• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Red Bull are really starting to sound like complete dicks. cucumbers.

fixed that for you.

Lotus early plans for next year's car gets the nod from the Iceman

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutis...rakentaa-seuraavan-autonsa-raikkosen-ehdoilla

Kimi Raikkonen on Wednesday visited the Lotus plants in Britain Enstone check out the next season's F1 car in the plans.

Lotus in the current period E20-car plans were well under way at the point when Raikkonen at the end of November reached an agreement with the team.

Next year's car garage makes Räikkönen's wishes.

- Kim in today's purpose was to sit on next year's car blank. We are thinking of new driver's seat position in India. We wanted to test it with Kim before we develop the concept further, Räikkönen's race engineer Mark Slade reveals.

Sladen says they are well on the move next season's car design to the manufacturing stage, there would be a rush.

- We wanted to make sure that our planned changes in Kim's mind. He liked them, which was really good news. Kim is easy to work with, especially in technology, to Slade praised.

Lotus early plans for next year's car gets the nod from the Iceman

A better version from lotus' website

http://www.lotusf1team.com/Welcome-Back-Kimi-Raikkonen-Drops.html

46195df778523e5352ad3ff10c44d156.jpg

as his race engineer Mark Slade explains:

“Kimi’s main priority today was to sit in a basic mock-up we have of next year’s car. There’s some re-thinking in terms of the driver position for 2013, and we wanted to test it out before committing any further to the concept. It may seem early, but it’s better to do these things sooner rather than later otherwise it can hold up the whole design process. We’re assessing very basic features at this point; making sure the changes we’re considering are going to be ok for him and he didn’t have any problems with it which is good news! He’s a pleasure to deal with, especially on the technical side.”

For those who didn't know. Mark Slade used to be his race engineer back in the gol... macca days. Kimi asked Lotus to get him and they did. He was with Mercedes when they snatched him

Next up was a trip to the Design Office to catch up with the engineers in preparation for the Chinese Grand Prix next week, where Mark was once again on hand to run through the key points with his driver:

“We just took the chance to have a brief chat about things before Shanghai. This included discussions over the power steering and what we’re planning for that, aero improvements we have coming for the next race, and also some damper mods. We basically just gave him a quick run-down on what to expect in China, and what we’re hoping for.”

“Kimi has always gone very well at Shanghai. The last time I worked with him there was in 2006, when he was running in a strong P2 during a wet / dry race until technical problems forced him to retire. That was a real shame, but he had always performed well there in previous years as well with P3 in 2004 and P2 in 2005. Then of course there was his win in 2007.”

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Watched the 1997 season recently I had forgotten how lovely the 1997 cars were. The season before the dreaded grooved tyres and narrower cars.

ibfqaOTpz5BORL.jpg

in6zZv6q7pYcG.jpg

i9P2cRXZ7sHZw.jpg

iH7sAOMbTlkLo.jpg

iCa025N9wLmJZ.jpg

iwlMRkVa7PaMS.jpg

izXMP6y8oKgwj.jpg

iwbxArdDaD3mv.jpg

i39rPdXNZ4PAX.jpg

Im starting to dislike redbull
But why? They're this small indie garage team with cool and hip people that don't want to harm anyone and just got a little lucky to beat the traditional teams twice in a row. There's nothing corporate or asshole-ish about them.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Well, the slow motion replay seems to show him turn in, then straighten up as if he realised he was there, then turn in again.
Indeed.

1997 was a great season with a strong field. Back when the lower tier teams were quite respected. The likes of Stewart, Prost, Arrows, Tyrrell, Sauber, Jordan and Minardi. The top tier with Ferrari, Williams, McLaren and Benetton.

Monaco was one of the highlights with the rainmaster at his finest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLonxG6hlSg&feature=related

Vintage Schumacher.

Just one manufacturer team.

Shaneus

Edmond Dantès;36670887 said:
Watched the 1997 season recently I had forgotten how lovely the 1997 cars were. The season before the dreaded grooved tyres and narrower cars.

in6zZv6q7pYcG.jpg
Never mind the fact that their aero was so good it could drive up walls.

Edmond Dantès;36670922 said:
The age old F1 debate; did Michael intentionally crash into Jacques?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhyYh3NzJg0

Oh, no question. It was so disappointing.

Edmond Dantès;36671140 said:
Indeed.

1997 was a great season with a strong field. Back when the lower tier teams were quite respected. The likes of Stewart, Prost, Arrows, Tyrrell, Sauber, Jordan and Minardi. The top tier with Ferrari, Williams, McLaren and Benetton.

Monaco was one of the highlights with the rainmaster at his finest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLonxG6hlSg&feature=related

Vintage Schumacher.

Just one manufacturer team.

'97 had lots of great moments, but one of my all-time favorites was Berger winning at Hock. After coming back from missing a bunch of races because of illness, and the death of his father in a plane crash, he completely whooped the whole field. It was amazing.

He was having a horrible year too. It's like if the same thing happened to Massa today, and then he came back and poled/fastlapped/won the race. It was as improbable as it was inspirational.

http://youtu.be/DYG687mlSc0

jey_16

Banned
'97 was the first year I started watching F1, can't believe it was that long ago. Jerez was brutal being a Ferrari fan with all my friends supporting Williams.

Deadman

The williams from those years is probably my favourite looking f1 car. I loved the benettons too.

Schumacher did crash in to villeneuve on purpose. Disappointing really, he should have got it right and taken him out. Rookie mistake.

Shaneus

Wow. That's really, really, REALLY shit. I was a fan of Villeneuve's back in the day, too. Glad that in that footage, you can see the cars were built like brick shithouses and the only thing that could get them to stop was pretty much running off the track.

Glad Schumi got what was coming to him.

'97 had lots of great moments, but one of my all-time favorites was Berger winning at Hock. After coming back from missing a bunch of races because of illness, and the death of his father in a plane crash, he completely whooped the whole field. It was amazing.

He was having a horrible year too. It's like if the same thing happened to Massa today, and then he came back and poled/fastlapped/won the race. It was as improbable as it was inspirational.

http://youtu.be/DYG687mlSc0
Fuck, I love and miss that track :(

And yeah, IMO the look of the '97 cars are pretty much the image everyone thinks of when they think of Formula 1. At least, I do. Just pure and clean, no abnormal wingy bits.

My '97 highlight was the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Hill totally bossing the race in that shitty Arrows-Yamaha. Would have been one of the all time great victories if that damn washer didn't fail two laps from the finish :(

NHale

Sad conclusion to a despicable race with the usual Todt-Schummy tactics (i.e. Norberto Fontana scandal). He clearly blocked Villeneuve for a couple of laps when he was catching Schummy and 10 years later he admitted he was instructed by Jean Todt and Peter Sauber to block Villeneuve if he was in position to do so.

TCRS

Banned
My favourite is still Grand Prix 3. I started F12010 the other day.. during the race I realised I can't save. Fuck 15 lap races, but fuck 42 lap races in one go as well. Wasted £5.

This vid never gets old.

I can't remember how many "fuck you shu shit" I screamed at the screen while laughing hysterically

At that point I was watching F1 just to cheer against Schumi, my love to the Finns didn't develop yet :)

Okay, time for some Lotus updates

Lotus aims to find 'two tenths'

"We're bringing new parts which should add up to around two tenths of a second improvement in lap time,"

Working on pitstops
A specific area we've identified for improvement is pit stop times and we are focusing a greater amount of engineering effort in this direction. The areas we are looking at include the wheel nuts and wheel guns. Looking at our opposition it is clear there are gains to be made in this area."

Steering-wheel and Kimi's driving style

"Our latest set-up now gives Kimi sufficient assistance in the high speed, high load corners, but we still have yet to give him a power steering unit which offers the finesse he wants. We're making progress in this area, but the way Kimi drives the car is to find the limit on the front axle and then adjust the car very delicately around that limit; he can only do that if the steering is giving him exquisite feedback. We are working hard to provide him with perfect equipment so that he can deliver those last few tenths in qualifying."

What does that mean?

Xun

What a dick.

I definitely feel Marussia are going to keep getting stronger and stronger, especially with the McLaren partnership.

I'm somewhat rooting for them, am I alone?
I must be then.

Edmond Dantès;36679341 said:
Speaking of 1997; Formula 1 97 was and still is one of the best F1 games ever created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y6rddvIaFY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itorc8ROrD0
I played the shit out of it.

Superb game, it's just a shame the developer no longer exists.

R.I.P. Bizarre :(

No. I rather have a F1 style gear box and be able to left foot brake. Much better for track usage. For general usage, doesn't really matter.

You can't left foot brake in most road cars because the gas pedal is further to the right than it is on race cars. Thus, the brake pedal is also more to the right than it should be for left foot brake usage.

I guess you're not of the age to drive yet.
:p

Adamm

Lotus F1 team committed to name despite end of title sponsor deal:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98628

Lotus has terminated its title sponsorship deal with sportscar manufacturer Group Lotus, AUTOSPORT can reveal, but remains wholly committed to keeping the famous name in Formula 1 for the future.

On the back of financial uncertainties for Group Lotus, which was recently sold by Proton to Malaysian automotive conglomerate DRB-Hicom, Lotus F1's team owner Genii Capital has ended its formal relationship with the marque.

AUTOSPORT understands that Genii owner Gerard Lopez recently agreed a deal for the title sponsorship deal, which was originally put together in 2010, to be cancelled, as well as an old option that Proton had to buy 50% of the team annulled.

Speaking about the situation, Lopez told AUTOSPORT: "The sponsorship agreement and the obligations of Lotus have been terminated. There is no option from Group Lotus to buy into F1 now - that option was taken over by us. There was one, but we have taken it over now."

Although the end of the Group Lotus sponsorship tie-up means a change of plans for the team, Lopez says that he remains committed to the Lotus name.

"We are happy to carry the Lotus name as we believe it is a good name for F1," he explained. "We funded the team last year and the year before for whatever delta was missing. We would prefer to have sponsors up to the full amount – but if we have to fund it then we will fund it.

"When we changed the name from Lotus Renault to Lotus [for this year], it opened up the door for a title sponsor. So if you take into account the fact we signed Unilever, probably the biggest sponsorship agreement this year in F1, and we signed Microsoft, which is huge news as it is a brand that has never been in F1 before, we have a wide space for sponsorship.

"If we sign a title sponsor now, we will end up with a better cash flow situation than this team ever had before."

Lopez has previously been linked with a potential takeover of Group Lotus, having held talks with Proton before it was recently sold, but he says the situation for him at present is unclear in light of the DRB-Hicom deal.

When asked if he would be interested in buying Group Lotus, Lopez said: "We don't know yet, because we really do not know what the new owner wants to do with it."

I dont understand Lotus....

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I dont understand Lotus....
Holy hell thats confusing?
No longer sponsored by Lotus (Proton) company as title sponsor but going to be still called Lotus as the F1 team (Lotus Racing) still own the right to use the name??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom