• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 04/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid

^ lol @ pic! :D

Anyway, the referee from the Aston Villa-Chelsea game has withdraw the yellow card he gave Drogba. he admitted it was a penalty.

Solid

Why is this thread so dead right now? Champions League begins today!!!!

PGS-Chelsea for me. I might see the re-run of Barcas game before the World Cup final too :)

Kola

So, how's the TV situation in the other European countries? Can you watch it in free TV, or is everything exclusivly on pay TV? They are only showing one game per week for free here, so I gotta find a pub soon or else...

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Haha, that pic's awesome.

In England, viewing rights are changing all the time, so I'm not entirely sure how it's going to work for this season yet but I'll give it a go.

Basically it's all over the place. England home games are free, but England away games are paid (not even any highlights on free TV anymore, I couldn't believe it). Premiership games live are all paid, but highlights are free. One Champions' League game a week is free, one is on digital (not the same as paid) and I think there are some on paid TV too. The UEFA Cup usually has at least one game being shown free each time it's on (though they seem to buy rights round by round, so you're never sure who you'll get) and others are paid. While there isn't anything coming up this year, all major international football tournaments (the World Cup and European Cup) are exclusively free. Assuming the FA Cup rights are the same as last season, the BBC (a free channel) gets first pick of the games, then Sky (paid) pick second, then the BBC again and finally Sky one more time. So they get two games each (I think that's right anyway). The Worthington Cup (the League Cup) seems to be exclusive to paid TV now, until the final anyway, then it's free.

Think I've covered all of them there. Basically, if like me you don't have paid TV, you get to watch a decent amount of football, but you're not going to see live Premiership games, the thing most people would want above the rest.

Solid

brooklyngooner said:
I have a feeling this one might be a rather drab 0-0 draw.
Well me too.. but since I cheer for Chelsea i have to watch it. I've seen every game so far :D

"So, how's the TV situation in the other European countries? Can you watch it in free TV, or is everything exclusivly on pay TV? They are only showing one game per week for free here, so I gotta find a pub soon or else..."

Hmm.. I believe one free channel shows one game here too, the rest is pay tv (4 live and 4 re-run games). Oh and I live in Sweden.

Deepthroat said:
Well me too.. but since I cheer for Chelsea i have to watch it. I've seen every game so far :D

Yeah I didn't mean that one as an insult -- just that it seems Chelsea have yet to hit any sort of goalscoring stride and with an away tie with a rather unthreatening opponent to open the group stage, I doubt Jose lets them take many risks going forward.

Shinobi

Mama Smurf said:
Haha, that pic's awesome.

In England, viewing rights are changing all the time, so I'm not entirely sure how it's going to work for this season yet but I'll give it a go.

Basically it's all over the place. England home games are free, but England away games are paid (not even any highlights on free TV anymore, I couldn't believe it). Premiership games live are all paid, but highlights are free. One Champions' League game a week is free, one is on digital (not the same as paid) and I think there are some on paid TV too. The UEFA Cup usually has at least one game being shown free each time it's on (though they seem to buy rights round by round, so you're never sure who you'll get) and others are paid. While there isn't anything coming up this year, all major international football tournaments (the World Cup and European Cup) are exclusively free. Assuming the FA Cup rights are the same as last season, the BBC (a free channel) gets first pick of the games, then Sky (paid) pick second, then the BBC again and finally Sky one more time. So they get two games each (I think that's right anyway). The Worthington Cup (the League Cup) seems to be exclusive to paid TV now, until the final anyway, then it's free.

Think I've covered all of them there. Basically, if like me you don't have paid TV, you get to watch a decent amount of football, but you're not going to see live Premiership games, the thing most people would want above the rest.

That's pathetic...the fact that Canadians get to see one live and at least one taped Premership tilt a week on basic cable (and the first few Saturdays this year we've basically had triple headers) and you guys can't even see a free match live anymore is a joke. Heh, they say the passion for sports (whatever sport that maybe) is universal...but so is the money grab associated with it.

Anyway, is Arsenal playing today? If so, how are they doing? For any Canadian viewers, Celtic/Barcelona is about to start on TSN. Celtic fans look to be in great spirits, though I imagine they'll be hard pressed to get a favourable result. Then again, didn't Celtic beat Barcelona last year? Guess they've got that to lean on.

Mama Smurf

Gabby Logan is gorgeous. More on that later.

Arsenal deservedly winning, which is good as PSV are going to have to come out more and it should stop their frustrating play first half. Sure do love their long shots though, not that they can strike the ball at all.

Mama Smurf

Alright, I was wrong, the second half was pretty uninspiring. aresnal almost threw the game away at the end. It's pretty much the only weakness they have (except for Cygan), and it's one many good teams share. They try to overplay the ball in certain situations when they should just hoof it. Actually reminds me of England a bit.

I stand by my Gabby Logan comment though.

ourumov

Shit....
We were doing an awesome match :(....Today is not Ronaldinho's day...I hope Larsson does something .

Kola Jimmy Jump is back. After the Euro2004 Final in Lissabon, the Fashion Week in London and the Formula 1 GP in Barcelona he now ran onto the field in Nou Camp - Barcelona vs Sevilla - and put his stupid hat on Eto'o's head.

This "stupid hat" is called Barretina and it's a traditional Catalan hat.

ourumov

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL de GIULY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

060704_Giuly_trans.jpg

Da master !!!

Edit:

AND ANOTHER ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
010704_Larsson_trans.jpg

LARSSON SCORES !!!!

Hooker

Only had Arsenal - PSV on TV here (kinda logical). Arsenal was lucky it stayed 1-0, their backs were against the wall the last 20 minutes of the game.

Some pretty nasty fouls in the Celtic - Barça game. Marquez and Gio's legs were almost kicked off clean. And not even a fucking free kick :/

And Seedorf once again showing his skill scoring the only goal for Milan :)

Alucard

Banned
I only caught the Barcelona/Celtic game. Ronaldinho needs to see a dentist. Ahem...

Deco's goal was gorgeous, as was the lone Celtic strike. I really thought that Celtic had a chance after tying it up, but it just wasn't meant to be. Larsson's goal was just embarassing for the Celtic defense as well. I don't think they're going anywhere with performances like these.

Kola

Can't believe how Real got owned today. Leverkusen won against Bayern in an amazing match 4:1, then LOST against a LOSERTEAM like Mainz 05 0:2 and now this. Crazy!

ourumov

Real Madrid has done an excellent match that will be the typical match they will do this season on both "La Liga" and the "Champions".
I am so happy...
I want to see all those that criticized Barça atacking their beloved Real Madrid.

Fowler

Real crash... surprising considering Walter Samuel started.

The real story was in Rome though, where the freaking savages that make up Roman football fans (Lazio and Roma both!) forced the game to be abandoned. Roma were down 1-0 at home to Dynamo Kiev (brilliant free-kick), and then literally on the stroke of half-time Phillipe Mexes was sent off for kicking Verpakovskis.

As the ref Anders Frisk walked off, someone in the crowd threw what looks to be a cigarette lighter at the ref, it hits him in the head, blood starts pouring from a cut in his head. The game is suspended for 35 minutes and then... Frisk decides that the fourth official isn't senior enough to take charge of the game in his place, so the game has to be abandoned.

The whole situation is retarded. Firstly, YOU CANNOT THROW THINGS AT PLAYERS OR OFFICIALS. This is obvious, but needs to be repeated, since the Roma fans are out of control -- remember, last year they had the Rome derby stopped because of a (false) rumour that the police killed a little girl. Secondly, though I think Anders Frisk is a bit of a cock he is one of the best referees in the game and his red card for Mexes was completely warranted. Mexes is an idiot. He walked over and kicked Verpakovskis! You cannot be more obvious than what he did, and he deserved to be sent off. And lastly, what do you mean the fourth official "isn't senior enough"? Why is he there, then? The fourth official is usually another UEFA-standard referee, and yes, one of the reasons they pick someone that qualified to basically just hold the substitution/injury time board up is so that they can take over if the referee cannot continue. Does Frisk just reckon the situation in the crowd is too much for any ref to handle, was he being a cock, or is the fourth official an intern? What's going on?

(And jesus fucking god Glenn Hoddle is a COMPLETE MORON. He's on Sky Sports talking utter bollocks about the Roma situation. Idiot spent the first five minutes ranting about how Roman fans were neanderthals, and then when Ray Wilkins proposes giving all the points to Kiev he starts saying "Well maybe the fan who threw the lighter was a Russian! What then?" Idiot.)

Mama Smurf

I haven't seen it, but I hear this sort of thing about Roma/Lazio all the time.

Fifa/UEFA should ban fans from going to the games for a whole season. May seem over the top, but it's the only way I can see it being sorted out. They need to do something to force the clubs to get rid of these "supporters", and that would do it. See how the club likes the drop in revenue, how they like fans complaining to them, how badly the team plays without a crowd supporting them. Maybe throw Roma out of Europe too.

SantaC

Swedish ref Anders frisk was hit by a metal object of a Roma supporter today in a match between roma and dynamo Kiev. Frisk went to hospital and the match was cancelled.

frisk3--310x210.jpg

what a disgrace!

Yeah Glenn is a bit idiotic at times. A Russian threw it, bloody hell. Actually on the pictures where it shows Mexes walking off, you can see a guy in the crowd throw something towards the ref. I don't know if that's the guy that hit him though.

It was an utterly disgraceful act. I could probably imagine all the officials discussing the situation and deciding not to carry the on for safety reasons, their own and the players. Only one possible outcome really, Kiev handed the points and Roma forced to play their games behind closed doors. They might even get a points deduction.

Terrible that it overshadowed a great night of football. The freekick was bloody fantastic, I love when it hits the underside of the crossbar and goes in. Great performance out of Real as well. ;)

Fowler

Yeah, the points have to go to Kiev and Roma have to move their games to a neutral location (that's the usual outcome isn't it?).

There were some awesome goals last night. Liverpool's two (sorry, I'm biased) were neat, good teamwork for Cisse's and a great solo goal from Baros; Lyon's second against Man United was a really good finish, as was Van Nisterooy's first goal; Kiev's free-kick was great (and yeah, I love it when everyone stops as the ball smacks off the underside of the bar, unsure where it's going to go and what to do about it); the first two Leverkusen goals were really good; but the best of the night was definitely Nedved's goal against Ajax. Just an awesome, awesome goal. Good interplay between Del Piero and Camoranesi to set it up, and that finish... he flicked it into the top corner from outside the box. Brilliant stuff.

Oh, and I'm so glad I can say this, I've been waiting since the day he signed for Man U... TIM HOWLER!

(Ah, brings back Calamity James memories)

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Can't say I'm bothered with the result. After I left the game I felt a tinge of disappointment but that was it. Outclassed, plain and simple by the better team with better players, better facilities, better money and better everything.

First half we were awful and could barely string a pass together which caused the classy Deco goal. Second half, a lot better. Started to attack more with a more direct game with Sutton coming on and scoring which reeked of his brilliance. Then they turned up a gear and tore us apart.

We sign Juninho and Henri Camara. They sign Europe's most valuable player, a player that got an okay-good team to the Champions League Final, a super striker that tore apart Real Madrid last season (Not exactly hard by today's standards), have one of the best young players in La Liga on the bench as well as one of my all time footballing idols.

Then there's the best player in the world Ronaldinho, the sublime Xavi, Carles Puyol one of the best defenders in Europe, Gio Van Bronckhorst who is pure class and Victor Valdes a smashing young goalkeeper.

Just can't compete.

Bring on the AC Milan in the San Siro!*

*Prepares for The Slaughter*

Hooker

Oh yes, my team **FORZA MILAN** will rip everyone to shreds.

The best defense in the world: Cafu - Nesta - Stam - Maldini

The most efficient strikers in the world: Shevtjencho - Inzaghi (Crespo and Tomasson as back up)

And 3 of the most creative midfielders back them up. Kaka, Pirlo and Seedorf. Gattuso cleaning all the stuff they leave behind. (If they'd signed Davids instead of Inter they would have been unbeatable)

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
But we have Chris Sutton.

MILAN WILL BE OWNED AND PISSED ALL OVER!!!111!111!

On a more serious note, I've got a feeling you'll hammer us around 5 or 6-0. But one can always pray for a miracle. :)

Mama Smurf

Milan are extremely strong, but they can be beaten (just as anyone in the competition can). Certainly I'd put them in top 4 in the Chapion's League though.

They sign Europe's most valuable player, a player that got an okay-good team to the Champions League Final, a super striker that tore apart Real Madrid last season (Not exactly hard by today's standards), have one of the best young players in La Liga on the bench as well as one of my all time footballing idols.

Okay I got Deco, but my knowledge of Barcelona's team isn't that strong otherwise. So who's who?

Oh and...YEAH WE WON A MATCH, THAT MEAN BLACKBURN'S GOOD AGAIN RIGHT?

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Deco you got, Europe's MVP.

Ludovic Giuly was the main influence that got Monaco to the Champions League Final.
The super striker is Samuel Eto'o who destroyed Real in the Bernabeau last season. :D
The hottest young talent is Andrés Iniesta who is one of the finest young players in Europe. He's came on twice in the last two La Liga games and been highly influential, playing the killer ball through to Xavi to win the penalty against Santander, he then came on against Sevilla and dictated the pace of the midfield, upping the ante for Barca and being the catalyst for the 2nd goal scored by one of my all time faves, the one and only Henrik Larsson. :)

I've just finished watching the Madrid game and boy did they stink. :) (1-0 to Espanyol)

Camacho made some dramatic changes :-

Raul was dropped. (I was like WTF? but I give credit to Camacho for having some balls and dropping him as he hasn't being playing well enough.) - Michael Owen replaced him.

Beckham was dropped. (He and Raul got most of the criticism for the Leverkusen debacle and he was replaced by Albert Celades)

Figo was out injured, Juanfran replaced him.

Zidane was out injured, Solari replaced him.

Iker Casillas was injured, Cesar replaced him.

On the bench they had:- Raul, Guti, Beckham, Morientes and Casillas. Lucky bastards. :D

Madrid were really poor. Espanyol dominated the game in the first half and were awarded a dubious penalty. Raul Tamudo missed it the first time but was ordered to retake it as Roberto Carlos had entered the box and was almost in line with Tamudo, and guess what? He missed it again.

They then got the lead through a Maxi goal, a guy who scored a hat trick against Betis last week, near the end of the first half.

In the second half it got worse, Real were awarded a dubious penalty (Referee was poor) and Ronaldo missed it. Owen who had a quiet game was replaced by Morientes, then disaster struck. Walter Samuel, Madrid's big buy in the summer, got sent off for a little niggle at the back of an Espanyol player. It was his second booking and you really couldn't see Madrid get back into it.

Espanyol continued to push forward, with the Little Buddah (De La Pena) being at the heart of the matter. They should have got a second goal in injury time but it didn't matter, they had done enough to win 3 points.

Roll on tomorrow with the top of the table clash between Athletico Madrid and Barca.

Come on Barca.

Can't wait.

Solid

Great sunday tomorrow.

First Juventus-Atalanta > come on Zlatan! :D

Then Chelsea-Tottenham > come on Chelsea! :)

And finally Atletico Madrid - Barcelona > come on Barca!

I really, really love soccer.

ourumov

Gio scores after a great pass from Ronaldinho. They had cancelled us one goal but this one has been accepted...

21" Gio scores.

Atlético de Madrid 0 - F.C. Barcelona 1

Gio is doing an awesome match...

BTW, can anyone shoutcast me the match ? That would be great...

Shinobi

Arsenal had a tough match Saturday, managing a 2-2 tie at Highbury. Bolton is for real...I think that's pretty obvious now.

And there goes Camacho. Seriously, why would anyone in their right mind manage them? You play a bad first half and you'll end up getting sacked. Don't know why he offered his resignation though, it's going to take time to rebuild the team, too much dead wood there that needs to be cleaned out.

Get about to sit down and watch it on Sky Sports. Ferdinand is back tonight, don't know if Rooney is on the bench, Howard is dropped and Carroll is in. Decent enough United team but I think Liverpool will give them a real run for their money. Garcia and Alonso have started really well and the team is playing some good football for the first time in years, very good to see. Fingers crossed for a cracker.

Mama Smurf

Rooney's not on the bench.

I really think Liverpool are going to win this one, though it might depend how Ferdinand performs.

Bollocks to that.

Completely outplayed in the first half but only down one goal (and the free kick was never a free kick). Should have defended it though.

Shaded the second half, lucky goal for us. Then the other linesman gives a corner when it CLEARLY came off Giggs. Once again should have picked Silvestre up.

Also, SG is out for a while probably, but we probably played better as a team with him off the pitch. Less attacking threat of course but much more compact. As for the Spanish lads, Josemi is my new hero, Alonso played well once he picked up the pace of the game but Garcia was rubbish. Got the crap kicked out of him by the Man United defenders and Keane but he'll have to learn to get used to that.

ourumov

Chibbi Brady said:
And there goes Camacho. Seriously, why would anyone in their right mind manage them? You play a bad first half and you'll end up getting sacked. Don't know why he offered his resignation though, it's going to take time to rebuild the team, too much dead wood there that needs to be cleaned out.

Camacho has a lot of pride and temper. Things have to be done the way he wants or otherwise they are not done.
This is what has made him a so great trainer...This works when you are working with "normal players". But when the players in your team have big corporations behind, things change.
They never liked Camacho so they get rid of him.

Camacho is a god for the Real Madrid fans...All the fans will blame the players and not Camacho, he knew it and he refused.

Hooker

Nope, it's once every 2 weeks.

There's still an UEFA Cup match to be played. Heerenveen against Maccabi Petach-Tikva. But it has been postponed till thursday due to strikes in Israel

Alucard

Banned
What the heck is the difference between the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Champions League? Who qualifies for the Cup games?

Kola

Alucard said:
What the heck is the difference between the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Champions League? Who qualifies for the Cup games?

I'll try to illustrate it with the leagues in Spain and England. At the end of each season the teams who finish first and second go straight into the Champions League. Number three and four have to win in two qualification matches against other Cl qualifiers. If they lose their qualification they go into the UEFA Cup. IIRC the teams who finish 5th and 6th in their league qualify for the UEFA Cup

In some leagues the winner of the national cup (for example the FA Cup in England or the DFB-Pokal in Germany, don't mix it with the Premiership!) also goes straight into the UEFA Cup.

Kola

BTW: The UEFA has assessed the match between Roma and Dynamo Kyiv 0:3. No more fans are allowed in the stadium in Rome for the upcoming matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom