• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
It helps that they all *know* Lee. Particularly Vettel. I'm a little surprised Kravitz doesn't get the same acknowledgement, though. Also, I assume Brundle's still able to rope people in well enough?

Brundle struggled to get Jenson Button

BBC got him in a flash

edit: surely the bernie tax is still payable? they are still broadcasting it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OK so i'm confused

BBC struck deal with Sky to ensure BBC remains with F1 but cuts costs

where are costs cut?

They still have 3 people on the ground at least to front the screen, Camera men are still there and they are still recording their own segments @ each track

Sure they don't have the production guys doing the actual race feeds, but correct me if i am wrong each country has a host broadcaster (in this case Channel 10) that becomes the World Feed that each country takes?

So if thats the case, just where was the huge expense for the BBC?

I am puzzled.

edit: post race DESTROYS sky

its no where NEAR the quality of BBC. They have a ton of work to do and to do that they need to find people with F1 pedigree. EJ gives the owners view, DC the drivers view.

You need F1 background to talk F1 imo :|

doesn't cost much for a few guys to fly out with a camera to each race, compared to how much they were spending on the license do do that.

TBH I wish they'd just pooled resources, had the BBC production team produce the whole thing, and sky just slap their own credits on it for themselves. So same brundle/coulthard commentating, Jake presenting, Lee in the pits.

I don't have sky so I get most of that, but I do miss Brundle. Just not enough to spend £22 a month to get him on Virgin

Choc

Banned
I wonder if Sky has any idea what they are in for. Sky seem to think that money can do anything (and generally it can) but unlike Football they will not be able to revolutionise F1 for numerous reasons.

1. They do not control the feed. Even silverstone because the BBC took Silverstone coverage live (as you would expect). This means they can only use what the host broadcaster can provide them

2. They did this with football. 'Bought' the sport basically in the Premier League era and turned it on its head, trippeling the cameras, having more staff on site etc and that has been a revolution. Football coverage is nothing like it used to be and Sky has really taken the English game to an amazing level, in the coverage worldwide and its not the no 1 league (following wise, maybe not quality wise) in the world. The FA could have only dreamed of this in 1991.

3. HOWEVER with Bernies deal and his control, Sky is going to be very restricted to what they can show and how they show it. Unless they can setup their own feeds (yeah right), they will be stuck with what they can get in which case the value add of Sky should be the pundits of the analysis. Right now they are mega fail on this.

Kinda thinking this quite possible could be a be careful what you wish for moment with Sky.

kharma45

I wonder if Sky has any idea what they are in for. Sky seem to think that money can do anything (and generally it can) but unlike Football they will not be able to revolutionise F1 for numerous reasons.

1. They do not control the feed. Even silverstone because the BBC took Silverstone coverage live (as you would expect). This means they can only use what the host broadcaster can provide them

2. They did this with football. 'Bought' the sport basically in the Premier League era and turned it on its head, trippeling the cameras, having more staff on site etc and that has been a revolution. Football coverage is nothing like it used to be and Sky has really taken the English game to an amazing level, in the coverage worldwide and its not the no 1 league (following wise, maybe not quality wise) in the world. The FA could have only dreamed of this in 1991.

3. HOWEVER with Bernies deal and his control, Sky is going to be very restricted to what they can show and how they show it. Unless they can setup their own feeds (yeah right), they will be stuck with what they can get in which case the value add of Sky should be the pundits of the analysis. Right now they are mega fail on this.

Kinda thinking this quite possible could be a be careful what you wish for moment with Sky.

Their biggest mistake was giving F1 its own sports channel. Yes it made them look serious about it but they really don't have enough content to run a full-time channel solely devoted to the sport.

Choc

Banned
Their biggest mistake was giving F1 its own sports channel. Yes it made them look serious about it but they really don't have enough content to run a full-time channel solely devoted to the sport.

yeah and i think it gives the impression they charge more for that channel even though they don't

Yes the F1 clashes with Premier League in the european season, but get around it somehow

edit: if anything the Premier League/Championship could easily have its own channel versus F1. Much more content and its not such a 'closed' sport

Dead Man

OK so i'm confused

BBC struck deal with Sky to ensure BBC remains with F1 but cuts costs

where are costs cut?

They still have 3 people on the ground at least to front the screen, Camera men are still there and they are still recording their own segments @ each track

Sure they don't have the production guys doing the actual race feeds, but correct me if i am wrong each country has a host broadcaster (in this case Channel 10) that becomes the World Feed that each country takes?

So if thats the case, just where was the huge expense for the BBC?

I am puzzled.

edit: post race DESTROYS sky

its no where NEAR the quality of BBC. They have a ton of work to do and to do that they need to find people with F1 pedigree. EJ gives the owners view, DC the drivers view.

You need F1 background to talk F1 imo :|

I think it was more getting SKY to pay them money that offset costs. Could be wrong though.

kharma45

yeah and i think it gives the impression they charge more for that channel even though they don't

Yes the F1 clashes with Premier League in the european season, but get around it somehow

With 4 Sky Sports channels there would've been plenty of room for F1 even with the Premier League.

acm2000

For Melbourne, the BBC began race coverage from 2pm on Sunday, with its extended highlights package reaching a peak audience of 3.2 million – 100,000 higher than live coverage of the same race in 2011, which peaked at 3.1 million.

just to compare to the 1m peak for sky

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Red Bull hoping for clarification
“I think that there are different interpretations of the rear wing of the Mercedes,” Christian Horner, Red Bull Team Principal, is quoted as saying by Autosport. “We have had some discussions with Charlie (Whiting, FIA technical delegate) and we chose not to protest it this weekend. There were other teams who were perhaps even more animated than we were, but I think it is something that we just want clarity on because one could argue that it is a switch that is affected by the driver.”
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/276067/red-bull-also-hoping-for-super-f-duct-clarification/

Adamm

Yeah there is no whet near enough content to fill each week. I'm wondering did they only make the channel to try and appease the angry fans.

It wouldn't surprise me if they just changed in it to "sky sports 5" next year or the year after.

And 1m audience, what time was that for? 1m people watched a 6am race? I don't believe that, bbc would struggle to get that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah there is no whet near enough content to fill each week. I'm wondering did they only make the channel to try and appease the angry fans.

It wouldn't surprise me if they just changed in it to "sky sports 5" next year or the year after.

And 1m audience, what time was that for? 1m people watched a 6am race? I don't believe that, bbc would struggle to get that.
Afternoon slot according to the reports.

Also, people are claiming that the reason Lewis is struggling to defeat Jenson is the Pirelli tyres and not been able to adapt to them and that he would be eviscerating Jenson if they were still using Bridgetone tyres.

ANDY_098

I used it and then had 5 live going on my phone. It s a HD feed and the quality was amazing with only a couple of issues buffering and having the commentary become out of sync because of that. Going to grab a hdmi av adapter and hook it up to the tv for the next race, 69p well spent.

Thanks. May give this a go at some point so I can watch on my phone.

I'm sure others will differ, but I wont be watching Sky when it's a straight out fight on live coverage vs live coverage. I just wasn't that impressed.

I might feel differently if I was watching in shiny HD with surround sound, but I'm not (Watching on the 360).

Edmond Dantès;36164871 said:
Also, people are claiming that the reason Lewis is struggling to defeat Jenson is the Pirelli tyres and not been able to adapt to them and that he would be eviscerating Jenson if they were still using Bridgetone tyres.
People claim a lot of stuff. That said, it's no secret that Button is easier on his tyres.

Such a good post.

The only new thing Sky is bringing me is a crap team that has split up the dream team that was on the BBC. Everything else is exactly the same.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm sure others will differ, but I wont be watching Sky when it's a straight out fight on live coverage vs live coverage. I just wasn't that impressed.

I might feel differently if I was watching in shiny HD with surround sound, but I'm not (Watching on the 360).

People claim a lot of stuff. That said, it's no secret that Button is easier on his tyres.
It's a sound theory though and it wouldn't first time in F1 history that one driver was more suited to a brand of tyres than another.

Lucius86

Banned
Edmond Dantès;36164871 said:
Afternoon slot according to the reports.

Meh, so what. You got to adapt to what is given to you. Lewis is still a very capable driver, one of the fastest when he takes his happy pills, and Jenson was using Bridgestone when he won his championship, so to me it's a moot point.

Button is basically a better driver then what anybody thought. And he has the fittest girlfriend out there by a country mile. He wins at life.

Dead Man

those V8's are pretty damn fast!

For a car as heavy as they are, with bugger all aero, they are pretty impressive.

Edmond Dantès;36165440 said:
It's a sound theory though and it wouldn't first time in F1 history that one driver was more suited to a brand of tyres than another.

It is a sound theory, but what is the point of arguing it? It amounts to 'he is not as good in the current hardware' no matter what way you look at it.

Meh, so what. You got to adapt to what is given to you. Lewis is still a very capable driver, one of the fastest when he takes his happy pills, and Jenson was using Bridgestone when he won his championship, so to me it's a moot point.

Button is basically a better driver then what anybody thought. And he has the fittest girlfriend out there by a country mile. He wins at life.

I don't know why, but this is still kinda surprising for me. I really can't get it in my head.

Lucius86

Banned
I don't know why, but this is still kinda surprising for me. I really can't get it in my head.

It seems to be surprising everyone - a lot of people continually underrate him. I remember an interview with Ross Brawn who said about Button in 2009 "I knew he was good, but not that good."

Kinda says it all really.

Dead Man

It seems to be surprising everyone - a lot of people continually underrate him. I remember an interview with Ross Brawn who said about Button in 2009 "I knew he was good, but not that good."

I still remember his first season at Williams, he was pretty awesome for a rookie, then he got caught up in so much rubbish about changing teams, then not changing teams, breaking contracts etc that he never had a good car or the same focus I think. I think it has taken him a while to get his head right, which he had to do before he could get a good car to show what he could do.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Briatore also recently took back his vitriolic comments about Jenson. He has seen the light like many F1 observers.

It shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone after his fantastic 2004 season and the doggedness and tenacity he exhibited during the turbulent Honda years. He paid his dues and is reaping the benefis now.

mclem

Brundle struggled to get Jenson Button

BBC got him in a flash

Wasn't Brundle struggling to get him in real-time while the Beeb got him after a cut?

(I'm actually not really doubting the Beeb's clout with everyone in the paddock, here, I think you're right that they have a lot more swing with, well, everybody, and I suspect that'll be very apparent when we get to the live races)

A quick aside: There was a brief shot of Damon Hill during the race, and Coulthard highlighted how glum he was looking.

First: A deliberate (if light) snipe?
Second: What did Sky's commentary say at that point?
Third: Will Sky still have Damon available if he's on stewarding duties? I know he's done it a few times.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I still remember his first season at Williams, he was pretty awesome for a rookie, then he got caught up in so much rubbish about changing teams, then not changing teams, breaking contracts etc that he never had a good car or the same focus I think. I think it has taken him a while to get his head right, which he had to do before he could get a good car to show what he could do.

This this this, so much this, Button showed enough promise during that rookie season to warrant the teams getting up in arms and even to the point of threatening legal action when he started messing them about with respect to the contracts, if they hadn't seen something worth fighting over he'd have been out of the sport quicker than Stewart F1 was. :p

Of course that led to a few years in the wilderness, although it wasn't only that, the playboy influence that Villneueve / Monaco living had on him really didn't help either.

He luckily saw the error of his ways and reinvented himself, got serious and professional and earned his way back to a top team, if he hadn't done this he'd be out of the sport by now, I have no doubt about that.

Edmond Dantès;36165659 said:
Briatore also recently took back his vitriolic comments about Jenson. He has seen the light like many F1 observers.

Really? - Surprising as Briatore was never known for changing his mind on anything :p

Shaneus

Edmond Dantès;36165659 said:

It shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone after his fantastic 2004 season and the doggedness and tenacity he exhibited during the turbulent Honda years. He paid his dues and is reaping the benefis now.
Yeah, I've always followed him (though not been a massive fan until recently) since he was at BAR with Villeneuve. He's matured a ton since those days... and it shows. Say what you want about the "new-gen" drivers like Vettel and Hamilton, I'm still sentimental for the more "classic" types like Webber, Button and Alonso. Hopefully V and H will grow into those moulds soon enough.

Orgun

Wasn't Brundle struggling to get him in real-time while the Beeb got him after a cut?

(I'm actually not really doubting the Beeb's clout with everyone in the paddock, here, I think you're right that they have a lot more swing with, well, everybody, and I suspect that'll be very apparent when we get to the live races)

A quick aside: There was a brief shot of Damon Hill during the race, and Coulthard highlighted how glum he was looking.

Third: Will Sky still have Damon available if he's on stewarding duties? I know he's done it a few times.

Haha I remember that shot, he looked so out of it. They didn't mention anything on Sky iirc

operon

Button is just a better driver than many of us including me didn't rate high enough. If the Mclaren can keep the pace like this, and the great development they have showed throughout the season in the last couple Button could get WDC number 2 this year

The transformation in Button's driving after he gave up the "playboy" lifestyle was amazing. It is kind of funny that his teammate, Lewis, can't seem to figure out he should maybe try the same thing. Hamilton goes from phenomenal to decent with the slightest alteration in his focus and happiness.

The only way Hamilton will ever become a driver I like as if he films a training montage with Schumacher in the German back country a la Rocky IV. Ralf can play the roll of Paulie.

Septimius

They didn't say anything in particular. Just a sort of "There he is"

Merino

My God the SkyF1 coverage was horrendous.
David Croft just made my ears bleed and ruined pretty much any enjoyment I could have had from the race. Way to loud and uncontrolled commentary, and far to many newb mistakes aswell. Post-race stuff was even worse as much as that was possible. That vid of Button's day was laughably bad and the whole after talk was largely boring. The only good thing about the whole show was Anthony Davidson's analysis.

Just started up the BB1 highlights on the iPlayer and despite it's limited format I'm already enjoying it much more than yesterday. Ben Edwards seems to work quite well alongside DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom