• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Awakens Box Office Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRock

This thread is 1999 all over again with people predicting Phantom Menace gonna take down Titanic because of pre-hype.

Well, one should note that Titanic was critically acclaimed and TPM was panned. Lots of people who normally don't go to the theater much will go for critically acclaimed films burning up the box office. They don't want to miss out.

Although, I suppose one does have to admit the phenomenon of teenage girls going to see Titanic 15 times.

jett

D-Member
People think that Decenber represents some insane barrier that will stop people from seeing the movie. Even though avatar and titanic were both released in this month.

If people want to see this movie. Nothing will stop them. Star Wars is an event. Not just another movie.

Avatar and Titanic didn't blast out of the gates with hundreds of millions of dollars in the opening weekend like some people are predicting here. Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

mcz117chief

Although, I suppose one does have to admit the phenomenon of teenage girls going to see Titanic 15 times.

It sounds like you are trying to say that die hard Star Wars fans won't do the same thing

btw. why is everybody talking about Avatar as the benchmark. As far as I know Gone with the Wind made more money than Avatar.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
People think that Decenber represents some insane barrier that will stop people from seeing the movie. Even though avatar and titanic were both released in this month.

If people want to see this movie. Nothing will stop them. Star Wars is an event. Not just another movie.

I don't think anyone is saying films can't have big grosses in the holiday (because they can)
just that openings are muted and legs are better

Although only 2 of the top 10, and 3 of the top 20, 5 of the top 30, 7 of the top 40 and 9 of the top 50 domestic grosses were released in the Holiday season, with three of them being the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the top 2 being Titanic and Avatar.

BlackRock

It sounds like you are trying to say that die hard Star Wars fans won't do the same thing.

No, I think Star Wars fan will indeed return multiple times if the film is good enough. I also think it can bring in a wider audience than most blockbuster films. Both of those need to happen to have unbelievable box office runs like Titanic or Avatar.

I think the James Cameron recipe is real, though. People rrespond to films that are visually spectacular, but full of human emotion. Cameron is a hopeless romantic and he makes deeply romantic films (and I mean that in the sense greater than just romantic love). Lucas accomplished that with the original trilogy, but failed to do so in the prequels. Titanic succeeded because it swept people off their feet. I remember how many girls in my high school saw it over and over again. I can't think of any other film quite like that.

mcz117chief

No, I think Star Wars fan will indeed return multiple times if the film is good enough. I also think it can bring in a wider audience than most blockbuster films. Both of those need to happen to have unbelievable box office runs like Titanic or Avatar.

I think the James Cameron recipe is real, though. People rrespond to films that are visually spectacular, but full of human emotion. Cameron is a hopeless romantic and he makes deeply romantic films (and I mean that in the sense greater than just romantic love). Lucas accomplished that with the original trilogy, but failed to do so in the prequels. Titanic succeeded because it swept people off their feet. I remember how many girls in my high school saw it over and over again. I can't think of any other film quite like that.

I wonder what made Gone with the Wind the most successful movie of all time. There was no CGI back then or spectacular practical effects ala Alien of Jurassic Park.

Measley

This thread is 1999 all over again with people predicting Phantom Menace gonna take down Titanic because of pre-hype.

The issue with TPM is that while it was Star Wars, and was front-loaded with hype, the movie itself wasn't very good, and negative word of mouth reduced repeat viewing. Beyond all that, I remember distinctly that people hated Jar-Jar, and the kid who played Anakin Skywalker.

If TPM was actually a good film, it would have beaten Titanic.

TFA, if its a good film, has a very good chance of beating everything. Its going to have little box office competition, its entering a season where going to the theater is an option instead of being outside in the cold, and its Star Wars. You have people like myself who grew up with the OT taking their kids to see the new films as if its some sort of custom.

I would never bet against a good Star Wars film.

How the fuck did avatar make so much money???

No baggage. You didn't have to read any books or watch any prequels or be a fan of the universe. Stuff like Star Wars and MCU are obviously huge but some portion of the audience already has their mind made up. If you don't like Star Wars or comic books then you don't like Star Wars or comic books and no amount of hype will change that.

Avatar and Titanic didn't blast out of the gates with hundreds of millions of dollars in the opening weekend like some people are predicting here.

Yeah, this goes to the point I made earlier in the thread: In order for a film to seriously threaten Avatar (and finally surpass Titanic) it needs to be a movie whose interest and presence of mind in the populace continues to grow past opening weekend, and actually peaks weeks/months after its release.

I don't think that's going to happen with Force Awakens. Unless it's somehow a legitimately great film (not great in terms of Star Wars, but a great film that just happens to be a Star Wars movie, too) I have a hard time seeing interest in this movie growing past opening weekend. December 18th is going to be as popular as this film ever gets. The question is how slowly will that popularity wane. Winter will help keep the legs long, but I don't see a scenario where Force Awakens opens strong, and then three weeks later is somehow more interesting/exciting/enticing to the general audience.

CassSept

To be fair, The Phantom Menace was a liquid pile of doo-doo with a terrible word-of-mouth and it still managed to outgross everything but Titanic on hype alone, so it's not hard to see why people's imaginations are running wild with all the positive hype surrounding The Force Awakens.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Opening weekend gross - $240M
Domestic gross - $800M
Worldwide gross - $3.2B

It will also be the highest grossing film of all time in New Zealand, pipping even the mighty LotR franchise here.

jett

D-Member
To be fair, The Phantom Menace was a liquid pile of doo-doo with a terrible word-of-mouth and it still managed to outgross everything but Titanic on hype alone, so it's not hard to see why people's imaginations are running wild with all the positive hype surrounding The Force Awakens.

And yet it still grossed 900 million less than Titanic.

BlackRock

I wonder what made Gone with the Wind the most successful movie of all time. There was no CGI back then or spectacular practical effects ala Alien of Jurassic Park.

Not sure if you're looking for a serious answer, but an entire set was burned for the film. The shot panning out of all the wounded Confederate soldiers is iconic. Those were huge "special effects" for its day. GWTW is filled with sweeping vistas and spectacle. The costumes and sets. It very effectively captures the opulence and way of life in the South that was lost once the war began. And it's a film filled with romance. I'd say GWTW fits the formula perfectly.

I'm not saying TFA isn't going to destroy the box office. I actually think it will, assuming the film delivers on the promise of its trailers. I've said that earlier in the thread. Just riffing on what makes these super blockbuster films.

3N16MA

Banned
TFA has a much better chance at breaking Avatar's domestic record than the OS record. I see it surpassing JW and hitting at least 700M.

It won't need Avatar's domestic legs as I can see it pulling in 100M more than Avatar's OW. I still believe it will make a run at the OW record, even if it is a December release. It's a December release that will act like a massive summer blockbuster on OW.

OS is a completely different story. I think Avatar's record is safe. TFA will become the third 2B film and challenge Titanic for #2.

Dead

well not really...yet
Opening weekend gross - $240M
Domestic gross - $800M
Worldwide gross - $3.2B

It will also be the highest grossing film of all time in New Zealand, pipping even the mighty LotR franchise here.
LOTR actually isnt the top grossing film in New Zealand. It's Avatar, by a huge margin. Both were largely made in NZ at least.

mjc

If the movie is even just DECENT it'll get insane rewatches from people. I can see it beating Avatar in that case.

Dead

well not really...yet
3D, omg look at this amazing new tech! It was an event at the time.
You realize there were multiple 3D and CG heavy films made and released before Avatar right? Saying the movie was successful only because it was in 3D is disingenuous as fuck, but also an insult to Cameron's directing prowess.

3N16MA

Banned
I forgot to list the midnight and OD categories.

This has a very good shot at toppling DH2 midnight gross with all the 7PM shows. DH2 grossed 43.5M from midnight shows.

There is no chance this plays like a typical December opening or grosses 100M-120M with a massive midnight and opening day.

Disney will get all the worlds money upon release, than run for president cause corporation are poeple. Then Rule the world.

My Estimte
1.6 billion ww box office gross

mcz117chief

Not sure if you're looking for a serious answer, but an entire set was burned for the film. The shot panning out of all the wounded Confederate soldiers is iconic. Those were huge "special effects" for its day. GWTW is filled with sweeping vistas and spectacle. The costumes and sets. It very effectively captures the opulence and way of life in the South that was lost once the war began. And it's a film filled with romance. I'd say GWTW fits the formula perfectly.

I'm not saying TFA isn't going to destroy the box office. I actually think it will, assuming the film delivers on the promise of its trailers. I've said that earlier in the thread. Just riffing on what makes these super blockbuster films.

wow, that sounds amazing! I need to see the movie because, believe it or not, I haven't seen it yet.

ArmGunar

Don't forget 2 things for Opening US week-end and Opening Worldwide :

- December release so, never it will top 208M's Jurassic World opening (unfortunately) ...

- No release of Star Wars in China ... in december so the opening worldwide won't count China (not like Furious 7 or Jurassic World)

So I predict:
- 150-170M for Opening US week-end (which is awesome when you see the 84M Hobbit actual record holder)
- 460M for Opening Worldwide (unfortunately, no China numbers and not breaking record of 500M+ set by Jurrassic World because of december release in US too)

- 650M domestic total if movie is meh
- 800-830M domestic total if movie is awesome

2,1 billion total gross worldwide
(1,6-1,7 billion if movie is meh)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
More important than dollar predictions, lets predict the external forces to be blamed when it doesn't hit titanic numbers.
Seriously.
I fully expect something like the "heatwave in Japan" thing that happened over at Gaming side.

It is really starting to feel like April/May 1999 again reading some of these posts. Everyone was completely positive that Titanic was going down then as well because Star Wars was Star Wars.

All three of the Star Wars prequels combined only topped Titanic's overseas gross by about $60M, despite being released 2-7 years after. I know people point to the quality of those films, but I think there are more than enough examples of that not mattering overseas.

Nothing other than Avatar has even reached Titanic's initial overseas gross (just shy of $1.25B) in the past 18 years. We are just getting to the point now that a few films are creeping up on that number with the explosion of Latin America/Asia, 3D/IMAX, and close to 20 years of ticket inflation. Avatar is another $750M above Titanic's original gross.

Furious 7 set records all over the place in the markets that are actually seeing growth today. Star Wars would have to beat that by close to 75% to hit Avatar overseas.
Do mind that LatAm as a whole is on economic downturn, all of the currencies have become notably weaker since the start of the year (or when F7 was on, even), so even if it matched F7 insane attendance numbers in the region, it'll make far less money overall in the region.

OW: 280M
OG: 550M
DG: 1.9B
OSG: 2B
WW: somewhere around 4B

Quoting for posterity. hohoho
His prediction is far, far more accurate than yours.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif
Thanks for doing this, saved me from quoting all the insanity in the thread.

No one is going to like my opinion but I think it may do fine in US domestic, but WW has shown they do not smile favorably on darker hued main protagonists.. Not to mention everybody and their mama can do special effects and CGI now which was a large part of the original Star Wars magic. Don't get me wrong, it will still do well.

My prediction.. 205-OW WW-1.1B
Yeah, they sure don't, I mean, the movie with these guys below *bombed* WW amirite?
fast-and-furious-7-20qsqqf.jpg

I heard on the TV here last night (Australia), that they sold $1000000 worth of tickets in the hours AFTER the latest trailer.

It's gonna be big.
$1M AUD or USD?

Because Avatar is a movie that rarely happens. The last one? Titanic. One before that? Star Wars. You can't predict those off "hype". You don't get "1.9%, 9.4%, 14.1%" drops week by week off hype. You can't predict that Granny Sarah and Grandpa Joe are in the theater with 3D glasses on to see this movie about blue aliens cat things.

We all know what to expect from Star Wars now. Hype alone doesn't push a film to Avatar numbers. Furious 7 broke all kinds of records and it's still over a billion shy of Avatar. JW came out and slapped haters to the #3 spot (myself included) and is still over a billion behind Avatar and it had to crawl to even get that close. Avatar made over $2 Billion internationally alone. HP never got that close. No SW movie ever got that close. Marvel. Transformers. Jurassic World. Etc. Not even scratching at the back door. This is the "Age of Ultron is going to dethrone Titanic because Marvel is so hot right now" all over again.

There is no formula where Star Wars + "Because Star Wars" = $3 Billion WW. You never saw it from any of the previous movies so assuming it's going to happen now is the definition of insanity. The market hasn't grown enough for that to be the case. Big movies are averaging $1.0-1.2 Billion. The really big ones a bit more. It will sell a lot. And it will most likely be the #3 and possibly #2 movie all time (doubt it) when it's said and done. But it's not beating Avatar.

Nah
I'd argue that Jurassic Park is the one before Titanic, at least WW.
Agreed on everything else.

The Cameron films that killed at the box office didn't just have legs - they also didn't reach peak interest until weeks/months after they'd already opened. There was interest in both of those movies, yes. Avatar and Titanic were both front of mind for large numbers of people, but they didn't become "phenomenons" until weeks into their winter runs.

I don't know that interest in The Force Awakens is ever going to be higher than it is opening night. It may end up with very long legs as word of mouth rolls (depending on whether the film is good or not) but I'm not seeing a scenario where, 2 or 3 weeks into release, interest in the film starts going UP, much less surpassing the point it's currently at.

That's going to be maybe the biggest obstacle towards being the phenomenon it absolutely needs to be to threaten Avatar. It looks like a Summer film built to run like a Summer film, with extended legs due to the fact it's in the Winter. And that's going to ensure it makes an amazing, astounding amount of money.

But unless it can somehow maintain the level of interest it has on opening night for something like a solid month or two, it's not threatening Avatar. Because Avatar didn't really become AVATAR until about a month in. And that's when the stories started rolling in, and the media attention intensified. It didn't really peak on opening weekend. Force Awakens probably will.
Such an accurate observation, I'm quoting it so more people see it :D

OW: $150 mil
WW OW: $500 mil

Domestic gross: $800 mil
OS gross: $1,4 bil

Total: $2,2 bil

All things considered, I don't think it can get OW record in December, but it will crush past December records. If it's not a total pos it has a shot at Avatar domestically (JW was quite close and the two are not comparable), but worldwide best case scenario it will beat Titanic, Avatar is unreachable for now. Definitely 3rd gross of all-time by the time it ends it run, maybe 2nd, only behind Cameron. So, like Phantom Menace.
JW was not "close", it's $9M short of passing Titanic (which it won't), and about $110M away from Avatar.
Let's not even talk about the OS difference.

It wont beat Jurassic World :sorry:
image.php

If everybody sees it, it still won't catch Avatar. Everybody needs to see it twice. That's where Avatar wins.

All the 'everybody I've spoken to is going to see it' anectotal evidence and sold out prescreenings mean jack shit if it doesn't get crazy repeat business like Avatar.

Avatar still had sold out showings everywhere on its third weekend.

I do think this has a chance of topping Titanic though. I see it joining Cameron in the $2b club.
More like five times :p

People really forgot how big Avatar did worldwide. That will not happen again. The movie can top Titanic though and grab the #2 slot though if everything lines up perfectly.

I have been holding at around 650-685 domestic and 1.5-1.6 billion worldwide. I am starting to feel like leaning towards 750 domestic and 2-2.2 billion worldwide....but I do not want to allow myself to go there just yet, I don't want my own hype for this film to cloud my prediction.

I remember the thread of Marvel fanboys acting like idiots proclaiming MCU has toppled Star Wars and Ultron will do 300 mil opening weekend when everyone in their right mind knew joe public did not care about Ultron to the extent they think they did. I do not want to go do the same but with Star Wars. So am sticking with my original prediction.
Not only was Avatar huge worldwide, it also had the benefit of several currencies being quite strong at the time compared to the US dollar, which is not the case right now.

If TPM was as well received as it was hyped it would have had better legs than it did and would have taken down Titanic.

Not that I think TFA will take down Avatar. It won't.
Even if it had better legs, it wouldn't have topped Titanic. It might've been the first movie to cross $1b WW, but that's about it.

Box office on neogaf tends to be focused more on the US which doesn't really show just how big of a phenomenon avatar was. I was going through the Australian box office numbers the other day and it's just mind boggling. Avatar has essentially grossed twice as much as the nearest competitor. It's hard to see anything coming remotely close to that.

The people predicting star wars will dethrone avatar are basically acting like its 1999 again. We have predictions as high as 4-5 billion WW in this thread, even by 1999 levels of hype that's just crazy.
Avatar truly was a WW phenomenon like no other.
I always did find a bit funny though how it wasn't exactly big in my corner of the world though, it's not even in the top 10 either by gross or tickets sold here XD

What is this talk about summer? I don't know if there's something I'm missing but I don't get why it's important.

About the appeal, dinos sure have appeal for kids. But Star Wars has appeal for kids, young and old people.

It won't beat Avatar, but Im' sure as hell will beat JW.
No school and vacations means more free time and more likely to go to the cinema.

Snow and awful weather will.

Well, it was on for several years, never mind the several rereleases it got.

kswiston

People pointing to the Phantom Menace's poor WOM and lack of legs as reasons for it not topping Titanic realize that the actual numbers don't support that at all right? The Phantom Menace had quite good legs. It opened to similar numbers to The Lost World two years prior but ended up grossing almost double domestically. It had much better legs than the other two prequels.

Titanic and E.T. are basically tied for the highest attended initial movie runs in history. Even the original Star Wars didn't match that until you start throwing in unofficial re-releases the summers of 1978-1980.

What are people gonna do if it doesn't beat Jurassic World? Or Furious 7? I doubt it will happen but I want to live in that world just to see the meltdowns.

There's a decent chance that Star Wars will fail to top Furious 7 overseas. $1.16B is a pretty big hurdle. Star Wars will likely need at least $250-300M in China, even if it has amazing results in EU, and that is completely up in the air.

That said, Furious 7 wasn't really a mega-blockbuster domestically, and Star Wars has a pretty good chance at out grossing it by at least $300M. That should more than cancel out any shortfall overseas.

We will have to see about Jurassic World. All of these suppositions depend on Star Wars being massive overseas. If it ends up "only" doing Age of Ultron numbers (say $850-950M OS), then Jurassic World may end up ahead. It will be hard to improve much over $650M domestic.

Lima

I never understood this snow and bad weather thing. Here in Germany that is exactly the time when cinemas are filled. Summer time and amazing weather? People do shit outside.

kswiston

I never understood this snow and bad weather thing. Here in Germany that is exactly the time when cinemas are filled. Summer time and amazing weather? People do shit outside.

The Northeast coast is heavily populated and can get 6+ feet of snow in a single storm series. Most of Germany gets much less precipitation.

Laz-E-Boy

btw. why is everybody talking about Avatar as the benchmark. As far as I know Gone with the Wind made more money than Avatar.

Yes when adjusted for inflation...but that isn't a very dependable metric in this instance for this current climate (far more movies for competition, limited time a movie can stay in theaters, bootlegging, DVD/Blu-ray, more expensive to go to movies)

cacildo

How the fuck did avatar make so much money???

Im not american, i dont live in the us

It was the first 3d movie ive ever watched
It was the first 3d movie everybody i know ever watched
Critics said the 3d was impressive and groundbreaking

That made a lot of people buy tickets to see the 3d
The showings sold out... and that made MORE people want tickets
Avatar was sold out for weeks, probably got impressive box office numbers over hwre

Thats what happened in brasil. I think that is what happened all over the world too

(And in the end EVERYBODY forgot about avatar, its characters and world. We were left with its "legacy": every movie is in 3d now, with overpriced tickets, darker image and stupid glasses)

Pakkidis

If the movie gets high reviews and people love the movie, it will gross 1 Billion + easily

If the movie is terrible it will gross 500-800 million.

kswiston

It sounds like you are trying to say that die hard Star Wars fans won't do the same thing

Movies don't get 4 year initial theatre runs and 40-50 years of continual re-releases anymore. Gone with the Wind had over a decade before television was widespread in American homes, and like 40 years before home video.

Now it's an accomplishment if it takes a film longer than 8 months to hit DVD.

Also, those Gone with the Wind adjusted numbers are flawed. They take the film's yearly box office, and divide it by average ticket cost for the year, when Gone With the Wind often played at more expensive Road Show venues.

pestul

It will easily break $1b worldwide. I don't think anyone doubts that. How high above that is the debate.
I think he's speaking domestic. I really doubt SW:TFA will beat $1B domestic no matter how bombastic it is..

The ceiling is probably $800M -900M. WW, it may actually disappoint depending on how the rest of the world 'lets it in'.

mxgt

Banned
I think it has a great chance of going over $2billion

We live in a time where Furious fucking 7 makes $1.5billion.

There's a decent chance that Star Wars will fail to top Furious 7 overseas. $1.16B is a pretty big hurdle. Star Wars will likely need at least $250-300M in China, even if it has amazing results in EU, and that is completely up in the air.

That said, Furious 7 wasn't really a mega-blockbuster domestically, and Star Wars has a pretty good chance at out grossing it by at least $300M. That should more than cancel out any shortfall overseas.

We will have to see about Jurassic World. All of these suppositions depend on Star Wars being massive overseas. If it ends up "only" doing Age of Ultron numbers (say $850-950M OS), then Jurassic World may end up ahead. It will be hard to improve much over $650M domestic.

In terms of Jurassic world there are some things we can compare. The trailers for star wars have gotten much higher view counts and interest in general than Jurassic world. Pre sales for tickets also seem to be stronger as well.

I know here in Australia the attention around star wars is ridiculous. The new trailer was getting show everywhere, even in te prime time news it was getting long slots.

What does this mean in terms of BO? Fucked if I know. I do think there are at least some signs that star wars will outperform Jurassic world by some margin.

It's been years now and people are still trying to spin the 'Avatar was only successful because of 3D gimmick' narrative. What's funny is that we all predicted this shit back in 09.

Avatar still has the highest selling (2D) bluray of all time, you schlubs. It also still holds the record for most pirated film of all time. Explain that.

Avatar pushed the format on us and now we're fucking stuck with it. I gotta say as much as I really enjoyed Avatar as a theater experience and would certainly take it over the majority of blockbusters we see every year, the tradeoff was not worth it.

Now every big film I see has post-converted 3D at it's best theaters smh. This wouldn't be a problem if they were filmed specifically for it, but nah it's mostly tacked on and we gotta wear these glasses

edit; and it's made him hand off Battle Angel to robert rodriguez. Avatar wasn't worth any of this.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It's been years now and people are still trying to spin the 'Avatar was only successful because of 3D gimmick' narrative. What's funny is that we all predicted this shit back in 09.

Avatar still has the highest selling (2D) bluray of all time, you schlubs. It also still holds the record for most pirated film of all time. Explain that.

people wanted to see was it as bad as they remembered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom