• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren777

Hurry up, guys, you're running out of time!

ilUinyb6uKgow.jpg

gunther

Well, don't get me wrong, I would suck on Webber's balls, but that's more because at this point I'd be contradicting myself if I turned him down.

I never understood the meaning of being a 'fan', until now.

Anyway like all of you I can't wait for the weekend and watch this season start.

Shaneus

More or less tiresome than the Webber fanboys?
Our obsession is adorable, funny and, well, justified. A Kimi obsession is just weird. I mean, look at the guy! No discernable physical attributes to make him stand out other than the fact that he hardly ever smiles.

Anyway, you guys will be glad to know that *finally*, the GP fever is starting the media. Other people are finally excited! Woo! I've had two bacon and egg McMuffins, I'm ready to finally see some sexy F1 beasts on the track (and their cars) :D

Septimius

I've been so psyched for today. Finally being able to see a hint of what might be what. And it's raining. It's like the only time I wish it wouldn't rain in F1.

Kepler

Neo Member
My body is ready!

Just a few more hours! Too bad I have to work tomorrow so I won't be getting up in the middle of the night to catch the FP, but I will be there for qualifying!

jey_16

Banned
I'm working just a few kilometers rom the track and i can not watch, this sucks. Very overcast, i expect a fair bit of rain

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hurry up, guys, you're running out of time!

ilUinyb6uKgow.jpg

Holy crap, that thing isn't even half built.

Hilarious Racing Team again confirmed.

Has anyone seen how the VirginMarussia team are getting on? Hopefully at least they have their cars both built and ready to go?

ANDY_098

Has anyone seen how the VirginMarussia team are getting on? Hopefully at least they have their cars both built and ready to go?

Haven't heard anything to suggest they won't be ready.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware

That's not the only bad thing as its been rumoured to Total Motorsport that HRT has failed chassis homologization due to incorrect use of material to pass the roll bar crash tests and may be prevented from racing.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2012/03/HRT_Start_in_Melbourne_gefaehrdet_12031527.html

oipic

Is it still raining there now?

Taking a look through the window, and at the radar, it looks like the track will definitely see another shower or two before or during FP1. Fingers crossed it passes over beforehand, but the track will be damp regardless, I think.

[/amateurmeteorologist]

S. L.

Marussia should be fine albeit slow. From my understanding they get their "windtunnel" car when the Euro races start, the current launch car is still cfd only

ANDY_098

Taking a look through the window, and at the radar, it looks like the track will definitely see another shower or two before or during FP1. Fingers crossed it passes over beforehand, but the track will be damp regardless, I think.

[/amateurmeteorologist]

Nice. Thanks for the info.

RB8 floor:
he5df.jpg

ANDY_098

That's not the only bad thing as its been rumoured to Total Motorsport that HRT has failed chassis homologization due to incorrect use of material to pass the roll bar crash tests and may be prevented from racing.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2012/03/HRT_Start_in_Melbourne_gefaehrdet_12031527.html

Sounds like they passed a test using an Aluminium part coated in Nomex, and they have now removed the Nomex coating without FIA approval?

The translation from Google is a bit rubbish. Can anyone provide a better one?

Ark

More or less tiresome than the Webber fanboys?

Far more tiresome because the Webber stuff is actually quite amusing, the Kimi stuff just screams fanboy.

The season hasn't even started yet and it's grown very tiresome and tedious already. Even Omiee would be shocked ;)

S. L.

Sounds like they passed a test using an Aluminium part coated in Nomex, and they have now removed the Nomex coating without FIA approval?

The translation from Google is a bit rubbish. Can anyone provide a better one?

The article isn't very well written, even in German I have a hard time understanding what they are actually saying.
It lacks some explanation why that exchange of bodywork is illegal now and wasn't before.

Apparently they had some bodywork made of carbon fiber with aluminum combs. They sent it in in advance for scrutineering and it passed(?).
They exchanged that for Nomex heat resistant material and when they crash tested the tub as a whole the Nomex bodywork deformed too much. Now they switched back to the Aluminum part that passed, but they need permission for that or so it seems and it could be ruled illegal.

ANDY_098

The article isn't very well written, even in German I have a hard time understanding what they are actually saying.
It lacks some explanation why that exchange of bodywork is illegal now and wasn't before.

Apparently they had some bodywork made of carbon fiber with aluminum combs. They sent it in in advance for scrutineering and it passed(?).
They exchanged that for Nomex heat resistant material and when they crash tested the tub as a whole the Nomex bodywork deformed too much. Now they switched back to the Aluminum part that passed, but they need permission for that or so it seems and it could be ruled illegal.

Sounds like it passed the crash tests then. They just didn't get permission from the FIA to switch from the Nomex back to the Aluminium part.

Probably unfair if they were excluded from this race, but I would understand if they were on the grounds of safety.

S. L.

Sounds like it passed the crash tests then. They just didn't get permission from the FIA to switch from the Nomex back to the Aluminium part.

Probably unfair if they were excluded from this race, but I would understand if they were on the grounds of safety.

yeah, but it sounds like they haven't done the crash test with the whole tub and the carbon-aluminum part from the sound of it. Just the part on it's own, or so it seems.

ANDY_098

yeah, but it sounds like they haven't done the crash test with the whole tub and the carbon-aluminum part from the sound of it. Just the part on it's own, or so it seems.

I thought that to start with, but if the whole tub hadn't passed its crash test it wouldn't have been homologated, in which case HRT wouldn't have wasted the cost transporting everything out to Melbourne.

My guess is the tub (with Nomex parts) passed its test, but to be safe they changed the Nomex parts back to the Aluminium ones. Albeit without permission from the FIA.

E: There is apparently a AusV8s race on at Melbourne now, any Aussies know what TV channel it's on?

Septimius

It's beginning to sound like there's no reason to stay up.. I was hoping clear skies and stable conditions to see what's what :<

What do you guys think? Wet practices are usually so boring. But it's the first one of the season. I CAN'T DECIDE

S. L.

i bet that even with rain the teams will run, with the short winter and minimal testing many teams will be more than happy to run in rain

Septimius

i bet that even with rain the teams will run, with the short winter and minimal testing many teams will be more than happy to run in rain

I'm guessing there's very little knowledge to be had from running in rain - well, umh, I guess there's actually knowledge about how the car works in rain to be gained. Well, the preshow starts soon. I'll check it out and see how it unfolds.

ANDY_098

Tony Fernandes has made a point in interviews of Caterham being the first cars out in FP1 as well, so at least 2 laps guaranteed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom