• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Q. (Simon Cass – Daily Mail) Jenson, I missed your victory salute; was it the W or was it a V for victory or what?

JB: I tried to think of something new but I just can't beat Seb's finger. We need to talk afterwards.

Q. (Simon Cass – Daily Mail) Do you think Seb might get as sick of seeing that as you were of the crooked finger last year?

JB: Hopefully he will.

SV: What did you do?

JB: I actually did the W with a water bottle in my hand, which didn't really work very well. Yeah, I'm sure we will sometimes see the crooked finger but hopefully not very often this year and we're going to fight as hard as we can to stop that from happening. Always love your questions.
I hope we see more of the W.

It seems to be surprising everyone - a lot of people continually underrate him. I remember an interview with Ross Brawn who said about Button in 2009 "I knew he was good, but not that good."

Kinda says it all really.

For me, my perception of him changed for the worse the year after his rookie stint at Williams when he joined Benetton. He got completely waxed by Fisi. Totally destroyed. It's almost as though he went from bright star, to also-ran in two short years.

Fast forward 11 years and I couldn't be more impressed with him now.

The transformation in Button's driving after he gave up the "playboy" lifestyle was amazing. It is kind of funny that his teammate, Lewis, can't seem to figure out he should maybe try the same thing. Hamilton goes from phenomenal to decent with the slightest alteration in his focus and happiness.

The only way Hamilton will ever become a driver I like as if he films a training montage with Schumacher in the German back country a la Rocky IV. Ralf can play the roll of Paulie.

God, I'd love to watch that.

oipic

Another factor that's often underestimated with Button is his mental 'toughness' and resolve - most champions in any given sport are acknowledged for something of a ruthless, hard factor to their character, or similar traits that give them an edge.

Button has had this largely glossed over and unnoticed given his youthful (and messy) entry to the sport, his (former) playboy ways, and his genial, gentlemanly nature (possibly even his smooth and non-dramatic driving style too). It's this perceived lack of animal and 'fight' that I think led many to be shocked when he chose to take on Lewis at McLaren?

All that aside, he's definitely 'quicker' than I would've thought possible a few years ago...but it's hard to judge at the moment - Hamilton's relative ability and pace has been difficult to judge for awhile now.

Jess and her beautiful smile must be partly responsible, too, surely? Thread needs more Michibata.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Jess and her beautiful smile must be partly responsible, too, surely? Thread needs more Michibata.
Jessica-Michibata-watermarked.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like I'm not missing much not having Sky. I thought I would really miss Brundle, but Edwards and DC did a great job.

I would like to see some more replays of that last lap, pretty crazy! Solid opening race, glad the Button won and that Alonso was able to get some points.

acm2000

It's been weird for a long time.

Unrelated, I seem to have racist sexual preferences. She really does very little for me and I don't think I've ever found an Asian woman attractive, or at least not the face.

same here, although i do admit shes a very pretty girl, is just asian women arent for me

on a side note, i compared my skygo stream of the f1 to an illegal web stream, and skygo was 10 seconds behind.... come on sky, sort your shit out

ANDY_098

F1 teams optimistic over new Concorde Agreement
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98192

Leading Formula 1 teams are optimistic that talks to frame a new Concorde Agreement with Bernie Ecclestone are progressing in the right way, amid talk that some competitors could even take a shareholding in the sport.

A story that broke on the Sky News website, which was subsequently removed, suggested that Ferrari and Red Bull were on the verge of agreeing favourable financial terms with Ecclestone - which could hand Ferrari shares in the sport, plus both outfits a seat on the F1 board.

Neither team was willing to speak openly about the situation, but both said that talks were heading towards a successful resolution.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said: "I think that what I can say is that we are in discussions, and the discussions are going on in the right way. But there is no more than that at the moment."

When asked about suggestions Ferrari may even have signed a deal, Domenicali said: "No. Not at the moment."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said about his own outfit's position: "We are in discussion about a future Concorde Agreement. We want to have a Concorde Agreement that reaches into the future and we are in discussion with FOM at the moment.

"Talks have been progressing reasonably well, so we will see."

Horner said that any decision by F1's owners CVC to float the sport on the stock exchange was not down to the teams.

"IPO (initial public offering) is really down to the current shareholders," he said. "It is not really the team's business. It is down to the current shareholders, so that is more of a question for Bernie and CVC."

But news that Ferrari and Red Bull could get more favourable terms in the future prompted questions about whether or not rival teams would feel they were still competing on a level playing field.

McLaren declined to elaborate on the situation, with a team spokesperson telling AUTOSPORT: "McLaren and indeed others are in useful dialogue with the Commercial Rights Holder, and do not want to jeopardise those discussions by further comment."

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier said: "On paper you always want more money and it is a tricky decision about what to do. I don't want to talk about it."

Ecclestone did not travel to the Australian Grand Prix, but he told The Daily Telegraph in an interview before the weekend that he was eager to get Concorde Discussions resolved before the start of the campaign, before adding: "I don't want it dragging on."

More from: http://plus.autosport.com/premium/feature/4301/who-is-winning-the-fight-for-f1-future/
Ferrari and Red Bull would each benefit to the tune of US$20-25m per annum

Ecclestone is believed to have offered four other teams – McLaren, Mercedes, Lotus and either Force India or Williams (but not both) – an extension (by seven years, thus covering the period 2013-2020) of the current agreement subject to their appending duly authorised signatures. One source suggested McLaren had rejected the deal, while Mercedes is believed to have referred its (uniquely heads of agreement) offer to the motor manufacturer's main board.

Indications are that Lotus and Force India and/or Williams have accepted the terms on offer

the intention is for the teams to formulate the regulations jointly, then hand the technical rule book over to the FIA for regulation. Under this system the 2014 technical regulations, including their 'green' V6 turbo engines, would not reach the FIA's World Motorsport Council for ratification.

However, the big prize for CVC is that, with a seven-year deal it is able to publicly list F1, as Ecclestone had originally planned back in the 1990s, but found himself thwarted by the City at every turn.

Where Bernie had wished to list in London, the plan appears to be to go east, likely Singapore. Ecclestone had recently alluded to such a step, justifying the listing of a predominantly western business on an Asian stock exchange on the basis of the region's current economic boom. But sources indicate that Asia is the preferred choice due to laxer rules.

EU and North American stock exchanges would invariably impose disclosure clauses on the listing, meaning the terms and conditions of Concorde would need be to made public – anathema to Ecclestone and Co – whereas such as Singapore would be only too pleased to accommodate the sport's special requirements. It is for this reason that Williams listed on the Entry Standard segment of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange, where little disclosure is required.

In conclusion, it is increasingly likely that within a year or two the FIA will no longer directly control the championship it created, while a bunch of moneymen will run F1 for their own accounts. The destruction of Formula 1 as a sport may finally be complete. For a precedent look no further than the US CART single-seater series, which was killed as a sporting and business entity within five years of going public.

It's been weird for a long time.

Unrelated, I seem to have racist sexual preferences. She really does very little for me and I don't think I've ever found an Asian woman attractive, or at least not the face.

Ok. You don't like Chocolate Mint builder's bars or Michibata. I was going to be diplomatic but you sir are just plain wrong at life!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Really reaching with that conclusion aren't they. I don't see F1 dying anytime soon. We all remember the F1 is dead headlines produced by the FOTA debacle, but nothing really came of it.

Interesting to look back on now though;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365645

ANDY_098

There is a hole in the RW end plate (see pic) which is normally covered by the DRS section of the wing, but when the DRS opened the hole is opened up which allows air to go down the end plates and into the beam wing. There are then ducts that go the full length of the car and exit with those holes under the front wing. It's the same principle as RW F-duct, just on the FW instead.

Essentially, the inlet to the duct is on the RW end plates and the outlets are holes on the underside of the front wing.

kuq0k.jpg

It is currently legal because it is completely passive and doesn't require the driver to do anything other than drive as he normally would. However Lotus will protest it on the grounds that it is a moveable/driver controlled aerodynamic device though because it activates when the driver opens the DRS.

I think the appeal will fail. Unfortunately other teams will learn all about the Merc system in the appeal hearing so will be copied pretty easily.

Goldrusher

There is a hole in the RW end plate (see pic) which is normally covered by the DRS section of the wing, but when the DRS opened the hole is opened up which allows air to go down the end plates and into the beam wing. There are then ducts that go the full length of the car and exit with those holes under the front wing. It's the same principle as RW F-duct, just on the FW instead.

As far as I know, nobody knows what the hole is for.

S. L.

meh, i hope it gets banned.
The legality is questionable, it's gimmicky and will be banned next season anyways. Why "force" other teams to sink money in a deadend technology?

The transformation in Button's driving after he gave up the "playboy" lifestyle was amazing. It is kind of funny that his teammate, Lewis, can't seem to figure out he should maybe try the same thing. Hamilton goes from phenomenal to decent with the slightest alteration in his focus and happiness.

The only way Hamilton will ever become a driver I like as if he films a training montage with Schumacher in the German back country a la Rocky IV. Ralf can play the roll of Paulie.

Button found Jessica, Hamilton is stuck with Nicole..

Edmond Dantès;36169335 said:
Really reaching with that conclusion aren't they. I don't see F1 dying anytime soon. We all remember the F1 is dead headlines produced by the FOTA debacle, but nothing really came of it.

Interesting to look back on now though;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365645

"Going public" was the least of the reasons why CART died. The problems that tore open wheel racing in the U.S. apart would have still had happened even if they were a private entity.

I'm curious. Where can I read about this?

Let me see if I can find a few links. :)

Also, if you need another reason to hate Bernie, from a column on the 11 men most responsible for the destructive IRL/CART split:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=1&columnist=oreovicz_john&id=3180918

8. Bernie Ecclestone
In the early '90s when former Formula One champions Nigel Mansell and Emerson Fittipaldi were dominating CART, the Champ Car series began to rival (and even threaten) F1 on the world stage. Ecclestone's response was to help cajole George into starting up the IRL as an all-oval series while at the same time convincing him to spend an estimated $35 million on an infield road course at IMS, which would host the revived United States Grand Prix starting in 2000. We all know now how that turned out -- after taking George's money on an exponentially increasing basis for seven years, Ecclestone sold Indy's spot on the F1 calendar to the highest-bidding Middle Eastern government. If anything positive came out of Indy's F1 experiment, it was that George now recognizes the appeal that road racing holds for U.S. open-wheel fans -- road races now make up almost a third of the IndyCar schedule.

Thanks, Bernie.

xptoxyz

How did Ricciardo ever finish the race after such an accident? :D

He was lucky enough that the only damage was the nose, so pitted on lap one and got a new nose fitted. I don't know how the suspension or steering arm didn't suffer from that first blow.

TylerD

Seems like RBR and STR have built some tough cars. Webber's contact looked pretty bad, emerging with nary a scratch and Ricciardo had a Williams climb up the front of his nose and all he needed was a new nose.

Thanks for the shot, they should do one of these speed comparisons at every GP to give anybody that may not know a good sense and appreciation of how ridiculously fast F1 cars really are.

That V8 SC sounds fierce.

ANDY_098

Seems like RBR and STR have built some tough cars. Webber's contact looked pretty bad, emerging with nary a scratch and Ricciardo had a Williams climb up the front of his nose and all he needed was a new nose.

Thanks for the shot, they should do one of these speed comparisons at every GP to give anybody that may not know a good sense and appreciation of how ridiculously fast F1 cars really are.

That V8 SC sounds fierce.

This one at Eau Rouge of F1 vs. road cars is very good in highlighting the massive speed difference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex5dhhpSHCw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom