• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 04/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Scottish Daily Record
A football trainer who hung a 16 year-old player by his wrists naked from goalposts and used him for penalty target practice has been sacked. The scandal happened near Bonn, Germany.
blink.gif

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Ugh. Knocked out of the Carling Cup by Bournemouth on penalties, how embarrassing.

To be fair to Rovers, we had about 20 shots on goal (an estimate, I lost count, lots though) and Bournemouth only had 4, but both teams scored 3. We deserved to win, but deserving doesn't get you the results if you can't finish your chances.

What has pissed me off though is the analyst and even Mark Hughes reaction. Mark Hughes was just confusing, he said something like "We didn't deserve to win today. We had the majority of the possession and lots of chances". ? Anyway, it's the analysts who really annoyed me. Me and them seem to work on a different scale of what it means to deserve to win. I think whoever plays better in the game, especially if it's such a big margin as it was today, deserves to win. They think if a Premiership team plays better, but not as well as a Premiership team should, they don't deserve to win. Very strange.

Ah well, let's us concentrate more on the Premiership I guess. Small consolation, but consolation still.

Leon

Mama Surf, if you're following the Carling Cup :

I visited the site and watched the replays of the top 5 goals of the opening round, I think it was. What the hell happened during Plymouth vs Yeovil? I tried to find a match review, but couldn't anywhere.

cja

The draw for the third round of the Carling Cup.

Portsmouth v Leeds
Chelsea v West Ham
Middlesbrough v Coventry
Doncaster v Nottm Forest
Newcastle v Norwich
Millwall v Liverpool
Burnley v Aston Villa
Southampton v Colchester
Sheff United v Watford
Everton v Leicester/Preston
Charlton v Crystal Palace
Bolton v Tottenham
Bournemouth v Cardiff
Man City v Arsenal
Birmingham v Fulham
Crewe v Man Utd

I'll be at Gresty Road for the Man United game. :D The manc reserves are sure to be quaking in their colourful boots at this draw!

ourumov

Fc. Barcelona - Zaragoza 1-1

Until now...Etoo has scored ! At the end !!! :)

Edit1: 2 -1 Again Etoo.

Edit2: 3-1 Xavi :) This one has been i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-le !

Edit3: 4-1 Gio. Good job.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Is the match finished,ourumov?

Anyway, go Barca!! :D

I'm glad AC were humbled by the lowly Messina at the San Siro.

Gives us some hope for next week. :)

I'm still praying.

ourumov

Nah...The match is still going. I hope we score another one since for now the gol average makes us 2nd in "La Liga" (same points as Valencia).
Awesome match of Ronaldinho and Etoo.

Edit: Now it's ended. :)

Bloody forked up my back again playing grrr.....

Anyway, just watching the Man Utd - Spurs game on RTE. Fair play to them for actually getting some live premiership matches this season. I think they've got about 15 or so, all on a Saturday. Van Nistelrooy just scored a penalty, pretty poor game though. Spurs just keep hoofing it up to Kanoute, hopfeully the goal before half-time will make for a better second half.

Mama Smurf

Anyone hear Barry Davies is retiring? Pretty sad, he was always my favourite commentator.

Everytime there was a big game on the BBC I'd hope Barry Davies would get it over John Motson, though they seemed to split it pretty equally. Strange time to retire though, we're barely into the season.

Speaking of commentators, I hate the guy who does Robot Wars too. I hated him on Channel 5 and hate him now. I just can't help the association with that dumbass show.

Mama Smurf said:
Anyone hear Barry Davies is retiring? Pretty sad, he was always my favourite commentator.

Everytime there was a big game on the BBC I'd hope Barry Davies would get it over John Motson, though they seemed to split it pretty equally. Strange time to retire though, we're barely into the season.

Speaking of commentators, I hate the guy who does Robot Wars too. I hated him on Channel 5 and hate him now. I just can't help the association with that dumbass show.

I don't think theres a person alive that actually doesn't hate Johnathan Pearce.

Hooker

Jezus, Manchester United is just a monster! And Rooney and van Nistelrooij aren't even 100% fit. I wonder if they can hold this form, because then they will have good chances of getting the treble.

And yes, Makaay did annihilate Ajax. It was their own fault though...

Roma losing to Real, could have gone either way. Although I wanted Roma to win. (Barça fan :))

It was a good night for football with a shitload of goals. Let's hope we will be treated like this tomorrow as well!

Hooker said:
Jezus, Manchester United is just a monster! And Rooney and van Nistelrooij aren't even 100% fit. I wonder if they can hold this form, because then they will have good chances of getting the treble.

Huh? They're not even going to finish above Arsenal or Chelsea in the league.

Hooker said:
With all due respect, not even Arsenal and Chelsea can withstand what Man Utd. showed yesterday!

In one game, against Fehnerbahce. With all due respect, you obviously haven't seen them in any other games this year, nor have you seen Arsenal or Chelsea in action. Not only will ManYoo not win the treble, they will not win any of those three competitions.

Solid

brooklyngooner said:
In one game, against Fehnerbahce. With all due respect, you obviously haven't seen them in any other games this year, nor have you seen Arsenal or Chelsea in action. Not only will ManYoo not win the treble, they will not win any of those three competitions.

Amen! The Blues happy! :D

ps2banana.gif
ps2banana.gif
ps2banana.gif
ps2banana.gif

Chelsea-Porto and Rosenborg-Arsenal tonight. Should be fun.

Mama Smurf

Hooker said:
With all due respect, not even Arsenal and Chelsea can withstand what Man Utd. showed yesterday!

Maybe...but only if those teams fail to put in a single cross or win a corner. And with Chelsea at least, you better hope their entire defence is injured.

Hooker

I have seen the other games, and yes, they were horrible!

But you have to acknowledge that those games were without some key players. Ferdinand, Nistelrooij, Rooney...

Last night was the first time the majority of Alex' preferred players started and it clicked. United's defense has improved immensly (couldn't be any worse though lol) with the comeback of Rio, and he can only get better as he plays more matches. Rooney and van Nistelrooij still have to get used to eachother but once they do they will shred all defenses in England to bits. (those 2 supported by Giggs and Ronaldo, damn!) When it works, this attack will be on AC Milan and Barcalona levels.

Hooker said:
I have seen the other games, and yes, they were horrible!

But you have to acknowledge that those games were without some key players. Ferdinand, Nistelrooij, Rooney...

Last night was the first time the majority of Alex' preferred players started and it clicked. United's defense has improved immensly (couldn't be any worse though lol) with the comeback of Rio, and he can only get better as he plays more matches. Rooney and van Nistelrooij still have to get used to eachother but once they do they will shred all defenses in England to bits. (those 2 supported by Giggs and Ronaldo, damn!) When it works, this attack will be on AC Milan and Barcalona levels.

I don't doubt it's a potent attack, but your point was they'd win the league, CL and FA Cup off of ONE game. They're not THAT good. Even in the league, I'd still take the upfront combo of Henry and Reyes over Rooney and Van Falling Over Horseface. I'd take either Arsenal's or Chelsea's midfield over ManYoo's as well; ManYoo certainly aren't way ahead in that regard even if you're a blinkered Manc (of which there are legions). And even with Rio that defense, along with Tim Howard, is shaky at best. In terms of clicking, Arsenal haven't lost a league match in 47 tries. How much better can you click than that? And they were missing Vieira and Campbell at the outset of this season.

Mama Smurf

It might be that last night was a one off, it's too early to say either way yet, but last night the defending from Utd was terrible. And that back 4 is probably the one Ferguson wants to be his first choice.

Fenerbache really shouldn't have been a threat, but without really managing to attack that often they managed to score two goals, have a goal disallowed, hit the post, force Roy Carrol into a couple of saves and basically embarrass Utd whenever a cross came in.

Rooney and Van Nistelrooy are going to be a threat to any team in the world, and replace Bellion, Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson with Keane, Ronaldo and Scholes and you have an improved team, but that defence better get their act together before they face the likes of Arsenal or AC Milan.

their goals weren't the defensive fault both times it should have been a midfielder picking them up, djemba has in my opinion had enuff time to prove himself and he hasn't done it. Kleberson I'm liking even more each time i see him, he's got flair and an eye for a great pass.

ohh every one of our goals last night http://www.manumovies.co.uk/

Hooker

About the treble, I was excited man!! I had just seen the match so :p

They won't win the CL, AC Milan will do that (or Barça) Arsenal will fail miserably in all leagues, as usual ;). They did great last year though, no denying that. Chelsea is a mixed bag, I just hope our boy Robben will play a lot. We need him in the qualifiers

Mama Smurf

MrPing1000 said:
their goals weren't the defensive fault both times it should have been a midfielder picking them up, djemba has in my opinion had enuff time to prove himself and he hasn't done it. Kleberson I'm liking even more each time i see him, he's got flair and an eye for a great pass.

Well wheoever it is that's allowing them to concede such goals needs to be sorted out anyway.

Yeah, Kleberson's alright, but nothing overly special. Djemba-Djemba is just shit (well, not up to Utd standards anyway) and, despite Bellion's goal, I still don't think he's anywhere near the level to be playing for Man Utd. He should be playing for Everton or Birmingham or any middling team, not the top ones. Don't think much of Fletcher either.

Really, everyone knows who Utd's midfield should be. Giggs on the left, Scholes and Keane in the centre, Ronaldo on the right. Kleberson and Miller should be the main cover, and maybe O'Shea too (though I prefer him as a defender).

Solid

Chelsea's line-up.

...................Cech...................

Ferreira...Carvalho...Terry...Gallas

Smertin........Makelele.......Lampard

Gudjohnsen....Drogba........Duff

Substitutes: 23 Carlo Cudicini, 2 Glen Johnson, 29 Robert Huth, 14 Gérémi, 30 Tiago, 10 Joe Cole, 9 Mateja Kezman.

AND OFF WE GO! GOOD LUCK HAVE FUN! :p

WE LOVE YOU FREDDY
BECAUSE YOU'VE GOT NO HAIR
WE LOVE YOU FREDDY
BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT ALL THERE
WE LOVE YOU FREDDY
BECAUSE YOU'RE ARSENAL THROUGH AND THROUGH

ONE-NIL TO THE ARSENAL...

Mama Smurf

It's far too early to say I suppose, but if I was to predict who'll go on to win the Champion's League this year, I wouldn't be looking past AC Milan, Chelsea or Barcelona.

Of course, all it takes is bad luck in one tie, maybe an off game, and those teams could fall, but I don't expect another season like last year.

Fularu

Banned
Damn I'm joigning this thread late :p

A Paris Saint Germain fan here, living in quebec, Canada!

Thanks god Paris won their first match since the start of the season this saturday, hopefully they'll fair better in their next CL match than they did against chelsea (god that was embarassing)

Here's hoping that victory will help them male a long waited "come back"

logotour.jpg

I'm a Real Madrid fan for life and I'm happy with the semi reaction they had yesterday against Roma, but man is it a joy or what to watch Barca play right now. They've formed such a great team. Every position covered with talented players that know their role perfectly. It's a delight the way they carry themselves on the pitch.

And Ronaldinho is the man. Is there any doubt that he is the best in the world right now? I prayed to God for Real to spend their money last summer on Ronaldinho and two quality defenders, but he didn't listen to me and they ended up buying pretty boy Becks. Ronnie is the king of all things beautiful in football. Even with his ugly mug, just by touching the ball, the world is a better place. I love Ronnie, keep up the good fight. You're a good man.

Hooker

I like Kaká better than Ronaldinho. Kaká doesn't fuck around as much. Plus, he does it against Italian defenders who give you less space to do your stuff.

Real was kinda fortunate with the referee's decisions. Totti got nailed twice from behind (quite ugly as well), he could've given red cards for both offenses.

I don't see any problem with all the showboating Ronaldinho does, because everything he does produces something positive for the team. He doesn't do it just for the flash, he makes things happen that end up most of the time in dangerous situations. Kaka is also great, but his recent form doesn't compare to what he showed when he just arrived in Milan. He shocked me back then. Absolutely amazing. Of course, he is extremely young and still playing at a very high level every game. You can't ask much more from him.

Interesting picture I found...

9etooronaldinho.jpg

:lol

Kola

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
I'm a Real Madrid fan for life and I'm happy with the semi reaction they had yesterday against Roma, but man is it a joy or what to watch Barca play right now.

A Real Madrid fan would never say something like that! :)

Solid

Arsenal stars in Rosenborg bust-up

Police had to intervene after two Arsenal players, thought to be captain Patrick Vieira and Cameroon international Lauren, clashed following the Gunners' 1-1 draw at Rosenborg.

The bust-up occurred on the team coach after a game which Arsenal, perennial under-achievers in the Champions League, had been expected to win.

Arsenal say they are mystified by the reports but Rosenborg's head of security Hallgeir Stokken confirmed that two Gunners had to be pulled apart.

He told The Sun: 'There was an argument between two players which turned into a physical confrontation.

'I have been told that two other players had to step in.'

Trondheim police officer Erik Svensson told the Daily Mirror: 'Two police officers, one of them a motorcyclist, had to go on the bus and then it was calmed down.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=311954&cc=5739
Hah! I hope this will make them losing some games :p

Kola said:
A Real Madrid fan would never say something like that! :)

What can I say? I don´t hate them like 99% of Madrid fans do. Plus, I´m a football fan first and foremost. :)

And I hope Lauren kicks the shit out of Vieira for leaving Madrid hanging. :D

Deepthroat said:
Hah! I hope this will make them losing some games :p

SHALL WE WIN THE
SHALL WE WIN THE
SHALL WE WIN THE LEAGUE FOR YOU?

What makes me curious is that Lauren is always involved in them -- with Henry last year as well and others. I want to know whether it's Lauren being a dick or Henry, Vieira et al. calling him out on something (perhaps his being beaten for pace down that flank?) and a fight going from there.

But not scything Rosenborg apart was embarassing. It doesn't fill me with confidence about this year's CL campaign if we can't walk this group, when on our best day there are few, if any, teams who can play with us.

Meanwhile, Millwall supporters involved in brawls outside a stadium last night. Geewhoduhthunkit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom