• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S4 |OT| Think Fast

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I don't know why every CW show feels the need to do this. Season ends on huge gamechanging thing...that is immediately written away by the end of the first episode of the new season. Supernatural really killed my patience for this. Hopefully this season sticks to not having a speedster be the ultimate villain.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't know why every CW show feels the need to do this. Season ends on huge gamechanging thing...that is immediately written away by the end of the first episode of the new season. Supernatural really killed my patience for this. Hopefully this season sticks to not having a speedster be the ultimate villain.

To be fair, Arrow did not do this.

Johndoey

Banned
I really was hoping they would let Wally shine for a bit, but nah nothing. Hopefully later in the season he'll get something.

jwk94

Did the 100 do this? I can't remember the season premieres.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Did the 100 do this? I can't remember the season premieres.

I don't think The 100 has ever backed away from finale fallout. Right now it feels like something exclusive to the DC shows. They all get as close to resetting the status quo as possible in the premiere, and they all jump ahead a few months from the finale.

Otnopolit

Critics said the next episode was great, I was a little bummed about 4.01 also but like you've all said, they wanted to reset some of the bullshit of last season. I can take a mediocre opening to allow for a better show.

Having just watched it, I didn't like it and it sure as hell felt weird. It felt like they wanted to set the stage for this year's threat while refocusing the show and also while doing plenty of soft rebooting: remember sad Barry? He feels great now, all his traumas gone, 'cause he just told you so! Remember Killer Frost? She's still there, but Caitlin made peace with all her friends in the span of one heartfelt scene! Remember Wally being a little bit jealous of Barry? All settled now, Barry's the fastest man alive, no question! This desperately needed to be a small story arc, it needed some air to breathe, Barry disappearing should bear some consequences, it should lead to natural character development; instead, they decided to cram tons of shit into this episode, and had to resort to plentiful of "telling" instead of "showing".

We'll see what next week's episode holds for us.

Having just watched it, I didn't like it and it sure as hell felt weird. It felt like they wanted to set the stage for this year's threat while refocusing the show and also while doing plenty of soft rebooting: remember sad Barry? He feels great now, all his traumas gone, 'cause he just told you so! Remember Killer Frost? She's still there, but Caitlin made peace with all her friends in the span of one heartfelt scene! Remember Wally being a little bit jealous of Barry? All settled now, Barry's the fastest man alive, no question! This desperately needed to be a small story arc, it needed some air to breathe, Barry disappearing should bear some consequences, it should lead to natural character development; instead, they decided to cram tons of shit into this episode, and had to resort to plentiful of "telling" instead of "showing".

We'll see what next week's episode holds for us.
While I agree, I could also do without seeing more of that. I think it's worth the trade-off to have one crappy episode that does this if it leads to a good season overall.

Posted this in the Arrow thread too.

I totally forgot this show was back. Why the hell are Flash and Legends on the same night with a day gap for Arrow?

Also, have the first episodes of the current seasons of all three shows been promising?

Joni

Posted this in the Arrow thread too.

I totally forgot this show was back. Why the hell are Flash and Legends on the same night with a day gap for Arrow?

Also, have the first episodes of the current seasons of all three shows been promising?

Because it is difficult to plan all those Berlanti shows.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just watched. Are we sure that was The Thinker and not Metron?

Well his name is Clifford DeVoe and he ended the episode by saying "I'm Thinking".

Flash_Thinker_001.jpg

I mean after Prometheus on Arrow technically anything is possible, but no, he's the damn Thinker.

I mean we got a ton of Batman stuff in Arrow, why not New Gods in Flash?

Because, as just mentioned, it fits more into the purview of Supergirl.

Well his name is Clifford DeVoe and he ended the episode by saying "I'm Thinking".

Flash_Thinker_001.jpg

I mean after Prometheus on Arrow technically anything is possible, but no, he's the damn Thinker.

Because, as just mentioned, it fits more into the purview of Supergirl.
What if he is both the Thinker and Metron?

I mean look at this.

the-thinker-1037716.jpg

And his chair looks a lot like the Mobius Chair.
b28T8ll.png

JUSTL_42_16_56d79f394a1ed0.98102190.jpg

Or maybe he is just The Thinker but he somehow got the Mobius Chair?

ZeroX03

Banned
What if he is both the Thinker and Metron?

The producers have called him The Thinker. He's a Flash villain. You're thinking way too much into it (like when people tried to say Wells was Metron back in S1). Yeah they look similar but it's way out of the show's range so far.

Again it's a stretch (Ralph Dibny) when Supergirl is about to jump into cosmic teams.

The producers have called him The Thinker. He's a Flash villain. You're thinking way too much into it (like when people tried to say Wells was Metron back in S1). Yeah they look similar but it's way out of the show's range so far.

Again it's a stretch (Ralph Dibny) when Supergirl is about to jump into cosmic teams.
Do you think the Mobius Chair itself would be outside of the shows range?

ZeroX03

Banned

Maybe? The Cosmic Treadmill would fulfill that role in a way that’s closer to Flash lore.

I suspect they’re going to shy away from time travel nonsense for a while after S3’s backlash, like they’re doing with super speed villains.

New Gods stuff has largely been placed in the Superman and Justice League books and shows for DC. They have a Superman-family show, so that's where they'll use them.

Arrow uses Batman and Teen Titans stuff because the Green Arrow comics overlap with the Batman and Titans books a lot.

Joni

Finally managed to see The Flash, was not really worth it. It isn't breezier, keeping most of the characters as bores. Caitlin however was a true MVP. She looked nice, she didn't obsess about her dark past, she brought the (set-up for the) jokes.

Smallville was a terror for that over a decade ago.

TERRIBLE episode. How often are they going to have huge shit go down in a season finale and then neatly reset stuff back to normal in the premiere? Boring, safe and predictable writing. It's such a shame about this show's gradual decline since season 1.

ZeroX03

Banned
This is a fun synopsis for the Oct 31st episode...

Elongated Journey Into Night
Cisco (Carlos Valdes) is shocked when Gypsy's (guest star Jessica Camacho) father, Breacher (guest star Danny Trejo), shows up on Earth-1. Breacher takes an immediate disliking to Cisco and decides to hunt him. Meanwhile, Barry (Grant Gustin) runs into his old nemesis, Ralph Dibny (guest star Hartley Sawyer).

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh right just realized
Ralph Dibny is supposed to be dead right

Yes he was
name dropped as dead in an early episode, but that's easily retconned by Flashpoint or just ignoring it altogether. Barry supposedly knows him, so I'd say just ignored.

I know they rushed it and all but I enjoyed it. The design of the thinker was really cool, and like others have noted, did bring to mind Metron. But the new gods are way out of the budget of this show.

But I prefer a soft reset to be honest.

Also, I assume Barry was reliving the past and future moments of his own timestream he must've experienced in the speedforce. Right? Those phrases are likely to come back in future episodes.

ZeroX03

Banned
A new episode coming in hot tonight!

#4.02 "Mixed Signals"
Episode Promo
"Therapy" Trailer
BARRY AND IRIS GO TO COUPLES THERAPY — Barry (Grant Gustin) has his hands full when he takes on a dangerous meta (guest star Dominic Burgess) who can control technology, while also confronting an obstacle in his personal life: the ramifications of abandoning Iris (Candice Patton) for six months to balance the Speed Force. Meanwhile, Gypsy (guest star Jessica Camacho) breaches in for a hot, steamy, sexy date with Cisco (Carlos Valdes), but she gets annoyed when his work keeps them apart. Alexandra La Roche directed the episode written by Jonathan Butler & Gabriel Garza (#402).
the-flash-season-4-photos-14-1030535.jpg

Slayven

Finally got around to watching the season premiere.

Nice Marvel shout out

Barry getting sprung from prison felt a little anticlimactic.

Anyone really buying Tough Iris?

The samurai costume was really well done.

Top Bottom