• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiggyRT

No doubt he deserved it, but in the first half dozen races there were only really 2 drivers in it pretty much. The back end of the season there were plenty of race winning cars out there so he never really lost out when he had a bad result.

Edmond Dantès;36766799 said:
Indeed.

Jenson was very Prost like in the second half of the season and genuinely deserved the title after 17 rounds.

I never said he didn't deserve it! I was replying to someone who said Button is better than Vettel coz Vettel has a superior car!. Vettel never enjoyed a gap to the field that Button had in the first half of 2009.

I still rate Vettel as a better champion, not necessarily a better driver, especially since Button kept performing very well

AcridMeat

Banned
It may just be the fact I'm a bit sleep deprived, but imagining an F1-GAF meet up would be kind of fucking hilarious.

I just want to know if Myoclonic would be as talkative.

Is that...is that a pair of underwear between your thighs?

If that is you.

That's my cap, and that's my wife :)

EDIT:

magic

m2.gif

Your perception of champion/driver skill is flawed.

How?

Vettel fought much harder to get his first WDC, and if you ask who was more deserving I'd say Vettel. His second one came fairly easier

Button keeps improving and proving everyone wrong, but I still think that he got his first easy

As drivers skills, I'd rate them both the same while I used to rate Vettel much higher

Ark

How?

Vettel fought much harder to get his first WDC, and if you ask who was more deserving I'd say Vettel. His second one came fairly easier

Button keeps improving and proving everyone wrong, but I still think that he got his first easy

As drivers skills, I'd rate them both the same while I used to rate Vettel much higher

Vettel had the same advantage Button did in 2009 until Canada, he just failed to capitalise on it and reliability bit him in the arse. In 2011 he finished on the podium in every race except Germany and Abu Dhabi. It wasn't until Alonso and Ferrari got their game together in Silverstone that Vettel had a harder time grabbing the title. Also remember that the only reason he even won the title was because Ferrari made an awfully silly strategy error.

Button didn't win a single race after Turkey in 2009, and only finished on the podium twice after Turkey. In Monza and in Abu Dhabi. Rubens was there the entire time and had it not been for one of the most unlucky tyre punctures ever, could have taken the title for himself in Abu Dhabi.

Button proved he was a worthy champion in his second race at McLaren in 2010, when he won Australia. An 'unworthy' champion is only unworthy if he doesn't show any racing prowess after that championship, ala Hill and Jacques. Button immediately showed that he could bring the challenge to Hamilton at McLaren too. Even three years on he scored the most points of anyone in the second half of 2011 and finished second, and now he's already won a race in the dry here and was right on the way to winning Malaysia if it wasn't for his costly mistake.

You forget that Brawn had no money. After the European upgrades came in Brawn couldn't extend their advantage, they were essentially having to play it smart and hope for luck for the rest of the year. Luck, being something that Vettel has had bundles of in 2010 and 2011, that is undeniable. Vettel didn't 'fight' for his title, it was his title to lose from the beginning (in retrospect), and he almost did lose it.

I do not rate a champion on his champion year(s) alone, that is wrong and flawed. By that logic Alonso would be an awful champion before 2010.

Vettel had the same advantage Button did in 2009 until Canada, he just failed to capitalise on it and reliability bit him in the arse. In 2011 he finished on the podium in every race except Germany and Abu Dhabi. It wasn't until Alonso and Ferrari got their game together in Silverstone that Vettel had a harder time grabbing the title. Also remember that the only reason he even won the title was because Ferrari made an awfully silly strategy error.

Button didn't win a single race after Turkey in 2009, and only finished on the podium twice after Turkey. In Monza and in Abu Dhabi. Rubens was there the entire time and had it not been for one of the most unlucky tyre punctures ever, could have taken the title for himself in Abu Dhabi.

Button proved he was a worthy champion in his second race at McLaren in 2010, when he won Australia. An 'unworthy' champion is only unworthy if he doesn't show any racing prowess after that championship, ala Hill and Jacques. Button immediately showed that he could bring the challenge to Hamilton at McLaren too. Even three years on he scored the most points of anyone in the second half of 2011 and finished second, and now he's already won a race in the dry here and was right on the way to winning Malaysia if it wasn't for his costly mistake.

You forget that Brawn had no money. After the European upgrades came in Brawn couldn't extend their advantage, they were essentially having to play it smart and hope for luck for the rest of the year. Luck, being something that Vettel has had bundles of in 2010 and 2011, that is undeniable. Vettel didn't 'fight' for his title, it was his title to lose from the beginning (in retrospect), and he almost did lose it.

I do not rate a champion on his champion year(s) alone, that is wrong and flawed. By that logic Alonso would be an awful champion before 2010.

I never said he didn't deserve it! I was replying to someone who said Button is better than Vettel coz Vettel has a superior car!. Vettel never enjoyed a gap to the field that Button had in the first half of 2009.

I still rate Vettel as a better champion, not necessarily a better driver, especially since Button kept performing very well

@alo_oficial
In Madrid waiting the first of the two airplanes taking us to Shanghai. Music, photos and sleep are the plans for the next 18h...;)

@F1nsider
@alo_oficial Is Massa on the 2nd air plane? What if their pilot was faster than yours?

*giggles*

lol Webber posted this

Apd3Eg_CQAEBV6n.jpg

EDIT:
Can't even be bothered to reply to me. I don't know why I bother some times.

No no no don't say that! it's just its exactly what I want to say to you. No disrespect intended here. But I have nothing more to add. Someone said that Button is a more deserving champ because Vettel had a better car. I don't agree with that, Button had a breeze of a first half of the season. He only needed to be in the points later on to keep his lead.

Ark

You should remove that, that's just disgusting. Plus it's been circulating the internet for over a week already.

Ark

What does this have to do with Vettel vs Button?

Listen I don't want to debate this anymore. If you guys think that Button is a more deserving WDC its fine by me! I just don't agree with it :)

Don't start a debate if you're not going to follow through with it. All you do in this thread is post silly fanboy Kimi stuff, repost a bunch of stuff from F1 drivers' Twitters and post silly short sentence answers to half the posts on the page like 'lol!' that serve no purpose at all.

And then when a topic goes a way you don't agree with you post 'can we stop talking about this please?'. I know I sound like a dick, but I don't want to spend all year putting up with your Kimi spam. To compare; the Webber stuff is fine because it only happens every so often and it's just an amusing running joke, but the Kimi stuff is all the time.

Don't start a debate if you're not going to follow through with it. All you do in this thread is post silly fanboy Kimi stuff, repost a bunch of stuff from F1 drivers' Twitters and post silly short sentence answers to half the posts on the page like 'lol!' that serve no purpose at all.

And then when a topic goes a way you don't agree with you post 'can we stop talking about this please?'. I know I sound like a dick, but I don't want to spend all year putting up with your Kimi spam. To compare; the Webber stuff is fine because it only happens every so often and it's just an amusing running joke, but the Kimi stuff is all the time.

ok

Perfect example right there.

I don't know how everyone else feels but I'm bored of it.

EDIT: It appears we've forgotten the finger counter this yeah:

buttonfingerj7kq.gif
alonso-ferrari-silversnojd.gif

I don't want to get into silly kids fights with you. You're attacking me personally and I don't remember being but respectful to everyone here.

If you don't like my posts just ignore them, and I remember I've asked you to do that before when you didn't like the way I link the news here.

I'm not here to please you, you know? :)

I'll refrain from commenting on this any further

Cheers

Ark

I don't want to get into silly kids fights with you. You're attacking me personally and I don't remember being but respectful to everyone here

If I was attacking people personally I would have been banned long ago. Honestly you don't help your case when you reply with 'ok', just ignoring my post would have been a far better showing. By actually replying you're taking the bait.

Anyway, I'm done.

If I was attacking people personally I would have been banned long ago. Honestly you don't help your case when you reply with 'ok', just ignoring my post would have been a far better showing. By actually replying you're taking the bait.

Anyway, I'm done.

You know what? If that's really how I make people feel then I apologise and I'll keep away from GAF

I've been a member since ever but I only started posting again in the F1 thread.

If that what you guys want. No hard feelings

Ark

You know what? If that's really how I make people feel then I apologise and I'll keep away from GAF

I've been a member since ever but I only started posting again in the F1 thread.

If that what you guys want. No hard feelings

I'm the only one here complaining.

ANDY_098

New - more open - SECU from 2013
http://www.tomorrownewsf1.com/f1-un-ecu-plus-libre-a-partir-de-2013-27428
Translation:
Introduced in 2008 under the reign of the old president of the FIA Max Mosley, the ECU, standard electronic system had no problems since, except the recent business around the Renault engines [Allegedly circumventing off throttle blowing rules this pre-season]. The fact remains that the ECU will be used once again over the period of 2013 – 2015, still subcontracted to the duo McLaren Electronic Systems – Microsoft.

Given that the introduction of the 1.6L V6 engine has been pushed back by one year, into 2014, one year of transition with the V8s will occur in 2013. The fact remains that the new version of the ECU will allow more freedom than today for the last year of operating the naturally aspirated engines.

Peter Van Manen, the representative for the ECU to McLaren Eletronic, points out that the next year's standard electronics version will be more open and will give more freedom to the engineers. 75 % of the system will be standardised, but 25 % will be liberated for the use of the teams. Nevertheless, not to be mistaken, the system is still designed to avoid issues like traction and launch control. The restrictions are reduced, but remain an important point in Formula 1.

Charlie Whitings on this years EBDs:
I think (the effect) will be 20 percent of what they had before.
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-charlie-whiting-admits-exhaust-rule-tweak-likely-for-2013/

I don't want to get into silly kids fights with you. You're attacking me personally and I don't remember being but respectful to everyone here.

If you don't like my posts just ignore them, and I remember I've asked you to do that before when you didn't like the way I link the news here.

I'm not here to please you, you know? :)

I'll refrain from commenting on this any further

Cheers

Hi

I'm a long-time lurker. For years now. I just logged in this time to say that Ark has a point. I'd like you to know that. You're just too darn annoying, most of the time.

I'm the only one here complaining.

Don't do it too much, but this time, I'm backing you :)

Sorry for being negative this time.
I'd like all the rest to keep doing what they do, this threads always cracks me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom