling my pre-order, but I'd suggest people to keep their expectations in check...just in case (yeah, like if that was going to happen...)

Was it the initial period of it feeling weird. My first time with it was a bit strange as it took me a little bit of time with the game to make it feel right, I was also at the PAX Bethesda event though so we probably passed each other. XD; I enjoyed it a lot more when I got more adjusted with it and started exploring its mechanics and playing it, but it has a bit of a warm-up period in my time of playing it.

Shauni

Don't just drop shot like this with no explanation. Give seats.

Skyzard

Banned
I can imagine that, I remember RE4's walking around took a while to get used to and I bet this isn't that far off. You don't want players to be super agile...

Or is it something else?

Glad you're convinced. Let's do this!

8y8NVqFqhTQVa.gif

Teknoman

Using reverse cover, and wow...after watching that trailer, purchase confirmed.

I do think Psycho Break sounds like a cooler name.

I can't believe it hasn't occurred to me until just this second that 'The Evil Within' is basically the exact same name as 'Resident Evil'. How did I not notice that hilarious fact?

Don't just drop shot like this with no explanation. Give seats.

Some things that worried me:

• Navigation felt clunky. All destructible props (like chairs, barrels, etc.) could be pushed unrealistically just by moving into them, or stepped over. They got in the way, caused the player character to correct its position in a very glitchy way...it broke the immersion and was bit annoying. This is something I hope they have ironed out in the final version, because it felt very amateur-ish
  • It felt very unbalanced. The demo was set in "Easy" difficulty by default, but I wanted to taste the game with the proper difficulty setting, since this is so important on Mikami games. Perhaps that was not a good idea, after all. Zombies were bullet sponges, even when hitting them in the head repeatedly. Melee did virtually nothing to their health and I found myself running away from them all the time, until I had a horde of them following me and eventually just gave up and died. Stealth didn't work very well either. There was this section in which two zombies were eating a body (very Resident Evil-ish) and I approached with stealth so I could get rid of one of them and save some ammo. I tried that twice, and both times the zombie somehow turned around and kicked me (in a very lame way). It was frustrating.
  • Aiming controls could use some assistance. It was very difficult to properly aim. I never had this problem in Resident Evil 4, 5 or 6 and successive entries, where the assistance was very helpful and subtle at the same time. I liked the aiming camera, though.
  • The disabling wall bombs minigame was unfair. A clock needle starts spinning, asking you to stop it by pressing a button when it is inside of a small section of the clock. What nobody tell you (or at least I don't remember reading that anywhere) is that you only have one full spin before it explodes anyway. The minigame and the mechanic felt also a bit out of place (laser-controlled bombs attached to the walls of a zombie-infested old mansion? ...ok)
  • I love these games, so this is not a problem for me, but I couldn't help but feel like if the gameplay and narrative were a bit too old-school for their own good. That is the kind of stuff the reviewers like to attack...

So well, it is just my opinion, but overall I didn't fully enjoy my time with the game, and I didn't find anything that excited me especially. It's probably my fault for switching to Normal difficulty (perhaps it was not balanced for the demo?) and not being able to finish the demo (after 4 tries I decided to pass the controller to someone waiting in line :p). I believe most of the issues I found are easily fixable and that probably will be fixed for the final build, but I was expecting something more impressive and polished when I sat down to play the demo.

-MD-

• Navigation felt clunky. All destructible props (like chairs, barrels, etc.) could be pushed unrealistically just by moving into them, or stepped over. They got in the way, caused the player character to correct its position in a very glitchy way...it broke the immersion and was bit annoying. This is something I hope they have ironed out in the final version, because it felt very amateur-ish
  • Melee did virtually nothing to their health and I found myself running away from them all the time
  • It was very difficult to properly aim. I never had this problem in Resident Evil 4, 5 or 6 and successive entries, where the assistance was very helpful and subtle at the same time. I liked the aiming camera, though.
  • I couldn't help but feel like if the gameplay and narrative were a bit too old-school for their own good. That is the kind of stuff the reviewers like to attack...

These are all positives for me.

The first one makes it sound like the anti-RE6 which I couldn't be more happy about.

I didn't wanna make another thread so I guess I'll just post it in this one....

After hearing nothing for a while, the prequel comic has re-surfaced!

Pixel Dynamo said:
The comic acts as a prequel to the game, so when The Evil Within #1 premieres during the October 9–12 Comic Con, there’s no need to worry about potential spoilers before the game releases October 14. Instead of focusing on Sebastian Castellanos and Juli Kidman, we’ll instead get introduced to a female student named Dana. One of Dana’s friends has gone missing, prompting her to start a search; but, according to the official synopsis, that search “leads straight into a world fraught with tension and unimaginable horrors” –one of those horrors, presumably, being the infamous Boxman pictured above.

-MD-

Found at
BethBlog

Last week we posted our recommended PC system specs for The Evil Within, and in turn, we received plenty of feedback. While we still recommend this benchmark to experience the game in all its gory glory, we also recognize the need to provide information on how you can play the game with a wider range of PCs.
Minimum requirements for The Evil Within can now be found below. You won’t be experiencing the game at 1080p and you’ll likely need to turn off some features, but you will still be able to have a great experience with the game.

Minimum Requirements
GPU: GTX 460 or an equivalent 1 GB VRAM card
CPU: i7 or an equivalent 4+ core processor
RAM: 4 GB
HDD: 50 GB
If you meet the recommended specs, you’re in for the ideal experience. The game looks amazing with full-screen anti-aliasing, full shadow quality, motion blur, tessellation, SSAO, and 1080p visuals.

PC users can pre-order The Evil Within today on Steam — where we’ve updated the game page to account for both the minimum and recommended system requirements, or your favorite digital or physical reseller.

Lucent

The closer this game gets to release, the more nervous I get. lol. I really need this game to be RE4 level surprising.

AsfaeksBR

This reminded me a lot of F.E.A.R. . Most of the scares in that game (and what made the atmosphere more tense) were the props falling and making noises when I passed by them. It was bad at first because I thought that it was flawed, but in the end it help a lot in the mood.
___

When is the embargo due? 14th or before?

I really need this game to be RE4 level surprising.

I feel like this right here is going to be the game's ruin. Even if it's really good, people have insane opinions about RE4, and I don't think anything he could make after could possibly reach those heights for some.

Lucent

I feel like this right here is going to be the game's ruin.

Lol. Just to clarify, I don't want it to be just like RE4, I just mean give me that sense of "Wow, that was an awesome and unexpected experience."

Since it's Mikami's game, I'm sure it'll be awesome. But I just would hate for him to not be able to at least build upon what he did with that and surpass it. Just so few horror games release. And he's been working on this for quite awhile.

Lol. Just to clarify, I don't want it to be just like RE4, I just mean give me that sense of "Wow, that was an awesome and unexpected experience."

I figured that's what you personally meant, but no, really, many are going to compare it to RE4 and see it as a disappointment. It's a shame, but it's written in stone.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This reminded me a lot of F.E.A.R. . Most of the scares in that game (and what made the atmosphere more tense) were the props falling and making noises when I passed by them. It was bad at first because I thought that it was flawed, but in the end it help a lot in the mood.
___

When is the embargo due? 14th or before?

That's one title you thought would stay around longer than it did.

NA October 14, 2014
EU October 14, 2014
AUS October 16, 2014

I can't seem to find the Japanese release date. I'm assuming it will be out around the same time.

gstaff

It came with Forza 3, not my first choice, but can't complain. Couple screens.

Also, looks like I got the console I wanted of the three. The Eye console.

IMG_0907.jpg

XB1_C.png

Glad you liked it. This was my favorite of the group, and the one I inspected to make sure it turned out (sorry is there's a lot of finger prints on the bottom.). The red really pops.

Lucent

Glad you liked it. This was my favorite of the group, and the one I inspected to make sure it turned out (sorry is there's a lot of finger prints on the bottom.). The red really pops.

If I send in mine, can you guys paint it like that? I'll give you tree fitty! =P

• It felt very unbalanced. The demo was set in "Easy" difficulty by default, but I wanted to taste the game with the proper difficulty setting, since this is so important on Mikami games. Perhaps that was not a good idea, after all. Zombies were bullet sponges, even when hitting them in the head repeatedly. Melee did virtually nothing to their health and I found myself running away from them all the time, until I had a horde of them following me and eventually just gave up and died. Stealth didn't work very well either. There was this section in which two zombies were eating a body (very Resident Evil-ish) and I approached with stealth so I could get rid of one of them and save some ammo. I tried that twice, and both times the zombie somehow turned around and kicked me (in a very lame way). It was frustrating.
  • Aiming controls could use some assistance. It was very difficult to properly aim. I never had this problem in Resident Evil 4, 5 or 6 and successive entries, where the assistance was very helpful and subtle at the same time. I liked the aiming camera, though.
  • The disabling wall bombs minigame was unfair. A clock needle starts spinning, asking you to stop it by pressing a button when it is inside of a small section of the clock. What nobody tell you (or at least I don't remember reading that anywhere) is that you only have one full spin before it explodes anyway. The minigame and the mechanic felt also a bit out of place (laser-controlled bombs attached to the walls of a zombie-infested old mansion? ...ok)
  • I love these games, so this is not a problem for me, but I couldn't help but feel like if the gameplay and narrative were a bit too old-school for their own good. That is the kind of stuff the reviewers like to attack...

So well, it is just my opinion, but overall I didn't fully enjoy my time with the game, and I didn't find anything that excited me especially. It's probably my fault for switching to Normal difficulty (perhaps it was not balanced for the demo?) and not being able to finish the demo (after 4 tries I decided to pass the controller to someone waiting in line :p). I believe most of the issues I found are easily fixable and that probably will be fixed for the final build, but I was expecting something more impressive and polished when I sat down to play the demo.

The way you describe it makes it seem you're trying to brute force your way without taking into consideration the context of the game. Other impressions share your same viewpoint except that he/she elaborated why the mechanics exist. Maybe the game is encouraging you NOT to play this game like a shooter. Enemies don't go down easily, "bullet sponges" (hey, they're zombies, right), and the lack of an accurate aim-dot all points out to avoid engaging the enemies. I know it's kind of a hard thing to imagine a game mechanic based around survival in this day and age, but it does kinda attests to the resistance-wary consumer these so-called games have indoctrinated in the last generation.

Also, I don't see why the comparison to the original Biohazard series is relevant at all. Mikami clearly states he is going into a completely different direction with this IP. The mechanics based on your description eschews that design philosophy. You should go ahead and read Dusk Golem's summary as he literally pointed out all these aspects and playtested them again and again before he delivered a well informed analysis.

AsfaeksBR

That's one title you thought would stay around longer than it did.

NA October 14, 2014
EU October 14, 2014
AUS October 16, 2014

I can't seem to find the Japanese release date. I'm assuming it will be out around the same time.

I forgot to write the word "Review" before "Embargo". :)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not sure if this has been posted, not necessary for a new thread.

Good story from New Zealand about TEW amusement thing in Australia and some quotes from Mikami and a info about the game.

Possible spoilers, the guy mentions something about the game that I haven't read about before.

The Evil Within will scare you to pieces

The man behind the Resident Evil franchise promises his new game will scare you senseless. Chris Schulz heads for the Gold Coast, turns on his torch and braves the darkness.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11335604

"When something dies in The Evil Within, blood and guts splatter over everything -- including the camera lens."

-MD-

Good story from New Zealand about TEW amusement thing in Australia and some quotes from Mikami and a info about the game.

Possible spoilers, the guy mentions something about the game that I haven't read about before.

"When something dies in The Evil Within, blood and guts splatter over everything -- including the camera lens."

Yeah it's like a quick splash of blood across the screen after you get hit or something. I've seen it in a few of the videos.

It's definitely not a case of bloody screen so real.

A video of the event....

It looks really well done.

ironcreed

Banned
I feel like this right here is going to be the game's ruin. Even if it's really good, people have insane opinions about RE4, and I don't think anything he could make after could possibly reach those heights for some.

Well, it does look like it could be a natural evolution of RE4. I mean, this is the guy that made it. Now I don't expect it to make the landmark splash that RE4 did, that is unrealistic. But I do expect it to feel like Mikami continuing where he left off, just in a new game. And I am more than okay with that.

kodecraft

Well, it does look like it could be a natural evolution of RE4. I mean, this is the guy that made it. Now I don't expect it to make the landmark splash that RE4 did, that is unrealistic. But I do expect it to feel like Mikami continuing where he left off, just in a new game. And I am more than okay with that.

This!

Honestly, what I love about all we have seen, is it looks to pull the horror strings for various horror fans when it comes to design of the creatures and setting. I hope it turns into one of my all time favorite games like I'm getting the vibes it will. Will find out soon enough. I know when I'm finished with the game I'll almost be in shock that it's over after waiting so long.

I'm wondering the same thing! The wait to play this is killing me, and I really want to hear some impressions. Does anyone know the date when the review embargo lifts?

No info yet. Also expecting it sometime next week from my email traffic, though not sure if impressions will even be allowed. :/

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I forgot to write the word "Review" before "Embargo". :)

I'd be a little worried about reviews trying to combine an experience that you're better off experiencing first hand. Something about hearing someone else's review of a complete play through doesn't interest me at all. Reviews tend to take a certain quality away from a game. Plus I think some of us have witnessed the falling out that some reviews have had on games.

Top Bottom