• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within PC Info from Bethesda

BadWolf

So.... I asked this before in the other thread but, in light of the new min specs, if my PC could run Dark Souls 2 and Resident Evil 6 well in 720p, is there any chance that Evil Withing will run as well?

So.... I asked this before in the other thread but, in light of the new min specs, if my PC could run Dark Souls 2 and Resident Evil 6 well in 720p, is there any chance that Evil Withing will run as well?

We can't laugh at you if you don't post your specs.

Hypron

According to what they're saying, probably not. I can play both of these in 1080p at 60fps but if the 4GB requirement is true... It won't run well.

Skyzard

Banned
Official post from the TEW thread a little while ago:
Hey all. We just finished putting something together that answers many of your questions. Per this thread, you'll want to take note of this one.

I’ve played through the game and I’ve also seen the game played at 60fps on a PC powerful enough to handle it. It looks great, but personally it didn't look right to me. I felt like I was seeing a "soap opera effect" and that took away from the atmosphere and feel that I think the default setting captures.

Yeah that's the result of switching to a good framerate, especially after getting used to a game at 30fps. I can live with that but somehow I doubt that will be the only issue.

Can't believe I won't even be able to play at 1080 with a fucking 780ti.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
If anyone is curious, I believe this is the only video of the PC version, was recorded before the game went gold so not the final version of the game, but definitely be the PC version, the IQ is too clear and the lighting/shading look a lot better in it than most console gameplay. Also 1440p, and the player is a PC-exclusive gamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2fIQexipaE

Asus Core i5-3470/3.2GHz, 10GB RAM, NVIDIA GT620/2GB, Windows 8.

Your GPU won't make it if the GTX 460 as minimum is to be believed. The rest seems fine if you're willing to upgrade to a better GPU.
If you can't I would seriously recommend grabbing the PS4 version in case you have one.

BadWolf

Your GPU won't make it if the GTX 460 as minimum is to be believed. The rest seems fine if you're willing to upgrade to a better GPU.
If you can't I would seriously recommend grabbing the PS4 version in case you have one.

Yeah, I will probably just get it for PS4 when I buy the console next year.

Momentary

Banned
30 fps and black bars are an artistic vision? And people are actually believing that crap? I'm sorry, but this is too funny.

UnrealEck

This is actually the opposite problem. Consoles are holding back PC less, thus why requirements go up. If this was made for last gen consoles you wouldn't have a problem on PC at all.

How are you concluding that it's made for current gen consoles?
The requirements seem to be based around megatextures.

Official post from the TEW thread a little while ago:

Yeah that's the result of switching to a good framerate, especially after getting used to a game at 30fps. I can live with that but somehow I doubt that will be the only issue.

Can't believe I won't even be able to play at 1080 with a fucking 780ti.
Maybe using the texture compression option will allow you to enjoy 1080p easily.

Grief.exe

If anyone is curious, I believe this is the only video of the PC version, was recorded before the game went gold so not the final version of the game, but definitely be the PC version, the IQ is too clear and the lighting/shading look a lot better in it than most console gameplay. Also 1440p, and the player is a PC-exclusive gamer.

That video sold me initially on the port. It looks markedly better than any console footage we have seen thus far.

King_Moc

Banned
Right, so hardcoded to 30fps, but you can remove them through the debug? Hopefully that works without problems then. I really have a hard time believing those black bars were due to "artistic vision". That, combined with how closely zoomed in the camera was and the framerate, made this a nightmare to control on the XB1 version.

Mononoke

Banned
You need a better graphics card, the 620 is probably not gonna cut it.

I'm starting to regret investing in 2gb 680 SLI. I did this about 2 years ago. I guess I can't complain, as I got a lot out of of them. But I really wish I would have gotten 4gb models. Just because I game at 1600p, and a lot of these newer titles seem to start pushing past 2gb. (Not saying this one specifically will, but just kind of saying in general it's starting to worry me lately).

Yeah, I will probably just get it for PS4 when I buy the console next year.

The rest of your PC is pretty nice, if you want to play new games in the here and now you would get great performance with a relatively cheap graphics card. Ask in the I Need A PC thread, they'll point you in the right direction.

I could POSSIBLY deal with the 30FPS dogshit if there were a couple of reviews praising this game and suck its dick to no end.

I'd like to know if it's a great game before I go through with canceling my preorder, but reviews are just opinions. I had my reservations about this game and went through with the preorder.

Steel

Banned
How are you concluding that it's made for current gen consoles?
The requirements seem to be based around megatextures.

I'm not concluding that it's made for current gen consoles, I'm saying if it was, you wouldn't have a problem with the requirements on PC.

I'm starting to regret investing in 2gb 680 SLI. I did this about 2 years ago. I guess I can't complain, as I got a lot out of of them. But I really wish I would have gotten 4gb models. Just because I game at 1600p, and a lot of these newer titles seem to start pushing past 2gb.

That's a lot of processing power you have there. You might have to drop texture settings a notch depending on the game but if you don't mind that then you'll get plenty more mileage out of them.

I could POSSIBLY deal with the 30FPS dogshit if there were a couple of reviews praising this game and suck its dick to no end.

I'd like to know if it's a great game before I go through with canceling my preorder, but reviews are just opinions. I had my reservations about this game and went through with the preorder.
In the end I expect the game to be quite good, based Mikami.

I hate to say it, but I'm gonna wait. I want to play this at 60 fps. If they say we can do it "unofficially", but can't be bothered to do it themselves, I'll wait. This will be a Steam sale for me. It's a shame, as Bethesda has handled this so poorly. Maybe Mikami and friends will learn their lesson and not skimp out on basic features of PC games. I was gonna get this on PS4, but I heard about the 30fps lock.

Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite games are 30fps. But, I believe we are at a place where 60fps should be the norm. I'll enjoy this game on a sale of $25 or so. But I won't pay $50 for what seems like a port that was just kinda worked on. I"ll wait.

Mononoke

Banned
That's a lot of processing power you have there. You might have to drop texture settings a notch depending on the game but if you don't mind that then you'll get plenty more mileage out of them.

Yeah, I really shouldn't worry too much. I mean, I will still get more out of these then the console versions (unless it's a really shitty port). So even if I can't max out all the settings like I used to, these are still a great set up. I just remember always being happy when I could max out every single setting on my PC versions. Now I'll have to deal with lowering settings. :(

:p I'll eventually upgrade my cards though. I'm saving up to SLI the 970s. When I do, I'll probably give the 680s away for free to someone on GAF. I know I could re-sell them, but I would rather just give them to someone who will use them.

Momentary

Banned

Well. I'm gonna get it, but damn. Having to use a console command to remove black bars and enable 60fps... it's like we're in 2006 all over again.

Jawmuncher

Look at that. The game was made for 30FPS in mind and people were still freaking the hell out about it. At least the option for 60FPS is available. Won't be surprised if it's not worth it though considering other games in the same case.

We have user impressions from someone who got a PS3 copy early. Even says it surpasses RE4 (yeah, I know how that sounds).

Sounds pretty encouraging. Read here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133468031&postcount=1017

Kevyt

Why does the PC recommended ask for 4 GB of VRAM?

The PS4 and Xbox One both have 8 GB of unified RAM which can be used as both system and video memory. Because our PC version is functionally identical to those platforms, we recommend 4 GB of system memory, and 4 GB of VRAM for the best experience.

Can I run it on a card with less than 4 gigs of VRAM?

Yes. Please refer to the minimum requirements above. You won’t be experiencing the game at 1080p and you’ll likely need to turn off some features, but you will still be able to have a great experience with the game.

So they pretty much confirmed that the consoles were the leading platforms and this is a direct console port. That explains the high need for VRAM since PC version is "functionally identical." I don't know how I feel about this, I think developers should target PC hardware first, then console hardware.

I'm guessing all these high VRAM games aren't neccessarilly using the extra GB's for strictly improving the graphics, and that its more likely the devs are reworking all their game engines changing how the normal methods used to work, to something that works well with the current consoles architectures (for learning/future proofing).

And when it comes to porting these engines to PC, it doesn't work as well, so we have to go a bit overboard on things to cover our arses.

This is the point really. Normally I wouldn't bother with a ropey looking port....but it's Mikami. Almost everything he's ever done has been fantastic.
Really my only reservations are with Bethesda's crap handling of all PC info. Only Mikami game I didn't enjoy was P.N.03.

stufte

Bullshit like locked framerates immediately relegate a game to < $10 sale status for me.

I don't get this mentality at all. If a dev thinks the game is best experienced at 30fps, why is that a bad thing?

more fps doesn't always = more better.

Steel

Banned
But you said if it was made for last gen consoles you wouldn't have a problem.

Bla, I mispoke in my first reply. I meant to put last gen where current gen was. And I think I mistook you saying Current gen as meaning least gen as well. Damn transition period. I'm assuming it was made for current gen, because have you seen a last gen console port that recommends 4 gb of VRAM?

I don't get this mentality at all. If a dev thinks the game is best experienced at 30fps, why is that a bad thing?

unless you are trying to emulate an old game to perfection, I disagree.

The dev has it at 30 fps because of performance, not for that "cinematic feel."

They need to stop tying everything to 30 fps if they are going to port it to pc.

I feel what you're saying but maybe some of us don't like anyone else(developer or otherwise)telling us how to best experience a game we purchased with our own money.

Top Bottom