• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

I completely forgot to subscribe to this and wondered why nobody was replying after I posted that pic on the last page... I thought I killed it!

In case anyone missed it, I'm ready for next Thursday:
img_1480pikvz.jpg

So is Mark:
svWEBBER-420x0.jpg

FYI, there are isolated showers predicted for Thursday and Friday (with the chance of a thunderstorm late Thurs) and a small chance of scattered showers on Saturday. I'll be keeping an eye on the weather as the week progresses and let you all know when there's more accurate predictions (other than an Australian 1-2).

I completely forgot to subscribe to this and wondered why nobody was replying after I posted that pic on the last page... I thought I killed it!

In case anyone missed it, I'm ready for next Thursday:
img_1480pikvz.jpg

So is Mark:
svWEBBER-420x0.jpg

FYI, there are isolated showers predicted for Thursday and Friday (with the chance of a thunderstorm late Thurs) and a small chance of scattered showers on Saturday. I'll be keeping an eye on the weather as the week progresses and let you all know when there's more accurate predictions (other than an Australian 1-2).

Just to let you know, we didn't reply because we're jealous as fuck.

Shaneus

Just to let you know, we didn't reply because we're jealous as fuck.
Now I think of it, I 'shopped myself onto the wrong pic ;) But I was actually talking about the notifications from subscribed threads because I'd posted in here, but hadn't subbed to it.

jambo

Terribly sorry, very serious oversight on my part. I assume you can see the team writeups just fine since they have their own background right? I may go back and make some changes, not sure yet.

Yeah the team writeups are good, it's just the Intro, the Rule Changes, the 2011 Season in Review and the F1 2011 Get Competitive part that are black text with transparency, which gives people on the Pro Dark style black on dark grey.

Thanks for the reply =]

oipic

Great OP - terrific work, that. It hereby receives the Daniel Ricciardo Two Thumbs-Up Seal of Approval:

ricciardopskrq.jpg

Here's to F1-GAF 2012! Everyone play nicely now.

Mush

I'm beginning to think that Shaneus' love for Mr. Webber borders on either homosexuality or some strange fetish for chiseled chins.

This is the most amazing OT ever.

Also, my body is ready for 2012 to start. Sadly, I won't be watching Malaysia because I'll be visiting a good friend but I'm looking forward to F1 coming back to my country for a grand prix ... even if Indy was closer.

TylerD

I hope i'm typing this right because my face was blown away by the awesome of the OP. Those gifs are stunning and I will definitely be reading the whole thing very soon.

For those of us that don't have access to the Sky Sports F1 videos I think this Youtube channel will be a decent substitute to get a small taste of some of the content.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SeventyBuckss?feature=watch

Staab

That's how an OP should be done, customized, straight to the point, informative and just plain awesome, GJ !

defel

So excited about this season. Im rooting for Button but its so good to be in a position where anyone could win and I'd be happy. He's hoping for an exciting year and may the best man win!

Xun

The current Concorde agreement doesn't allow it to be pay-per-view only. So it will never move completely to Sky unless the F1 teams agree to it.
Fair enough.

I just wish we at least had a chance to have all of the races on the BBC again, but that'll never happen sadly.

Also from the videos I've seen of the Sky F1 footage, it certainly looks a lot more artificial than the BBC's coverage.

The studio is very awkward.

The real test will be this weekend when they're in the pits. I personally don't think they have the personalities to pull it off there, either.

I think for the races the BBC have as well I'm going to watch BBC pre-show, SKY race, BBC post-show (and Forum).

Wes

venison crêpe
Sigh. I will surely miss listening to Crofty on FiveLive and watching on terrestrial television. I've done this for so long, it just doesn't feel the same doing something different. Glad they've brought in James Allen to replace him and with Alguersuari and Jennie Gow it could make an interesting setup.

I won't go on to the Sky topic any more as you all know how I feel on the matter. I'm annoyed that I wont be able to watch these past and present champions battle it out live over 20 races, I just hope those of you will full access enjoy the season. I think it'll be a cracker.

Wonderful OP.

Dominicali feeling the heat

"I've got pressure on my back, which is as it should be," Domenicali said. "I am not the one who designs the car: my task is to give my people everything they need in terms of organisation and structure. Having said that, I am very much aware of my responsibilities. There is pressure, but I feel the support of the whole team and of president Montezemolo."

If this year turns out to be another flop, he should be replaced

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sounds so so messy:
The rules on defensive driving in F1 have been reinforced ahead of the new season.

Drivers have been reminder they are required to lave room for another car when moving back towards the racing line.

FIA race director and safety delegate Charlie Whiting has explained the FIA’s clarification of the rules:

“This isn’t really a new overtaking rule,” he said. “Rather we’ve put into the regulations what was an unwritten rule.

“A driver can make one move only to defend a position – but when that driver then moves back onto the racing line to take a corner it can be construed as a second move, which is not allowed. It’s a matter of deciding to what degree resuming the original line is acceptable.

“We don’t want to get into silly arguments about centimetres so we’ve decided the defending driver must leave at least one car width on the racing line otherwise he will be judged to have made a second move and penalised accordingly. We need to have drivers giving each other space on the track – otherwise we risk dangerous collisions.”
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/03/11/fia-explains-defensive-driving-rules-clarification/

dalin80

Banned
Iam surprised the FIA just didn't do the easy thing and give ferrari a hand at the same time and revoke massa's licence, everyone would be a winner.

Shaneus

Great OP - terrific work, that. It hereby receives the Daniel Ricciardo Two Thumbs-Up Seal of Approval:

ricciardopskrq.jpg

Here's to F1-GAF 2012! Everyone play nicely now.
Ahaha, love it.

I'm beginning to think that Shaneus' love for Mr. Webber borders on either homosexuality or some strange fetish for chiseled chins.
You're not in here often enough to be the judge of that!

It's beyond sexuality, that chin is like a work of art. Appreciate it as you would the statue of David.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

AKA the Massa-Hamilton rule.
And what do you have to say about this, Massa?

Edmond Dantès;35922170 said:
Sky Sports F1's on location studio.

AntbLt8CEAABVXl.jpg

Interesting approach having their own studio in the paddock.

Any images from inside? looks rather small and a very tall.

If the channel goes under then it's your fault, Diablo. 200,001 was their target audience figure, you know!

I'd watch it if I did not have to pay more out of my nose for skygo, £28 is already pushing it as I never watch sky sports 1, 2 or 3.

torontoml

Canadian Gaf: What other ways to watch Formula1 in Canada other than subscribing to TSN?

Speed TV sometimes, but then you would have to subscribe to that as well. Hopefully someone else will have more options that I am unaware of.

I get TSN but not TSN 2 and I won't be staying up till 5am to see the end of next weekends race.

mclaren777

Lewis Hamilton said:
It's not necessarily that I lost the discipline, just that I was massively disciplined at that time. Then my focus was spread over a wider range of things. Now it's a lot back to where it used to be. It's all about the decisions you make, about the things you want to do in your life, your focus on training, not wasting energy.

It's a real combination of things. Such as if I get a call from a friend, they say 'do you want to go out tonight for a drink before the race weekend or before the season starts', and instead of saying 'yeah let's go and do it' you'll be staying at home and training the next day. That is the kind of sacrifices you need in F1.

Last year quite a lot of times I went out and enjoyed myself thinking that these things don't affect you but in actual fact they do, they have a knock-on effect. It takes you two days to recover, you miss two days of training and your mind is somewhere else when you get to the race.

There will be times to attack and times to sit back. It's not that I have a different mindset, because I've kind of had that mindset in the past but maybe not as strong, and perhaps I haven't executed it in quite the right way. At the times when I was supposed to lean back, I have attacked. It's all about being able to make those judgements with a clear mind, and I feel I now have that again.

Now I'm looking forwards. This year is what matters. Last year has absolutely no bearing on me, I don't care about last year. It's what's ahead of me which will define me.

Source

Shaneus

He gets paid millions of dollars to be a precision driver and he's calling staying home when mates go out as a "sacrifice"? Holy shit. Dude may be an experienced driver but he's clearly still immature in other respects.

He gets paid millions of dollars to be a precision driver and he's calling staying home when mates go out as a "sacrifice"? Holy shit. Dude may be an experienced driver but he's clearly still immature in other respects.
I actually wanted to agree with you, but he's right. Of course it's a sacrifice for him. He is still young and all that money does nothing for him, when he can't enjoy his youth with his friends. When his career is over, his friends will likely have family and instead of going to a club, he'll get an invitation to a wine tasting party. I'm not saying "Ohhh, poor poor Lewis", but let's not forget that he didn't grow up like a normal person and always had to do certain sacrifices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom